• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLynn

Kimishima's Nintendo, Ladies and Gentlemen!

As much as I love his work, respect his business philosophy and contributions to the industry, and miss him, Iwata would NEVER allow this to happen. A plug and play Nintendo, Who'da thunk it! The question is will there be a JP Famicom equivalent that may include exclusive JP and disk system game versions and Famicom styled classic controllers (BRILLIANT to use the Classic Controller sockets and plugs!)?

Protome

I'm not surprised but am still a bit disappointed that it doesn't take Carts. I have a Ducktales cart sitting in my wardrobe and no way to play it.

If those NES controller are USB, I am in for those.

e: wtf is up with those ports on the NES? Nintendo nooooo did you seriously make it proprietary

It's the same port the Wii Remote has on the bottom of it for Classic Controllers/nunchucks/etc. It's so you can use the NES controller on your Wii and Wii U for VC games
Or if you want to play Smash Bros REALLY poorly.

11redder

I'm calling it right now NX will use some type of branding from the NES/SNES era. It'll probably be called something with NES in its name!

Nintendo Entertainment System X with F-Zero NX, 1080NX, Wave Race NX and Excite Bike/Truck NX as pack-ins.

Radical.

The only reason anyone thinks this is because "free" emulation exists. Try shelling out for the physical carts for some of these games.

The primary problem with VC pricing is that all the games on the same platform combination are priced the same base price with occasional premium cut for problematic/import titles.

I can absolutely see an argument for Super Mario Bros. 3 being worth €6 today. I can absolutely not see an argument for Duck Hunt or Donkey Kong being worth €6 today. This has nothing to do with carts being available for cheap, it's just some game games have aged better than others (and have launched as better than others).

Now with, say, typical on-Steam publisher this would not be a problem since they would cut the prices as sales slow down. Nintendo is a company that basically doesn't do this, especially with VC.

This has nothing to do with this hardware whatsoever. Since it looks like it's a once done deal I'm not interested. I would buy this bundle on eShop though.

Spades

I wonder how that will translate to £. I guess £50 at least, which might be a bit pricey along with the fact it doesn't come with an AC adapter.

However, nostalgia sells.

Speak for yourself, but that works out at £1.66 per game. They'd cost 3x that on the VC.

StayDead

It comes with Final Fantasy, I'm not sure they'd have one game at 60Hz and the rest at 50. Also it's a USB so most phone plugs should work.

Any guesses for when preorders start? Want to secure mine nice and early.

Edit: I'll be legit jealous if Japan get a famicom version.

Good point. I'll hold off on preordering so I can get the Famicom version with Fire Emblem 1/Gaiden on it <3 (got them both on VC already though)

andymcc

Banned
holy shit, i'm more excited for the controllers than anything else. i already run my wii on my CRT w/ component for NES/Famicom emulation. shit is nice.

Shiggy

Wow, that is adorable. Definitely picking this up!

Are we stuck with only those 30 games to play on it forever?

It probably doesn't have any network connectivity hardware, making it impossible to download further games. That was the case with the Wii Mini.

Damn for $60, what exactly do I stand to lose? Absolutely nothing besides countless hours of sweet, bubbly, warm Nintendo goodness.

I'm in.

This is pretty shrewd of them. You know how the Wii U doesn't have a lot of VC games, probably because VC was only licensed to appear on Wii hardware/OS and companies never got back on board? I bet this is simply Wii hardware rebranded, and it's just a VC bundle that third parties have no power to interfere with. That's why there are so many good third party games there like Final Fantasy.

Also by branding it as a classic NES instead of something Wii-related, they skipped the bad press on that. "Ugh, did we really need an even more limited Wii Mini?"

One thing that interests me is that it's HDMI, but AFAIK the Wii never supported HDMI. So they've done some modification.

indask8

I wonder what's the chip inside, custom ARM chip or maybe they are recycling their stock of PowerPC chips left (I don't believe USB provide enough power).

Sorcerer

Hey Nintendo!,

Don't forget to make a SNES one too!!!

I have to preorder this.

If this is a success an Snes one is definitely going to happen. But they probably will make a part 2 and 3 to this before that happens. Cheaper to use the same hardware and just sell it with different games.

Nice way to have something for holiday before NX.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, that was completely unexpected.
Also, the original red logo on the US boxart, of course.

Very cool selection of games and price. Is is going to be limited or can I wait until christmas? Thank god I didn't bother to buy Virtual Console games on WiiU.

This is pretty shrewd of them. You know how the Wii U doesn't have a lot of VC games, probably because VC was only licensed to appear on Wii hardware/OS and companies never got back on board? I bet this is simply Wii hardware rebranded, and it's just a VC bundle that third parties have no power to interfere with. That's why there are so many good third party games there like Final Fantasy.

Also by branding it as a classic NES instead of something Wii-related, they skipped the bad press on that. "Ugh, did we really need an even more limited Wii Mini?"

One thing that interests me is that it's HDMI, but AFAIK the Wii never supported HDMI. So they've done some modification.
They done with the Wii branding period my guy. Get rid of that thought.

radcliff

Hopefully the NES emulation is better than Wii U's. I also wonder if you will be able to download additional games and maybe that is why Castlevania III and the other Megaman, Ninja Gaiden, and Double Dragon games aren't on there.

Definite day 1 purchase, though!

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
The only reason anyone thinks this is because "free" emulation exists. Try shelling out for the physical carts for some of these games.

The only 2 games I don't have from this would almost equal the entire cost of this thing.

emb

It's cool to see something like this from Nintendo.

I just wish it actually had a cart slot so I'd have more of a reason to pick one up. (Though yes, I understand why that's a little ridiculous to hope for and it won't happen.)

I'll grab one of those NES CC's though probably.

As exciting as this is, the real question is if they're all going to have the nasty black filter that plagues the Wii/Wii U VC releases. NES games look pitch-perfect on 3DS, however.

Count me in, regardless.

Kimishima's Nintendo, Ladies and Gentlemen!

As much as I love his work, respect his business philosophy and contributions to the industry, and miss him, Iwata would NEVER allow this to happen. A plug and play Nintendo, Who'da thunk it! The question is will there be a JP Famicom equivalent that may include exclusive JP and disk system game versions and Famicom styled classic controllers (BRILLIANT to use the Classic Controller sockets and plugs!)?

220px-Manette-iQue.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom