• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 1 (reboot) |OT| Itagaki's Masterpiece

uhm dunno,i always run [ ] [ ] him to death without him hitting me ^^

Yep, that works great on normal when you don't have his buddies shooting handguns at who, which stop your run dead right in time for him to grab you and shoot you for 3/4 or your health.

I like this thread so much already.
NG BLACK is still the measuring stick for combat games. Come at me, DMC and Bayonetta fans.

Can't we just love both? NGB and DMC3 are both the best at what they do, and what they do isn't the same thing. We only group them both under the action genre because it would be messy to give every breakout title a sub genre.

Never understood why anyone can't appreciate both equally.

Me personally, I will always love DMC and it has a special place in my heart. But I will never have the hand eye coordination to master on the level as a true styler. Hell, I find anything past DMD near impossible to beat. I on the other hand "get" ninja gaiden on a much more fundamental level. I'm no reim, but I can make master ninja my bitch when I'm ready.

Yep, that works great on normal when you don't have his buddies shooting handguns at who, which stop your run dead right in time for him to grab you and shoot you for 3/4 or your health.

kill the buddies? i don't remember doing much different on hard. bait the grab or the vertical slassh, punish

Welp, I hate this.

I have a new rule for this boss fight.

No potions, no talismans. I shouldn't need them and I won't use them, regardless of how stupidly annoying it is to have the game say 'nope, you won't be moving now' even as I desperately mash on the control stick away from the badguys with the guard button down, praying I will be allowed to roll.

So now I just hit start select as soon as the health goes down.

kill the buddies? i don't remember doing much different on hard. bait the grab or the vertical slassh, punish

Yep, I do that. Here's the sequence of events.

1) Either I take out his buddies, and while I'm doing so, his magical homing shots hit me mid-combo, usually in the air.

2) I bait him into swinging or grabbing, attempt to roll away and then set up for the punishment, only to be stopped in my tracks by the handguns of his buddies, and followed up by an attack by him.

3) Any and all attempts to dance between the three are a mess of being nailed out of the air, magically, while I try to take out the goons, or having my attacks interrupted (leaving me vulnerable) by the dudes.

So, yeah, like I said, I'll do it as many times as it takes, but I hit start select as soon as my health hits zero.

I'm pretty sure Ninja Gaiden Black is responsible for killing several of my 360's. The machine just sounds strained when playing that game in particular for some reason. I'm tempted to buy the GoD version just to be able to replay it without killing my machine.

I wouldn't have minded too much, but I had to restart on Normal (maybe Hard) every time a 360 broke because the save file was tied to the console serial number. Is that still the case with the DD version or can you move the save file to another console now?

Man I really miss this game; I'm going to need to replay it some time soon. The Unlabored Flawlessness and Dark Dragon Blade are two of the greatest weapons ever. It makes me sad that they did not put them in NG2.

Jigsaw

Banned
So now I just hit start select as soon as the health goes down.

that's also annoying in the vita version,you can't soft reset (or i'm unable to do find it),you always have to quit the whole game via homebutton

also i have done the run [ ] [ ] on very hard just a few days ago :p do you have the sun armlet and lvl2 sword ?

benzy

I'm convinced XBLA all-girl fighting game stole that background

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35762003&postcount=113

Probably got the girls in skimpy clothing from NG too.

rach7dzmt.jpg

that's also annoying in the vita version,you can't soft reset (or i'm unable to do find it),you always have to quit the whole game via homebutton

also i have done the run [ ] [ ] on very hard just a few days ago :p do you have the sun armlet and lvl2 sword ?

I do the run X X combo, and as SOON as I am finished, I am nailed by one of his buddies either with melee or by the handguns. This not only causes me damage, it stops me dead in my tracks for a good fraction of a second, more than long enough for fatty to follow up with a laser blast.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I'm pretty sure Ninja Gaiden Black is responsible for killing several of my 360's. The machine just sounds strained when playing that game in particular for some reason. I'm tempted to buy the GoD version just to be able to replay it without killing my machine.

I wouldn't have minded too much, but I had to restart on Normal (maybe Hard) every time a 360 broke because the save file was tied to the console serial number. Is that still the case with the DD version or can you move the save file to another console now?

I noticed that the drive is always really noisy while playing, lots of constant activity. Probably something to do with the way the game is swapping cache data due to the difference in how the HDD was used in the original system. It's really dumb that you can't install OG xbox games.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand done with this.

For a long time.

I don't have the time of the patience for this. I know what I have to do, I'm doing it to the LETTER, and I'm being punished for it repeatedly.

Not fun.

I noticed that the drive is always really noisy while playing, lots of constant activity. Probably something to do with the way the game is swapping cache data due to the difference in how the HDD was used in the original system. It's really dumb that you can't install OG xbox games.

do you guys get the super long load time at the beginning (like i described in the OP)? Maybe the GoD version caches it differently? The only other load time in the game is occasionally for a second going into the chapel and before entering the sewer, after ghost riding the train (enemies take forever to appear...im' assuming it's loading)

For a long time.

I don't have the time of the patience for this. I know what I have to do, I'm doing it to the LETTER, and I'm being punished for it repeatedly.

Not fun.

Our first casualty? :) Take a break, go back to it tomorrow...there's always some blind spot when you get enraged at this game.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
do you guys get the super long load time at the beginning (like i described in the OP)? Maybe the GoD version caches it differently? The only other load time in the game is occasionally for a second going into the chapel and before entering the sewer, after ghost riding the train (enemies take forever to appear...im' assuming it's loading)
Yep, mine behaves the same. I don't think the sewer enemies are a loading block though. It's probably just on a timer or something stupid and unnecessary like that. :p Sigma does it too.

For a long time.

Not fun.

first rage quit! wouldn't be a ninja gaiden thread without 'em.

Our first casualty? :) Take a break, go back to it tomorrow...there's always some blind spot when you get enraged at this game.

Yeah.

it's not the game. It's the knowledge that I've done this, done it with no trouble, and now this boss is giving more trouble than he's worth. It's fucking infuriating.

EDIT:

LMAO, watching videos of the fight on Youtube. Love how not ONCE does Dynamo hit them in close with the gun, while he uses it on me within 5 feet if I take 2 seconds to deal with one of his buddies.

Yea it still does the long load if you doing a new game on the GOD version and you can't skip the intro the first time around for some reason also.

It seems the loading for the chapters are much quicker than the disc version though (IIRC)

The 360 sets aside around 2GB of data the same way an Xbox 1 had for games to use for a streaming cache and other purposes. There were a few games that used it later in the OG Xbox' life like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Doom 3, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Far Cry... probably others too. These games all had lengthy install periods before starting gameplay (some disguised by an unskippable video) and so did Ninja Gaiden/Black.

For some reason, the 360 takes longer to read the installs than the OG Xbox which means you have to watch that text loop for a lot longer than you did in its original form. But once you've sat through it, and don't play any other games which utilise the cache, you shouldn't have to sit through it again.

I believe some 360 games utilise the cache so they may wipe over the Ninja Gaiden data, meaning you will have to wait if you play something else first.

Edit: I'm tired and may have replied to a question that nobody asked, time for bed.

benzy

Sigh. Dynamo just 'blocks' my ultimate attacks. And by that, I mean it just bounce off him, after putting myself at risk by getting close to him and absorbing the essence.

Terrible. Just downright, self-indulgent bullshit for fake 'challenge'. Beneath a Ninja Gaiden game.

The way this game breaks its own rules whenever it suits it is fucking annoying on Hard, where getting hit actually has decent consequence.

This is so stupid. Can somebody explain to me why this boss has magically acquired the ability to shoot me out of the air when I'm comboing guard-rolls and jumps to evade, GUARANTEED?

I don't remember this being an issue when I played this game on the Xbox, and considering I have to also avoid being shot by hand-guns from his buddies, the fact that I am GUARANTEED to lose health getting around him is pretty fucking annoying.

For a long time.

Not fun.

I'm really confused with your posts because...

Something doesn't quite add up. You've beaten both NGB and NG2 on Master Ninja and here you are having a hard time beating Dynamo on Hard mode. If you've beaten Master Ninja then you should have known that he has always been able to shoot you while you're in the air along with blocking ultimate techniques.

I'm really confused with your posts because...

Something doesn't quite add up. You've beaten both NGB and NG2 on Master Ninja and here you are having a hard time beating Dynamo on Hard mode. If you've beaten Master Ninja then you should have known that he has always been able to shoot you while you're in the air along with blocking ultimate techniques.

I beat Ninja Gaiden Black on Master Ninja in 2005. It's been 7 years.

As I said, the reason I'm angry is because I know I've beaten him, and every other boss on tougher difficulties, and I shouldn't be having the difficulty I am with him.

I know what to do, and I feel I'm doing it to the letter, but I'm getting punished. So clearly what I THINK I'm doing, and what I'm actually doing aren't lining up. And I have to figure out where the disconnect is.

I'm taking a break to cool off. I'll get back to it eventually.

The 360 sets aside around 2GB of data the same way an Xbox 1 had for games to use for a streaming cache and other purposes. There were a few games that used it later in the OG Xbox' life like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Doom 3, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Far Cry... probably others too. These games all had lengthy install periods before starting gameplay (some disguised by an unskippable video) and so did Ninja Gaiden/Black.

For some reason, the 360 takes longer to read the installs than the OG Xbox which means you have to watch that text loop for a lot longer than you did in its original form. But once you've sat through it, and don't play any other games which utilise the cache, you shouldn't have to sit through it again.

I believe some 360 games utilise the cache so they may wipe over the Ninja Gaiden data, meaning you will have to wait if you play something else first.

Edit: I'm tired and may have replied to a question that nobody asked, time for bed.

haha, it's all interesting info to me! I had no idea why that load is there on the 360 and not the xbox 1.

kind of a small miracle they got the game running so well on the 360, compared to other games.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I beat Ninja Gaiden Black on Master Ninja in 2005. It's been 7 years.

As I said, the reason I'm angry is because I know I've beaten him, and every other boss on tougher difficulties, and I shouldn't be having the difficulty I am with him.

I know what to do, and I feel I'm doing it to the letter, but I'm getting punished. So clearly what I THINK I'm doing, and what I'm actually doing aren't lining up. And I have to figure out where the disconnect is.

I'm taking a break to cool off. I'll get back to it eventually.

you were complaining emphatically in the other thread about IS spam from black spiders and how they don't let you style on them with unbroken combo strings, and then in the same post turn around and say how much you love NG2.

it's not that people can't have things that rub them the wrong way about games like these, but that kind of thing is really, really confusing. :p

you were complaining emphatically in the other thread about IS spam from black spiders and how they don't let you style on them with unbroken combo strings, and then in the same post turn around and say how much you love NG2.

it's not that people can't have things that rub them the wrong way about games like these, but that kind of thing is really, really confusing. :p

Yeah, it's the same patter of thought I had first time I played NG.

"I hate this fucking game, it's unfair."

*Eureka moment*

"This game is awesome and so rewarding!"

The frustration for me now is that I don't think it's a matter of me trying to do the wrong thing, or not understanding what to do. I feel like I know exactly what I'm supposed to do, I feel like I'm doing it, and I feel like I'm getting punished for it. So obviously there's a disconnect between what I'm doing and what I should be doing, I just need to find the disconnect and correct it.

And it's kind of intensified by social comparison in a thread full of people that clearly have no such issues, lol.

I'll get over it. Eventually I'll come back to the game with a 'fuck it' attitude, use a damn potion during the boss fight even though the idea feels emasculating right now, and forget about it.

Don't recall showering NG2 with praise though. I do like the fact that while enemies can damage you if they hit your while you're charging an UT, but it doesn't automatically knock you out of the charge. That's personal preference though.

It is funny though, how I approach Ninja Gaiden differently than other games.

I remember playing through Ninja Gaiden Black in college, and my roommates were watching. And I was cursing cause I was dying at some part.

So my buddy finally says 'Damnit dude, you have 10 mini-potions and 5 big potions, just USE one already! They're there for you to use! That's the point of them!'

And I would say 'No. If I use a potion, it means I fucked up. And I can do it without fucking up.'

It's such a stupid line of thought, but it's stuck with me, even on these new play-throughs 7 years later.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Everyone has those problems, I guess a lot of people posting about ng1 these days have gotten over or learned how to deal with them. Even now with my recent playthrough there were several times that i'd bitch up a storm, like repeatedly getting knocked down the winding path platforms in the mausoleum by the archers, or figuring out how to deal with doku's shit on normal again 6 years later. Just stupid things that you hate in the spur of the moment (like getting caught by a conga line of ghost fish that you can't shake off and instantly bring you to the verge of death), but none of them ever roadblock me very long and often I'll forget I was ever annoyed by them after the fact. It's just.... videogames, man. Videogames.

I totally do that boss thing too. I know exactly what you mean when you say you feel that you should be able to do them without taking damage or using items. Alma 2 drove me up the wall because getting the flying swallow to connect seems completely random. One time I'll be able to take her down to a sliver without a scratch, then I'll use up 3 great elixirs just trying to finish her off. :p It's one of the stupid game habits like never using items in an RPG or always saving the BFG rounds for an emergency that never comes. I stopped doing those for the most part, but for a purely skill-based game like this it's a hard line to cross.

I can't say I've ever gotten the feeling that the game is "punishing me for playing it the right way" though. I just feel that the game is forcing me to experiment and adapt my playstyle to deal with new obstacles, even if some of those obstacles are the height of bullshit. :) I think it would be pretty boring if every enemy was susceptible to the same strategies and combos.

Zeliard

Speaking of potions, it feels like they're all over the place in Sigma, along with save points. I don't remember there being this many save points in Black.

SHAZOOM

Dynamo on hard:

Run x,x. He'll follow with the gun swipe > grab attempt. Dodge both attacks then repeat. If there's issues with the goons, just xyy>y them on the ground. He only uses that gun shot when your out of melee range. Watch out for the shield dome he puts up after half health.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Speaking of potions, it feels like they're all over the place in Sigma, along with save points. I don't remember there being this many save points in Black.

I'm pretty sure the number of save points is mostly the same, but there are way, way more muramasa shops in Sigma.

Easily one of the greatest games of the last generation. Black is the only way to go.

Fun fact: My old gamertag is in the credits for Ninja Gaiden Black.

sixghost

Love this game to death, I just wish it doesn't peter out so much in the last third. The Ice/Fire dungeons, the electric fish level, both Doku fights, and the tower were nowhere near the quality of the earlier sections of the game.

Dynamo on hard:

Run x,x. He'll follow with the gun swipe > grab attempt. Dodge both attacks then repeat. If there's issues with the goons, just xyy>y them on the ground. He only uses that gun shot when your out of melee range. Watch out for the shield dome he puts up after half health.

It's been posted and it's what I'm doing, but I always seem to get caught by something, which knocks me down or freezes me in place for just long enough for something bad to happen.

I'll figure it out.

Everyone has those problems, I guess a lot of people posting about ng1 these days have gotten over or learned how to deal with them. Even now with my recent playthrough there were several times that i'd bitch up a storm, like repeatedly getting knocked down the winding path platforms in the mausoleum by the archers, or figuring out how to deal with doku's shit on normal again 6 years later. Just stupid things that you hate in the spur of the moment (like getting caught by a conga line of ghost fish that you can't shake off and instantly bring you to the verge of death), but none of them ever roadblock me very long and often I'll forget I was ever annoyed by them after the fact. It's just.... videogames, man. Videogames.

Yep, I was over them too. You have to be to get through Hard, V-Hard and MNM. Seven years later, starting from scratch and relearning the nuances... feels like a drug relapse. :p

Ok, beat him. Used a potion but whatever. I saved to a new slot, so I can go back and do better if I'm ever possessed to.

Fuck I hate this game. :p

Two things though:

1) "He doesn't use his laser in melee range."

Lies. Dirty, disgusting, untrue lies. I have been shot in the face, within dragon-sword length of him, several times. This is pure, unadulterated, BS. One of the situations that game me the most trouble was when I was in melee range, and I was using the run XX move, rolling to avoid the counters, following up with XYY, and I'd roll into his buddies. I try to deal with them as fast as possible, STILL IN MELEE RANGE, and he blasts us all. They don't die of course, that would be too helpful. :p

My other favorite situation? Doing the run XX combo, and having him shoot me in the back immediately after the second hit.

2) Dodging his melee attacks.

This was what I figured out I was doing wrong. Basically, as I got frustrated, I was just getting panicky. Instead of timing my roll dodges, I was just spamming the life out of them. So he would always grab me at the end of one roll, in the split second before I could start the other.

So that's done. I am aware that boss should not have given me much trouble. Nobody knows more than I. I'll chalk it up to a mental block, a karmic balance for the ease with which I dispatched the horseback riding boss in stage 2 that everybody else seems to get hung up on.

Ahhhhhhhhhh.....

Every time this game's bosses infuriate me to the point of breaking controllers, the game wins me back with great combat against the grunts.

I had forgotten how much fun fighting these cyborgs and cat demons was. :D

yay, done with normal. just over 10,000,000 karma...a bit less than average, rushed through most of it. and now i remember the "chompy head guy"-- activated ninpo to avoid it.

Now onto Hard mode! can't wait to get to very hard! all this is practice!

yay, done with normal. just over 10,000,000 karma...a bit less than average, rushed through most of it. and now i remember the "chompy head guy"-- activated ninpo to avoid it.

Now onto Hard mode! can't wait to get to very hard! all this is practice!

Nice. I got just under 10,000,000. Like 9,700,000. Stupid rust. :p

BTW, what are the order of the mission rankings? I always figured it was the following, but never bothered to confirm it:

Ninja Dog
Lesser Ninja
Greater Ninja
Head Ninja
Master Ninja

EDIT: Oh, and smoke bombs. WTF are the good for? I have yet to find an enemy that behaves differently before and after having one detonated under them.

Nice. I got just under 10,000,000. Like 9,700,000. Stupid rust. :p

BTW, what are the order of the mission rankings? I always figured it was the following, but never bothered to confirm it:

Ninja Dog
Lesser Ninja
Greater Ninja
Head Ninja
Master Ninja

EDIT: Oh, and smoke bombs. WTF are the good for? I have yet to find an enemy that behaves differently before and after having one detonated under them.

i think that's the correct order. smoke bombs are supposed to be decent for the harder difficulties, if you're getting mobbed. The effect isn't huge, but it'll get dudes off your ass long enough to reposition yourself and get them to whiff an attack or two. I always thought the trade off for shurikens or the windmill shuriken was too much to equip them.

kamspy

This was the first game since the NES days that I broke a controller over.

It's the one game I want to be good at, but can barely, and by barely I mean not really, beat on Ninja Dog. :(

This was the first game since the NES days that I broke a controller over.

It's the one game I want to be good at, but can barely, and by barely I mean not really, beat on Ninja Dog. :(

Beat Ninja Dog and then jump right back in to Normal. You'll be amazed how the fights you found intimidating at the beginning of your first play-through are simple on your second play-through.

This does not apply to bosses, who are cheap, dirty bastards no matter what anybody tells you (except for Alma and Doku, who are wusses both times out). :p

kamspy

Beat Ninja Dog and then jump right back in to Normal. You'll be amazed how the fights you found intimidating at the beginning of your first play-through are simple on your second play-through.

This does not apply to bosses, who are cheap, dirty bastards no matter what anybody tells you (except for Alma and Doku, who are wusses both times out). :p

I have no more consoles. :(

One of the few console exclusives that elude in my quest for one gaming platform.

It's 30fps on Vita right? 60fps NGB would make me go to Wal Mart and buy a Vita right this very second.

I have no more consoles. :(

One of the few console exclusives that elude in my quest for one gaming platform.

It's 30fps on Vita right? 60fps NGB would make me go to Wal Mart and buy a Vita right this very second.

30fps Ninja Gaiden Black is still the best action game on the platform. :p

So hands down the best weapon in NG/B? I think it's the Dabliahro. TDS for faster enemies or Vigoorian Flail until TDS. Unlabored Flawlessness is great too, but I think Dabliahro is much better.

So hands down the best weapon in NG/B? I think it's the Dabliahro. TDS for faster enemies or Vigoorian Flail until TDS. Unlabored Flawlessness is great too, but I think Dabliahro is much better.

Every weapon has it's uses. The Dragon Sword is definitely my go-to, I would rate it above any other weapon in the game.

Zeliard

I've always been fond of the Lunar in NGB.

In NG2, unquestionably the Tonfas. Those are probably my favorite weapons in any 3D action game ever.

I've always been fond of the Lunar in NGB.

In NG2, unquestionably the Tonfas. Those are probably my favorite weapons in any 3D action game ever.

Did you find the Tonfas were actually more effective than other short-range weapons (claws, flails, etc), or did you just enjoy the crunchy sound-effects of them hitting bone? :p

kamspy

I wish I could rent a Vita. I'm 6'6 and have the hand size of Norse God, and every single portable has given me hand cramps after half hour tops.

I bought the PSP 3 times in hope that I could like it.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Dragon sword is my favorite but I use Dabliahro for those mini dragons and laser fiends, nun chuck for those ghost fish assholes

Top Bottom