• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest shock is Final Fantasy over Dragon Warrior, considering how Nintendo once gave away Dragon Warrior with Nintendo Power subscriptions and they really pushed that game on NES.

test_account

XP-39C²
2DS is 80 bucks now and that has two backlit screens and pretty capable 3D hardware. It's absolutely no stretch for them to make a backlit 8-bit system for under $60.
2DS actually has one screen. Its just a small layer of plastic covering it, making it look like two screens.

EDIT: That said, i also think that they should be able to make a Gameboy like system for a cheap price today.

In regards to game series that are, it's probably because of licensing issues or they weren't super popular in the US. I wouldn't expect any future classic consoles to have titles that haven't been on the Virtual Console at one point. I would also guess that a potential SNES mini to have more enthusiast titles.

cireza

Cucurbitacée;210053334 said:
WPhXbkM.jpg
You probably can't be more wrong.

NES and Genesis are fine consoles to introduce a kid to gaming, like it or not.

I know lots of people have already made lists but going off of Virtual Console, here are some of the games that would be likely for a SNES/N64 mini:

SNES
ActRaiser
Chrono Trigger
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
Earthbound
Final Fantasy III (VI)
Final Fight
F-Zero
Kirby Super Star
Mega Man X
Pilotwings
Secret of Mana
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

N64
Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
Mario Kart 64
Donkey Kong 64
Paper Mario
Mario Tennis
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Sin and Punishment
1080o Snowboarding
Mario Golf
Yoshi’s Story
Wave Race 64
Star Fox 64
Mario Party 2
Pokemon Snap
Super Smash Bros.

You probably can't be more wrong.

NES and Genesis are fine consoles to introduce a kid to gaming, like it or not.
Relax, this was intended as a joke. Furthermore, there is no absolute truth here.
A quick personal example: I have two brothers that are 18 and 20 years younger than me. When they first became able to play by themselves I gave one a Mega Drive and the other a Super Nintendo.
They had a lot of fun for some times, but soon enough, they wanted the same consoles as their friends. Because you can't ignore the social factor around video game, no matter the hardware or software.

Z3M0G

Those controller cables better be LOOOOOONG...

People might be in for a shock when they realize they can't reach their sofa while the unit sits next to their TV.

It's nice that the cost is so low, but imagine how sick this would be with wireless NES controllers...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
This comic, combined with my mom and dad being a hippie and a ready hard ass biker and car guy and me being nothing like them, has prepared me to expect my son to be nothing like me at all. He's gonna hate this stuff.

He will hate videogames ? Good luck with that...xD

He will hate videogames ? Good luck with that...xD

I'm operating under the expectation that he will hate videogames or be completely uninterested by them. I have a sizable game collection, it's my favorite hobby (just above playing music), and I'm a video game developer as my profession. My life is pretty consumed by games.

Because it would make too much sense for us to be able to bond over that and because i'm nothing like my dad, I'm expecting he'll hate them and be really into sports or interpretive dance or something.

diaspora

pikablu

They really shoulda got Dragon Warrior on this as well and River City Ransom.

But the lineup is pretty good. Also I'm curious why no castlevania 3 but 2 which is way worse. I wonder if it would even run?

Anyways I'm really interested in this because I'm huge into collecting for NES. It would be cool if they do a second one of these systems and have it look like the NES model 2.

JRBechard

There's a Nintendo of Canada, but I don't think I've heard of a"Nintendo Quebec".

Ya it's weird, but that's what they said in the interview. Wouldn't be surprised if it's someone doing freelance PR for Nintendo Canada in Quebec or something so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Zombine

Banned
I've noticed that there are adult gamers that do the exact same thing that their parents did to them with sports or music or whatever.

The healthiest option is to provide your child with the resources so that they can decide what they like or dislike. Introduce sports, gaming, whatever, organically and encourage them to explore whatever resonates with them.

Don't force your kid to play NES or watch Star Wars, have it on around them and see how they react.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
How would building a raspberry pi machine compare? Im sll in day 1 but heard i can just make the retropi and have sll emulators and more games.

Stil its great that nintedo put out an official mini console. Really want to get this it for some for xmas

I don't think you can be "pixel perfect" on a LCD screen. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what "pixel perfect" means. Is possible this is about width and height ratio?
Anyway, the CRT effect will please a lot of people! To be even more nostalgic, it would need an ugly RF picture simulator.

Do people realize that other products that are not Nintendo, do not include AC adapters? Usually a USB cable is all you get now. With some Sony cameras, all you get is a USB cable. Even some Bluetooth speakers with rechargeable batteries don't include them.

And we get the adapter in the US, it's right in the OP...

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
This is such a cool thing, and the perfect gift for any Nintendo fan during the holiday season.

There's a Nintendo of Canada, but I don't think I've heard of a"Nintendo Quebec".
Like, there wouldn't be entire divisions for a province, that's crazy.

It's probably easier to call it Nintendo Quebec then "Nintendo Canada Français" She (Julie Gagnon) officially work for Nintendo Canada https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYmOIWd3pLE

It's around 80 CAD and 13 CAD for the extra controller.

Other stuff mentioned on top of the pixel mode, save like on the Virtual Console (probably mentioned already)

If this is actually being made by Nintendo and not licensed out (and it looks like it is) I am 100% on board. A plug and play style machine with Nintendo-level quality sounds awesome.

Fritz

I know lots of people have already made lists but going off of Virtual Console, here are some of the games that would be likely for a SNES/N64 mini:

SNES
ActRaiser
Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong Country
Earthbound
Final Fantasy III (VI)
Final Fight
F-Zero
Kirby Super Star
Mega Man X
Pilotwings
Secret of Mana
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Super Metroid

N64
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Donkey Kong 64
Paper Mario
Mario Tennis
Sin and Punishment
1080o Snowboarding
Mario Golf
Yoshi’s Story
Wave Race 64
Star Fox 64
Mario Party 2
Pokemon Snap
Super Smash Bros.

Oh god yes please.

Drazgul

So where can I order the version with the entire NES library? Clearly not an issue of storage space since the roms are so tiny.

SNES
ActRaiser
Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong Country
Earthbound
Final Fantasy III (VI)
Final Fight
F-Zero
Kirby Super Star
Mega Man X
Pilotwings
Secret of Mana
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Super Metroid

N64
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Donkey Kong 64
Paper Mario
Mario Tennis
Sin and Punishment
1080o Snowboarding
Mario Golf
Yoshi’s Story
Wave Race 64
Star Fox 64
Mario Party 2
Pokemon Snap
Super Smash Bros.

I'm ok with this. Would buy both

hah. it would work all right. you can block the upper square thinghy that's really just a safety block for the outlet and the standard euro plug would both fit AND work.

And I'm sure nintendo wants to risk legal action because little jimmy burnt his house down trying to plug in the european plug they supplied

Eradicate

Really interested to see the classic controller.

Actually, that got me thinking. It would really be awesome, at least this holiday season, to be able to have demo units around to check out the system, the OS, and get a feel for the controller.

It probably won't happen, but it would be nice and probably pique a lot of people's interest! "Hey, look at this, the graphics are so retro!" Heck, have two controllers available and just let the demo be some of the great two players games so people can see how fun it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom