• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might end up getting this. I want to play enough NES games by next year's Games of the Generation Voting thread so I can vote in it, not to mention I never played the majority of games that's included in this.

Is the Punch-Out in this different from Mike Tyson's Punch-Out?

The last boss is a white guy instead of a black guy. That's the only difference.

Now you're playing with Power

I really hope Nintendo steps up their game with the build quality. I'll probably get 2, one as is, and another to shove in a raspberry pi.

I'm glad they were able to get third party titles like FF, MM2, and Castlevania.

Could use some Tetris and Rescue Rangers.

Quonny

What a leap!

I don't see how this isn't broadening their audience by providing a cheap introduction to Nintendo's classic library on NES, without having to own another one of their systems, at an affordable price. Lots of people, including non-Nintendo fans and even non-gamers in general, have a great introduction to Nintendo here.[/SPOILER]

Who is going to buy this? That's not a "no one is going to buy this" snark in disguise, it's a question.

Nostalgic Nintendo fans. Nostaglic Nintendo parents for their kids. That is it. Kids aren't going to ask for it. Teens aren't going to ask for it or buy it. Young adults aren't going to buy it. None of these people give two flips about classic NES games. It's all about Minecraft, League of Legends, current generation games, and mobile games. I work with children. Not a single one will care about this.

This is squarely marketed at nostalgic Nintendo fans. And that's fine. This seems really cool. But let's not kid ourselves.

This is so interesting considering the virtual console and its prices... Are they cannibalizing the NES Virtual Console market? I guess it's still good for one-offs and more niche NES games.

We can only hope this means Nintendo finally realizes that Urban Champion isn't worth $5 and they're reworking VC pricing for the NX. Having said that, this whole thing reeks of Nintendo going "Fuck, we don't have anything for the holidays. Deploy the mini consoles!"

This thing is pretty jolly. Will be even cooler once people find out how to hack in more games!

Only real big NES Classic that's missing seems to be Duck Hunt, but I mean that makes sense.

Flintty

Looks great, I've been keeping an eye on Ebay for an original NES (I wish I still had mine) but this might scratch the itch. No 'Low G Man' though :(

KingBroly

Banned
Now you're playing with Power

I really hope Nintendo steps up their game with the build quality. I'll probably get 2, one as is, and another to shove in a raspberry pi.

I'm glad they were able to get third party titles like FF, MM2, and Castlevania.

Could use some Tetris and Rescue Rangers.

I'd love some Retro style commercials for this, honestly.

I wish you could connect for the internet for more games, but I guess they want to make that exclusive to their true eco-system.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Now that I think of it, the lack of wireless controllers is a huge bummer. Sure, I have a Wiimote to plug it into, but it's an unnecessary hindrance. Not to mention all of the people that don't have them laying around (30 somethings that haven't played since the 90s).

I'd love some Retro style commercials for this, honestly.

I wish you could connect for the internet for more games, but I guess they want to make that exclusive to their true eco-system.

They need to find those two nerdy kids from the Zelda commercial and have them perform a new rap.

Gartooth

NES was too much before my time that I only really love a few of the games like classic Mario and Mega Man. I'll pass on this, but I hope it sells well enough for a SNES edition since I wouldn't even need to think before buying that.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
There's no way this is a product for Nintendo's existing "core" audience that already has a 3DS or a Wii U. This goes along with Pokemon Company-esque spreading of IP awareness, pushing to get the brand out there with iconic materials everyone has heard of in mainstream culture.

It's a "real" Nintendo console that plays all the solid introductions to traditional video gaming; perhaps more importantly, divorced of the Wii branding entirely by not being virtual console releases. It is cheap enough to be an impulse buy for christmas.

Metalmarc

I never owned a Nes, but I had a Master System parents could only afford one at the time, tho my sister had a NES later on, but at that point I had a mega drive so I wasn't interested and then she swapped it for a game boy.

nows my chance to own a NES type of product that is new and has the nostalgic feels, and im not interested in buying a Second hand machine, because if I started go collect second hand NES games I wouldn't stop. I dont have the space.

Totally buying this for Balloon Fight, Excitebike, Mario 2 and Mega Man 2. Not buying the controller though, if it were the dogbone I'd have done so but I have no desire to ruin my hands on those corners again.

Anth0ny

There's no way this is a product for Nintendo's existing "core" audience that already has a 3DS or a Wii U. This goes along with Pokemon Company-esque spreading of IP awareness, pushing to get the brand out there with iconic materials everyone has heard of in mainstream culture.

It's a "real" Nintendo console that plays all the solid introductions to traditional video gaming; perhaps more importantly, divorced of the Wii branding entirely by not being virtual console releases. It is cheap enough to be an impulse buy for christmas.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they made more money this holiday off this than Wii U hardware and software combined.

qko

Aren't there Raspberry Pi cases that look like an NES? Not sure what the appeal here is beyond it being licensed.

Regardless if I come to my senses, I will be buying those controllers. I've bought all these games with the exception of 2-3 on this list.

Something in me still wants it though.

Yazan

This is an even worse idea than the Wii U name.

"This Christmas, the New NES will allow you to play all the newest Nintendo games..."

"Eh, I already bought the new NES last year."

No, I firmly believe that they should go back to the name Nintendo Entertainment System.

Nothing different than Apple going back to only iPhone or iPad after a couple of years.

I am also concerned about them producing enough units. They have shown in the past a kind of ignorance about how popular classic or retro products can be.

People at work who hate videogames were talking about this thing today and wanting to buy it at Christmas. It has real potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom