• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Fex

That's a damn good list of games.

Pac-Man confuses me, it's an ok port but I'm not sure worth including, galaga too?

I'm one of the folks who say that the list is terribly incomplete without either Dragon Quest 1 or 3, though.

Those games were some of the most important video games in the history of the medium. Any real "classic collection" of games needs to include at least one of them.

Pac-Man confuses me, it's an ok port but I'm not sure worth including, galaga too?

They're big names from the early 80's. Having them as a part of this console seems pretty smart to me.

I'm one of the folks who say that the list is terribly incomplete without either Dragon Quest 1 or 3, though.

Those games were some of the most important video games in the history of the medium. Any real "classic collection" of games needs to include at least one of them.

They weren't very important outside of Japan though, especially when viewed through the lens of nostalgia.

Speaking of which, I wonder if a Famicom version is coming to Japan. Surely it would include some Dragon Quest games.

I would have liked to see Ms Pac Man over Pac Man, but Ms Pac Man I played more in the arcade, and Pac Man I played more on NES, so it's cool :D

I see this as amiibo. I don't care about the functionality, but they're neat, Nintendo-made trinkets.

Here's a little Nintendo box with some games to fuel nostalgia.

For just over the cost of a new game (in the UK)? I'm in.

Bring on mini SNES and mini N64.

My gaming life started with the NES.
I still remember when I was a kid and watched my dad come home with my first NES. I was so happy.
And now it all comes full circle, I'm about to buy the NES again!

I'm literally more excited about this console than Neo/Scorpio.

To really go full circle, you need to buy your dad a NES, just like I do :p

odhiex

It's a good move by Nintendo, although I wish it could do more TBH. 30 NES classic titles are barely enough to scratch my itch playing some NES games again.

There is so many good Disney's games, konami and capcom games, WB and the looney tunes, etc. (someone will likely hack this I'm sure)

NES is the console of my childhood, it was my first tv gaming experience.

There is so many good Disney's games, konami and capcom games, WB and the looney tunes, etc. (someone will likely hack this I'm sure).

It's easier to just put in the games you directly handled and singular third party efforts that don't involve licensed IP. Possibly down the line the copyright holders will allow those games to be sold in this way.

Red Devil

There is so many good Disney's games, konami and capcom games, WB and the looney tunes, etc. (someone will likely hack this I'm sure)

There could be some licensing issues, or else a TMNT game(except the first one) would've been cool and others probably the IP owner didn't want to like Bomberman...

It's a nostalgia-driven product explicitly designed for wide appeal to even the most casual of players and you're wondering why Pac-Man, one of the most popular games of all time is included? :p

Galaga was huge too.

v1oz

20 years ago you could buy cheap pirate consoles from China with hundreds of NES games built in. I'm sure you can still pick up such consoles at flea markets and on eBay. I'm not encouraging piracy I'm just saying they've been things like this before.

I also hope that it is a full hardware clone of the original and not a software emulation like the Neo Geo X console was. Their Super Gameboy and their Gameboy players included the original hardware. But Personally I would have more interested if this was a SNES or N64 with HDMI instead.

20 years ago you could buy cheap pirate consoles from China with hundreds of NES games built in. I'm sure you can still pick up such consoles at flea markets and on eBay. I'm not encouraging piracy I'm just saying they've been things like this before.

I also hope that it is a full hardware clone of the original and not a software emulation like the Neo Geo X console was. Their Super Gameboy and their Gameboy players included the original hardware. But Personally I would have more interested if this was a SNES or N64 with HDMI instead.

I can tell you right now that there's absolutely no chance it's a hardware clone. There's not going to be even the tiniest scrap of NES/NES-like hardware in this thing - even the controller ports are Wii Remote extension ports.

Odds are it's a derivative of recent Nintendo hardware. Either a multi-core ARM11 device based on the 3DS or a PowerPC device based on modified Wii hardware, running a customized and enhanced version of Nintendo's current emulators. My money is on it being Wii-based.

I'm kinda pissed that you can't get Virtual Console games this cheap. Why is this a better deal than the games they emulate on their $250 console?

I'm kinda pissed that you can't get Virtual Console games this cheap. Why is this a better deal than the games they emulate on their $250 console?

I mean, no matter what you're talking about, buying in bulk is usually cheaper.

I think NES games on the VC are overpriced, but I'm not sure why you'd think a device like this wouldn't work out to be cheaper per game though.

I can tell you right now that there's absolutely no chance it's a hardware clone. There's not going to be even the tiniest scrap of NES/NES-like hardware in this thing - even the controller ports are Wii Remote extension ports.

Odds are it's a derivative of recent Nintendo hardware. Either a multi-core ARM11 device based on the 3DS or a PowerPC device based on modified Wii hardware, running a customized and enhanced version of Nintendo's current emulators. My money is on it being Wii-based.

I'd imagine it'd be 3ds based, easier to get HD resolutions from than wii hardware

Majukun

seems way to pricey since the hardware at this point should cost very,very little..but i might actually buy this or a future iteration as the first console for my little nephew when he will have the right age,he deserves to play some of those masterpieces

IbukiLordSA

Placed my order this morning, can't wait to pick this up in a few months. My son is almost at an age where I can introduce him to gaming, what better way than to do it with the games I grew up on.

I mean, no matter what you're talking about, buying in bulk is usually cheaper.

I think NES games on the VC are overpriced, but I'm not sure why you'd think a device like this wouldn't work out to be cheaper per game though.

I mean, you're right, and there's no way they could charge $150 for 30 games. I'm just expressing dissatisfaction that I bought their $250 main console and get a worse deal on emulated titles. Personally, I already own half of these games on carts anyway.

GCX

seems way to pricey since the hardware at this point should cost very,very little..but i might actually buy this or a future iteration as the first console for my little nephew when he will have the right age,he deserves to play some of those masterpieces
Sure the console probably costs next to nothing to manufacture but you gotta give some value to 30 classic games that come with it. I mean you yourself just called them masterpieces.

Thats what I thought, it will be a Wii running NES game with an HDMI-Port...

I've been saying this before, if you have a young kid you want to get into gaming, the NES is a great way too do it. 2 buttons and directions is all you need.

My daughter started on my restored nes when she was 3 after watching be play Kirby.

G-Fex

It's a nostalgia-driven product explicitly designed for wide appeal to even the most casual of players and you're wondering why Pac-Man, one of the most popular games of all time is included? :p

Galaga was huge too.

TBH a ton of the 'retro consoles' including the pac-man shaped joystick plug and play thing already includes galaga and pac-man.

They're good and all.

Least it's not pac-land, the worst port of it on the NES.

No Tetris but Dr. Mario makes up for it.

Please someone tell me the power/reset buttons are functional and the red light next to the power button turns on when power is pressed in.

Also that it is a light behind a clear plastic like the og NES and not an led. It may seem weird but there was always something very cool and retro to me about the way the light looked.

Xater

The game selection is pretty good. There really isn't much it's missing for me personally. I would have also liked:

- more Mega Man but that is probably asking too much.
- Bionic Comando
- Contra
- Castlevnia 3
- Blades of Steel
- Ducktales and Chip'n Dale (clearly not possible because of licenses)
- Tetris (probably also licenses because of how the Tetris company handles this stuff)

Please someone tell me the power/reset buttons are functional and the red light next to the power button turns on when power is pressed in.

Also that it is a light behind a clear plastic like the og NES and not an led. It may seem weird but there was always something very cool and retro to me about the way the light looked.

If you look at the different pictures on the official website, you can see the red led on and off, depending of the picture. And for the POWER and RESET, why would they not be functional? You need a power button anyway, and if reset function is not used as is, it could be used for the emulator menu.

In Europe. They'd have to include a different adapter for each country. Other tech products also leave them out and just deliver the cable, not just Nintendo. I have propably 15 of these adapters and cables at home.

That's not exactly true. EuroPlug (Type C) works in most european countries today:

640px-Euro-Flachstecker_2.jpg

Anyway not a big deal, i have a powered USB Hub, i will simply connect the usb cable to that...

zelas

This thing seems more aimed at older gamers who have been out of gaming for decades. Not much use to anyone who had access to a 7/8th gen nintendo handheld or console. Pacman and Galaga make perfect sense.

I'm a Ms Pacman guy though.

This is up on Amazon already, just not live right? Anyone have a link?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. What about extra controllers though? I haven't found that on Amazon yet.

cireza

Placed my order this morning, can't wait to pick this up in a few months. My son is almost at an age where I can introduce him to gaming, what better way than to do it with the games I grew up on.
Will introduce mine to video-games the same way. Except I still have my NES and games, and a CRT TV.

Cucurbitacée;210053334 said:

This comic, combined with my mom and dad being a hippie and a ready hard ass biker and car guy and me being nothing like them, has prepared me to expect my son to be nothing like me at all. He's gonna hate this stuff.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
How would they do that though? A TV is a TV, but making Game Boy screens in the 2010s is unrealistic

I wish it were possible though.
2DS is 80 bucks now and that has two backlit screens and pretty capable 3D hardware. It's absolutely no stretch for them to make a backlit 8-bit system for under $60.

I think they both have huge mindshare amongst in general, and casual players aren't necessarily aware (or even care) that they might not be the best ports. My non-gaming sister told my dad about the system and he wants one based on it having Galaga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom