• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2014

daydream

Banned
Someone please defend this.

After all the (actual) crap we have to go through with NoE on a constant basis, getting a free theme was a nice if completely worthless gesture. Seriously, you should consider moving to Europe. Constant complaining is way less obnoxious if the person has *actual* reasons for it.

jholmes

OK, I'm at the office now (I KNOW) but I'll try out Spy Chameleon and tell y'all what I think.

Spending a buck? Maybe DLC like Pikmin 3 or a Zen Pinball table?

Zen Pinball's my go-to but I already have a ton of tables there. Not sure if there's any I want but don't have. I've got all the Pikmin 3 DLC I'd play really, I haven't even played all the stuff I've bought.

Ladekabel

Told my self to stay strong and resist but I gave in and bought Armillo and Scram Kitty.

Quick Question: Can I play them with a pro controller or do I have to use the gamepad?

TheMoon

Told my self to stay strong and resist but I gave in and bought Armillo and Scram Kitty.

Quick Question: Can I play them with a pro controller or do I have to use the gamepad?

The eShop page tells you what is supported.

Off the top of my head I know that Scram Kitty supports the Pro Controller, as I have played it plenty of times with just that. Not sure about Armillo and too lazy to check. :)

edit: Yes: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-U-download-software/Armillo-899805.html
I guess I was just too lazy to get up.
apckgzul.jpg

jholmes

Scram Kitty is absolutely GamePad-only. You need the screen itself. Just go with it.

Armillo you can use the pro controller as far as I remember.

They're both good games! Merry Christmas to you!

Off the top of my head I know that Scram Kitty supports the Pro Controller, as I have played it plenty of times with just that. Not sure about Armillo and too lazy to check. :)

Was that patched in? Do you not get the Scram Kitty commentary then?

TheMoon

Scram Kitty is absolutely GamePad-only. You need the screen itself. Just go with it.

Armillo you can use the pro controller as far as I remember.

They're both good games! Merry Christmas to you!

Was that patched in? Do you not get the Scram Kitty commentary then?

Pro Controller support was always there. Of course the commentary is still displayed on whatever screen you pick.

jholmes

Pro Controller support was always there. Of course the commentary is still displayed on whatever screen you pick.

I stand corrected! I was sure when I played on the GamePad the TV both wouldn't display the full view that was on the GamePad screen, and of course Scram Kitty cuts away from the action on the TV. Always good to have another control option, though!

maxcriden

I loved Blocks That Matter.

I was told that one was a bit too time-consuming to port to Wii U, but I'd like to check it out on the computer sometime.

I stand corrected! I was sure when I played on the GamePad the TV both wouldn't display the full view that was on the GamePad screen, and of course Scram Kitty cuts away from the action on the TV. Always good to have another control option, though!

Yes, it's ostensibly impossible to play directly on the Scram Kitty commentary screen IMO, so it's good you can turn it to the GamePad even if you're playing with the Pro Controller. I did play the whole game using Off-TV Play, though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I need 301 points for my last DDP $5 credit. I'm getting Duck Hunt either way so it's essentially $25.20 I have to spend on my Wii U in a week.

Here's my plan as of now:

Buy Duck Hunt ($5)
Buy Klonoa ($7)
Buy Mario Pinball Land ($7)
Buy Gargoyle's Quest 2 ($5)
Buy Mighty Final Fight ($5)

I'm still a dollar short, though! What the hell can I do :(

Mario Pinball Land is utter shit. Don't know if Metroid Prime Pinball (same dev) is on VC yet but that one is great.
Pokemon Pinball is decent as well, tho you need to be into Pokemon since the pinball part is weak, while for Metroid either part of the fame (the Metroid flavor, the atypical pinball gameplay and the "pure-ish" pinball mechanics are all equally great).
But seriously, MPL is terrible, and I buy everything pinball on principle, unfortunately I still couldn't find any redeeming qualities in it.

Good day for VC overall across the board. Too bad NA gamers didn't get the free SMB DX promo, but at least it's finally available for those here who don't have the cart. Got Duck Hunt and am having fun with it. I'm not pleased it's priced at 4.99, but without a CRT TV this is currently the only way to play an official version of the game. Plus I have friends and family who will be excited to play it again. Just need to turn off that aiming cursor.

There are actually more than a few things to consider about the GBA port of Super Mario World (which despite its flaws is a solid port and one of my most played GBA carts):

Pros:

1.Two things about Luigi being in the game, one factor which you may not be aware of.
Obviously he has his floaty SMB 2 physics which is fun on its own but here's the kicker:

Using Luigi now gives Yoshi the ability to turn virtually any enemy in the game into a projectile
(even Pirahna plants). This is actually a really fun mechanic if you enjoy experimenting with levels in new ways. Example of why this is cool: Try taking Luigi to Soda Lake with Yoshi and you can now kill the Torpedo Teds either by spitting back the Teds themselves or by hitting them with Cheeps.

2.Fall map and masked enemies are now earned by finding all 96 exits. I'm listing this as a pro because in the SNES game you got the fall theme just by clearing the Special World and it's nice to have an extra incentive to hit all of the exits.

3.Pressing select gives you a nice status screen which tells you how many stages you've collected Dragon Coins in (which are now in almost every level, even ghost houses, fortresses and castles), which levels you've cleared with Mario or Luigi and your total play time. Also, getting all 96 exits enables you to use the status screen to instantly warp to the location of any individual stage in the game instead of having to use the map.

4.Colored Yoshi's no longer have to be obtained from Star Road and can now be gained in regular map stages depending on which power up you have: Small Mario - Random. Super Mario - Yellow Fire Mario - Red. Cape Mario - Blue
Note: This doesn't *always* work, sometimes the Yoshi you get will still be random.

5.Includes the remixed version Mario Bros Arcade. Not a big deal especially since it's in all of the other Advance ports anyways but nice bonus nonetheless.

Cons:

1.Color balance is off which is common to SNES-GBA ports. Can anyone confirm if M2 alleviated this at all with any of their filter options?

2.Inclusion of voice samples.

3.Aspect ratio and viewing area of course are compromised and more cramped.

Now for a biggie, this is the only example I know of where a level in this game was blatantly modified:

The infamous "Awesome" stage in the Special World:

GBA:

8B850F59-16AE-4BA6-AB24-063CF75079C4-4802-0000059477C5DDD5_zpsd1f437ab.jpg

SNES:

645C5EA6-3FE4-4494-B278-E07DAAA5CEBB-4802-000005954584E762_zps42268472.jpg

Somebody at NCL when porting the game to GBA decided to make the entry to the icy section a bit easier by connecting the first two bridges, and for what? Completely pointless and compromises one of the greatest Mario stages ever.

Anyways, most will just stick with the SNES game but I thought it'd be interesting to give the aforementioned examples. There is a dedicated guide on Gamefaqs for all of the SNES-GBA changes which is very detailed and has a lot more adjustments covered:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/472572-super-mario-world-super-mario-advance-2/faqs/15910

Good day for VC overall across the board. Too bad NA gamers didn't get the free SMB DX promo,

What what what!?!!

NOE said:
Nintendo Network IDs were added with the major 3DS system update on 10th December, and a new promotion will offer a free game to those that have already setup an ID on the portable or do so before 31st January 2014. That free download will be Game Boy Color title Super Mario Bros. Deluxe; it's a remixed and enhanced version of the seminal NES game.

Cmon NOA. What the hell

jholmes

Mario Pinball Land is utter shit. Don't know if Metroid Prime Pinball (same dev) is on VC yet but that one is great.
Pokemon Pinball is decent as well, tho you need to be into Pokemon since the pinball part is weak, while for Metroid either part of the fame (the Metroid flavor, the atypical pinball gameplay and the "pure-ish" pinball mechanics are all equally great).
But seriously, MPL is terrible, and I buy everything pinball on principle, unfortunately I still couldn't find any redeeming qualities in it.

As said Metroid Prime Pinball is not on the VC. Pokemon is coming next week and I intend to get it, but that doesn't get me DDP credit.

jmizzal

Went with Shovel Knight and Duck Hunt, will wait for the Kickstarter Shante since this one price is high for an old game remaster

will get my last 5 bucks on DDP

Just downloaded the the Off-TV update for X-TYPE Plus, whoo! Great game if you love "arena style" shmups and endless boss runs. Also at 2.99 it's a bargain and a great title if you're looking for some extra DDP points before the service ends.

Originally Posted by NOE
Nintendo Network IDs were added with the major 3DS system update on 10th December, and a new promotion will offer a free game to those that have already setup an ID on the portable or do so before 31st January 2014. That free download will be Game Boy Color title Super Mario Bros. Deluxe; it's a remixed and enhanced version of the seminal NES game.

Thanks, forgot how that promo worked exactly. Lucky NOE gamers. And wow, this year sure went by fast.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Welp, Weapon Shop de Omasse is strangely addicting. For $3, I'm pleased. Now I just need to figure out what to get for $10 so I can get one more $5 code. Already got Duck Hunt, which helped.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Scram Kitty, Zonic. SKAHBOR!
Wasn't it previously on sale once? I think I was gonna buy it, but passed on it.

*does research* Oh yeah, back in August. Eeehhhh, I'll probably pick it up the next time it's on sale, but I feel like if it's been on sale once, it might go on sale again.

......then again, I guess one could argue that since I'd be getting $5 back, it kind of is like getting it for $5 instead of $10.

I'll explore my options. There was Mighty Final Fight, SF2010, & Gargoyle's Quest 2 that I wanted to get, but I kind of want those on 3DS (well maybe SF2010 on Wii U due to being hard). Problem is if I get a $8 game, I don't know what I could grab for $2.

maxcriden

Wasn't it previously on sale once? I think I was gonna buy it, but passed on it.

*does research* Oh yeah, back in August. Eeehhhh, I'll probably pick it up the next time it's on sale, but I feel like if it's been on sale once, it might go on sale again.

......then again, I guess one could argue that since I'd be getting $5 back, it kind of is like getting it for $5 instead of $10.

I'll explore my options. There was Mighty Final Fight, SF2010, & Gargoyle's Quest 2 that I wanted to get, but I kind of want those on 3DS (well maybe SF2010 on Wii U due to being hard). Problem is if I get a $8 game, I don't know what I could grab for $2.

....From where I'm sitting it sounds like you're just talking yourself into getting SKAHBOR and that free Skor bar you get for 100%ing the game. ;)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
....From where I'm sitting it sounds like you're just talking yourself into getting SKAHBOR and that free Skor bar you get for 100%ing the game. ;)
So I score a Skor for getting a high score in SKAHBOR?

Actually, if I buy that, then I could use the funds on a NES game if I want. I might buy it tomorrow or so after getting some more money.

maxcriden

So I score a Skor for getting a high score in SKAHBOR?

Actually, if I buy that, then I could use the funds on a NES game if I want. I might buy it tomorrow or so after getting some more money.

Exactly! I've only had one GAFer take me up on this so far, though.

GulAtiCa

Isn't the Australia Govt currently streamlining the AU rating system? I thought I read something about that and how they were going to make it easier and hopefully cheaper, if not free.

I've heard that Chasing Aurora Wii U rating cost about $500 there. I'm likely to look into getting my game rated for Australia in Feb or so. Cause it be fun to say I have a game out in AU, even if I don't earn it back.

GulAtiCa

Can you comment on how your game sales have been and especially today? For instance when you discount, do you see a huge spike and also make enough to cover the discount?

GulAtiCa

Making a discount >>>>>>> not making a discount.

My game sales are actually little low per day (esp with eShop seeing huge competition in other sales and big releases) this time around compared to my previous sales. But this is my 3rd sale and only a 25% sale this time, so sales have tailed off a little, esp if you combine it with kinda bad/confusing marketing. But on flip side, currently the game does nearly nothing outside sales (do to lack of really finding it on eShop if not featured/etc). So even if sales per day are at their lowest for this 3rd time being on sale, it is still like 1500% bigger then if I haven't put it on sale. So in short, discount = good.

If you look at the indie section or price drop section on the eShop, it's actually ranked by how it's doing recently. So you will find the popular games at top, and lesser sellers at bottom. So on the indie section, you will see games that are barely doing anything, mostly games that aren't on sale and are very old.

I think the only time it makes sense to not do a sale, is when your game is still doing well, like Shovel Knight. They can easily afford to wait to do a sale later on. Also, if you do a sale too often, people might start expecting you to do sales often, so that could be an issue. And I've done 3 sales (11 weeks combined), so people might start thinking that of me soon haha.

