• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge |OT| - Slightly unf*cked, now for PS3/360

KiNeSiS

Banned
Those Alchemist Matrix throwing pricks are so hard I love it!

This is a tough game Itagaki San must be proud of his "Pupil".

Pachinko

Is it just me or is this game hard as fuck? It took me like, 20 tries to beat that spider-tank thing on Normal. It's been years since I played Ninja Gaiden II, but I don't remember the series being this tough. Dark Souls was easier than this.

In their efforts to re-balance the game (because many complained NG3 was too easy) , team ninja may have gone a bit overboard. I finally played some more of this on wii U and I'm totally stonewalled by the alchemist fight in stage 2- they each have more health than ryu does and do more with each hit than he can do to them. Not to mention the iron wall AI- they block or dodge out of every single attack. At least the black spider ninjas in the original game still had a pattern you could learn. I'm extremely tempted to play it on easy because its simply not fun. In 1/2 you could also buy and use potions for harder segments- I've beaten both 1/2 on normal and never felt as frustrated as I do about 3RE.

kaioshade

The alchemist day 2 fight is prob one of the harder fights in the game.

Ayane Day 6 however is straight bullshit. You will Pray for the Alchemists after getting there.

Then again people said vanilla was too easy....

jorgeton

I didn't have trouble with the alchemists. Just keep moving, spam flying swallow and strong attacks.

That first test of valor was tough. Had to skip it. Tried literally 20 times but kept getting killed by
doku
. The camera makes the fight tougher than it already is.

Overall I really like this game so far. It's the Michael bay version of Ninja Gaiden. Loud and dumb, but pretty fun.

Hold Triangle and unleash your savage fury upon the alchemists.

There is always one off-screen that want to send his magic at me .... but hey i'll retry soon .
The fact that i had trouble with this part is one of the reason why i didn't bother with the full game.

kaioshade

Just got this from Amazon

Why did I get this

Tell me it's not crap now

It really is not that bad. it is not Ninja Gaiden Black levels of good. The gme is not the putrid ass people are trying to make it out to be. (I did not play vanilla). The game is competent, and have some decent things to it.

I still stand by Ayane day 6 being complete bullshit though.

OmegaZero

There is always one off-screen that want to send his magic at me .... but hey i'll retry soon .
The fact that i had trouble with this part is one of the reason why i didn't bother with the full game.

Just tank the hits until you can unleash your ninja fury.
Make sure you start charging within range though.

EDIT:
I still stand by Ayane day 6 being complete bullshit though.

What part gave you trouble?

DR2K

Banned
I guess weapons do more damage as well when leveled up. Since bosses seem to be taking more damage. Overall I'm enjoying NG3RE, you just have to man up and deal with it. This is not a game that's going to hold your hand and tell you epic bedtime stories.

Lol no. He wants good gameplay. Perfect execution.

His last game there was a 10fps staircase fight. NG3re borrows a lot from vanilla NG2, except for the busted frame rate and excessive screen tearing, or the shit puzzle solving, or the fights on top of water and in the water, etc...

stn

I was practically a pro at NGB (top ranked back in the day). Yet these hooded dudes who shoot blue bricks are kicking my ass, wowzers. I figured out the trick is to evade and then strike when they are recharging.

This feels like NG but I have a few gripes. Is there no way to center the camera behind you? If no, that's just AWFUL design. Also, the sections where you need to aim your bow at these rocket assholes perched high up is also irritating, since you're getting swarmed on the ground.

Bad design choices.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
lol@ this final boss. I wish I could fucking see something past all the large, bright projectiles literally obscuring your vision. It's just poor design. The actual hitboxes for the projectiles are tiny, but they fill your screen with light.

This game has bosses shittier than DmC's. And that's saying something. The only time I've died is because I needed to figure out a bosses' gimmick.

Mesharey

I was practically a pro at NGB (top ranked back in the day). Yet these hooded dudes who shoot blue bricks are kicking my ass, wowzers. I figured out the trick is to evade and then strike when they are recharging.

This feels like NG but I have a few gripes. Is there no way to center the camera behind you? If no, that's just AWFUL design. Also, the sections where you need to aim your bow at these rocket assholes perched high up is also irritating, since you're getting swarmed on the ground.

Bad design choices.
RB or R1 to center the camera behind you.
You can get a skill for aiming while jumping.

ultim8p00

Banned
I guess weapons do more damage as well when leveled up. Since bosses seem to be taking more damage. Overall I'm enjoying NG3RE, you just have to man up and deal with it. This is not a game that's going to hold your hand and tell you epic bedtime stories.

His last game there was a 10fps staircase fight. NG3re borrows a lot from vanilla NG2, except for the busted frame rate and excessive screen tearing, or the shit puzzle solving, or the fights on top of water and in the water, etc...

