• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

MjFrancis

Xbox 360 co-op is fun. I've only done three trials via co-op, but having a partner, a score, a character to level (more than superficially, too, it unlocks the abilities Ryu had during the game) and short misson mode style settings is a welcome throwback from previous iterations of the series.

Unfortunately the whole thing is based on the mechanics of NGIII, so take that for whatever it's worth.

Sorry to drop by with an off-topic request like this, but um...is it against the TOS to say that I'll offer beaucoup bucks to anyone who offers a DOA5 PS3 demo download code? Because if not, then I'll offer beaucoup bucks to anyone who offers a PS3 demo download code.

Beaucoup.

ultim8p00

Banned
This game has terrible input lag. It's not responsive at all.
Also I really hate Hayashi's idea of enemies and encounters.
Hit them all 50-60 times before they die, coupled with the limited move set you have in this game, it just makes fighting all that more tedious. Also wave after wave of the same enemies before moving onto the next section. Whoever said this was "arena style" was completely right.

Before I thought 3.0 was a bit exaggerated, I would have given it a 5 based on what I saw before playing it.
But having played it, it does so much wrong and so little right, not just for its genre but for videogames in general (its laughable how Hayashi puts this out and says Bayonetta is out-dated), that it is easily a 3.0 game.
Itagaki had a falling out with Tecmo during NG2. I wonder what Hayashi's excuse for this game will be?

It's not that it has input lag. It has to do with the fact that they changed a bunch of random things that don't make sense. For example after doing shurikens in the air, you can no longer land and attack. There is some weird delay where almost none of your moves register. However, you can still do an attack after air shurikens if you didn't initiate an air combo before cancelling it with shurikens.

It's a random change that doesn't even make sense. It's like Rehayashit decided to change things randomly just so the game was different.

Errm...

I hate to say I told you guys so but........

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31214808&postcount=409

I told you so.
Nobody wanted this game to be great more than me. NG and DMC are like my gaming lifeblood. After the travesty of The DmC announcement, I was overjoyed that there was a new NG game being made. i didn't like the SOB and hayashis comments, but I was still cautiously optimistic.

Then I played it. I knew then that the problems with this game were on a fundamental level, not just something that was part of a unpolished demo.

I will still buy it further down the line, but I'm not gonna lie, reading these impressions does make my negativity feel somewhat mitigated.

What a damn waste. This confirms that we will not have a DMC3/NGB quality title of this generation. (Bayonetta is amazing, but fails short in a few areas and MG:R, while being an amazing title, will not be as pure an action game as the others)

I have a feeling DmC will be better than this.

I'd argue that DMC lends itself more to the casual gamer than NG ever did, even taking into account 3's difficulty. Moreover, DMC4 is much more divisive than NG2 and sigma 2.

I think capcom will get away with NT nonsense to a certain extent, but for the hardcore, they are both equal shitstains. I personally think this STILL will be better.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I have a feeling DmC will be better than this. I will be getting this game for WiiU with the 'extra content', there's no use in stressing myself with it now.
If IGN is discontent with this title, it must suck, and I usually side with IGN. They saved me a few bucks for the moment, I'll wait.

Dave1988

I have a feeling DmC will be better than this. I will be getting this game for WiiU with the 'extra content', there's no use in stressing myself with it now.

I don't think that's possible. Even if the story won't be a complete abortion (which it will be), remember that Ninja Theory is responsible for the combat system in "DmC". No amount of help from Crapcom will allow those monkeys to rise from their hovel.

inf3cti0n

Banned
oh how the mighty have fallen. 45 minutes and Im done with this steaming pile. IGN was too generous with 3/10. What happened. This is NOT Ninja Gaiden. The Dark Souls team was ashamed at the bugs with their release . pssssh I hope the Devs on this have already fallen on their swords...... im sure they can find the X button that pops up every 5 seconds to stab themselves. Although I bet they are saying I want to die instead of I don't wanna die like all of pillows they pass off as enemies in this turd.

please please , noone waste 60 on this.

Moreover, DMC4 is much more divisive than NG2 and sigma 2.

I don't think it is really divisive among fans. I would have preferred separate campaigns for both characters but DMC4 is an extremely high quality action game from what I remember. Comboing with DMC4 Dante was pretty fun (even though the styles got toned down a bit, using them all at once was great). Nero was interesting as well even though he was a little broken. The only people who really hated DMC4 were just casuals playing through it once (which admittedly, the first playthrough is kind of lame).

Another thing of note is they removed everything in your inventory. No more exploring for Scarabs, no more finding secret encounters for Live of the God/Thousand Gods, no more Tailsmen of Rebirth awards, no more managing of health through potions, no more money, no more ninpo upgrades, no more weapon upgrades, no more managing your amount of projectiles, nothing. All the depth, challenge, and exploration found through these items in NG1(and to a lesser extent, NG2) have simply been removed from the game, and have been replaced with auto-regen health and braindead special moves that do everything for you.

There's no light puzzle-solving, no challenging areas to transverse, no exploration of the levels for secrets or farming for money or ANYTHING. It's just walking forward to more boring battles and QTEs.

The more I play this game, the more I realize how fucking horrible it is. It's quite sad.

Thanks for your impressions. How could they do this to the franchise? This is just horrible.
I will never buy this game. NEVER.

I don't think it is really divisive among fans. I would have preferred separate campaigns for both characters but DMC4 is a high quality action game from what I remember. Comboing with DMC4 Dante was pretty fun (even though the styles got toned down a bit, using them all at once was great). Nero was interesting as well even though he was a little broken.

Nero vs Dante wasn't the biggest problems

It was the backtrackings and ironically enough, the emo anime love story.

Give Nero a few other weapons, and either make the full game playable as Dante or give him separate areas to fight in and I don't think anyone would of complained. Maybe even return some old faves as well.

Most people who love DMC4 love it for bloody palace mode (myself included) not the main game.

(well that and LDK mode - fucking amazing even now)

I'm liking the challenge mode in this, I might bite, I dig boss battels, and they seem to have updated the look of some of the more garish designs, I also like the leveling/customization aspect..that may be this games saving grace in the end.

oh how the mighty have fallen. 45 minutes and Im done with this steaming pile. IGN was too generous with 3/10. What happened. This is NOT Ninja Gaiden. The Dark Souls team was ashamed at the bugs with their release . pssssh I hope the Devs on this have already fallen on their swords...... im sure they can find the X button that pops up every 5 seconds to stab themselves. Although I bet they are saying I want to die instead of I don't wanna die like all of pillows they pass off as enemies in this turd.

please please , noone waste 60 on this.

Are you saying you've played this game? Did you buy or rent it?

Edit:
I'M A MEMBER!!
OH MEIn Gott I'm GLOWING!?
Carlton: yesssssss, YESSSSSS.

/freakout

I do not revel in Hayashi's failure. I've always viewed the Sigma games as inferior, but I never thought Ninja Gaiden 3 would turn out this bad. This is the death of the Ninja Gaiden franchise. These are dark days for action game fans.
Just published my Ninja Gaiden 3 PlayStation Move analysis (OT worthy? Don't think there is any other out there)
Enjoy!
http://youtu.be/7VU0g_NsYoA?hd=1
I expected the Move controls to be bad, but I can't believe Sony allowed the game to ship like this.

I think DmC COULD be good, but whatever it is, not in the way DMC3/4 are good. It could potentially be a good action title. If the framerate is consistent, if the storytelling is engaging, if the level design is varied and interesting, if they don't fall into the trap of shitty QTEs, if there's a decent amount of depth to its combat...it can be good.

NG3 is neither a good NG game, NOR a good action game. It's not a good video game, period.

ezekial45

Banned
I think DmC COULD be good, but whatever it is, not in the way DMC3/4 are good. It could potentially be a good action title. If the framerate is consistent, if the storytelling is engaging, if the level design is varied and interesting, if they don't fall into the trap of shitty QTEs, if there's a decent amount of depth to its combat...it can be good.

NG3 is neither a good NG game, NOR a good action game. It's not a good video game, period.

Wow. The supposed crappiness of NG3 has made you a little more receptive to DmC.

I guess this is probably the best it's gonna get, right? You have no idea how much this means to me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I do not revel in Hayashi's failure. I've always viewed the Sigma games as inferior, but I never thought Ninja Gaiden 3 would turn out this bad. This is the death of the Ninja Gaiden franchise. These are dark days for action game fans.

I expected the Move controls to be bad, but I can't believe Sony allowed the game to ship like this.

Holy crap at how to even start a game using Move. I don't think I would have been able to figure that out.

Veelk

Banned

MGR: Revengence will save us. Blessed be the hand of Platnium.

So far I'm enjoying the game. In the end I'll probably prefer NGS2, but it's honestly fun and scratches the itch for a new NG very well.

hatersgonnahate.jpg

To be fair, the IGN review was just a bad review in general. Having played the game more than most people at this point (and being a former gaming journalist - lol), I can see that he was playing on Normal (or maybe even Hero) and didn't spend much time in multiplayer or mission mode. He basically rushed through the game as quickly as possible, then wrote a half-assed review.

A lot of your complaints aren't anywhere near as significant when you play on Master Ninja or Ultimate Ninja. I'm not saying the game suddenly becomes amazing, but I found it to be much more rewarding the higher the difficulty setting.

Playing the the highest difficulty setting does not change anything. I never played Master Ninja in either of the previous two NG games & that affected nothing on my opinion on those games. They were amazing games all around outside the difficulty.

Besides, the hardest difficulties just added a ton of cheapness to the game & required spamming invincible frame moves over & over.

Playing the the highest difficulty setting does not change anything. I never played Master Ninja in either of the previous two NG games & that affected nothing on my opinion on those games. They were amazing games all around outside the difficulty.

Besides, the hardest difficulties just added a ton of cheapness to the game & required spamming invincible frame moves over & over.

There is absolutely nothing that can be even remotely called cheap in NGB/Sigma 1 Master Ninja. There are a couple messed up things in NG2 but the higher difficulties are still where it is at in NG2. Mastering use of i-frames is part of pretty much all good action games.

MjFrancis

Total bullshit alert: this game is region-locked, so I can't play it on my main 360. God damn it.
Hasn't Team Ninja always region-locked their stuff to some extent, though? I remember my U.S. copy of DoA4 was incompatible with my NTSC/J 360 back in the day.

Tain

Hasn't Team Ninja always region-locked their stuff to some extent, though? I remember my U.S. copy of DoA4 was incompatible with my NTSC/J 360 back in the day.

NG2 works on my Japanese system, so I didn't even think to worry about region protection. :/

Ken said:
I thought the 360 was always region-locked?

Depends on the game. Most US releases are region-free. I own a good number of 360 games, and only 2 of my US releases (VF5 and Armored Core: for Answer) won't run on my Japanese system.

Kusagari

Interested to see what happens with Team Ninja when this game sells as bad as it's reviewing.

Hayashi has some dark times ahead.

A lot of the complaints I've read are fairly valid but saying the team should kill themselves is a tad extreme.

For me, the random nature of the sword on bone segments is welcome. But yeah, it completely changes the games original sense of rhythm. I also wish they kept in the wild dismemberments, it would've given the SOB segments more impact. That said, I'm still having fun. Sticky input, variable frame rate and all.

Also, Is it pretty much confirmed that the PS3 version is superior?

Can't win 'em all, I guess. Now it's time to check out Orochi 3! :D

george_us

I can't believe in a year with a new Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden game, I'm looking to a Metal Gear game for my action fix.
If I completely forget Rising is a Metal Gear game, then my excitement levels reach critical mass. The story and cutscenes look absolutely retarded but hot DAMN does the action look fucking amazing.

I caved.

Not nearly as bad as I was expecting! I see what they're going for...it's not the NGB score attack game that I love, but it's not as casual as, say, a God of War game. You'll die enough on hard. It's fast as hell, maybe faster than NG2. but definitely more mashy. I'm still early, so I can mostly get away with mashing, but I'm starting to get to some enemies that punish it.

after an hour and a half, I like it better than NGS2 and if the balance doesn't go to shit, I might like it more than NG2. I'm skipping the cutscenes you can skip and the action doesn't get interrupted too often and it's rarely for too long...I hate the "slowly walk forwards" parts.

it's very different...

I got in one deathmatch online and it was very laggy. If it was all working properly, it might be better, but it's kind of a clusterfuck of ninjas.

Veelk

Banned
If I completely forget Rising is a Metal Gear game, then my excitement levels reach critical mass. The story and cutscenes look absolutely retarded but hot DAMN does the action look fucking amazing.

So whats MGR doing that an normal MGS game isn't?

:p

d0c_zaius

I caved.

Not nearly as bad as I was expecting! I see what they're going for...it's not the NGB score attack game that I love, but it's not as casual as, say, a God of War game. You'll die enough on hard. It's fast as hell, maybe faster than NG2. but definitely more mashy. I'm still early, so I can mostly get away with mashing, but I'm starting to get to some enemies that punish it.

after an hour and a half, I like it better than NGS2 and if the balance doesn't go to shit, I might like it more than NG2. I'm skipping the cutscenes you can skip and the action doesn't get interrupted too often and it's rarely for too long...I hate the "slowly walk forwards" parts.

it's very different...

I got in one deathmatch online and it was very laggy. If it was all working properly, it might be better, but it's kind of a clusterfuck of ninjas.

yea I think its either going to come across as OK for some, or absolutely horrible for diehard NG fans.

I guess I fall in the OK category, as I wasn't expecting much from NG3.

yea I think its either going to come across as OK for some, or absolutely horrible for diehard NG fans.

as a diehard NG fan, absolutely horrible. but I have been used to that feeling since I realized NG2 was a rushed game...then NGS2 was a big let down and NGS+ an even bigger letdown.

just as an action game, it could be a hell of a lot worse and the actual action is pretty intense and fun. I'll have to see how the difficulty ramps up.

So basically if I played NGS and NG2 on Ninja Dog, and loved NG2 but wasn't a fan on NGS (environment were too 'samey' and I didn't getting lost, and the combat was too slow for me) will I like NG3? Everything I've seen so far doesn't seem too offensive to me, but replay value looks low.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I caved.

it's very different...

I was wondering what the proper term for a group of ninjas was.

Death match doesn't fit the format very well. Ninja DoTA would have been a lot better.

d0c_zaius

as a diehard NG fan, absolutely horrible. but I have been used to that feeling since I realized NG2 was a rushed game...then NGS2 was a big let down and NGS+ an even bigger letdown.

just as an action game, it could be a hell of a lot worse and the actual action is pretty intense and fun. I'll have to see how the difficulty ramps up.

yup agreed

IJoel

I expected a decent game, even if subpar by NG standards. That said, the first area is quickly dashing my expectations, despite how low they are, with the unresponsive controls (I can't believe the controls are this unresponsive - breaks the combat flow completely), missile showers, and boring enemy battles.

The timing is pretty different. If you can buffer, you can fly around the battlefield killing everyone all day. If you try to play it like NG1 or 2, you'll die because the controls doesn't work like that.

and I agree that the slowdown eats inputs and screws things up.

inf3cti0n

Banned
I'm liking the challenge mode in this, I might bite, I dig boss battels, and they seem to have updated the look of some of the more garish designs, I also like the leveling/customization aspect..that may be this games saving grace in the end.

Are you saying you've played this game? Did you buy or rent it?

Edit:
I'M A MEMBER!!
OH MEIn Gott I'm GLOWING!?
Carlton: yesssssss, YESSSSSS.

/freakout

Yes I bought the game, can provide pics of my game and screen while logged into the almighty gaf. The game is TERRIBAD. there is no defending it :)

Four Wude

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about to stream again in 5 minutes! I'm resuming from where I last left off. It's NG3 on Hard mode, just cleared Day 4, and about to start Day 5. I'll start once everyone's in the lobby so that I don't miss anybody who was on the previous stream!

www.twitch.tv/fourwudegaming

Thanks for the support!

Top Bottom