• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - August 2015

sörine

Banned
Any hints for Nindies @night announcements besides MSF3? I'm hoping for Trine 3 and Castle in the Darkness. It'd be great if some MIA games like Treasurenauts, The 90s Arcade Racer and Chromophore resurfaced too.

TheMoon

sörine;176273582 said:
Any hints for Nindies @night announcements besides MSF3? I'm hoping for Trine 3 and Castle in the Darkness. It'd be great if some MIA games like Treasurenauts, The 90s Arcade Racer and Chromophore resurfaced too.

Chromophore (formerly known as Two Brothers) resurfacing is actually pretty likely, considering ACKK recently hinted at it being close to done finally. Treasurenauts is too soon since RK's plate is still quite full with finishing up Mudds SC and Dementium 3D.

VLiberty

sörine;176273582 said:
Is this happening soon?

Another MIA game is Rusty Pup. Curious to hear more about that one

VLiberty

Thanks to both! I think it'll be way too late in europe so I won't be able to watch it live, but I'm looking forward to the announcements. More MSF is good, I liked the first one and I've got the sequel sitting here waiting to be played.

Didn't know about Rusty Pup either, I'm gonna watch it, thanks!

Richie

To anyone in NA who downloaded OoT on the Wii U VC; did they improve the framerate, even slightly? I've heard conflicting notions on this. Digital Trends says "The Wii U version of Ocarina of Time improves on the previously released Wii Virtual Console version of Ocarina of Time with sharper visuals, an improved framerate, and a reconfigurable control scheme". Now, the visuals I know are darker than ever before, and the reconfigurable control scheme is true of every N64 VC release, but that part on the improved framerate, is it true? Would make me buy the game on the spot. Thanks a lot in advance!

Doczu

Anyone can recommend Cube Creator 3D for the 3DS? I've seen some trailers and read a review but i'm still on the edge of buying it. Can someone confirm if it's a good Minecraft clone?

JoeM86

This week, in Europe

Wii U
Q.U.B.E: Director’s Cut – €7.99 / £7.19
Disney Infinity 3.0: Play without limits – €19.99 / £16.49
Life of Pixel – €9.99 / £8.99
Stone Shire – €4.99 / £4.20
Devil’s Third – €59.99 / £49.99

Devil's Third: 1 Golden Egg (Nintendo) - €0.49/£0.49
Devil's Third: 10 Golden Egg (Nintendo) - €3.99/£3.59
Devil's Third: 25 Golden Egg (Nintendo) - €6.99/£6.29
Devil's Third: 50 Golden Egg (Nintendo) - €12.99/£11.69
Devil's Third: 100 Golden Egg (Nintendo) - €19.99/£17.99

3DS
Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson – €29.99 / £24.99

Richie

This week, in Europe

Wii U

3DS

No VC game whatsoever? If Japan didn't already have three games listed for this week I'd be smelling a Direct in the vicinity...

Obligatory (to myself) mention that while I want those to continue, I'm still gonna miss Iwata to no end.

L~A

This week, in Europe

Wii U

3DS

CNKS_N4W8AE6Rca.png:large

Just SK2 for me then. At 39.99€, would have got D3. 49.99€, maybeish. 59.99? f-word-ing lol.

What's the deal with this? You need to buy a figure seperately? And portal? Are these sold seperately?
I think it'd for those that bought the previous versions so they don't need to buy the portal again

Also Life of Pixel for me, enjoyed the PSmobile version in the Vita, will be all over that again

Very interested in QUBE as well

Dat €=£ exchange rate. Well I suppose they could have also done that thing where buying one egg ten times is cheaper than buying ten eggs...

But hang on a second. What in gods name is microtransaction bullshit doing a €60 game? Especially as I hear these eggs are what a lot of ranged weapons are locked behind in the multiplayer game.

ramparter

Banned
Dat €=£ exchange rate. Well I suppose they could have also done that thing where buying one egg ten times is cheaper than buying ten eggs...

But hang on a second. What in gods name is microtransaction bullshit doing a €60 game? Especially as I hear these eggs are what a lot of ranged weapons are locked behind in the multiplayer game.
They could at least have given you 100 eggs when downloading the game but that would be so not nintendo.

TheMoon

full PR:

***************************########################***************************

Nintendo eShop (Wii U)

Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut (Grip Digital) - €7.99/£7.19 (Ends September 14, normally €9.99/£8.99)
Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut is a brain-twisting first-person puzzler. Using special high-tech gloves, you manipulate the environment around you – build bridges, shift walls, open new paths - in order to journey deep into a mysterious giant cube hurtling through space towards Earth and destroy it from within before it eradicates all life on our planet! This Director’s Cut version contains an all new story and dialogue by the award-winning writer Rob Yescombe, and “Against the Qlock” time trials levels that will test your puzzle-solving skills as well as your speed and adaptability.