This is some bullshit. NG2 had an overall better framerate than NG3. NGII had really bad, sub 30fps in certain spots, however NG3 plays at like 40fps or so pretty much anytime there are multiple enemies on the screen. I don't know where this hyperbolic crap is coming from that NGII was somehow unplayable. It had certain spots where it lagged consistently, you could induce lag by killing re spawning enemies, and some bosses would lag due to excessive fire effects. However, most of these situational issues were fixed through a series of patches (one of them took out the staircase). Anybody that spouts stuff like this is obviously just hating on the game just to hate.

This is what it actually plays like, you know, for those that have actually PLAYED IT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a42ga4m-GIs&list=PL4D09F60D3D8C79F3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwInzVR9D9w&list=PL4D09F60D3D8C79F3

DR2K

Banned
This is some bullshit. NG2 had an overall better framerate than NG3. NGII had really bad, sub 30fps in certain spots, however NG3 plays at like 40fps or so pretty much anytime there are multiple enemies on the screen. I don't know where this hyperbolic crap is coming from that NGII was somehow unplayable. It had certain spots where it lagged consistently, you could induce lag by killing re spawning enemies, and some bosses would lag due to excessive fire effects. However, most of these situational issues were fixed through a series of patches (one of them took out the staircase). Anybody that spouts stuff like this is obviously just hating on the game just to hate.

This is what it actually plays like, you know, for those that have actually PLAYED IT:

Razors Edge is team Ninjas best performing NG to date. None of the issues that plagued any version of NG2.

Robot Pants

A-fucking-Men.
I've been saying this forever. The myth that NG2 had a terrible frame rate is complete bullshit aside from the staircase, and yes, if you respawned a bunch of enemies or ran from encounters.
Nothing compared to NG3 on Hard and above pretty much throughout the whole game. Razors edge might be better, I only played the demo and it seemed like it, but NG2 isn't anywhere near as bad as some people make it out to be.

Aske

Anyone who wants the pre-order costumes and hasn't yet bought the game: the PSN store is bundling them with NG:RE until the 16th.

Just cleared the first test of valor. I played the demo to death so I knew what to expect, but this game is really, really fun. It's obvioulsy not a patch on previous NG games; but after sampling the vanilla NG3, DmC and GoW: Ascention demos, Razor's Edge feels comparatively silken. The game brings back the comfortable familiarity of NG2 that NG3 was sorely missing, and SoB has become a useful and satisfying addition to the combat rather than an annoying gimmick that breaks the flow. Ryu's dash is slightly laggy and the level design is trash, but since the combat is a blast I can live with the compromises.

MCD

Another review just came in, this time from Strategy Informer.

ySmWIcs.jpg

Didn't see this before. Dunno what's more silly, this or her big ass Japanese ribbon outfit from Sigma 2.

I still want her cock though.

fi1ip

I played the demo to death so I knew what to expect

Same here. The game has a lot of flaws but I ended up pre-ordering. I just couldn't resist. Huge NG fan, skipped vanilla.

The game is still not out in Europe so can you please explain to me how the karma transfer from the demo works. You start the first mission in the game with everything you unlocked in the demo?

KiteGr

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 was Censored (in Europe)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 was Censored (everywhere)
I'm not touching this series again, unlees they release a "De-censore patch" for the first 2 games!

I wasted to much money buying games that ended up being censored!

zainetor

Banned
I'm not touching this series again, unlees they release a "De-censore patch" for the first 2 games!

360 is the way of the goreninja.

Time to buy a Vita my friend :3.

Sojgat

How responsive is this game compared to the original release?

I swear vanilla NG3 felt like it was dropping 20% of my inputs.

Pouh

The game is still not out in Europe so can you please explain to me how the karma transfer from the demo works. You start the first mission in the game with everything you unlocked in the demo?
Yes. The game also keeps the amount of Karma from the demo save file.

You can just play the game on an 360 you know.

You can try to UT the alchemists when they are recharging with their fists in the ground. You have 3 different levels of UT(Ultimate Technique) to my knowledge depending on what level your weapon is. Try to jump around and hit them with quick slashes and when they start to recharge, try to jump in fairly close to them and charge with triangle and let them have it. It will take practice, but it works for me normally.

Skilletor

They did release "de-censored" versions. NGB, NG2.

ultim8p00

Banned
Razors Edge is team Ninjas best performing NG to date. None of the issues that plagued any version of NG2.

Lol including black? Gtfo. Clearly you're saying things just to be controversial. Razors Edge is garbage fps wise. It rarely ever "clears up" anymore. It's always hovering at 45 fps.

DR2K

Banned
Lol including black? Gtfo. Clearly you're saying things just to be controversial. Razors Edge is garbage fps wise. It rarely ever "clears up" anymore. It's always hovering at 45 fps.

All I'm saying is performance wise NG3 is Team Ninjas best performing NG to date. No slow down or screen tearing with tons of enemies on screen. I wish more action games could run as buttery smooth.

Top Bottom