• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: new presentation on April 1st

Demonfang

Banned
Im hoping for an official confirmation of bravely second, doesn't seem too out of the question seeing as the first sold well enough overseas.

I could also see them doing a mewtwo is available to download after the direct. Excited!!!

a new animal crossing or paper mario(pls be RPG) would make me so happy. I don't think retro will announce their game this year. They usually take 3 years for each game. Maybe a little teaser.

Do you guys know how much time did super mario 3d world took to be made? Hayashida was the director for 3d land and that came out in 2011.

NA WiiU predictions:

Zelda - please understand
Splatoon - release date 5/29, amiibos detailed, new trailer
Devil's Third - new trailer, "Fall 2015"
Yoshi Wooly World - new trailer, release date 6/26
Xenoblade Chronicles X - online detailed, "Holiday 2015"
Mario Maker - new details, August 2015 release
Indies Sizzle Reel (includes Neo Fast Racing or whatever it's called)
First actual SMTxFE trailer, release "2016"
Star Fox - being co-developed with Treasure, Holiday 2015
Mario Kart DLC Pack 2 detailed - release 5/12
Mewtwo DLC - trailer, late April release
One brand new game announcement for this holiday - Either Animal Crossing or Paper Mario. For now it'll be a "working title" and we only get a teaser

The treehouse after will be Splatoon

I think at E3 is where we'll get Metroid by Retro, whichever of Animal Crossing or Paper Mario we don't get revealed here for 2016, something from Next Level Games and some QOL news.
I actually expect Retro to make another Donkey Kong Country game to make it another trilogy. No new Metroid for another few years IMO.

Overside

Banned
I actually expect Retro to make another Donkey Kong Country game to make it another trilogy. No new Metroid for another few years IMO.

tumblr_mp7rjzwPvb1rknrf9o1_500.gif

Gartooth

Tropical Freeze wasn't too hot, was it?

Edit: sales-wise

Returns on Wii and 3DS sold really well. It is probably more of an ailment of the platform than anything. Releasing so close to 3D World probably didn't help either.

Anyway, unless their next game was another DKC then I doubt we would hear from them so soon.

I want to see them work on a 3D Donkey Kong badly, but another DKC is never bad news. :p

Scoops

Banned

Yeah I mean nay Metroid game announced would be a 2016 game at this point.

But I disagree, I think DK fatigue is setting in and Retro will make something else.

QOL will probably never be featured in any sort of gaming nintendo direct. Why do people keep forgetting QOL isn't supposed to be a video game thing

Because just about the only area in which Nintendo outdoes all the other people making health and fitness electronics products is the decades of game design experience. Because of this, it feels incredibly natural to assume that a large portion of whatever QoL product they are scheming up involves adding some degree of gameification to try to motivate people to be healthy. There are already services like the website Fitocracy that add experience points to workout tracking. Ideally, an actual game company could make game-like motivation elements more meaningful than any random web developer ever could.

This train of thought, on top of stuff like wii fit and to a much lesser extent Wii Sports, is the only way that the decision to try out a QoL product seems in any way like a natural outgrowth of the business Nintendo already has. Perhaps Nintendo really is just branching out into an industry where they could actually leverage their game design experience without actually doing so. However, until it's definitively proven that Nintendo is just crafting a random piece of consumer electronics after decades of making only entertainment products, people will continue to assume that QoL will resemble Wii Fit on steroids and acid in the fifth dimension.

TheJoRu

I don't think Retro is making another
f*cking
Donkey Kong. Even considering the platform it's on it feels like Tropical Freeze did rather poorly. The reception was good but not great, though the game is still beloved by many.

I don't think they're making Metroid, either. I'm guessing new IP on upcoming hardware in 2017.

Returns on Wii and 3DS sold really well. It is probably more of an ailment of the platform than anything. Releasing so close to 3D World probably didn't help either.

Anyway, unless their next game was another DKC then I doubt we would hear from them so soon.
They also managed to screw up everything leading to its release. Like Cranky Kong. Reggie showed up at VGX to announce Cranky motherfucking Kong.

I'd love Retro to make a DKC trilogy, but people would get all salty over it.

Also the possibility of another Wii U remaster announcement, ala Wind Waker HD.

Back in August, there was someone who claimed that there was supposed to be one released this year. Guess we'll find out soon enough. Or not.

I just want to see more of retro to be honest. At the end of 2014 i sent them a happy holidays message on their facebook page and they responded me! =D

I don't care if it's a new donkey kong, metroid or something else, i need more of retro studios in my life =(

Oersted

They also managed to screw up everything leading to its release. Like Cranky Kong. Reggie showed up at VGX to announce Cranky motherfucking Kong.

There is no need to make it a triology on WiiU or in general. They can revisit it on a later console or leave it be.

Sponge

Banned

This. I'd jump for joy if Retro announced another new Donkey Kong but the internet just doesn't seem to want it. You guys got a Metroid trilogy, can't DK get one too? :(

There is no need to make it a triology on WiiU or in general. They can revisit on a later console or leave it be.

I'd rather Retro expand and make Metroid and DK.

If we're getting ANY XCX stuff for the US/EU stream, it's going to be english footage and voices at most. A release date would make more sense to announce it at E3.

