• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 1 (reboot) |OT| Itagaki's Masterpiece

Veelk

Banned
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but since this seems to be the most active NG thread, I might as well put it here.

What is everyone's favorite default costume in the series?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but since this seems to be the most active NG thread, I might as well put it here.

Of those three, the first one. NG2 is basically the same, but Ryu's ass is unsettlingly shiny.

Of all the costumes in all the games, my favorite is Ryu's alternate white costume from Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2:

F_RYU_002-noscale.jpg

I wish, with all of my soul, that it was available in the superior Xbox 360 version.

Veelk

Banned
I think it'd be best if we could mix and match. I'd want the body armor the NG3, with the gauntlets,leg gaurds, and straps of NG2, with the headgear of NG1.

Leckan

How can you play the mission mode in NG black if you play the the OG Xbox version if you haven't completed hard difficulty? I have to admit it's just too hard and frustrating too me and I bought it mostly for the mission mode a couple of years ago since iI already completed it on the OG version.

NG2 for me

As far as alts go, the Shadow Walker DLC one in green for NG2 or the one you get for beating Hard in NGB (red scarf).

benzy

Ng1's black falcon outfit. I hate the random carbon fiber peices in 2's version.

561532_20030724_screen004.jpg

Just destroyed Alma on Hard without a problem.

Starting to think that damn Dynamo boss battle was a genetic flaw or blind-spot or something. We'll see if the momentum holds up. :D

up to ch. 6 on hard...love love love the cat chicks. So much fun to fight! Gonna make a save just before the cat fiend challenge.

Dynamo gave me some issues, mostly cause I wanted to beat him without using the talisman of rebirth (hate that you can't unequip it in black.) You can lv1 UT him or hit him with the first dashing slice of the lv2 UT if you get right next to him and hit him during the opening frames of it. Ryu will keep doing the lv2 combo, but all the attacks bounce off- the other guys will probably run into it and die, so you can set up another UT. Also, using the flying swallow is risky cause he sometimes shoots you while you're landing. Basically, he's the same except the other guys make it a bitch if they put you in block stun at all.

Started experimenting with the smoke bomb too and it's pretty great! It'll come in handy for sure on VH...it's kinda overkill on hard. also using the stab on downed enemies a lot more and izuna drop a lot less to hit those timer bonuses.

trying to get godlike for my MNM stream :)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MnEu_xSxUD0/TMh5EgvHOgI/AAAAAAAAACo/xwdhlejM4X4/s1600/Cyborg_ninja-lados_3_views.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

is that a ng3 costume o_o

damnnnn

I like the blue arcade ng outfit. his other stuff is very...bondage. and his ass is too damn shiny! The hotsuma costume is pretty bad ass too.

Robot Pants

NG1 and 2 are so similar. They are basically the same. But I'm gonna go with 2.
Of all the costumes, Fiend Ryu #5 on NG2.

the nunchaku are so much fun for styling on enemies...part of the fun is how they take to kill guys, so you're forced to keep up the skill (and the sound effects are fucking awesome.) I should do an "ignore battle timer" run and see what kind of shit I can come up with.

the nunchaku are so much fun for styling on enemies...part of the fun is how they take to kill guys, so you're forced to keep up the skill (and the sound effects are fucking awesome.) I should do an "ignore battle timer" run and see what kind of shit I can come up with.

Actually, my experience was the opposite. I waltzed through the cyborgs and cat demons using nunchuks, without much effort (still hard more). That said, by the end, I was picking up the nuances of when to start combos, and when to end them to ensure I never got caught at the wrong moment. So very hard should be interesting.

As for the costume I posted, no, it's a fan's idea of what a cyborg outfit for Ryu would look like, as inspired by Grey Fox from MGS. I posted it because it's directly influenced by NG, and I like it looks cool as hell.

And yes, I love the costume you get from beating hard mode in NGB as well.

Still wish I could get that white costume from sigma 2 though. So sexy.

BTW, wasn't there a future-ninja costume that went along with the lightsaber sword? Or am I nuts?

Actually, my experience was the opposite. I waltzed through the cyborgs and cat demons using nunchuks, without much effort (still hard more). That said, by the end, I was picking up the nuances of when to start combos, and when to end them to ensure I never got caught at the wrong moment. So very hard should be interesting.

As for the costume I posted, no, it's a fan's idea of what a cyborg outfit for Ryu would look like, as inspired by Grey Fox from MGS. I posted it because it's directly influenced by NG, and I like it looks cool as hell.

BTW, wasn't there a future-ninja costume that went along with the lightsaber sword? Or am I nuts?

huh, maybe I should try them out on harder enemies! I just took it for granted that they were low dmg.

i think there is a future ninja costume in vanilla. Sucks you can't get the MK2 until the 49th scarab or something...without NG+, the MK2 and DDS are kinda whatever at that point in the game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I never played Ninja Gaiden Black on anything but normal... I feel like I've been missing out now :(

As soon as I have a chance to play through the game again, Ima go for it... and come to think of it, I haven't played Black since 2005... I bought comparatively crappy Sigma, and that was my last experience with this radical game. So many things to repent for.

huh, maybe I should try them out on harder enemies! I just took it for granted that they were low dmg.

They are low damage, but where Y attacks with TDS often just get blocked by cyborgs (black and... gold? Whichever ones hold the grenade launchers) and avoided by the cats, the nunchuka knocks the cyborgs off balance, and then you can just wade through them. The nunchuka swing so fast, that they interrupt the cat attacks that otherwise get through TDS combos.

So yeah, I will admit, I was mashing xxxxy through most of chapter 4 and 5. But like I said, by the end, I was starting to get a handle of when to use the combos that start with y for the knock-back, and when to end that combo (xxy or xxxy) to ensure I never get caught post-combo.

the added stuff in sigma really does break up the flow of the game. The rachel chapters, obviously, but there are added encounters and other things that just feel like padding.

The motorcycle guys have to be my least favorite enemies in the series. There's probably a trick to them I didn't find, but whatever, they're annoying. how am i supposed to beat the timer if the fuckers keep running away!

They are low damage, but where Y attacks with TDS often just get blocked by cyborgs (black and... gold? Whichever ones hold the grenade launchers) and avoided by the cats, the nunchuka knocks the cyborgs off balance, and then you can just wade through them. The nunchuka swing so fast, that they interrupt the cat attacks that otherwise get through TDS combos.

So yeah, I will admit, I was mashing xxxxy through most of chapter 4 and 5. But like I said, by the end, I was starting to get a handle of when to use the combos that start with y for the knock-back, and when to end that combo (xxy or xxxy) to ensure I never get caught post-combo.

good deal, I'll try it out. Gonna make a save before the cat fiend challenge in the library and use it to experiment with stuff.

i think there is a future ninja costume in vanilla. Sucks you can't get the MK2 until the 49th scarab or something...without NG+, the MK2 and DDS are kinda whatever at that point in the game.

Yep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2i8bPPmVEQ

Not bad. Looks more like a future samurai with those shoulder pads, but still kinda funky.

My fav is still that white costume from Sigma 2. Between that costume, and the extra sections, and the 1080p... I might be able to put up with the hilarious lack of blood.

I might actually pick up both Sigma and Sigma 2 for cheap, since they're discounted everywhere... cause it'll be nice to have a save file that won't disappear when I upgrade my Xbox 360 HDD past 60gb. :p

benzy

The guy who made that makes no mention of Ninja Gaiden. He just says Grey Fox is the inspiration.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?58750-Despair-The-Ninja

There was a futuristic samurai looking one in vanilla NG1. They took it out in Black and Sigma though.

I think the future ninja was reward for beating the hardest difficulty in vanilla NG on Xbox. He kinda looked like a futuristic American Football player.

Zeliard

the added stuff in sigma really does break up the flow of the game. The rachel chapters, obviously, but there are added encounters and other things that just feel like padding.

Yeah I don't like the way she controls, especially that annoying kick she has off the dodge. There's an annoying lack of fluidity there compared to Ryu.

Seraphinianus said:
The motorcycle guys have to be my least favorite enemies in the series. There's probably a trick to them I didn't find, but whatever, they're annoying. how am i supposed to beat the timer if the fuckers keep running away!

They're susceptible to Flying Swallows.

hayejin

Been playing NG Sigma Plus on Vita(Finished original NG back in 2004 on Xbox and stopped half way on NG Sigma PS3 last year).

I'm just not enjoying as much as I thought I would. I really miss the big impact(especially the head explosion) from NG2's Izuna Drop. That and being able to easily do Izuna Drop from air using Lunar.

Ha! I just scored a 150 hit combo on 5 cat-people using the nunchuka.

Aw yeah, it's starting to come back (and yes I realize time is more important to points than combos, but what the hell, going that long against those fuckers without getting hit felt pretty good).

apparently you get more yellow essence for huge combos? Never realized that. I always naturally get 99999 essence on each playthrough /smug.jpg :eek:

I still learn new stuff on each playthrough! like I got full points for a chapter today in every category and still got Head Ninja...?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ might've been item use? not sure.

I wanna play the demo for vanilla again and see if there are any weird things that didn't make into the full version. Game still got delayed a few more times after the demo came out..

apparently you get more yellow essence for huge combos? Never realized that. I always naturally get 99999 essence on each playthrough /smug.jpg :eek:

I still learn new stuff on each playthrough! like I got full points for a chapter today in every category and still got Head Ninja...?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ might've been item use? not sure.

I wanna play the demo for vanilla again and see if there are any weird things that didn't make into the full version. Game still got delayed a few more times after the demo came out..

I heard the game punishes you for both item use and nimpo use...

I ADORE the Ryu vs. Evil Ryu clone fights. Easily the best boss fights in the game, IMO.

I guess Alma V2 is pretty good too... but still, I could replay that second round with Evil Ryu over and over for days.

evil ryu does kick ass.

I just learned in the 80 zombie challenge that there's a limit to the number of times you can get a UT bonus in a fight...interesting. and that you can go back out to Tairon through the boulder area-- always though you couldn't reach the ropes from there! This is awesome cause you can get a lv3 dragon sword for both of the 80 fiend challenges in ch.7, plus the windmill shuriken, if you're in hard mode.

Jigsaw

Banned
The motorcycle guys have to be my least favorite enemies in the series. There's probably a trick to them I didn't find, but whatever, they're annoying. how am i supposed to beat the timer if the fuckers keep running away!.

don't chase them,let them come to you :p just charge dragon sowrd UTs (lvl1 work better than 2 though)

you can also try to guillotine throw them instantly off their bikes,but getting the time and angle right is quite hard

Zeliard

Just Flying Swallow them off their bikes. If the angle isn't right you'll just bounce off harmlessly. Rinse and repeat.

Wind Run + Guillotine Throw also works but Flying Swallows are probably easier to time and nail.

evil ryu does kick ass.

I just learned in the 80 zombie challenge that there's a limit to the number of times you can get a UT bonus in a fight...interesting. and that you can go back out to Tairon through the boulder area-- always though you couldn't reach the ropes from there! This is awesome cause you can get a lv3 dragon sword for both of the 80 fiend challenges in ch.7, plus the windmill shuriken, if you're in hard mode.

Where's the zombie challenge? Don't remember that one? That's not the elevator ride is it?

Jigsaw

Banned
Just Flying Swallow them off their bikes. If the angle isn't right you'll just bounce off harmlessly. Rinse and repeat.

Wind Run + Guillotine Throw also works but Flying Swallows are probably easier to time and nail.

you will never make the time limits if you try to flying swallow them,especially not on the higher modes

yeah, killing them isn't the problem, it's killing them on time.

Where's the zombie challenge? Don't remember that one? That's not the elevator ride is it?

it's in the room where you get the chalice and spawns in the next chapter, after you beat the bone dragon.

It might stay there the whole game, not sure how that works.

8 years later and still learning new shit about this game!

i once exited in the middle of it on hard mode and didn't play ng for a couple months after. true story!

I gotta make an Iberiansrealm account, apparently they are keeping the NGB leaderboard alive and honest. i think 15 or 16 mil was my top on normal...don't know how people are getting 8 million more karma >_< I guess they make enough to upgrade some weapons, don't get UF, and karma chain the whole game.

i once exited in the middle of it on hard mode and didn't play ng for a couple months after. true story!

I gotta make an Iberiansrealm account, apparently they are keeping the NGB leaderboard alive and honest. i think 15 or 16 mil was my top on normal...don't know how people are getting 8 million more karma >_< I guess they make enough to upgrade some weapons, don't get UF, and karma chain the whole game.

How big is the time bonus? Cause I know I've cheesed Very Hard mode back in 2005, spending like 2 full hours in chapter 4 killing respawning enemies to build a bank account, max out items, etc. I obviously wasn't going for score, but I still got Head Ninja just because you don't get points deducted for taking a long time, you just lose out on a bonus at the end of a chapter.

for fights, it's always 10,000. chapters are up to 100,000.

blech alma, i need a break...I'm always mindfucked at the end of chapter 7 and that awful alma checkpoint.

i got log trapped by alma's pillars...if you hit her out of her pillar throwing shenanigans right after the very last pillar is thrown, one more pillar will fly from off screen and smack you in the head in like one frame. I would be mad, but i'm too busy laughing at how it looks exactly like rocket raccoon's log trap in UMVC3 when it hits.

Why does the Kinetsu exist?

I can't find a scenario or enemy that it's the best option for. The life-sucking ability would be good, but most enemies on hard seem to dodge it with ease.

Top Bottom