• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

Robot Pants

Seeing most of my worries about the game get confirmed by posters here and even an IGN review, it's pretty disappointing. The streamlining and changes made to offer a more "cinematic" experience, while maybe not ruining the core game entirely, still seems to be excessive. I was already thinking about skipping NG3, but this just solidifies it.

I think more people should be watching this. Not that it's making me want to out to buy the game immediately, but NG3 looks a lot more like a legit NG game on Hard.

It still looks extremely easy. I'll have my rental copy today. THINKING of jumping straight to Master Ninja if the game will let me.

Robot Pants

This framerate is fucking horrible. FUCKING. HORRIBLE.

360 version. Screen tearing and framerate drops in every encounter so far of 30 minutes playing. the game feels like it's eating my inputs because of the shitty framerate. it is NOT responsive at all when the framerate drops.

It feels worse than sigma+ on Vita because of how the framerate fluctuates.

3.0 score validated?

MechaX

Whoa whoa, there are framerate problems in the 360 version?

How in the fuck did that get by every reviewer when reviewing a fast-paced action game?

Robot Pants

Whoa whoa, there are framerate problems in the 360 version?

How in the fuck did that get by every reviewer when reviewing a fast-paced action game?

I'm curious too. OXM and OXM UK never mentioned it. But they may not know any better when it comes to these games.
I rented an xbox360 version, so when it gets here I'll test it out too.

MjFrancis

Honestly, on Normal I'm not noticing any screen tearing and only infrequent frame drops on the 360 version. It's installed to the HDD if that makes a difference.

And nevermind about that last boss being a problem. Like many good action game bosses, taking five minutes away from the game solved the problem. I came back and DOMINATED.

Does ps3 version run better than this?

This is unacceptable to me. This is one of the shittiest framerates I've experienced in a large action game this generation.

Did you play the higher difficulties on NG2? How does the framerate compare to what happens on that (if I remember correctly NG2 goes into slow motion when framerate drops happen? it has been a while).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=o34ZgIe-rp0#t=152s Classic example of the NG2 slow motion.

Yea that's the only spot it does that.

No you can force the slow mo framerate at anytime by just running past enemies and having like 20+ spawned enemies running after you. Although yeah if you take on enemies as they spawn then generally it is never a real problem. I was just wondering if NG3 does this, because with slow mo I don't remember it dropping inputs.

AAK

I still haven't received mine yet, so I'll probably get my copy tomorrow and I'll let you all know about the PS3 framerate then.

d0c_zaius

This framerate is fucking horrible. FUCKING. HORRIBLE.

360 version. Screen tearing and framerate drops in every encounter so far of 30 minutes playing. the game feels like it's eating my inputs because of the shitty framerate. it is NOT responsive at all when the framerate drops.

It feels worse than sigma+ on Vita because of how the framerate fluctuates.

ouch that sucks dude. sorry to hear that.

oops my bad, double post.

Hopefully it doesn't and they drop the pass requirement.

yeaaaa good luck with that

Skilletor

I started on hard. The slowdown on the rocket launcher soldiers makes it really hard to move because of how framerate affects inputs.

edit: I'm not saying the game is eating my inputs, just that the fluctuating framrate makes the game feel so unresponsive that it feels that way.

dummydecoy

I still haven't received mine yet, so I'll probably get my copy tomorrow and I'll let you all know about the PS3 framerate then.

Great. Looking forward to your post.
Also, can you please check if that instant UT "glitch" is still present in this game? The one where you press ▲ exactly when Ryu's feet touches the ground from a jump?

Alright so, here's some early Ninja Gaiden 3 impressions, after completing the first three days/levels. All the big problems with this game stem from the fact that Hayashi and his crew either dumbed down or completely took away elements and mechanics from NG1/2, and didn't replace them with anything of any substance.

-UTs have been dumbed down. You only get one weapon(well it's the Dragon Sword in Stage 1, it's another sword in stage 2, but they're exactly the same), and you only get one UT. They've completely done away with the metagame of balancing essence for money/UTs, getting space to do the on-landing UTs, blocking to not absorb the essence, everything. As soon as you land and hold the button, you're completely invincible and you kill a few guys the same way every time. It's boring, brainless, backwards step for the UT system.

-Aiming with the arrows are a real gag reel too now. There's no thought neccesery, you just jump in the air, press L2 to aim(you can even hold it for slow-mo, for whatever reason), press R2 to fire, and soon as you land, dodge-jump and do it again. The game automatically aims at enemies for you when you hold aim. You don't even have to be facing the same direction of the enemies, the game will do a 180 for you and give you a perfect shot, leave your brain at the door. There's several projectile battles with turrets, jetpack guys, and helicopters, and they're all the same thing with zero challenge or fun involved.

-You have one ninpo attack now, this giant dragon animation that kills a few dudes on screen AND heals you completely. You have to build it up by killing people. It's kinda like Asura's Wrath, where you mash buttons against a bunch of guys and then if you're in danger/bored fighting wave after wave of repetitive goons, and bam. You get to watch the same 10 second animation that happen the last 30 times you hit the ninpo buttons. There's really no incentive to even keep the ninpo, cuz you lose it after the fight. You can't build it up during some of the boss encounters, so the places where you actually WANT to use the "help me out here, game!" attack, you can't. There's no MASTER NINJA rank or anything to earn at the end for not using ninpo, it's just...this move that you can do from time to time. It sucks.

-STEEL ON BONE is a new feature, that's basically just OTs, but with more button mashing and its less reliable. Someone said you can chain SOBs, but its not a very reliable strategy. Sometimes they come out, sometimes they don't. I literally can't tell what the requirement is. Do they have to be near you? Because that doesn't work. Do they have to be weak? Because that's kinda lame. After the steel on bone thing, they walk around/crawl on the ground, and the game LOVES to aim Ryu at them instead of the actual enemies attacking you. So it's kinda like one OT, and then another OT. You don't really need to do the second one, since so far the enemies never try to crawl to you and kill you like NG2, it just builds ninpo. If you REALLY want to see that dragon animation just one more time.

-In-Game Tutorial/QTEs option is the same thing, so you have two choices:

1. Have the game always remind you how to wall-run, wall-jump, jump to the wall to kunai climb, do all that shit you already know to do, etc.

2. Turn them off entirely, then have to guess what button to press for QTEs. There's one QTE where you have to hold L1 and R1 and mash O to open a door. I didn't know that. The game won't tell you if you don't put on the in-game tutorial.

There's just no middle-ground.

-I like the slide. It serves the same purpose of the evasive roll of old, but it can all be an offensive move. You can slide into enemies and they'll flop in the air, it's a decent way to approach enemies.

-Enemies just don't shut the fuck up. Every stage you'll get 6-8 lines the bad guys will randomly say every 10 seconds. I'M GONNA CARVE YOU UP KILLING IS MY BUSINESS KILLING IS MY BUSINESS I DON'T WANNA DIE, I DON'T WANNA DIE, HE'S CRAZY, I'M GONNA CARVE YOU UP.

-Every time the screen fills up with projectiles(as it is want to do with the Rocket guys on Hard), the game slows to a crawl. It's like playing King of Fighters XII online, pre-patch, its actually kinda funny how bad it is.

-Ryu Hayabusa is more bully then badass in this game. There's this theme about the morality in all his killing, but its dynamically opposed to the objective of the game(aka be an awesome ninja who kills dudes with style). One minute the game is trying to make you feel bad about killing a guy who surrendered and starting begging for his life(not really a spoiler, its very early in the game), the next they're giving you this eleborate QTE killing another guy like "YEAH WASN'T THAT AWESOME!?". You do a neat looking combo and you feel like the shit, then you see everybody crawling away begging for mercy, and you feel like shit. It's not you have much choice in the matter. There's no Renegade/Paragon stuff. You just keep killing and trying to have fun, and the game will occasionally wag it's finger at you for doing what the game tells you to do. Hell, the game REWARDS you for killing people when they're begging for mercy. It's bizarre

-Add all that together, and then remember that the combat is just straight up BORING. Wave after wave after wave of badguys with the same moves and dialog, and you just mash buttons and dodge occasionally. You got one weapon with dozens of dial-a-combos, but because they're so many, it makes them all less special. In NG1, you only had a few set combos, and you had to know which ones were good in whatever situation. Can I do three hits here or four? Can I do the quick X-Y-Y combo to get out of range of horizontal attacks, or should I get out my bigger weapons for quick Forward-Y lunges? In NG3, you have 5x the amount of enemies to deal with on a regular basis, and you find that the best strategy is to just keep mindlessly mashing X and occasionally Y. It's more Dynasty Warriors then Ninja Gaiden, more concerned about throwing lots of enemies at you you then anything resembling NG1's finese, or even NG2's variety(because as shitty as that game was, at least they gave you a variety of weapons/moves, and ninpo/aiming/UTs weren't braindead simple). You find yourself sighing when ANOTHER wave of enemies shows up, and if you're doing that in a Ninja Gaiden game, SOMETHING HAS GONE HORRIBLY WRONG.

-And outside sword-fighting guy, all the bosses are fucking terrible. ESPECIALLY the T-Rex, which is one of the worst boss fights in recent memory.

So yeah...it's bad. Dreadful, even. I'm gonna keep playing just to say I did it, but there's little joy to be had here, just morbid curiosity. Ninja Gaiden 3 is a fucking horrid game, and an even worse Ninja Gaiden. IGN's 3/10 review is right on the money.

I started on hard. The slowdown on the rocket launcher soldiers makes it really hard to move because of how framerate affects inputs.

edit: I'm not saying the game is eating my inputs, just that the fluctuating framrate makes the game feel so unresponsive that it feels that way.

The game is dropping framerate with only a couple of soldiers on screen?

So I guess I was right? Which is bad, because I didn't want to be right. Will pickup eventually to experience the trainwreck.

raven777

I just got my CE. Where is online pass suppose to be? I searched the manual but its not there. Is it suppose to be printed on the manual itself, or on a separate paper?

jorgeton

You just keep killing and trying to have fun, and the game will occasionally wag it's finger at you for doing what the game tells you to do. Hell, the game REWARDS you for killing people when they're begging for mercy. It's bizarre

Ugh. The plot sounds so annoying and condescending.

Good grief.

Someone needs to fall on a (dragon) sword for this travesty.

Zeliard

Ugh. The plot sounds so annoying and condescending.

Good grief.

Someone needs to fall on a (dragon) sword for this travesty.

Remember this quote:

"Ryu is unmasking himself, and it's a way of attracting people to his world. We are trying to have people enter the real Ryu Hayabusa. The amount of blood doesn't revolve around the idea of killing people, either; it could also be Ryu's blood. We're focusing not only on cutting people but also Ryu himself."

- Hayashi

Alright so, here's some early Ninja Gaiden 3 impressions, after completing the first three days/levels. All the big problems with this game stem from the fact that Hayashi and his crew either dumbed down or completely took away elements and mechanics from NG1/2, and didn't replace them with anything of any substance.

-UTs have been dumbed down. You only get one weapon(well it's the Dragon Sword in Stage 1, it's another sword in stage 2, but they're exactly the same), and you only get one UT. They've completely done away with the metagame of balancing essence for money/UTs, getting space to do the on-landing UTs, blocking to not absorb the essence, everything. As soon as you land and hold the button, you're completely invincible and you kill a few guys the same way every time. It's boring, brainless, backwards step for the UT system.

-Aiming with the arrows are a real gag reel too now. There's no thought neccesery, you just jump in the air, press L2 to aim(you can even hold it for slow-mo, for whatever reason), press R2 to fire, and soon as you land, dodge-jump and do it again. The game automatically aims at enemies for you when you hold aim. You don't even have to be facing the same direction of the enemies, the game will do a 180 for you and give you a perfect shot, leave your brain at the door. There's several projectile battles with turrets, jetpack guys, and helicopters, and they're all the same thing with zero challenge or fun involved.

-You have one ninpo attack now, this giant dragon animation that kills a few dudes on screen AND heals you completely. You have to build it up by killing people. It's kinda like Asura's Wrath, where you mash buttons against a bunch of guys and then if you're in danger/bored fighting wave after wave of repetitive goons, and bam. You get to watch the same 10 second animation that happen the last 30 times you hit the ninpo buttons. There's really no incentive to even keep the ninpo, cuz you lose it after the fight. You can't build it up during some of the boss encounters, so the places where you actually WANT to use the "help me out here, game!" attack, you can't. There's no MASTER NINJA rank or anything to earn at the end for not using ninpo, it's just...this move that you can do from time to time. It sucks.

-STEEL ON BONE is a new feature, that's basically just OTs, but with more button mashing and its less reliable. Someone said you can chain SOBs, but its not a very reliable strategy. Sometimes they come out, sometimes they don't. I literally can't tell what the requirement is. Do they have to be near you? Because that doesn't work. Do they have to be weak? Because that's kinda lame. After the steel on bone thing, they walk around/crawl on the ground, and the game LOVES to aim Ryu at them instead of the actual enemies attacking you. So it's kinda like one OT, and then another OT. You don't really need to do the second one, since so far the enemies never try to crawl to you and kill you like NG2, it just builds ninpo. If you REALLY want to see that dragon animation just one more time.

-In-Game Tutorial/QTEs option is the same thing, so you have two choices:

1. Have the game always remind you how to wall-run, wall-jump, jump to the wall to kunai climb, do all that shit you already know to do, etc.

2. Turn them off entirely, then have to guess what button to press for QTEs. There's one QTE where you have to hold L1 and R1 and mash O to open a door. I didn't know that. The game won't tell you if you don't put on the in-game tutorial.

There's just no middle-ground.

-I like the slide. It serves the same purpose of the evasive roll of old, but it can all be an offensive move. You can slide into enemies and they'll flop in the air, it's a decent way to approach enemies.

-Enemies just don't shut the fuck up. Every stage you'll get 6-8 lines the bad guys will randomly say every 10 seconds. I'M GONNA CARVE YOU UP KILLING IS MY BUSINESS KILLING IS MY BUSINESS I DON'T WANNA DIE, I DON'T WANNA DIE, HE'S CRAZY, I'M GONNA CARVE YOU UP.

-Every time the screen fills up with projectiles(as it is want to do with the Rocket guys on Hard), the game slows to a crawl. It's like playing King of Fighters XII online, pre-patch, its actually kinda funny how bad it is.

-Ryu Hayabusa is more bully then badass in this game. There's this theme about the morality in all his killing, but its dynamically opposed to the objective of the game(aka be an awesome ninja who kills dudes with style). One minute the game is trying to make you feel bad about killing a guy who surrendered and starting begging for his life(not really a spoiler, its very early in the game), the next they're giving you this eleborate QTE killing another guy like "YEAH WASN'T THAT AWESOME!?". You do a neat looking combo and you feel like the shit, then you see everybody crawling away begging for mercy, and you feel like shit. It's not you have much choice in the matter. There's no Renegade/Paragon stuff. You just keep killing and trying to have fun, and the game will occasionally wag it's finger at you for doing what the game tells you to do. Hell, the game REWARDS you for killing people when they're begging for mercy. It's bizarre

-Add all that together, and then remember that the combat is just straight up BORING. Wave after wave after wave of badguys with the same moves and dialog, and you just mash buttons and dodge occasionally. You got one weapon with dozens of dial-a-combos, but because they're so many, it makes them all less special. In NG1, you only had a few set combos, and you had to know which ones were good in whatever situation. Can I do three hits here or four? Can I do the quick X-Y-Y combo to get out of range of horizontal attacks, or should I get out my bigger weapons for quick Forward-Y lunges? In NG3, you have 5x the amount of enemies to deal with on a regular basis, and you find that the best strategy is to just keep mindlessly mashing X and occasionally Y. It's more Dynasty Warriors then Ninja Gaiden, more concerned about throwing lots of enemies at you you then anything resembling NG1's finese, or even NG2's variety(because as shitty as that game was, at least they gave you a variety of weapons/moves, and ninpo/aiming/UTs weren't braindead simple). You find yourself sighing when ANOTHER wave of enemies shows up, and if you're doing that in a Ninja Gaiden game, SOMETHING HAS GONE HORRIBLY WRONG.

-And outside sword-fighting guy, all the bosses are fucking terrible. ESPECIALLY the T-Rex, which is one of the worst boss fights in recent memory.

So yeah...it's bad. Dreadful, even. I'm gonna keep playing just to say I did it, but there's little joy to be had here, just morbid curiosity. Ninja Gaiden 3 is a fucking horrid game, and an even worse Ninja Gaiden. IGN's 3/10 review is right on the money.

Damn. Thanks for the feedback. Agreed completely on the sighing part because that was my exact reaction when I played DMC2. It's a big indicator of an action game gone dumb

SkylineRKR

Good impression, it corresponds with what I gathered from the streams I saw and somehow hoped it actually wasn't that bad and generic. But I didn't cross it off my list for nothing.

The OXM review was an 8/10, and all the things they mentioned already sounded like utter shit to me. No upgrade system which meant farming was meaningless, one weapon and all that crap sounded like a big fat dealbreaker.

So,

Team Ninja on the attack against Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden II

Yosuke Hayashi, producer of Ninja Gaiden III, has told Play that Bayonetta is ‘old’.

“I think Ninja Gaiden II is already outdated,” Hayashi explained in an exclusive interview with Play. “That’s why we are making Ninja Gaiden III from scratch.”

When prodded about the impact Bayonetta has had on the 3D action genre, Hayashi added “Bayonetta has some good stuff but Bayonetta is old, game design wise, already.”

He also says that Team Ninja ‘doesn’t care’ about living up to the infamously tough difficulty levels of previous outings in the series.

“Difficulty level is not the main element we are focusing on,” Hayashi explained. “The focus we have is that a new Ryu Hayabusa is the main character for Ninja Gaiden III. Also, we are aiming to be the number one 3D action game. If we can do that we are fine not focusing on difficulty level. We don’t care. But to prevent misunderstanding, Ninja Gaiden fans will still really love it. That is our responsibility. We make sure the fans of the series are satisfied by our game.”

lol?

Remember this quote:

"Ryu is unmasking himself, and it's a way of attracting people to his world. We are trying to have people enter the real Ryu Hayabusa. The amount of blood doesn't revolve around the idea of killing people, either; it could also be Ryu's blood. We're focusing not only on cutting people but also Ryu himself."

- Hayashi

Lol, what the hell is he trying to convey?

I'm very sad it all turned out like this.
Here's to hoping that in the far future someone can improve upon the awesome game that was the first Xbox Ninja Gaiden. I played that game through so many times.

dreamfall

I just got my CE. Where is online pass suppose to be? I searched the manual but its not there. Is it suppose to be printed on the manual itself, or on a separate paper?

Yeah, my CE is missing the online pass. Ugh! This is the second week I've missed a code in a Collector's edition (My SFxTekken didn't have the gem code...) At least DOA is in there. Anyone know if it's up for PS3?

raven777

Yeah, my CE is missing the online pass. Ugh! This is the second week I've missed a code in a Collector's edition (My SFxTekken didn't have the gem code...) At least DOA is in there. Anyone know if it's up for PS3?

I tried to redeem the DOA code few minutes ago, and it didn't work

Another thing of note is they removed everything in your inventory. No more exploring for Scarabs, no more finding secret encounters for Live of the God/Thousand Gods, no more Tailsmen of Rebirth awards, no more managing of health through potions, no more money, no more ninpo upgrades, no more weapon upgrades, no more managing your amount of projectiles, nothing. All the depth, challenge, and exploration found through these items in NG1(and to a lesser extent, NG2) have simply been removed from the game, and have been replaced with auto-regen health and braindead special moves that do everything for you.

There's no light puzzle-solving, no challenging areas to transverse, no exploration of the levels for secrets or farming for money or ANYTHING. It's just walking forward to more boring battles and QTEs.

The more I play this game, the more I realize how fucking horrible it is. It's quite sad.

jett

D-Member
Good impression, it corresponds with what I gathered from the streams I saw and somehow hoped it actually wasn't that bad and generic. But I didn't cross it off my list for nothing.

The OXM review was an 8/10, and all the things they mentioned already sounded like utter shit to me. No upgrade system which meant farming was meaningless, one weapon and all that crap sounded like a big fat dealbreaker.

So,

lol?

Hayashi is such a hack.

Nibel

Who gives a damn about an emotional releationship between the player and Hayabusa? Such stupid priorities if true.

And Bayonetta is still unmatched in the genre (in my opinion).

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
The picture in that stream is fucking dark. Is this an accurate representation of the game?

Also: :(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
The more I play this game, the more I realize how fucking horrible it is. It's quite sad.

Thanks for the impressions man, saved med 60 bucks, this game does not even sound salvageable. NG2 was overall bad in my eyes and this seems several orders of magnitude worse.

Thanks for the impressions man, saved med 60 bucks, this game does not even sound salvageable. NG2 was overall bad in my eyes and this seems several orders of magnitude worse.

Please don't support this shit with your money. I rented this thing and I STILL feel ripped off. This shit makes the 360 version of NG2 look good

Robot Pants

Yea the slowdown on the 360 is absolutely true. When there are more than 4 enemies on screen, it slows down. If you have rocket spammers...good luck. It reminds me of the slowdown on Sigma 2 only way worse. The inputs lag, the auto-targetting is terrible, you'll be in the middle of a combo and it will just switch to some other guy. And worst of all its tedious.
This is just the first 3 encounters.
You can press Select/Back to see the moves list, but....God is it bad just like the rest of the game.
Oh and also, crank up the brightness. It's way too dark.

MjFrancis

On what was surely among the final bosses of the game the batteries in my controller died and I was booted to the main menu upon setting the new ones in and reconnecting the controller. Hooray!

I've never had that happen in any other game. Weak.

Apollyon

Neo Member
Another thing of note is they removed everything in your inventory. No more exploring for Scarabs, no more finding secret encounters for Live of the God/Thousand Gods, no more Tailsmen of Rebirth awards, no more managing of health through potions, no more money, no more ninpo upgrades, no more weapon upgrades, no more managing your amount of projectiles, nothing. All the depth, challenge, and exploration found through these items in NG1(and to a lesser extent, NG2) have simply been removed from the game, and have been replaced with auto-regen health and braindead special moves that do everything for you.

There's no light puzzle-solving, no challenging areas to transverse, no exploration of the levels for secrets or farming for money or ANYTHING. It's just walking forward to more boring battles and QTEs.

Between this and your earlier impressions, this is turning into a indictment on dumbing down games to appeal to wider audience and how far it can really go. But NG3 goes so damn far with simplifying the overall game to the point where it's just insulting.

Stunning. I'll be looking for a copy of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 that's on sale.

Misfits

Neo Member
Heartbreaking reviews. :'(

mu favorite franchise is now in the crapper and there's no sign of a sequel to bayonetta. :'(

Top Bottom