Disney Infinity 3.0: Play without limits (Disney Interactive Studios) - €19.99/£16.49 (Ends September 5, normally €29.99/£24.99)
Mix, match and mash up characters and worlds in the 3.0 Toy Box to create any adventure you can imagine. Use the new Creator tool to quickly build your worlds with ease. Create and share Toy Boxes online. Connect your Toy Box creations with friends.

Life of Pixel (Super Icon) - €9.99/£8.99
Journey across the expertly-recreated worlds of more than a dozen vintage gaming systems. Life of Pixel takes you on a historical tour-de-force across the rich landscape of 8-bit and 16-bit gaming. Experience chock-full of tricks & traps, double jumps, gravity inversion, secrets & specials. Vanquish the enemy pixels and bosses who try to thwart you throughout your quest. Uncover dozens of special secrets: look out for jetpacks, bubbles to fly, trampolines, hidden rooms and maps, aeroplanes, skateboards and even a Sinclair C5! Fire pixel from a cannon, reach high areas by bouncing on a trampoline, use the Super Potion to defeat enemies, smash the baddies with the mine cart, uncover secrets with the Bomb. Enjoy a variety of beautiful pixel art from classic 8 & 16-bit game systems as well as fantastic chip music soundtrack.

Stone Shire (Finger Fun Games) - €4.99/£4.20 (Ends September 26, normally €7.99/£7.00)
There once was a dwarf with a pickaxe. It had one goal in life: to explore the world and to see what lies both above and beneath it. So it took up its tool and set out on an adventure, waiting to see what the world has to offer. You are that ambitious explorer. Exploring through tree, snow, and sand, you will be able to manipulate the world however you see fit. The world before you is made up of cubes. Using your pickaxe, or even just your hands, you can break blocks and use them to either build structures or craft unique items. Underground lies rare metals, such as gold and diamond. In order to find and mine them, you will have to craft stronger and stronger pickaxes. The only goal in this world is what you make of it.

Devil's Third (Nintendo) - €59.99/£49.99
From the creative mind of legendary designer Tomonobu Itagaki comes Devil's Third, an over-the-top, third-person action shooter that combines modern military weaponry with ninja-style swordplay and melee combat. It has a unique vision for a deep and challenging online mode that blends clan-based action, resource management and strategy.

Special offers
Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails (Dakko Dakko) - €4.99/£4.49 (Ends September 3, normally €9.99/£8.99)
Turtle Tale (Saturnine Games) - €1.99/£1.65 (Ends September 17, normally €2.99/£2.49)

Nintendo eShop (3DS)

SENRAN KAGURA 2: Deep Crimson (Marvelous Europe) - €29.99/£24.99
SENRAN KAGURA 2: Deep Crimson is the latest Nintendo 3DS title in the SENRAN KAGURA franchise. For those who aren’t familiar, expect a fast-paced beat ‘em up game with insane combo chains, plenty of playable characters, hilarious cutscenes and an abundance of tantalising action! The game picks up directly where its Nintendo 3DS™ predecessor SENRAN KAGURA Burst left off, and follows the Hanzo & Hebijo Shinobi Academies as they battle for good and evil respectively. This time however there is a greater evil at work, as the tyrannous tycoon behind the Hebijo Academy is hell-bent on raining terror across all of Japan by utilising a destructive army of summoned demons! This great danger thrusts the girls together and forces them to unite and work as one in a way the series has never seen before.

SENRAN KAGURA 2: Deep Crimson: Additional Character MURASAME (Marvelous Europe) - €4.99/£4.49

Special offers
Turtle Tale (Saturnine Games) - €1.99/£1.65 (Ends September 17, normally €2.99/£2.49)
Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (ATLUS) - €14.99/£13.49 (Ends September 3, normally €29.99/£24.99)
VAN HELSING SNIPER ZX100 (EnjoyUp Games) - €2.99/£2.99 (Ends September 24, normally €6.66/£6.66)
Fantasy Pirates (EnjoyUp Games) - €1.99/£1.99 (Ends September 24, normally €4.50/£4.50)
Football Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games) - €1.99/£1.79 (Ends September 24, normally €2.99/£2.49)
Tiny Games - Knights & Dragons (REACTOR) - €1.99/£1.69 (Ends September 10, normally €2.99/£2.49)
Mystery Case Files Ravenhearst (MSL) - €4.99/£4.49 (Ends September 24, normally €11.99/£10.79)
Mystery Case Files Dire Grove (MSL) - €3.99/£3.59 (Ends September 24, normally €11.99/£10.79)
Mystery Case Files Return to Ravenhearst (MSL) - €4.99/£4.49 (Ends September 24, normally €11.99/£10.79)
Hidden Expedition Titanic (MSL) - €3.99/£3.59 (Ends September 24, normally €11.99/£10.79)
4 Elements (MSL) - €2.99/£2.69 (Ends September 24, normally €12.00/£10.79)
Jewel Quest 4 Heritage (MSL) - €2.99/£2.69 (Ends September 24, normally €11.99/£10.79)
Jewel Quest The Sapphire Dragons (MSL) - €4.99/£4.49 (Ends September 24, normally €11.99/£10.79)
Jewel Quest Mysteries 3 - The Seventh Gate (MSL) - €2.99/£2.69 (Ends September 24, normally €11.99/£10.79)
Luxor (MSL) - €2.99/£2.69 (Ends September 24, normally €11.99/£10.79)
Secret Mysteries in London (MSL) - €2.99/£2.69 (Ends September 24, normally €11.99/£10.79)
Azada (MSL) - €2.99/£2.69 (Ends September 24, normally €11.99/£10.79)

***************************########################***************************

L~A

59.99€. P2W microtransactions. In a Nintendo game... *sigh*

I know it's going to be the exception, but damn it : /

How's Life of Pixel? Worth it?

Maxcriden had this to say a few pages back:

Very charming game. The game is broken up by "system," so you can play Amiga-inspired levels, GB-inspired levels, etc. It seems there is a good deal of content, and levels do feature collectibles. My issue with the game is that some of the systems are too archaic to be fun, for me. I got burned out on the levels I played because I started with the earliest systems on offer, and jumping between screens and having each screen load "individually," even if this happens quickly, is kinda (literally) headache-inducing for me in its archaic-ness. I like the game, though, and I want to try the later systems' levels. They're all unlocked from the get-go. Still befuddled how this game isn't a copyright nightmare, with Atari, Nintendo, Sega and other systems on display. For $7 I think it's worth the price if you don't feel like antiquated systems' graphical quirks will bother you. At its core, a very solid and fun platformer.

Also, Worthintendo seems to like it:

Also Life of Pixel for me, enjoyed the PSmobile version in the Vita, will be all over that again

It's usually a good idea to search a thread before asking a question like this. The looking glass icon on the top-right of the page lets you search just inside the thread you are in. A bunch of times you'll find the answer's already there and you'll save yourself (and someone else) the time.

Nintendo are way too lenient in what they allow on the store.
They're too lenient... with themselves?! XD

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I guess as a FYI, if you don't know, if you downloaded Senran Kagura Burst/have save data, then you get the DLC character Murasame for free in SK2, & this is for both EU & US, as it was a bonus in Japan as well.

ramparter

Banned
Special offers
Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails (Dakko Dakko) - €4.99/£4.49 (Ends September 3, normally €9.99/£8.99)
God how can my wallet sustain all these big sales...

Simbabbad

@Killer Yakuza B: I know this. Maybe I was looking for other opinions? Sorry for discussing games on a gaming message board.

Myself, I've always answered that sort of question with as much details as I could, trying to separate what pleased/displeased me personally from what could please/displease other people. It would have never crossed my mind to tell someone asking "is this game worth it" on a gaming message board to fuck off and find opinions and reviews through search engines. If this is the sort of logic we should follow, then I guess we can happily close this forum, because there are reviews out there, right, so what's the point of "wasting time" discussing games?

@Killer Yakuza B: I know this. Maybe I was looking for other opinions? Sorry for discussing games on a gaming message board.

Myself, I've always answered that sort of question with as much details as I could, trying to separate what pleased/displeased me personally from what could please/displease other people. It would have never crossed my mind to tell someone asking "is this game worth it" on a gaming message board to fuck off and find opinions and reviews through search engines. If this is the sort of logic we should follow, then I guess we can happily close this forum, because there are reviews out there, right, so what's the point of "wasting time" discussing games?

Dude. Relax your delicate sensibilities a little bit. I was helping you out and went through the trouble of looking those posts up for you. Then I gave you advice on being more efficient about finding answers. I reply to people asking for recommendations in these threads all the time. Not everyone is out for a fight here, as hard as that might be to believe sometimes. That wasn't me being confrontational. Your levels of coolness were not being questioned, your testicles are in a safe place.

Ahh..... well..... uhh..... you see.....

Shit.
Hey, we actually agree that Nintendo shouldn't have let Nintendo get away with that on Nintendo's eShop! XD

maxcriden

Dudes, please do yourself a favor and buy Scram Kitty.

Me:

Finished the game after six long and wonderful months in space. I absolutely loved it. Easily one of my favorite eShop games. It was a really superb and superlative experience.

OT here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819433

Wherein, you can see that persons of exquisite taste, such as daydream, abstract alien, and Yuterald, amongst others, all immensely enjoyed the game.

Simbabbad

That wasn't me being confrontational.
That's the entire content of your answer, with none of my objections addressed, and over the top provocations ("delicate sensibilities", "fight", "coolness", "testicles" - what? what the fuck is wrong with you)?

The Nintendo Download threats are full of people asking advices for games, it could actually be argued it's their main point. Every time there is a price cut or when games release after another region had prior accessed to them, people ask or give opinions about them, especially when it's about a little game like Life of Pixel that has barely been discussed on GAF. Why you needed to act like a junior moderator then blow a fuse and overreact when your behaviour was pointed as weird and misplaced, I have no idea.

The Nintendo Download threats are full of people asking advices for games, it could actually be argued it's their main point. Every time there is a price cut or when games release after another region had prior accessed to them, people ask or give opinions about them, especially when it's about a little game like Life of Pixel that has barely been discussed on GAF. Why you needed to act like a junior moderator then blow a fuse and overreact when your behaviour was pointed as weird and misplaced, I have no idea.

But I am not denying that this is what these threads are for. I gave you two opinions on the game and showed you the way to more opinions. I get that you didn't like part of my reply, but like I already said, that very first reply wasn't meant to be an attack on you.

Read my original post again, please. All I said was that it's a good idea to search the thread for answers. And it is! Do you realize that the only reply helping you out is mine? You can't really accuse me of overreaction when your replies are this passive-aggressive or downright aggressive, implying I was telling you to fuck off, accusing me of acting like a moderator, and asking "what the fuck is wrong" with me. All because you didn't like the tone or something I said in my first post. Again, I wasn't attacking you.

So yeah, excuse me if I repeat myself here and tell you to relax a little bit, man.

maxcriden

I bought Scramble Kitty on maxcriden's suggestion and it's a great game. Even better since an update or two smoothed out the gameplay experience.

Thanks, GRW. I'm really glad you dug it. That is one example where the update only helped better the game. I have not tried the new update with dual stick control, but it looks pretty rad. What a gem of a game.

ETA:

ATTN Simbabbad and KYB!!!

image.php
image.php

Dudes. Please. No. Simbabbad, you are not familiar with KYB. I promise you I know the guy and this is just how he chats. He's a friendly person and means well. I can see how you could misinterpret his tone, but I promise he did not mean to come off in any rude way. He was sincerely trying to help you. Give him a break, and understand he means well. Si vous plait.

image.php
128x128x2764-google-android-5.png.pagespeed.ic.cF14AXAX6B.png
image.php

Simbabbad

But I am not denying that this is what these threads are for.
Then why do you assume I don't know how to search, and talk about "saving people's time"? There aren't much opinions about this game on GAF and they sort of diverge a lot for a title like this, which stands a good deal on nostalgia for older systems, some of them little known. It's pretty standard in this thread to ask for people's opinions in the context of a game like this one that's hard to evaluate. Also, asking again for opinions is sometimes a good idea because opinions evolve with time: for example at first I found Scram Kitty excellent, but then tons of issues (which haven't been fixed by updates - there is also the matter of updates) appeared, and now I'm much more mixed.

I didn't attack you, and didn't take your first post as an attack, I just found it weird and needlessly paternalist. Your second post, on the other hand, oh boy! Strange to read you tell me to relax. But let's not bother people and ourselves with this, it's not worth it, let's say it's a misunderstanding and leave it at that.

EDIT: @maxcriden: I see we crossed our posts/edits. Like I say in this post, I do think it's a misunderstanding and no big deal. It needlessly escalated and isn't worth spoiling the good atmosphere of the topic.

maxcriden

Also, asking again for opinions is sometimes a good idea because opinions evolve with time: for example at first I found Scram Kitty excellent, but then tons of issues (which haven't been fixed by updates - there is also the matter of updates) appeared, and now I'm much more mixed.

Just curious about these issues. I hadn't heard much.

It's not like Elliot Quest where the new patch still leaves a lot of issues ;___: But I know they're working on it.

Simbabbad

It's not so much bugs as it is gameplay polish. Mostly, I find the difficulty is really not consistent if you try to 100%, and the frustration isn't dealt with appropriately.

For example, there are levels where you can grab health items indefinitely, and some where there is no health items at all (or in any case no way to create some by disposing of enemies), without the level design or difficulty ramp being tuned appropriately. It causes issues with the cat you need to run after, in particular, which can cause incredibly frustrating situations.

Also, I'm amazed the author hasn't fixed its cat character obscuring the main screen at random, including in very tense moments, and for nothing but dialogue you know already. The game has tons of issues like this, which haven't been corrected in updates.

But the game has tons of great qualities, it's a shame the author didn't fix the right things IMO.

(damn, even the latest Elliot Quest patch hasn't corrected everything?!)

maxcriden

PSA: Woah Dave! = 8.10 @ Nintendo Life

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu-eshop/woah_dave

Woah Dave! is a game for high score junkies. It's a title that builds upon simple gameplay and visuals to make players feel like they can do better. Like most arcade classics, the strategy involved in advancing your score is surprisingly deep and will keep players coming back for "just one more game" for hours. The 3DS version may be a better fit for on-the-go players, but Dave feels more at home on the big screen where others can share in the insanity.

Evidently the Wii U version is plenty good, then. The game is also cross-buy. Such a fun game. (I have only played the 3DS iteration.)

large.jpg

Above image is from the 3DS version.

--

It's not so much bugs as it is gameplay polish. Mostly, I find the difficulty is really not consistent if you try to 100%, and the frustration isn't dealt with appropriately.

For example, there are levels where you can grab health items indefinitely, and some where there is no health items at all (or in any case no way to create some by disposing of enemies), without the level design or difficulty ramp being tuned appropriately. It causes issues with the cat you need to run after, in particular, which can cause incredibly frustrating situations.

Also, I'm amazed the author hasn't fixed its cat character obscuring the main screen at random, including in very tense moments, and for nothing but dialogue you know already. The game has tons of issues like this, which haven't been corrected in updates.

But the game has tons of great qualities, it's a shame the author didn't fix the right things IMO.

(damn, even the latest Elliot Quest patch hasn't corrected everything?!)

Oh, huh. I never played looking at the cat obscuring the screen. My understanding was that was supposed to be the spectator screen. You know you can switch the displays, right? I can't imagine playing while looking at that screen. I can see how that would be really frustrating. That, Kirby and Toad are the three games I've felt are much better in off-screen play than on the TV.

Anyway, I can see your frustration with the health and escape kitty aspects. Those took me a great deal of time and practice, and I'm not particularly excellent at the game (or games in general.). It was super satisfying to eventually 100% the main game, but it took tons of time and practice.

ETA: oh, you asked about EQ. Some Miiverse posts from my wife (well, I typed them):

#glitchpatrol ''you aint ever gonna burn my heart ouuuut...'' - oasis, don't look back in anger (the fire wont stop burning)

#glitchpatrol #heylisten navi? is that you? (but seriously, is the circling green pixel a glitch? happens sometimes...)

craaaazy slowdown in this area now, when you use the whirlwind especially...

this is part of the glitch. crazy slomo and a bubble becomes a wave as seen here.

You get the gist. There's also a glitch with the enemies sometimes shooting way too many projectiles, or an endless stream of them ;__; As I said, they're aware of the issue and working on it. Just frustrating as a player though.

PLUS, my wife and I absolutely love the game but we're doing some sidequest stuff now and it's...it's too damn hard. We've given up on it for now. ;___; It's ridiculously difficult and we're not sure if it's glitchy or designed that way. But DAMN.

Simbabbad

Oh, huh. I never played looking at the cat obscuring the screen. My understanding was that was supposed to be the spectator screen. You know you can switch the displays, right? I can't imagine playing while looking at that screen. I can see how that would be really frustrating.
The problem is, the screen handling isn't consistent. The default gamepad screen (I know they can be switched) is displaying a fixed view locked on the player, but the TV screen has a dynamic camera that zooms in and out to displays enemies, stuff to grab, and focus on specific areas when it makes sense. So generally it's better to watch the TV screen, except it gets obscured with needless messages. So you spend a lot of time switching, sometimes in action. Why does the cat (and a scree filter) appear to say completely useless stuff while in action like this:

large.jpg

... is beyond me. There are tons of polish issues like this that no update has fixed.

For Elliot Quest, I wonder if the Steam version has the same issues. I'm planning to get that one, when it has issues they're generally fixed quicker.

Top Bottom