• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Shitty half assed version of what they should have released. I mean does it honestly use wired controllers? Give me a fucking break. I mean it's cute but there's no reason they couldn't have done a Virtual Console streaming stick with internal storage that runs all the old games and also works with NNID. It should have just come with a voucher for the eShop with some credit, I don't want to rebuy games I already own on VC and I already own most of the games on that list and the ones I don't I give zero fucks about. It'll make a great holiday gift though!

That would render the sale of individual VC titles useless and unprofitable.

This console (if we can even call it that in the traditional sense) isn't meant for enthusiasts. It's for everyone else. It gives you the bare bones essential to relive/rediscover what made the NES great. And if you like what you played, you're encouraged to pick up a Wii or Wii U for more.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
This is outta nowhere. I was about to purchase a cheap clone console too.

I'm conflicted. Hopefully Nintendo releases more info soon before release. I guess I'm okay with it being a glorified emulator box but I'm wary of performance issues.

I'm ecstatic for more mini consoles like this.

That would render the sale of individual VC titles useless and unprofitable.

This console (if we can even call it that in the traditional sense) isn't meant for enthusiasts. It's for everyone else. It gives you the bare bones essential to relive/rediscover what made the NES great. And if you like what you played, you're encouraged to pick up a Wii or Wii U for more.

Exactly its more like "remember all those old games, or would you like to know what your Dad played when he was young? Want to see where Mario comes from? Easy, just buy the console that looks like the console your father stores in his attic and hook it up to your modern TV and relieve or make new memories" The casuals dont want complex stuff to hook up to their TV, it has to be easy, and thats what it is. Its 60 $ you dont need to spend....but if you want to its a great deal

kyser73

This will be the equivalent of a previously hip parent playing their kids their record collections and the kids have a look saying 'OK, thanks Dad' before walking off to play an endless running game on their iPad.

I might get one tho - being from the UK I didn't do the NES, and for AUD$100 it might be worth picking up.

This will be the equivalent of a previously hip parent playing their kids their record collections and the kids have a look saying 'OK, thanks Dad' before walking off to play an endless running game on their iPad.

I might get one tho - being from the UK I didn't do the NES, and for AUD$100 it might be worth picking up.

Kids are nowhere near as anti-retro-gaming as you think. Think about what's popular on YouTube...it's not only old fogeys watching Angry Video Game Nerd.

AgeEighty

Don't need it, still want it, especially when I imagine it sitting atop my full-size original. The controllers look to be a steal at $10, too.

Out of curiosity, has anyone made a USB adaptor for the Wii remote accessory port that these controllers will use?

EDIT: Never mind, I see that Mayflash has done so. So in effect these can also function as first party USB NES controllers.

iphys

I can't wait to pre-order. I feel like it's going to be so hard to get one with how crazy popular it's going to be with the masses and all the evil grinches that refuse to find a useful way to contribute to society that will try to buy them all to scalp them.

xclaw

This thing will sell boatloads..... especially since Nintendo actually talked about it. Unlike all the other shady plug n play devices.

That controller compatibility just seals the deal for me!

Sealtest

This would be awesome for long car trips.

I'd have to buy an HDMI to RCA cable or adapter but it's better then hauling my nes and games.

if this is successful I hope they consider doing the same for the OG gameboy.

How would they do that though? A TV is a TV, but making Game Boy screens in the 2010s is unrealistic and if it's to play the games blown up on a TV, I don't think Nintendo would find that to be an experience that meets their current quality standards.

I wish it were possible though.

xrnzaaas

The price seems acceptable as long as you're ok with the fact that you won't be able to play more than 30 of the included games.

How would they do that though? A TV is a TV, but making Game Boy screens in the 2010s is unrealistic and if it's to play the games blown up on a TV, I don't think Nintendo would find that to be an experience that meets their current quality standards.

I wish it were possible though.

They don't need to have exact GameBoy screens, just something that effectively presents the pixels as the same size/sharpness, which they could probably achieve with any number of screen configurations.

KAP151

Father in law is gonna love this.

Picking up 2 of these beauties. Pretty much all the best titles in one hit.

Nicely done Nintendo.

TLZ

Banned
Shitty half assed version of what they should have released. I mean does it honestly use wired controllers? Give me a fucking break. I mean it's cute but there's no reason they couldn't have done a Virtual Console streaming stick with internal storage that runs all the old games and also works with NNID. It should have just come with a voucher for the eShop with some credit, I don't want to rebuy games I already own on VC and I already own most of the games on that list and the ones I don't I give zero fucks about. It'll make a great holiday gift though!

Then it's not for you?

oti

Banned

That's a pretty cool idea.

Super C is a great game, but the original Contra is one of the staples of the NES. It's really unfortunate that it's not included here. I wonder what the deal is with Konami and that game. It hasn't been released on the VC in North America for Wii, 3DS, or Wii U and it's not a part of this package. Really odd.

iphys

Yeah, I've always preferred Contra to Super C. The last time they put Contra on anything I think it was Contra 4, which wasn't too long before Wii VC came out, so I was fully expected it, yet it never came.

oti

Banned
Just preordered on Amazon. Are there any details about the retail price of the ac adapter (since the package says there is none included)?

I don't think they'll even sell an "official" adapter for this. If your TV has USB just use that. Otherwise I'm sure you can use every phone/tablet adapter on the planet.

Kurtofan

Simon's Quest...SIMONS QUEST!!!
LLShC.gif

ramparter

Banned

Its a good idea what you describe but I think marketing wise the thing they are selling is better. Plug n play, no subs, no set ups.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I will buy this just to own it but what I really want is a SNES.

It's been said before I'm sure, but I imagine this is a precursor to releasing a "Nintendo Classic Mini - SNES", based on how successful this turns out to be. It's a smart move.

I'm also holding out hope for a Mini SNES - as long as they use the superior Japanese/European design. I have a Raspberry Pi though so I'd probably gut the shell for that.

Card Boy

Banned
This is a good collection of games but it should of included 40 games. It needs Castlevania 3, Megaman 1 and much more 2 player games like Street Gangs.

Piccoro

My gaming life started with the NES.
I still remember when I was a kid and watched my dad come home with my first NES. I was so happy.
And now it all comes full circle, I'm about to buy the NES again!

I'm literally more excited about this console than Neo/Scorpio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom