• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's dge |OT| I guess that's what it means to be a ninja

I'm going to buy this game and enjoy the shit out of it. I never expect Gaiden to be a hyper polished, ultra quality have, and it never has. It's a really good game with some serious flaws, and nothing more. That's what I'm expecting, and I'm confident that is what I'm going to get. They would have to go out of their way to make a game like NG3 worse, and I'm just not ready to believe a company is that dumb with Nintendo helping out.

I mean fuck. Worse!? Of course I haven't played it, but it just seems...unlikely.

Ryan_IGN

IGN says there's will be going up on the 13th. No idea when though. Could be midnight PST or during the middle of the day or any time in the evening.

I'm just looking for a average of the reviews to know if the game is decent. Not looking to see if it's "OMG this is great" but okay, playable, and has a decent amount of features. I really liked what I saw in the launch trailer.

10am for the IGN review. Honestly, I expect reviews for this to be all over the place given the strange circumstances of this game. Some critics will be coming at it having never played NG3, others will be veterans. Some will factor in the how-is-it-different-than-before angle and others will ignore that completely. Etc. For the IGN review, I am doing my best to address all scenarios, though ultimately I am coming at it as someone who played and finished the Xbox 360 version of NG3.

I'm perplexed that this game is somehow worse than the original, but I'm even more baffled by the notion that someone who gets payed to review video games can't figure out the buttons. Is it like the precarious Icarus myth in that the self-sure writer's hand ignited when he got too close to the correct button? Or does cultivating a Magoo-esque series of blunders make one more relatable by projecting a sort of cynical affability? Clearly, the true answer is in your heart.

All I would really want is the game being based on its own merits and not what anyone "thinks" it should be. It's ok to not want a game because it doesn't fulfill what you would have liked, but I just want to know if it did what you think it was intended to do. For example, I hate Heavy Rain with a passion, but I think it hit good marks on it's actual intentions.

Edit: when does this game release anyway? I thought it was before the 18th.

Hiltz

All I would really want is the game being based on its own merits and not what anyone "thinks" it should be. It's ok to not want a game because it doesn't fulfill what you would have liked, but I just want to know if it did what you think it was intended to do. For example, I hate Heavy Rain with a passion, but I think it hit good marks on it's actual intentions.

Ninja Gaiden 3 comes out Nov. 18th for North America. It's also a downloadable packaged title. IGN's review will be up some time tomorrow for it. By the way, I think GameFly is offering Wii U games on it so you can always try out the free rental trial to test out if any of the launch games are worth owning.

Edit: when does this game release anyway?

I think expectations should play into reviews to some limited extent. Clearly, you shouldn't get angry at a football manager sim for not being FIFA, but you also shouldn't look at a game in a vacuum. And what if the stuff the game intends to do is stupid? I guess with Heavy Rain you don't even reach that question because it fails to hit any of its intentions by virtue of being poorly written and hamfisted.

Ninja Gaiden 3 comes out Nov. 18th for North America. It's also a downloadable packaged title. IGN's review will be up some time tomorrow for it. By the way, I think GameFly is offering Wii U games on it so you can always try out the free rental trial to test out if any of the launch games are worth owning.

Yep. Already have it on gamefly to test out. I still have my pre-order in, but I'll test it regardless.

I think expectations should play into reviews to some limited extent. Clearly, you shouldn't get angry at a football manager sim for not being FIFA, but you also shouldn't look at a game in a vacuum. And what if the stuff the game intends to do is stupid? I guess with Heavy Rain you don't even reach that question because it fails to hit any of its intentions by virtue of being poorly written and hamfisted.
Well, I do think the story was dumb. I was speaking solely on gameplay, but I should have stayed that. I hated the narrative in Heavy Rain, but I hate it in most games.

Robot Pants

The fact that Ryus recovery time on his moves has been reduced (returned to ng2 recovery?) is actually a huge improvement and can already make the game better. As someone mentioned before, the grabbing in NG3 was out of control, and getting caught by it had a lot to do with the recovery. Part of it was also that the enemies would ignore you beating the crap out of them and just grab you mid combo. They may have even removed that. But if not, having less recovery time could help with that problem as well.

Having beaten NG3 on MN a few times I can see the shortened recovery time immediately making the game a much less infuriating experience.

The ONLY thing that could make this game worse is if they didn't fix the frame rate. With all the new effects they added (limbs flying off etc) they are really gonna have to address the framerate problem that plagued the vanilla version. But since the wii u is more powerful than current gen systems it should be fine. And judging by the trailer, it seems to be running well.

I did not like NG3 at all, and was very glad I only rented it. Very glad. I had pretty much written off any game from team ninja dog (especially any helmed by hayashi) but from what I've seen and read, I'm hopeful for this version even though I won't get to play it unless its ported later.
But I urge those of you interested in this game to wait for decent reviews before going out and potentially wasting your money.

danmaku

The fact that Ryus recovery time on his moves has been reduced (returned to ng2 recovery?) is actually a huge improvement and can already make the game better. As someone mentioned before, the grabbing in NG3 was out of control, and getting caught by it had a lot to do with the recovery. Part of it was also that the enemies would ignore you beating the crap out of them and just grab you mid combo. They may have even removed that. But if not, having less recovery time could help with that problem as well.

Having beaten NG3 on MN a few times I can see the shortened recovery time immediately making the game a much less infuriating experience.

The ONLY thing that could make this game worse is if they didn't fix the frame rate. With all the new effects they added (limbs flying off etc) they are really gonna have to address the framerate problem that plagued the vanilla version. But since the wii u is more powerful than current gen systems it should be fine. And judging by the trailer, it seems to be running well.

I did not like NG3 at all, and was very glad I only rented it. Very glad. I had pretty much written off any game from team ninja dog (especially any helmed by hayashi) but from what I've seen and read, I'm hopeful for this version even though I won't get to play it unless its ported later.
But I urge those of you interested in this game to wait for decent reviews before going out and potentially wasting your money.

Seriously, people should read posts like that instead of arguing about controllers because a reviewer said something bad about their precious little game.

Curious for the reviews, will it score better than the original?

Probably yes, it has more stuff than the original and this pretty much guarantees higher scores.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Shit Sandwich returns, now with creamier shit and a new special mustard sauce. Launch adopters line up, drooling.

See, I actually like having to deal with something such as recovery time. I don't like always being able to zap out of a situation simply because I see it coming, I want to plan for such an event. This is why I like Dark Souls so much. If the have wants to be twitch and ultra responsive, I'm cool with that, but design around it. Make me HAVE to be that way, not just play better if I happen to be that way.

I didn't have any problems with recovery in vanilla to be honest. I just had to plan ahead at all times. Maybe Ninja Gaiden isn't about that though, generally speaking.

I consider myself a HUGE Ninja Gaiden fan. I own NG3 for PS3 and beat it several times even on Master Ninja and poured over 90 hours into it. Admittedly, I liked the game for what it was and even though it was definitely a step down from NG2, NG and NG:Black, Sigma 1 and Sigma 2. I still thought it was a "fun", intense hack and slasher and thought the game did not deserve all of the hate it garnered. With NG3, I get a RE6 vibe for some reason from the critics. I am having a very difficult time believing that NG3: RE is worst than NG3. Just as bad?? Who knows, it's plausible. Worst? I need to hear this in full detail. With the inclusion of Ayane, Momiji(?), Sonia(??), new levels, collectibles, multi-arrow shots, new weapons, gore(everyone wanted it back, right?), extra blood, life bars for bosses, karma currency, guillotine throw returns, less delay in Ryu's moves, more responsive control, new enemies, supposedly improved AI and more things I probably don't even know about, how is this worst? Even if there are slight modifications to the gameplay mechanics, all of the extra content would at least make it just as good, no worst I'm assuming.

Ok, you start of with your basic move set like the old games, but one reason so many people were criticizing the NG3 demo and the game was because they thought it was too easy because apparently, all you need to do is hit the square button, right? This could make things more challenging like people seemingly wanted, but if the AI is still throw happy and more aggressive, then this could be a problem for some people, especially beginners. Frustration can sometimes lead to negative impressions from what I've seen, so I really want to hear how Team Ninja screwed up this "definitive" version. Maybe when people play the game, they will be expecting Ryu's full arsenal of moves only to find out that they have access to a diminutive amount of moves which makes the game seem dull or more shallow? I doubt the reviews for this game will be good or even fair even if there are significant improvements, so I'm expecting more bad ratings. I feel that many people will write the game off before spending ample time with it due to their unbridled hatred for NG3. If it's genuinely worst than NG3, then I will be VERY disappointed in Team Ninja because even with all of it's problems, I still enjoyed NG3. We'll see what happens, but I can already visualize the deplorable reviews pouring in for this one.

Reiko

Banned
jcpnazwll6izvgoo6z.jpg

gen175noj1.jpg

Maybe Tecmo should pay Itagaki & crew and bring them back on board.

Nintendo sent staff over...to make it worse!?

it could be that those staff did nothing but help Team Ninja understand the hardware

Or it could all be "bad by association" from a game site writer who already reviewed this title on other platforms and has many other launch games to get to. Why not allow your mind to foster that "bad by association" attitude? It is lazy but you can get away with it, giving the game a chance and a fresh look takes more time and effort.

Effect

Dudes are losing their shit over one twitter comment....

Guys chill. Lets wait for more reviews..,

This. If the game was as bad as people say there is no way it could possibly be worse. Not with Nintendo acting as the publisher, sending people over to help with development, and as being as controlling of the Wii U launch as they have been. It doesn't seem at all possible Nintendo would allow that to happen nor would it make sense for Team Ninja to want to screw up like that and ruin their relationship with Nintendo at the start of a new console's life.

cullenx

Banned
bad games made worst?

Haha, that's not what I meant. I mean action games like God of War, Bayonetta and Devil May Cry. I hadn't read the aegis clusterfuck before I'd posted this. Ninja Gaiden for XBOX blew me the fuck away when I played it. I was so excited by it that I always talked about it to my non-gamer friends. The result was them giving me the nickname Ninja Gaiden. They were really original. The fact that this could be worse disgusts me. Fire all those Team Ninja douches.

You can believe my opinions or not
.... And no, I don't think the controller is good for the game

No time for a review but time to give some "opinion" about a game? And of course some statements how bad the Wii U gamepad is ...

Thats all I needed to know about this guy to sort his comments in the "right" place.

ultim8p00

Banned
See, I actually like having to deal with something such as recovery time. I don't like always being able to zap out of a situation simply because I see it coming, I want to plan for such an event. This is why I like Dark Souls so much. If the have wants to be twitch and ultra responsive, I'm cool with that, but design around it. Make me HAVE to be that way, not just play better if I happen to be that way.

I didn't have any problems with recovery in vanilla to be honest. I just had to plan ahead at all times. Maybe Ninja Gaiden isn't about that though, generally speaking.

Either you didn't play vanilla, or you played at the hero difficulty.

There is NO WAY anyone who played NG3 can say something like this. The game was broken. It wasn't a problem of having recovery time. In Dark Souls, recovery time is long, but the game is designed around that (i.e enemies also have long recovery time or they react to you hitting them in a much more pronounced way).

In NG3, the enemies are very fast, and they even attack you through your attacks, making the recovery issue a huge problem. THEY GRAB YOU IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR ATTACKS WHILE YOU ARE HITTING THEM. The older NG games do this to an extent, but the short recovery makes you able to counteract this by dashing out of there. In NG3 Ryu feels like he is stuck in mud after every single attack and you can't do anything but sit and watch as enemies grab you.

You cannot plan for that.

Skilletor

I don't even know what this means. Nevermind that it's a sequel to a vaunted franchise and should be compared to what came previously. Games don't exist in vaccuums. If this game sucks compared to other games, why should I play this one? This isn't something like Heavy Rain where it's extremely unique and other games don't give a similar experience. This is an action game, and there are lots of those out there.

This game is garbage on so many levels that there is no reason for anybody who likes action games to try it. They'd be better off with just about any other option out there.

Edit: Vanilla NG, I mean. We'll see about this version.

.la1n

I said it once and I will say it again, the only good NG was NG Black, after that they have all been mediocre so I don't understand why this one has been picked as the game that ended it all. Ninja Gaiden 2 was the one to earn that title first.

I said it once and I will say it again, the only good NG was NG Black, after that they have all been mediocre so I don't understand why this one has been picked as the game that ended it all. Ninja Gaiden 2 was the one to earn that title first.

Because Ninja gaiden 2 was amazing.it just focused on offense way more.

Skilletor

Ninja Gaiden 2's core combat system is amazing. Combat is really all that matters for me in an action game. NG2 is unpolished and unbalanced, but it's a lot of fun. NGB is better, I agree, but the focus of combat is different in NG2.

I prefer replaying NG2 over NGB. Personally can't wait for NGS2 on the Vita.

If NG3 were to end up NG2 in NG3's setting, I would be ecstatic.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

The difference between Ninja Gaiden 3 and Heavy Rain is that Ninja Gaiden 3 is part of an established franchise.

guek

Banned
ign said:
Visually, Ninja Gaiden 3 is hardly going to make your PS3 and Xbox-owning friends envious. In fact, Razor’s Edge is arguably uglier than its cousins, with bland textures and a bad case of the “jaggies” combining to create a muddy look that would’ve been called out seven years ago during the Xbox 360’s launch. Still, the framerate stays (mostly) smooth, which is crucial for a game like this.

Hmm. I wish they would have compared it directly with the vanilla version.

edit: Also, it went from being 3 to a 7.6!! Obviously not by the same reviewer though :p

BlankaBR

Banned
Visually, Ninja Gaiden 3 is hardly going to make your PS3 and Xbox-owning friends envious. In fact, Razor’s Edge is arguably uglier than its cousins, with bland textures and a bad case of the “jaggies” combining to create a muddy look that would’ve been called out seven years ago during the Xbox 360’s launch
Ouch

Revan

Sounds decent. I only played the NG3 PS3 demo and I preordered this on Amazon when it was $50 so I think I'll keep my preorder.

It's pretty disappointing that the reviewer says the game looks worse than NG3 though. I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem but with so much stuff to fix maybe it's understandable :/

I'll take worse looking textures if it fixes the framerate and gameplay of vanilla NG3 any day of the week.

Top Bottom