AntMurda

NA WiiU predictions:

Zelda - please understand
Splatoon - release date 5/29, amiibos detailed, new trailer
Devil's Third - new trailer, "Fall 2015"
Yoshi Wooly World - new trailer, release date 6/26
Xenoblade Chronicles X - online detailed, "Holiday 2015"
Mario Maker - new details, August 2015 release
Indies Sizzle Reel (includes Neo Fast Racing or whatever it's called)
First actual SMTxFE trailer, release "2016"
Star Fox - being co-developed with Treasure, Holiday 2015
Mario Kart DLC Pack 2 detailed - release 5/12
Mewtwo DLC - trailer, late April release
One brand new game announcement for this holiday - Either Animal Crossing or Paper Mario. For now it'll be a "working title" and we only get a teaser

The treehouse after will be Splatoon

I think at E3 is where we'll get Metroid by Retro, whichever of Animal Crossing or Paper Mario we don't get revealed here for 2016, something from Next Level Games and some QOL news.

Edit - and Project Treasure at E3

The QOL and treasure co-developing star fox with EAD is nonsensical and shitty speculation dude. Why the hell would EAD hire treasure? For development muscle? For their expertise in 3D HD graphics? For the their ability to meet tight deadlines? EAD is developing the game not treasure and not platinum.

Scoops

Banned
The QOL and treasure co-developing star fox with EAD is nonsensical and shitty speculation dude. Why the hell would EAD hire treasure? For development muscle? For their expertise in 3D HD graphics? For the their ability to meet tight deadlines? EAD is developing the game not treasure and not platinum.

They said when they announced the game they were looking for a development partner.

This is somewhat unrelated, but is there any threads on GAF to trade Club Nintendo stuff before April 1? I have a SML2 (3DS) download code to trade and I want an unregistered Smash 3DS code for the Mewtwo DLC.

hatchx

Banned
f*cking
Donkey Kong. Even considering the platform it's on it feels like Tropical Freeze did rather poorly. The reception was good but not great, though the game is still beloved by many.

I don't think they're making Metroid, either. I'm guessing new IP on upcoming hardware in 2017.

Well, as poorly as Tropical Freeze did compared to DKCR, it still did over 500k. It's probably one of the top 10 best selling wiiU games.

But I think they kind of maxed out what they could do with a 2D platformer. We just don't live in a world where 2D platformers need trilogies anymore. Tropical Freeze was the perfect realization of DKC and what they can do with that formula.

To make it interesting, they'd have to really shake up the foundation.

I highly doubt they're working on a DKC. To be honest, a new Metroid Prime sounds about right and all the hints have been there. I can see it being teased at e3, with a late 2016 release.

AntMurda

They said when they announced the game they were looking for a development partner.

Miyamoto mentioned hiring outside agencies to help finish the game. There's a million and one agencies in Tokyo that specialize in that. Treasure is definitely not one of them.

jnWake

f*cking

From what I've seen in NPD threads, DKCTF didn't perform as badly as people say. I mean, it really underperformed compared to DKCR but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the best selling Wii U game after the Mario/Zelda heavy hitters. It probably sold on par or better than Hyrule Warriors.

But I think they kind of maxed out what they could do with a 2D platformer. We just don't live in a world where 2D platformers need trilogies anymore. Tropical Freeze was the perfect realization of DKC and what they can do with that formula.

No way, I'm sure Retro left a bunch(hehehe) on the table they didn't use for Tropical Freeze.

Plus dose animal buddies!!!

hatchx

Banned

It's a fun prediction thread. If his post is nonsensical and shitty speculation, you must truly despise 90% of the other predictions.

That changed. Its a EAD title now.

I don't believe this is confirmed unless you have a source. Of course EAD is working on it, but Miyamoto said they were looking for a development partner last e3, and nothing anyone has said has changed that.

From what I've seen in NPD threads, DKCTF didn't perform as badly as people say. I mean, it really underperformed compared to DKCR but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the best selling Wii U game after the Mario/Zelda heavy hitters. It probably sold on par or better than Hyrule Warriors.

no, Hyrule Warriors definitely passed it

and there is nothing of note aside from Nintendo Land and Wii Party U (both which beat it) after the Mario/Zelda games, so...

Blues1990

I honestly don't know what to expect. I really want to see some footage of the upcoming second DLC Pack for Mario Kart 8, and hopes there will be two more DLC packs that will add more characters, tracks, and to fix the neutered Battle Area Mode.

I honestly don't know what to expect. I really want to see some footage of the upcoming second DLC Pack for Mario Kart 8, and hopes there will be two more DLC packs that will add more characters, tracks, and to fix the neutered Battle Area Mode.

I think this is it.

I mean, seems like they intentionally left those bookended spaces on the menu.

Astral Dog

no, Hyrule Warriors definitely passed it

and there is nothing of note aside from Nintendo Land and Wii Party U (both which beat it) after the Mario/Zelda games, so...

The only data i could find is 130k for the first eight days. and 35 k first week on Japan.

ffdgh

We're likely not getting anymore dlc for Mario kart 8 after this. It's been a fun run.

Top Bottom