• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vandole

1. A library of games that would have once cost me nearly $1,500 for $60!!! This is awesome.

2. A library of games that would have once cost me nearly $1,500 for $60... This is confirmation I'm old.

What kind of port is this? (why not USB?!)
Can more games be added? So many questions.

It's the port from the Wii remote. It's nice that you can use classic controllers with it.

Plus (from an engineering standpoint) USB would have probably meant more QA to ensure that any random ass controller would work, and anything else that plugs in via USB wouldn't fry the system.

Ridley327

Probably already discussed, but the European version only comes with a USB cable for power without a required AC adapter? That's weird.
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Ni...ni-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-1124287.html

US gets an AC adapter in the box. Back to N3DSXL shenanigans...

To be fair...well, I'm not sure fair is the right term to use here, but the proliferation of USB AC adapters is somewhat on the saturated side the world over. I don't think it's that big a deal with or without one.

RowdyReverb

I really, really want this. I had the superior "dog bone" NES controller growing up though, so the nostalgia for the controller isn't quite there for me

Jimrpg

I'm really surprised that everyone wants one. Is it because its officially from Nintendo?? Because they've had third party NES machines for ages. I just went to Japan and almost bought a 3rd party Super Famicom one, and it looked pretty nice too. Plus it also played carts.

I think this machine looks pretty nice, but it doesn't play carts, and it doesn't look like it has wifi to connect to an eshop to buy more games, so its literally a one and done machine.

It does seem like a cheap way to play those 30 games if that's all you are after.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I think this is going to be a nice little cash cow for Nintendo... my mom texted me about it this morning, and she doesn't follow gaming news at all. People are going to buy this as a gift like crazy.

m00biss

Neo Member
Why not just go all the way and release a "Virtual Console" console that just plays everything?

I mean, I'm gonna buy this thing no matter what. But if this is just testing the waters for more "mini" consoles, I say just gimme all of them.

I really hope NPD tracks this, I would think they will. I would be curious to see how it sells compared to the rest of the consoles.. I wouldn't be shocked at all if its the best selling console this holiday.

Roo

Even if you're not interested in the games, owning this piece of hardware would be worth it alone due to nostalgia.

I'll probably get one just for that.

Edit: just noticed, no Duck Hunt? Shame!

JLynn

Yes. Its bizarre why people feel like this is a new thing. Surprised Nintendo hasn't entered this space before though.

Personally I think the number of NES games that hold up today can be counted on one hand so I'm not interested. If there was a SNES product like this though I'd be in for day 1.

Well, when Iwata was in charge, he would rather people buy a full fledged console like the Wii to play the older titles on a modern TV. This is Kimishima. He don't care at all. You'd be surprised how many NES games still held up to this day. And I don't mean the popular franchises from Nintendo or the third parties.

Koren

To be fair...well, I'm not sure fair is the right term to use here, but the proliferation of USB AC adapters is somewhat on the saturated side the world over. I don't think it's that big a deal with or without one.
I'd say that most of them are bad, though, so I would expect problems (just look at how many RasPi issues are coming from a bad USB AC adapter) and I would have expected that Nintendo would want to avoid this.

On the other hand, I'm wondering whether it can be powered by the TV set USB ports, which would be quite nice.

(I hope we'll get power over HDMI for this kind of stuff, that would really be welcome)

Occam

It's the port from the Wii remote. It's nice that you can use classic controllers with it.

Plus (from an engineering standpoint) USB would have probably meant more QA to ensure that any random ass controller would work, and anything else that plugs in via USB wouldn't fry the system.

Thanks.

I wonder if it has a scanline feature (somehow I doubt it).

Probably already discussed, but the European version only comes with a USB cable for power without a required AC adapter? That's weird.
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Ni...ni-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-1124287.html

US gets an AC adapter in the box. Back to N3DSXL shenanigans...

If they included a plug they'd have to have several different packages for different countries, this way they can just supply one to the whole of Europe and who doesn't have at least half a dozen usb power plugs at home already

Even if you're not interested in the games, owning this piece of hardware would be worth it alone due to nostalgia.

I'll probably get one just for that.

It will be a huge conversation piece sitting on your entertainment stand or whatever. Random family member not into gaming comes over: What is that?
You: Oh its a new NES with some old games on it.
Random person: Oh neat, I bet X would like that. How much is it?
You: $60
Random person: Runs out to get one for a gift.

Quonny

Cool idea, but once again Nintendo is catering to their audience instead of broadening it. As the years pass it becomes clearer and clearer that I'll never be a Nintendo fan again.

I know people want this though, so this is good for them.

Bluth54

This is an amazing idea and very cool to see Nintendo doing on of these retro console collections. It's kinda stupid they aren't putting in a WiFi chip and letting people download more games from the eshop though.

Pinky

Banned
My favorite system of all time is getting a rerelease with 30 games built in for $59.99???

DAY FUCKING 1!!!!!

Cool idea, but once again Nintendo is catering to their audience instead of broadening it. As the years pass it becomes clearer and clearer that I'll never be a Nintendo fan again.

I know people want this though, so this is good for them.

I assure you Nintendo did not create this device to broaden their audience. I'm sure they're counting on the NX to handle that. The NES Mini looks like it was created purely for the fans. If it grabs the attention of non fans, then that's just icing on the cake. :)

GrayDock

When will be the pre-oreders go live?????????

And I can see this become a trend, with the NES Mini² with MegaMan 3, Ninja Gaiden 2, Battletoads and so on.

And the SNES Mini with Square clasics will crash the interwebs.

As a side effect I can see some of those games lowering it's price in e-bay in the foreseable future... Good.

oti

Banned
It will be a huge conversation piece sitting on your entertainment stand or whatever. Random family member not into gaming comes over: What is that?
You: Oh its a new NES with some old games on it.
Random person: Oh neat, I bet X would like that. How much is it?
You: $60
Random person: Runs out to get one for a gift.

I don't know about NES but I can definitely see this happening with SNES mini.

StereoVsn

Own one and the emulation is great & the wireless controllers feel fantastic. The issue is, the sound chip is horrible and everything sounds tinny. But the fact you can play Genesis Carts makes it a good value, but you might be able to find an official Genesis for a cheaper price with good sound.

I didn't mind it much, but the poor sound quality is a bit distracting.
Sound is only mono which ruins this. Plus it's not hdmi or even component so this will look terrible on many TVs.

I would just like to say that I love the inclusion of StarTropics on this. While I wish both games were there (the second in place of Balloon Fight), I am shocked that Nintendo has been showing the attention to this series that they have lately. For a decade or more, Nintendo forgot the series existed. Eventually, it got a Wii VC release, then disappeared again. Now, in the last month, both games popped up on Wii U VC, and we have confirmation that it will be included on this new system. Is Nintendo priming StarTropics for a comeback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom