• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge |OT| - Slightly unf*cked, now for PS3/360

bidguy

Banned
i really, really want to buy this but i already played the shit out of the first game plus the demo bored me a bit.

are the visuals better in this one because the details in that demo where shitty.

If anyone is wondering, the framerate in the PS3 version is MUCH, MUCH better than in the Wii U version.
having played all 3 versions of the game (vanilla, wiiu re and the ps3 demo for re) I honestly cannot agree with this. They patched the wiiu version not long after release and improved the performance, too. There are a few places it was better on the demo but not leaps and bounds like some say.

Ninja Gaiden 3 remains the most disappointing game I've played but I'm in the mood for more of the series so I'll probably download this for 30 dollars whenever the Credit from last month hits. Surprised it's only 3.5 GBs, if nothing else because of all the video.

Really hoping this washes the bad taste of 3 out though. All of the weapons from 2 are available from the start now or how does it work? Only the dragon sword being usable in 3 still blows my mind. Also, did they make walls intractable now? In 3 you couldn't run up them, to dodge or come down to attack. Was bizarre.

My last question is if the PS3 can support all the gore that was added to Razer's Edge then why didn't they have any in Sigma 2? I was under the impression Sigma 2 used a very different engine than the 360 version so why couldn't it have been added?

Edit: I actually have a Wii U as well so is the PS3 version the one to get over it? Heard the framerate had been improved but I'm interested if anyone with the Wii U version has compared with the final copy of the PS3 version.

wsippel

Banned
After so many betas.... Will this finally be the definitive version?

I should go try out the demo.
Definitive version? It's exactly the same as Razor's Edge on Wii U. Wii U even got all the new content from the PS360 version about a month ago as free DLC. Including all the new costumes.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Having played through vanilla and Razor's Edge on Wii U, I can't agree that the RE version (on any platform) is a shit game.

It's now a pretty good, fun, and content packed hack n' slash game. It's not nearly as good as NG1 Black, or either version of NG2 in terms of level design, some details of the combat system, speed, etc. But it's a pretty good action combat game in general terms.

Don't buy/play it if you want the next Ninja Gaiden (sad to say), but it's not a bad way to spend time if you're looking for some good combat and a lot of it.

DR2K

Banned
Boss fights and qtes are truly awful. Just flat out terrible. God damn Team Ninja got doa5 right, but completely slaughtered ng3. Re has fun gameplay outside the uneeded garbage.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Having played through vanilla and Razor's Edge on Wii U, I can't agree that the RE version (on any platform) is a shit game.

It's now a pretty good, fun, and content packed hack n' slash game. It's not nearly as good as NG1 Black, or either version of NG2 in terms of level design, some details of the combat system, speed, etc. But it's a pretty good action combat game in general terms.

Don't buy/play it if you want the next Ninja Gaiden (sad to say), but it's not a bad way to spend time if you're looking for some good combat and a lot of it.

It's a shit game compared to NGB and NG2. They tried to fix what wasn't broke and ruined it. The pacing, controls, moves, ninpo usage and energy restoration have all been changed to the point that it's barely comparable to the first two. I can't imagine how bad the vanilla NG3 must have been if this is an improvement. As you said, it's an average hack n' slash, but fans who've been holding out expecting a similar experience to NGB & NG2 are going to be disappointed.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's a shit game compared to NGB and NG2. They tried to fix what wasn't broke and ruined it. The pacing, controls, moves, ninpo usage and energy restoration have all been changed to the point that it's barely comparable to the first two. I can't imagine how bad the vanilla NG3 must have been if this is an improvement. As you said, it's an average hack n' slash, but fans who've been holding out expecting a similar experience to NGB & NG2 are going to be disappointed.

I make no arguments against Ninja Gaiden series comparisons. But I'll take this game over something like God of War, that's for sure.

The only boss fight I really remember from the base game (aside from the masked cult leader battles) is the metal t-rex. At the very least it's memorable, even if all for bad reasons.

Is it just me or is this game hard as fuck? It took me like, 20 tries to beat that spider-tank thing on Normal. It's been years since I played Ninja Gaiden II, but I don't remember the series being this tough. Dark Souls was easier than this.

DR2K

Banned
Is it just me or is this game hard as fuck? It took me like, 20 tries to beat that spider-tank thing on Normal. It's been years since I played Ninja Gaiden II, but I don't remember the series being this tough. Dark Souls was easier than this.

Took a few tries, bosses get a lot worse.

fernoca

Based on EBGames' website in AU, it's the costumes in the OP. Which sucks since I like them.

bonus_ninjagaiden_razors_edge_large.jpg

Why the U.S. site decided to not list them at all is beyond me.

That...doesn't make sense. The costumes were included in the last Wii U update, and were apparently on this disc version. Unless they decided to lock them as unlock keys/DLC? Weird.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
So this version Katsumi and Momiji are playable? Single player content?

The Wii U is different right?

Glad it's only $40 at least.
It's basically the Wii U version, but eveyrthing on disc (except the preorder DLC mentioend above?). Momiji, Ayane and Kasumi are playable on Chapter Challenges. The main storyline is still about Ryu.

Wii U version was also on sale last week for $30.

EDIT:
It's disc locked content.
Oh boy! :p
My friend's going to be pissed. He was the other day here and saw me playing Razor's Edge on Wii U (got it recently too through one of those sales, but for $25) and liked "Ryu's-spirit alt and Kasumi's-sailor alt. I told him, "yeah everything will be on the disc and for $40". :p

CmdBash

I heard that on the ps3/360 versions you have to finish single player to unlock other playable characters, is this true? If so, what's the length of the single player? playing as a black robed ninja is pretty boring :)

jorgeton

Currently dl'ing it off psn. It came with the preorder costumes/online pass so I figured "why not"? Looking forward to bringing my demo data to the full game and slicing up fools with the dual katanas.

How is the online mode btw?

Mesharey

I heard that on the ps3/360 versions you have to finish single player to unlock other playable characters, is this true? If so, what's the length of the single player? playing as a black robed ninja is pretty boring :)
I unlocked Ayane after playing her stage.
Don't know about other characters yet.
Story mode is around 8-10 hours.

Carbonox

I bought Ninja Gaiden 3 day one despite knowing full well it's supposed to be dog shit. It was worse than dog shit. Now I have it sitting on my bookcase stinking the place up.

Despite this, I'm curious about Razor's Edge.

Someone kill me now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Oh boy! :p
My friend's going to be pissed. He was the other day here and saw me playing Razor's Edge on Wii U (got it recently too through one of those sales, but for $25) and liked "Ryu's-spirit alt and Kasumi's-sailor alt. I told him, "yeah everything will be on the disc and for $40". :p

What's bullshit is that it wasn't even advertised, so no one really had any idea that it was a pre-order bonus.

Liamario

Banned
I bought Ninja Gaiden 3 day one despite knowing full well it's supposed to be dog shit. It was worse than dog shit. Now I have it sitting on my bookcase stinking the place up.

Despite this, I'm curious about Razor's Edge.

Someone kill me now.

You're never going to learn. You should consider lubing yourself up every morning before you do anything; just so your ready to get f**ked in the ass by anyone and everyone.
I mean this in the nicest possible way.

Dave1988

Based on EBGames' website in AU, it's the costumes in the OP. Which sucks since I like them.

bonus_ninjagaiden_razors_edge_large.jpg

Why the U.S. site decided to not list them at all is beyond me.

Looks like this costume pack is free in Europe. I've just downloaded it off of PSN.

I don't care what anyone says. This IMO is a GOOD game. They seemingly fixed a lot of the issues from NG3 so far. I am having a lot of fun with it. Yeah, I actually liked NG3 for what it was, but this is the game that it should of been. Just don't go into it expecting it to reinvent the wheel if you hated NG3, but imo it's definitely an improvement. Is it me or are the graphics sharper and better? The lighting looks improved also.

CronoShot

Tried the PS3 demo, seemed to have a lot more input lag than the Wii U version. I don't know if it's how my TV and PS3 are set up or what, but it felt noticeably worse right from the get go.

Kingpen

I don't care what anyone says. This IMO is a GOOD game. They seemingly fixed a lot of the issues from NG3 so far. I am having a lot of fun with it. Yeah, I actually liked NG3 for what it was, but this is the game that it should of been. Just don't go into it expecting it to reinvent the wheel if you hated NG3, but imo it's definitely an improvement. Is it me or are the graphics sharper and better? The lighting looks improved also.

I feel the exact same way. But now there is more content packed in. The game is not comparable to 1 and 2, but it RE is not that far off either. I'm glad I picked it up. And I did have experience with 3 and RE is just so much better.

It is hard at first even on normal, but I attribute that to not having a lot of moves unlocked at that point in the game.

I like the addition of the skulls and being able to go fight arena style matches when discovering one.

Skilletor

I didn't think normal very difficult at all. Beginning was definitely the worst since it doesn't feel like the game was balanced around starting almost from scratch (you started with your full moveset in vanilla NG3). Gets easier as you go and unlock more stuff.

2MF

I'm getting confused, how many times have they released this game?

I loved NGB (which granted was a sort of re-release too) but I'm not touching this with a 10-foot pole.

Skilletor

I loved NGB (which granted was a sort of re-release too) but I'm not touching this with a 10-foot pole.

Twice, technially, with a 6 month exclusive window for the Wii U version of RE.

Dave1988

Three times so far. Vanilla NG3 for PS3/360, NG3RE for Wii U, and now NG3RE for PS3/360.

theDeeDubs

The demo was really awful. I can't imagine how much more terribleness was contained in the original release.

That's how I feel too. I wanted to give this a chance but what I played just felt sluggish and not as responsive as the NG I remember. It has been a while since I played the other PS3 games so maybe I'm remembering wrong, but even Sigma 1 on the Vita that I played a few weeks prior feels way better.

rvy

Banned
That's how I feel too. I wanted to give this a chance but what I played just felt sluggish and not as responsive as the NG I remember. It has been a while since I played the other PS3 games so maybe I'm remembering wrong, but even Sigma 1 on the Vita that I played a few weeks prior feels way better.

No, you're not remembering wrong.

OmegaZero

Got to try this at a friend's place last night.
I didn't think it was possible, but it felt less responsive then even the Wii U version.
Performance-wise, it's definitely better. At least in the first chapter.

*goes back to playing NGS2+*

Revan

Got to try this at a friend's place last night.
I didn't think it was possible, but it felt less responsive then even the Wii U version.
Performance-wise, it's definitely better. At least in the first chapter.

*goes back to playing NGS2+*

That was my feeling with the demo too....I'm not triple dipping on this at all (unless I find it for like 5 bucks.)

KiNeSiS

Banned
The game is hard because Ryu moves like a tank. The game is slow and unresponsive, relatively speaking.

He moves well, Inoticed on the demo the input lag is grossly exaggerated. Even worse sometimes you hit strong attack & nothing comes out.

Top Bottom