• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that there are adult gamers that do the exact same thing that their parents did to them with sports or music or whatever.

The healthiest option is to provide your child with the resources so that they can decide what they like or dislike. Introduce sports, gaming, whatever, organically and encourage them to explore whatever resonates with them.

Don't force your kid to play NES or watch Star Wars, have it on around them and see how they react.

If my nephew doesn't like tiny Nintendo he can fuck off and die.

Eradicate

German-GAF can pre-order it here btw:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01IFJEWTM/

It certainly was harder to find than it should've been. When you search "Nintendo Classic Mini" you'll mostly find those Game Boy shaped Game & Watch keychain thingies. Many of them, actually.

810-ybqGWbL._SL1500_.jpg

I really, really want to read the bottom of that box! I just know it explains the asterisk beside "pre-installed" on the cover!
I don't know that.

Eradicate

Cucurbitacée;210064362 said:
My bet is:
*No, you cannot add more games, stop dreaming!

LOL!!! You're probably right!

"Now you're playing with power...but only the initial power we allow you to have and no more!"

Cucurbitacée;210053334 said:

There is a difference between forcing your kids into something, and introducing them to something and seeing if they like it.

I actually told my daughter to not touch my restored NES because I didn't want her to break it, but she watched me a ton and one day she asked if she could play and I let her. Now the NES is the second most played thing for her.

Hardware is Raspberry ?

Definitely not. This is an official licensed Nintendo product, not some random person on Craigslist.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
This is what I always pictured when people used to say they bought DS/3DS's to give away as gifts.

There's a difference between "forcing" a child to like something you like (as the comic portrays) and introducing a child to something they potentially wouldn't have known about otherwise.

For what it's worth I bought a friend's nephew a translucent 2DS with New Super Mario Bros 2., Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins and Mario Kart 7 a few years back and he loved the thing.

Pinky

Banned
Super C is a great game, but the original Contra is one of the staples of the NES. It's really unfortunate that it's not included here. I wonder what the deal is with Konami and that game. It hasn't been released on the VC in North America for Wii, 3DS, or Wii U and it's not a part of this package. Really odd.

Yeah, I never understood this. I even made a thread about it back in February, but the question was never really answered.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1189409

I'm one of the folks who say that the list is terribly incomplete without either Dragon Quest 1 or 3, though.

no dragon warrior :(

They really shoulda got Dragon Warrior on this as well and River City Ransom.

Heh, I'm with you guys. I was thinking about it this morning while I was getting ready for work. I was like "Man! To have the first Final Fantasy AND the first Dragon Warrior on this thing would be amazing!" It is what it is. Truth be told, everyone will be letdown in some way. The NES had a lot of great games and, well, when selecting 30 titles from a catalog of 700+, it would be impossible to compose a dream collection that would unanimously please everyone. Having said that, the 30 titles included with the NES Mini is a very good selection of games that should satisfy everyone to some degree. :)

So this is a pretty cool idea I just find the amount of games pretty lacking. Have they mentioned any plans or is it even possible for them to add an existing one in the future?

So this is a pretty cool idea I just find the amount of games pretty lacking. Have they mentioned any plans or is it even possible for them to add an existing one in the future?

Nope, can't expand it and it doesn't read carts. More likely than not, this is going to be a series if the first one sells well. I'd expect 2-3 (the realistic amount of games they'll be able to get the rights to and run well) and then maybe go into SNES from there.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Heh, I'm with you guys. I was thinking about it this morning while I was getting ready for work. I was like "Man! To have the first Final Fantasy AND the first Dragon Warrior on this thing would be amazing!" It is what it is. Truth be told, everyone will be letdown in some way. The NES had a lot of great games and, well, when selecting 30 titles from a catalog of 700+, it would be impossible to compose a dream collection that would unanimously please everyone. Having said that, the 30 titles included with the NES Mini is a very good selection of games that should satisfy everyone to some degree. :)

The inclusion of Mega Man 2 and Double Dragon 2 (and not the first games in these series) shows that whoever put this list together knew what they were doing.

Eradicate

Nope, can't expand it and it doesn't read carts. More likely than not, this is going to be a series if the first one sells well. I'd expect 2-3 (the realistic amount of games they'll be able to get the rights to and run well) and then maybe go into SNES from there.

I could see this as well!

Version 2 could be the top loader, and Version 3 the Famicom!

(Going ahead and releasing the SNES one at the same time as Version 2, of course! I want that ASAP too!)

The inclusion of Castlevania II: Simon's Quest shows that this person drinks during work hours.

Simon's Quest is not only a classic, but an underated one as well. They knew what they were doing.

Though hopefully they'll include some nice physical NES style instruction booklets in the box as well...

I am excited to see the UI when this boots up. I hope they go the extra mile like Rare did with Rare Replay.

Should be interesting one way or the other... If it's a hardware clone, then the menu is going to be very limited... If it's just emulated the menu could be a lot more robust and maybe have software manuals/walkthroughs.

Castlevania II doesn't deserve the hate it gets. It has some of the best music in the series and day/night mechanic is actually pretty cool (at the time mind-blowing). It is really obtuse and combat is clunky but it's still pretty fun.

kunonabi

Simon's Quest is not only a classic, but an underated one as well. They knew what they were doing.

Though hopefully they'll include some nice physical NES style instruction booklets in the box as well...

Should be interesting one way or the other... If it's a hardware clone, then the menu is going to be very limited... If it's just emulated the menu could be a lot more robust and maybe have software manuals/walkthroughs.

It still isn't better than CVIII though which is the best Castlevania game ever made.

Castlevania II doesn't deserve the hate it gets. It has some of the best music in the series and day/night mechanic is actually pretty cool (at the time mind-blowing). It is really obtuse and combat is clunky but it's still pretty fun.

It was the original "Metroidvania" Castlevania, even if it had issues, it definitely laid the groundwork.

It still isn't better than CVIII though which is the best Castlevania game ever made.

CVIII used an advanced mapper (think like the SNES special chips) which could be complicating things... but more likely, it's simply being held back in case this first mini does well.

(edit) Looking at this list again... StarTropics, Bubble Bobble, Gradius, and Zelda 2... It's like my B-team game dream on top of the great A games on there.

Kuraudo

Banned
Maybe it's just me, but I would replace FF1 with Rad Racer any day; I can play better versions of FF1 anywhere.

But isn't that true for pretty much every game in this collection?

I don't think people are buying this for the best versions of anything so much as for faux-authenticity. There's something masochistic about playing the first FF as it was when it released, but also something that feels pure about it too.

Definitely not. This is an official licensed Nintendo product, not some random person on Craigslist.

You mean made by Nintendo themselves. (Though Nintendo did sublicense the third-party games for inclusion.)

Doubt they'll print anything but the bare minimum. There might even be digital manuals on the device itself, esp. if it's based on Wii/2DS hardware.

Speaking of which, hoe are you supposed to access Save States and all that? The Reset button on the front of the unit? That seems inconvenient. Maybe there's a secret Home button on the back of the NES Classic Controller?

New002

But isn't that true for pretty much every game in this collection?

I don't think people are buying this for the best versions of anything so much as for faux-authenticity. There's something masochistic about playing the first FF as it was when it released, but also something that feels pure about it too.

What what I liked the first FF on my NES :(

>_____>

inner-G

Banned
Maybe it's just me, but I would replace FF1 with Rad Racer any day; I can play better versions of FF1 anywhere.
It needs to have an RPG and FF1 is probably the most iconic on the system. The music is still great today and a lot of folks have nostalgia for it (The players guide shipped as Nintendo Power was really taking off) DQ1 could arguably be there instead, but it's hard to go back to the NES version.

NolbertoS

Just realized that neither Paper Boy, Kid Niki, Metal Gear 1 and 2, Faxanadu, Star Tropics 2, Ikari Warriors, Wizards and Warriors 1,2 and 3 are there :(. Hope Nintendo adds more third parties in the Mini 2.

Pinky

Banned

I'd like for them to include an updated version of this:

latest

One guide covering all 30 games. Maintain the original design and layout of the original book for nostalgia/retro purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom