• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's dge |OT| I guess that's what it means to be a ninja

The poor graphics are a surprise in a bad way, the rest is better than I expected. I'm not too sure what to think, big improvement overall but worse graphics and texturing? Bizarre. At least get some FXAA on that shit.

- J - D -

Hmm. I wish they would have compared it directly with the vanilla version.

edit: Also, it went from being 3 to a 7.6!! Obviously not by the same reviewer though :p

I'd wait for the digital foundry graphics comparison for screen-by-screen comparisons and detailed breakdowns of the graphical differences. Not saying the IGN comparison is wrong, but it's brief and didn't say whether the reviewer directly compared the two or if he's going off by memory.

The poor graphics are a surprise in a bad way, the rest is better than I expected. I'm not too sure what to think, big improvement overall but worse graphics and texturing? Bizarre. At least get some FXAA on that shit.

Let's hope for a patch!

there won't be a patch :(

Interesting to see the other reviews. The 'you need a pro controller' is dreadfully explained in that - it seems to just be they don't like the use of the gamepad...even though they find it fine...

So yeah.

kunonabi

Well, it's nice to see reviewers shitting on the gamepad in promotion of the pro controller without any explanation already. Such predictable douche bags.

Nibel

The GamePad is surprisingly comfortable and convenient to wield in one's button mashing endeavors. The wider play surface is appreciated for a game that encourages thumb cramps so enthusiastically, moreso than the optional Pro Controller input. While many may feel that Nintendo's optional peripheral is the preferred way to play Ninja Gaiden, the cramped design of that particular controller is nowhere near as usable as the spacious layout on the Pad. I'd recommend sticking with the Wii U's prime controller if you insist on playing this at all.

Interesting

Hoodbury

GI did an "impression" instead of a review because they couldn't test the online part, but Dan still wasn't overly impressed with it:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...akes-with-ninja-gaiden-3-razor-39-s-edge.aspx

While none of these tweaks and additions are unwelcome, the core material of the game is still the weakest in the series. Enemies are still brainless, combat doesn't require the finesse of previous titles, and the story is as incoherent and terrible as ever. I didn't enjoy my time with Ninja Gaiden 3 earlier this year, and what I've seen of Razor's Edge leads me to believe that gamers won't have any better of a time with this update.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
IGN said:
Speaking of controllers, Razor’s Edge might seem like a $60 game, but you should really budget another $50 on top of that, as a Pro Controller is practically (but not technically) required here.

Well, there goes my hope for off-screen play.

Edit: Just saw Nibel's quote, now I'm confused...

Sterling:
The GamePad is surprisingly comfortable and convenient to wield in one's button mashing endeavors. The wider play surface is appreciated for a game that encourages thumb cramps so enthusiastically, moreso than the optional Pro Controller input. While many may feel that Nintendo's optional peripheral is the preferred way to play Ninja Gaiden, the cramped design of that particular controller is nowhere near as usable as the spacious layout on the Pad. I'd recommend sticking with the Wii U's prime controller if you insist on playing this at all.

He actually gives a very very detailed review. Unlike IGN who say nothing.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yup, sounds like I'm waiting for BOMBA prices. Shouldn't take too long.

Well, it's nice to see reviewers shitting on the gamepad in promotion of the pro controller without any explanation already. Such predictable douche bags.

It's a controller so ymmv. Don't see the big deal.

IGN Video Review is fucking idiotic.

He doesn't know if the WiiU can do AA...he also thinks whilst worse than 360/PS3 its decent on the Wii U...

EDIT: Again the pro controller is HIGHLY recommended cause its not designed for quick gameplay...how? I don't think he played with it much at all.
EDITEDIT: Constantly mentions the Pro Controller throughout as if its wrong to even think about using the gamepad.

guek

Banned
Alright, I guess I'm waiting for the bomba bin. A bit sad since I wanted to support the developer, but not if the work isn't up to snuff.

Skilletor

This is a very good video.

And you can't kill the scared soldiers anymore!?

Awe, that was the most emotion(because it was so cold) I've ever seen in a Ninja Gaiden game, and it's gone now lol

It was horrible in game because you would target them instead of characters actually attacking you.

Effect

GamesRader just posted up a comparison video on youtube.
http://youtu.be/vUC8Qe4FsL4

I like what I'm seeing. So it's still on the buy list for me though it was never day one. Over the next next several weeks I'll get to it. Want to see what more is said about it all the same. Will ultimately judge for myself.

The GamesRadar video told me more about the game then the IGN review ever did in the end. IGN "review" seems like such a waste. This review is why I don't let any review be the deciding factor and why I honestly started looking at YouTube walkthroughs and gameplay clips to help with purchasing decisions. Still not seeing anything that would turn me off the game. Though I haven't see anything in detail regarding the story.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I wonder if there's fuzzy memory goggles in place for criticizing this version for jaggies and muddy textures. The vanilla version of the game, does not look fantastic in terms of environments. The visuals were jaggy, environmental textures were muddy and often low res.

The screenshots I've seen of this version appear to be basically identical (outside of the things that are actually changed, of course).

Jeff-DSA

Just because I love the series, I'll get this after its first price drop for the Wii U. Can't justify it at launch with everything else coming out.

From what I'm gathering the reviews I've read: combat is good with better balance, fewer QTE's, the character inconsistencies are gone, has some nice extras but the story is weak, it has repetitive enemies and some frame rate issues. I'm still picking it up within the launch window, I could give two shits about story in a Ninja Gaiden game and repetitive enemies won't bother me as long as the combat is fun and besides, I'm a casual Musou fan.

Skilletor

Good riddance then. I hate when things like that happen. I would have been pissed off that sort of shit happened when I played it.

I vaguely recall reading that one of the people responsible for the targeting in previous NG games left with Itagaki. It's pretty apparent in both NG:S, where you'll target people that just died instead of other enemies, and NG3 where you would target the helpless soldiers.

I don't know how true that is, but there were definitely targeting issues in both those games that weren't present in earlier iterations.

NateDrake

From what I'm gathering the reviews I've read: combat is good with better balance, fewer QTE's, the character inconsistencies are gone, has some nice extras but the story is weak, it has repetitive enemies and some frame rate issues. I'm still picking it up within the launch window, I could give two shits about story in a Ninja Gaiden game and repetitive enemies won't bother me as long as the combat is fun and besides, I'm a casual Musou fan.

Basically, yes. The gameplay has improved but the core of the game remains terrible. It should be a fun game, just not an amazing Ninja Gaiden Black type experience.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Might want to read some more reviews. NG: Musou sounds about right though.

Effect

Basically, yes. The gameplay has improved but the core of the game remains terrible. It should be a fun game, just not an amazing Ninja Gaiden Black type experience.

Can someone please explain this. I've seen this said a few times but no detail on what that really means. Granted I've never played a NG so I don't have anything to compare and perhaps this is why that phrase is obvious to others. I thought gameplay and the systems that make it up were the core of a game. If those aren't the issues or will be the issues anymore what is still possibly wrong?

seady

Reviewers are human too, if you are them, it's pretty hard to imagine yourself to get overly excited to review a 7 month old port of a badly-reviewed game.

The game is doomed to get bad reviews since day 1 of announcement.

benzy

I said it once and I will say it again, the only good NG was NG Black, after that they have all been mediocre so I don't understand why this one has been picked as the game that ended it all. Ninja Gaiden 2 was the one to earn that title first.

What? NG1 vanilla was awesome. NGB just made it perfect. NG2 provides a lot of fun as long as you can get over the unbalanced A.I. The enemy encounters, pacing, environments, enemy attack designs, and core combat is drastically better than the shit in NG3.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qoXnJL68Elk

Hiltz

Reviewers are human too, if you are them, it's pretty hard to imagine yourself to get overly excited to review a 7 month old port of a badly-reviewed game.

The game is doomed to get bad reviews since day 1 of announcement.

There's truth in your statement, but the game would have gotten better reviews if it actually were a vastly better port. Nintendo was foolish to think it could get an incompetent Team Ninja to improve upon a rushed current-gen port job that was fundamentally bad from the get-go.

NateDrake

Can someone please explain this. I've seen this said a few times but no detail on what that really means. Granted I've never played a NG so I don't have anything to compare and perhaps this is why that phrase is obvious to others. I thought gameplay and the systems that make it up were the core of a game. If those aren't the issues or will be the issues anymore what is still possibly wrong?

The storyline, characters, and stuff in NG3 are horrible. Some of the sequences are just ridiculous and laughable. They are things the development team couldn't change without making it an entirely new game. With combat, AI, gore, and skills enhanced, the issue with the NG3RZ seems to be the storyline and stupid sequences.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
That's true, but the game would have gotten better reviews if it actually were a vastly better port. Nintendo was foolish to think it could get an incompetent Team Ninja to improve upon a rushed current-gen port job that was fundamentally bad from the get-go.

It might have been better for them to have tried to get DoA5 on Wii U; a game that's actually good to start with.

Hiltz

It might have been better for them to have tried to get DoA5 on Wii U; a game that's actually good to start with.

In terms of quality? Absolutely. However, I think it probably boiled down to two reasons for Nintendo choosing not to go with DOA5 : development time for launch release and genre variety. Ninja Gaiden 3 came out in March and 8 months later for Wii U. Had DOA5 come out for Wii U 8 months later, then we would not get it until May 2013, 2 months after the launch window schedule. As for competition, Nintendo knew that Namco Bandai was bringing Tekken Tag Team Tournament 2 for Wii U at launch as well. Nintendo probably wanted to have more variety of genres for Wii U. Of course, a bad game is bad forever and Nintendo's ultimately chosen to go with that instead of a late port of a good game.

Ninja Gaiden: Razor’s Edge still remains the weakest title in the Ninja Gaiden trilogy, but additions like the Ayane missions and balancing tweaks make the game a decent, gloriously gory action title. Many of the flaws from the original Ninja Gaiden 3 have been addressed, and, at times, you’ll feel the same thrill you would from the first two titles in the series. But the weak story, repeat enemies, and frame-rate issues still hold the bloody title back from the greatness of its prestigious pedigree.

Sounds good enough, I'm still intrigued lol. Hopefully it'll reach bomba pricing soon. Shit, all these ports should be budget releases anyway - some retail chain around my corner lists the goddamn Batman for 70€...

.la1n

What? NG1 vanilla was awesome. NGB just made it perfect. NG2 provides a lot of fun as long as you can get over the unbalanced A.I. The enemy encounters, pacing, environments, enemy attack designs, and core combat is drastically better than the shit in NG3.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qoXnJL68Elk

I agree with you on NG1 vanilla and while NG2 could be an enjoyable experience it was a marked downgrade to the series and one it never recovered from. I just find it funny how it's all of a sudden we are calling it the ninjadog team when it's arguably been that way before Itagaki even parted. Just an observation / opinion.

Top Bottom