• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 1 (reboot) |OT| Itagaki's Masterpiece

you have to beat very hard mode
2012-04-08-1833544mj21.jpg

beating alma 1 on hard
2012-04-08-183508r6jmz.jpg

beat either hydracubus or bone dragon on hard
2012-04-08-183452kujrk.jpg

Goddamnit. Game-breaking items be damned, even the SCREENSHOTS from that fucking screen look great.

When I buy a Vita, I'm buying this game for it. Even the worst version of Ninja Gaiden is probably the best action game on the platform.

mrpeabody

I do know of a place to get the hurricane packs. Actually, the site has (nearly?) all the Xbox1 DLC up for download. You'd need a soft-modded xbox though. I originally intended to use it to get all the DLC for my games now Live is gone, but never got around to trying them myself. People seem to be happy with them/have success with them though. I can put up a link, since it should be legal and all since you can't get the content any other way now, right?

Not legal.

MechaX

Soooo close to just buying this over XBL.

The entire "remove the hard drive WHOOPS YOUR FILE GETS CORRUPTED" issue is still giving me pause, though.

My favorite game.
Of.
All.
Time.

I like your way of thinking!

I had Sigma on my PS3 for a while now that I never played since NG takes such an investment to play. There was so much depth to the areas & level design that you couldn't just plug in & play. You had to fully dedicate yourself & not just a quick speed run through it or otherwise you would be missing out on a ton of content.

This thread has finally motivated me to play it.

regular doku too.

just beat him with the potency armlet (kicks+throws) and X,Y or X,X,Y only. the Y attack has a bunch of iframes he can't do shit about.

I found armored Doku much harder in Black than in the original, where the flying swallow basically annihilated him.

Wasn't that hard to get around, though. I just baited him into that combo he does, flying swallow straight through him, follow up with xx->xy or xxy, roll out of the way, repeat.

Spirit doku, if he blocks flying swallow, he still doesn't seem to do shit about it. I roll away, try again, hit it, follow up with xxyyy, or if I'm feeling nasty, switch to the Lunar immediately after it lands and follow-up with any of the 'mash y' combos.

benzy

Soooo close to just buying this over XBL.

The entire "remove the hard drive WHOOPS YOUR FILE GETS CORRUPTED" issue is still giving me pause, though.

Saves only get corrupted if you move the harddrive to a new 360. Team Ninja locks the saves to one console, so your saves should be fine as long as your 360 doesn't rrod.

I lost my Black saves after I had to switch consoles. :(

luka

Loves Robotech S1
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I prefer physical copies!

57mwHl.jpg

? :p

I just picked it up last week.

Okay, if I can get a disc copy of NGB, I will scoop.

Is Sigma that much worse then NGB? It seems to have everything that NGB has and more. Or are they "two different games"?
I'd agree that black is the better game overall but you can't go wrong with sigma. It looks much nicer (except for that water) and it's got a bunch of extra content and streamlined levels with fewer inane puzzle segments. People take issue with the 3 short Rachel levels because they break up the pacing and really serve no purpose nor are they very fun. My problem is how long the level load/save times are in Sigma. They're not terrible, but in comparison Black's are nearly instantaneous. Also the water in Sigma as I mentioned is hilariously awful. Overall though it's pretty much the same awesome game.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Amazing game, but not a perfect one. They really should've had you take a minuscule amount of damage for performing the Izuna Drop.

Amazing game, but not a perfect one. They really should've had you take a minuscule amount of damage for performing the Izuna Drop.

I'm ok with there being one abusable move given how little breathing room enemies give you. If this were your standard action game, where enemies politely take turns, then sure. But when you're desperate just to get some room between you and the four ninjas/demons/soldiers piling on, I'm ok with one move that will almost guarantee you some space.

Personally, my complaint is that there's no way to counter bosses, and bosses with unblockable attacks. It's always been one of those videogamey things I hate - these special enemies where the game basically says 'you know all those skills you've been honing? Yeah, forget those, they won't work cause we say so'.

I don't mind bosses that can destroy my health in 3 hits, but if I learn the patterns and am able to time a block or a counter-attack, it should do SOMETHING. Some bosses, to Team Ninja's credit, do have attacks that get their damage cut by a HUGE margin if you block. But I wish if I hit a counter attack, it would by me some room and give me a chance to set up a combo.

did you do the fiend challenges? The last two might be rewards for those.

Those are when enemies keep respawning until a chest appears? I think I did... 3 of those. One with the insects from hell, one with the red demons after the Doku fight, and one with the hovering brain wasps.

Damnit, I also missed ONE 'Life of the Gods' and ONE scarab. Damnit. I am NOT replaying this on normal again.

Ugh, I hate this last boss battle (the two form one... not the final, final one). It just robs everything great from the combat system.

Whats the best way to avoid the chomping demon head. I've tried jumping to the side, he catches me. I've tried rolling to the side, he catches me. Basically, I'm defaulting to hitting nimpo and using the invincibility frames to avoid it... which is lame (just like the whole fight).

Of course, I might just be upset cause I used to be able to beat this boss without even taking damage, and I just [accidentally] used [one of three] life charms (or whatever the get out of death free cards are called) on the first form, before annihilating the second form without a second thought.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Whats the best way to avoid the chomping demon head. I've tried jumping to the side, he catches me. I've tried rolling to the side, he catches me. Basically, I'm defaulting to hitting nimpo and using the invincibility frames to avoid it... which is lame (just like the whole fight).

shades of ng2...

Zeliard

Sigma 1 seems alright. I don't have a 360 anymore so I'm reduced to playing that version these days, but it's solid enough. I mean it's basically a Ninja Gaiden Black port so it's hard to fuck that up too much. There's that 1080p weirdness with it but I just play at 720p and it still looks decent enough, and runs well.

I haven't played it too much yet so I'm not at the Rachel chapters. Gotta love that Hayashi can't even make a straight port without throwing filler in. All he had to do was basically copy NGB - and add some of the actually useful things like items on the d-pad - but he had to also add unnecessary gameplay sections in anyway.

Those are when enemies keep respawning until a chest appears? I think I did... 3 of those. One with the insects from hell, one with the red demons after the Doku fight, and one with the hovering brain wasps.

Damnit, I also missed ONE 'Life of the Gods' and ONE scarab. Damnit. I am NOT replaying this on normal again.

Ugh, I hate this last boss battle (the two form one... not the final, final one). It just robs everything great from the combat system.

Of course, I might just be upset cause I used to be able to beat this boss without even taking damage, and I just [accidentally] used [one of three] life charms (or whatever the get out of death free cards are called) on the first form, before annihilating the second form without a second thought.

Thanks for reminding me of the one after the doku fight! Gotta go back and do that...i went right to the ice cave.

Not sure which fight you mean by "chomping demon head"...

Sigma 1 seems alright. I don't have a 360 anymore so I'm reduced to playing that version these days, but it's solid enough. I mean it's basically a Ninja Gaiden Black port so it's hard to fuck that up too much. There's that 1080p weirdness with it but I just play at 720p and it still looks decent enough, and runs well.

I haven't played it too much yet so I'm not at the Rachel chapters. Gotta love that Hayashi can't even make a straight port without throwing filler in. All he had to do was basically copy NGB - and add some of the actually useful things like items on the d-pad - but he had to also add unnecessary gameplay sections in anyway.

part of that was sony's policy of requiring a certain amount of new content too. I think people were asking for more playable characters beforehand as well, so it seemed like it could've been cool at first. It makes the game drag though because her chapters are just boring retreads. She has some fun skills, but not even a 1/10th of the character of ryu...

Ayane would've been better! She's running around Tairon the whole time as well...

SHAZOOM

I usually wait for his skull to come close, usually baiting him to either the left or right side of the island, then jump to the opposit side and roll forward. He can't make that sharp of a turn. Also, the flails are your best friend in that fight when the skulls start bombarding you.

Zeliard

part of that was sony's policy of requiring a certain amount of new content too. I think people were asking for more playable characters beforehand as well, so it seemed like it could've been cool at first. It makes the game drag though because her chapters are just boring retreads. She has some fun skills, but not even a 1/10th of the character of ryu...

Ayane would've been better! She's running around Tairon the whole time as well...

How does Ayane play in NGS2?

Ayane plays great in NGS2. Very agile, with explosive as her projectile. She plays a different style so you can't just spam UT or izuna drop all day. Her weapons are short-ranged too

@Antitype: no new game +!

Zeliard

Ayane plays great in NGS2. Very agile, with explosive as her projectile. She plays a different style so you can't just spam UT or izuna drop all day. Her weapons are short-ranged too

That's good to hear. Probably gonna get NGS2 soon.

Not really fond of the significant reduction in enemies on-screen since NG2 is balanced around constant heavy offense. Digital Foundry also indicated that the performance between the two is roughly the same in most scenes and that the reduced enemy count was basically a necessity due to the PS3's architecture.

Only NG vanilla had new game+, unfortunately.

Ah.

BTW, I don't know if it was you... I think it was.... but whoever said that the Lunar is good for the Black Spider Ninjas is a fucking genius. It eats them up!

Lunar aside, starting Ninja Gaiden Black on hard after beating it on Normal is one of the best experiences the game has. Enemies and scenarios that intimidated and challenged you at the onset of your first playthrough, are simple now. That demonstration of how far your skills have come, forged in the fires of the game's challenge, is amazing.

...that said, I'm not looking forward to some of the cheaper, pattern-based boss battles. I'll always prefer the multi-foe skirmishes that take place between the big boss battles.

Not really fond of the significant reduction in enemies on-screen since NG2 is balanced around constant heavy offense. Digital Foundry also indicated that the performance between the two is roughly the same in most scenes and that the reduced enemy count was basically a necessity due to the PS3's architecture.

I heard that was the reason for much less blood, and blood and limbs that disappear quickly.

MechaX

No NG+ wasn't so bad in NGB. They drastically changed enemy encounters, added new bosses, and even changed around the weapon/item order that it was like playing a new game on every difficulty (well, probably not between Very Hard and Master Ninja).

I never played NG2, so I can't speak on the differences. Overall with NGS2, per design, is more methodical like NGS, so the enemy per screen balances out. Also, once you get to very hard and Master Ninja, cheap stuff still exists and you wouldn't even be thinking about how many enemies are on the screen. All you will see is ninjas jumping towards you and mages either spamming fireball or teleporting to grab you lol

NGS2 also looks cleaner, but again that's by design to be more like NGS. I personally find the game to be enjoyable until MN.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
How does Ayane play in NGS2?

Wonderfully. Kind of frustrating how underpowered she is on MN, but it just forces you to play with a more finesse hit and run style of play.

Yeah, if you run through the level amassing more than 6 or 7 enemies the framerate tanks pretty hard. The system's poor alpha texture capabilities as the reason for fewer blood splatters probably has merit as well, but people seem to forget that the game is running at a significantly higher resolution than vanilla, with better textures, more complex geometry in both world and characters and more accurate environment lighting.

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
playing it for the first time since the original xbox version on vita. of course the xbox version is better, but the vita version gets the job done pretty damn well. i'm enjoying it tons, although the shooting with bow and arrow takes some getting used to

Jigsaw

Banned

ayane is amazing,so is momiji,who can chain UTs mid-air,how cool is that?

Not really fond of the significant reduction in enemies on-screen since NG2 is balanced around constant heavy offense. Digital Foundry also indicated that the performance between the two is roughly the same in most scenes

well,considering that it runs at like double the resolution this is still quite an archievement

and that the reduced enemy count was basically a necessity due to the PS3's architecture.

the ps3 can handle it,but like the 360 the framerate takes a dive when you hoard 10-12 enemies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA7Runk_lSc

though in co-op you have tons of enemies AND 2 high poly character models and it runs smooth for the most time

luka

Loves Robotech S1
but the gyro is still on and it's sensitive...you can't turn off the gyro aim completely unless I completely missed it.

so, moving the analog = moving the system = good luck with the control tower, the helicopter, and the tanks.
Wait, people aim manually during the tank fight? Do you guys do that with the chapter 2 horsemen and boss as well?

Wait, people aim manually during the tank fight? Do you guys do that with the chapter 2 horsemen and boss as well?

I think he's saying he doesn't WANT to aim, but the gyro aim is taking him into manual aim even when he doesn't intend to.

And I never aim the bow unless I have to.

Although, using explosive arrows on the tank to make the guy go back inside gives you ALOT of time to manually aim up to 4 shots with the core arrows if you want to.

But yeah, usually I just hop around and shoot, hoping the auto-aim does it's job.

I do it on the tanks but not the horsemen. I stay pretty far away from the tank and sometimes it moves and fucks up his aim.

Hell or Hell mode:

VH7v8.jpg

Sigh. Dynamo just 'blocks' my ultimate attacks. And by that, I mean it just bounce off him, after putting myself at risk by getting close to him and absorbing the essence.

Terrible. Just downright, self-indulgent bullshit for fake 'challenge'. Beneath a Ninja Gaiden game.

The way this game breaks its own rules whenever it suits it is fucking annoying on Hard, where getting hit actually has decent consequence.

This is so stupid. Can somebody explain to me why this boss has magically acquired the ability to shoot me out of the air when I'm comboing guard-rolls and jumps to evade, GUARANTEED?

I don't remember this being an issue when I played this game on the Xbox, and considering I have to also avoid being shot by hand-guns from his buddies, the fact that I am GUARANTEED to lose health getting around him is pretty fucking annoying.

Jigsaw

Banned
This is so stupid. Can somebody explain to me why this boss has magically acquired the ability to shoot me out of the air when I'm comboing guard-rolls and jumps to evade, GUARANTEED?.

uhm dunno,i always run [ ] [ ] him to death without him hitting me ^^

Top Bottom