There are some eShop games by indies, esp indies of my standard of being unknown, who have never done a sale. I question that, mainly when their games barely do anything since launch. My 1st sale had great results, so I question why never doing a sale.

I won't actually know how today sales are doing until tomorrow morning. I've heard from different sources to expect like 10x sales or so. I would jump for joy if I saw like 5x haha.

terrisus

I won't actually know how today sales are doing until tomorrow morning. I've heard from different sources to expect like 10x sales or so. I would jump for joy if I saw like 5x haha.

Alright everyone - GulAtiCa's getting pizzas for everyone here tomorrow!

I'll take extra cheese and pepperoni <3

GulAtiCa

Time for some fun equations of sold unit numbers!

Launch 6 weeks ($2.99) = A
1st Sale (50% at $1.49) of 2 weeks = B
2nd Sale (50% at $0.99) of 3 weeks = C
3 week period not on sale between 2nd & 3rd Sale ($1.99) = D
3rd Sale (25% at $1.49) of currently 5 weeks (as of yesterday) = E

B >> A
A << C < B
E = C
E = 20*D

E is selling less per day then C, but because of higher price, sale value in end is actually the same when C is aligned with the first 3 weeks of E.

Q3 = Q4 in download units. Q4 will be bigger once today's sales come clear.

That's awesome info dude. Always been curious. I really appreciate that. Hope your sales increase by more than 10x!!

Two follow up though, do you have to pay for front page exposure and if so how much?

And do you alert Nintendo when changing your price so it enters the price drops page or is that automated?

Oh sorry one more. Have you heard or seen first hand a ratio of people who do the eshop rating? I know I do it on all the games I buy.

terrisus

Time for some fun equations of sold unit numbers!

Launch 6 weeks ($2.99) = A
1st Sale (50% at $1.49) of 2 weeks = B
2nd Sale (50% at $0.99) of 3 weeks = C
3 week period not on sale between 2nd & 3rd Sale ($1.99) = D
3rd Sale (25% at $1.49) of currently 5 weeks (as of yesterday) = E

B >> A
A << C < B
E = C
E = 20*D

E is selling less per day then C, but because of higher price, sale value in end is actually the same when C is aligned with the first 3 weeks of E.

Q3 = Q4 in download units. Q4 will be bigger once today's sales come clear.

Ooh, I like stuff like this!
...But I'm just about to get going to sleep.

If no one else has converted it into more understandable stuff by tomorrow, I'm doing it!

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
That's awesome info dude. Always been curious. I really appreciate that. Hope your sales increase by more than 10x!!

Two follow up though, do you have to pay for front page exposure and if so how much?

And do you alert Nintendo when changing your price so it enters the price drops page or is that automated?

Oh sorry one more. Have you heard or seen first hand a ratio of people who do the eshop rating? I know I do it on all the games I buy.

I remember him saying you've got to give a decent amount of time(two weeks?) to alert Nintendo of an upcoming sale to be included into the PR, but I don't think you've got to give much notice just to do a sale.

GulAtiCa

As far as I know, front page has no paid spots. Really goes based upon hype/etc. My game was featured for the "price drop" section a few weeks back. I do remember hearing that Zen Studios paid for a spot on 3DS eShop for their Marvel Pinball game to have a front page spot, but that was a long time ago, not even sure if that is true.

And for starting a sale, we have to email them with a signed price form (scanned) with dates/prices for each game. You also can only do a sale after 1 half waiting period after your last sale to help return stuff to normal. For example, if you do a 2 week sale, you will have to wait 1 week to do another. My current sale is 7 weeks long (just to round off the year), so I will have to wait essentially a month to do another sale. You also need to send it in a few weeks in advance, as while it only really required a few days to process, they finalize the PR a week in advance and send it off to PR/etc. (It's why some games don't get mentioned, because they sent it in a bit late.)

jholmes

zlCfzSy1dA8V9Aya4m

I'm one world into Spy Chameleon. I'll come back with a longer set of impressions once I've put more time in with it.

The initial review, though? Buy it. This game has way more polish than I expected at this price point and is a lot of fun. This is the sort of game people will be lauding as a sleeper hit. If you like stealth or puzzle games at all, $5 is an amazing price for what you're getting.

Top Bottom