• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's dge |OT| I guess that's what it means to be a ninja

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I said microsoft and sony have set a standard for button confirmation — both use a + shape for their buttons, as does nintendo with the WiiU. The bottom of the plus has always been "confirm" or "go forward" or whatever. Even the gamecube had a big damned A button where your thumb rested. But now they've gone back to SNES layout and have kept "a" as the forward button, which sits where "b" on the 360 pad and circle on the PS3 pad rests. And yeah. It's goddamned confusing going back and forth between games on the PS3 and 360 and the WiiU and mixing them up. Is it a small thing? Sure. It's still backwards and dumb.

Circle on ps3 in Japan, so maybe Nintendo are going with local standards?

Well, looks like I will probably wait on a price drop on this one then. Seems that they did at least make it better, it is just that the starting point was already pretty damn low.

kunonabi

Well, looks like I will probably wait on a price drop on this one then. Seems that they did at least make it better, it is just that the starting point was already pretty damn low.

Pretty much. I'm still getting it day one. I only just got into these types of action games so I'll probably be able to enjoy it. The game still has the versus mode in addition to the co-op right? One of the reviews seemed to indicate that it was still there but it hasn't been mentioned anywhere else.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Sounds good enough, I'm still intrigued lol. Hopefully it'll reach bomba pricing soon. Shit, all these ports should be budget releases anyway - some retail chain around my corner lists the goddamn Batman for 70€...

Arkham City is fantastic though and should be a must own for any Nintendo only gamer. Ninja Gaiden 3 on the other hand...

danmaku

Damn, the game still has framerate problems even in this version? Team Ninja Dog, indeed.

What? NG1 vanilla was awesome. NGB just made it perfect. NG2 provides a lot of fun as long as you can get over the unbalanced A.I. The enemy encounters, pacing, environments, enemy attack designs, and core combat is drastically better than the shit in NG3.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qoXnJL68Elk

I've seen this video dozens of times, but holy shit. I'm speechless. That's what NG should be.

Sid

I've never told you but you're one of the few users on GAF that I can say "woosh" as a response for most of your posts lols.
lol but hey FWIW the game was starting to look promising based on some of the latest gameplay vids.

Eusis

Circle on ps3 in Japan, so maybe Nintendo are going with local standards?
It's also what they do on their handhelds, so it's a combo of that ans just being Nintendo standards. Sony upended that for USA/Europe, and Microsoft just followed Sony's example given their core markets were USA/Europe instead of Japan.

benzy

I agree with you on NG1 vanilla and while NG2 could be an enjoyable experience it was a marked downgrade to the series and one it never recovered from. I just find it funny how it's all of a sudden we are calling it the ninjadog team when it's arguably been that way before Itagaki even parted. Just an observation / opinion.

The only downgrade in NG2 is in its lack of polish. NG1 took 5 years to develop, whereas NG2 had 2-3 years, not to mention the whole debacle between Team ninja not getting paid bonuses for DOA4 during this time frame. Theres a wonderful game engine and core design in NG2. Itagaki and his team knew what they were doing and what they wanted to do. It was just a matter of how long it would take, so i'm not sure why they would be considered Ninja Dog just because they ran out of time to balance the game.

With Hayashi however, I honestly don't think he knows what to do with the franchise. Everything new that TN added in NG3 was complete shit and unnecessary. They only had one type of weapon to focus on for the combat mechanics, swords, and they still failed in making it as developed and satisfying as the old Team Ninja.

BlankaBR

Banned
I hope Darksiders and AC3 will be better or at the same leve as the other versions, if it comes out worst like NG3 I will start to worry about the Wii U soon :(

The only downgrade in NG2 is in its lack of polish. NG1 took 5 years to develop, whereas NG2 had 2-3 years, not to mention the whole debacle between Team ninja not getting paid bonuses for DOA4 during this time frame. Theres a wonderful game engine and core design in NG2. Itagaki and his team knew what they were doing and what they wanted to do. It was just a matter of how long it would take, so i'm not sure why they would be considered Ninja Dog just because they ran out of time to balance the game.

With Hayashi however, I honestly don't think he knows what to do with the franchise. Everything new that TN added in NG3 was complete shit and unnecessary. They only had one type of weapon to focus on for the combat mechanics, swords, and they still failed in making it as developed and satisfying as the old Team Ninja.

Wasn't the story that NG2 wasn't finished code and Itagaki was fooled into handing it over to the Tecmo bosses or was that story connected to one of the other Team Ninja games?

I just remember that being the start of the problems between the two parties.

Dantis

Wasn't the story that NG2 wasn't finished code and Itagaki was fooled into handing it over to the Tecmo bosses or was that story connected to one of the other Team Ninja games?

I just remember that being the start of the problems between the two parties.

That was DOA2, not NG2.

P90

This is giving reason to reconsider my pre-order.

edit: I just canclelled my pre-order. If Tecmo can't get it right I'll wait for bargain bin. If Kasumi ends up being playable then I am in.

Here's another review: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/ninja-gaiden-3-razors-edge-review/

Ninja Gaiden 3 was a mess. It had technical problems, and it just didn’t work all that well. While this game is a port of that one, there is more than just a few new modes and inclusion of a new controller scheme. Razor’s Edge is a better game: Polished and reworked. It’s a second chance for Team Ninja, and one that they made the best of.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge is still a hack and slash game with waves of identical enemies charging you endlessly. The combat is what makes this game, which is good, since that is pretty much all there is. Still, fun is fun. If you are among those looking for Wii U launch titles, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge is among the strongest.

8.0/10

I hope Darksiders and AC3 will be better or at the same leve as the other versions, if it comes out worst like NG3 I will start to worry about the Wii U soon :(

The fuck do you mean by worse? It has been said that Darksiders II will look the same as the 360/PS3 versions, unless the hardware gets a significant boost in power. As for ACIII, I'm not sure what to expect. You shouldn't worry about the Wii U though. BLOPS II looks better (at least from those small snippets of gameplay) than the PS3/360 versions.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Seems the reception so far its mixed. We'll see by the end of the week and I'll take positives and negatives into consideration in the end anyway.

P90

Just wait more reviews, there are too few to have a solid opinion about the game.

Makes sense. I'll wait for more reviews. I don't usually use reviews for game decisions, but given this game's past history I think it would be wise.

Vazra

Makes sense. I'll wait for more reviews. I don't usually use reviews for game decisions, but given this game's past history I think it would be wise.

Also don't look too much into the score. IGN review the written content seems like a higher score than the actual number they gave it. Look and think what things would really bother you and what things that might be complains you feel you might be able to forgive or dont care much about. Overall I think reviews would be better without scores.

Kevtones

NSMB
Zombi U
Nintendoland
Ninja Gaiden: RZ
Nano Assault Neo

Looks like a good launch day haul to me. I don't know though... These reviews are making it tough...

Vazra

This is where I'm at I think. I didn't really like Darksiders though... Got bored after about 4-5 hours.

while Darksiders its better game than NGIII there are problems with Darksiders 2. Story just doesnt feel like its there. It has the Twilight Princess syndrome of having a big world full of nothing. There are some glitches here and there which might be annoying on the long run. Combat is nice but the sense of adventure doesnt feel where it should be IMO.

WilyRook

"Right now we are just really focused on getting Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge out, but we do want as many people as possible to experience that challenge and that fun. So having that on other platforms we’re working on that idea. We are looking at that, but right now, we are focused on Razor’s Edge,"

"Will people who bought Ninja Gaiden 3 for PS3 and Xbox 360 be able to get the upcoming DLC?"

"We can’t say for sure how it will be coming to the other consoles, but we are thinking of ways to be able to make Ninja Gaiden fans on all consoles happy," Hayashi replied.

?

Thoraxes

This is where I'm at I think. I didn't really like Darksiders though... Got bored after about 4-5 hours.

while Darksiders its better game than NGIII there are problems with Darksiders 2. Story just doesnt feel like its there. It has the Twilight Princess syndrome of having a big world full of nothing. There are some glitches here and there which might be annoying on the long run. Combat is nice but the sense of adventure doesnt feel where it should be IMO.

Basically me and two friends are each getting a second title in addition to Mario it seems, so we all decided to get something different and just trade each other when we finished. They already have AssCreed and ZombiU covered though.

nickcv

"Either the Wii U can't do anti-aliasing..."

Holy shit. The media trolling Wii U begins.

Also, the reviewer was dorkish as hell.
"M-rated game on Wii U!""M-rated game on Wii U!" "Can you believe it?!?!"

i also loved how he started the review stating outright to dismiss the gamepad and play with the pro controller.

Vazra

Basically me and two friends are each getting a second title in addition to Mario it seems, so we all decided to get something different and just trade each other when we finished. They already have AssCreed and ZombiU covered though.

You can get Darksiders 2. Its by no means a bad game but it has issues that might affect the overall impression and definitely IMO more entertaining than NG3 (Vanilla) also you can wait for a bit more reviews for NG3RE and see if you like what you hear.

jrDev

The hype surrounding this game always seemed to have a weird faux-hype aura to me, as if it was being projected by people who hadn't touched Ninja Gaiden 3, had little experience with the franchise, and were only interested in the game because it's a Wii U launch title, Nintendo is publishing it, and "Team Ninja is fixing it". Pretty much everybody disappointed with Ninja Gaiden 3 has stated ad nauseum that Ninja Gaiden 3's fundamental problems were not the lack of gore, the absence of variety and levelling systems, ease of play, or anything like that. These were problems, but not the reason Ninja Gaiden 3 was considered a poor game. It's a poor game because the core mechanical design, encounter design, pacing, and game design is just plain shitty. For many people the possibility of a good Ninja Gaiden 3 could only exist if the entire game was remade as something different, because the issues with the vanilla release are that deeply rooted in the design.

Maybe they pulled it off, I don't know and I won't be finding out first hand because I'm not going to risk it, but I'm not in the least bit surprised to hear someone familiar with the franchise finds Razor's Edge to be just as much of a turd as the original NG3.
I don't understand how hard it is to fix the mechanics...game design is not hard to change if you know where the fundamental problem lies. Was there something wrong with the levels? Redo 'em...encounter design? Modify it...etc...could someone enlighten me to the unfixable problems this game somehow has?

And yes, there are people out there who have never tried Ninja Gaiden (like me) and would only look in its direction with new hardware...because I have other games (more important) I can put my attention to on current hardware.

"Either the Wii U can't do anti-aliasing..."

Holy shit. The media trolling Wii U begins.

Also, the reviewer was dorkish as hell.
"M-rated game on Wii U!""M-rated game on Wii U!" "Can you believe it?!?!"

I love the bit where he explains how the graphics are so-so for WiiU but at 360 launch would be called out.

Thoraxes

You can get Darksiders 2. Its by no means a bad game but it has issues that might affect the overall impression and definitely IMO more entertaining than NG3 (Vanilla) also you can wait for a bit more reviews for NG3RE and see if you like what you hear.

Sounds good to me :D

Kevtones

I'm on the fence I think. RZ sounds sort of enticing just because it's been awhile since I've played the series.

Top Bottom