• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2013

ahm998

Wii U Eshop store for Digital game sucks.

No discount , no price drop , no special offer , No free DLC .

Assasin Creed 3 in Amazon 40$ & Eshop 60$.

Qurupeke

So...
http://blog.zenstudios.com/?p=2918

They haven't announced a Wii U version yet... But in the comments there is some teasing about a possible Wii U version. Also, on Miiverse there's huge demand for Nintendo themed tables. Imagine a Metroid table and a Goron table. Please Zen Studios, make it happen!

Roto13

So...

They haven't announced a Wii U version yet... But in the comments there is some teasing about a possible Wii U version. Also, on Miiverse there's huge demand for Nintendo themed tables. Imagine a Metroid table and a Goron table. Please Zen Studios, make it happen!

The cool thing about Zen Pinball 2 is that, even though I play it on PS3 and Vita so all of my tables are there, if I wanted to buy some Nintendo tables on Wii U, I totally could without having to buy a base game.

Qurupeke

The cool thing about Zen Pinball 2 is that, even though I play it on PS3 and Vita so all of my tables are there, if I wanted to buy some Nintendo tables on Wii U, I totally could without having to buy a base game.

Well, I'm sure that many would buy them. It needs to happen. :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That's the problem with consoles in general, not just Wii U. Digital stores are complete shit on consoles.

Both other console dd stores have regular sales on full games. The MSRP issue is still a problem, just as it is with Steam, but let's not pretend everything is equal.

It's an issue with publishers. Ubisoft could freely price drop AC3 to $39.99 if they wanted, both 3DS and Wii U eShop now give publishers full price control.

Some publishers have come in with smarter pricing though. Tantalus recently selfpublished Funky Barn on the eShop and priced it $10 below retail MSRP. Namco also launched TTT2 for $5 below retail, though they haven't dropped further to match the physical pricing slide.

JavyOO7

I wonder how Runner2 will be played. The developers haven't said anything how it will control...

I hope you can play off-tv!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's an issue with publishers. Ubisoft could freely price drop AC3 to $39.99 if they wanted, both 3DS and Wii U eShop now give publishers full price control.

That's the MSRP issue, yes, but in terms of regular sales, I'd be happy to revisit this a year from now, but I am extremely confident there will be fewer games put on Wii U than on XBLA/PSN (This is an average week of sales in XBLA; Steam has 1 game on sale every day + 1-2 in the middle of the week + 1-3 on weekends + publisher weekends + 3-4 minor site-wide sales a year + 2 major site-wide sales a year where the vast majority of games go on sale; PSN I don't have a link ready to give you but it's generally around a dozen games a month plus publisher events).

wsippel

Banned
So...

The Star Wars tables are coming to Wii U. They didn't put it in the press release because they'll be coming a little later, and Zen doesn't exactly know when.

And yes, Nintendo tables could be very nice. Really hope Zen and Nintendo can figure something out.

donny2112

Just finished my first two Devilish Trainings. Oh. My. Goodness. I love the "Achievements"!
It's a little certificate from Dr. Kawashima's University for reaching milestones like 2 Devilish Trainings in a day or scoring Level 7 or above in Devilish Pairs.
One difference from the demo is that getting 85% or higher in 3-back was worth a "20s" rating from Dr. Kawashima. Did that in the game, and it only gave a "30s." :( *pumps fist* Must try harder tomorrow. >:)

ahm998

Why GAF member not prepared good letter to Nintendo to take care of Digital Release ?

If nintendo really like their fan they should take quick action.

NeoRausch

So...

the start wars tables are coming to Wiiu. it was confirmed a few days ago by the community manager from Zen Barbie.

her NNID: Barbiebobomb

cool NNID BTW.

Refyref

I will likely be buying an NA 3DS XL soon, and I have a few questions.

Is there anyway to buy eShop prepaid cards on the internet and have the code emailed to you, without too much of a mark-up? Play-Asia does that for 9$, which is a bit too high.
Is there any service that lets you get an address that you can use for Club Nintendo despite not living in NA? I'd like to get the free VC games they have there, and am not interested in getting the physical stuff they offer.

Adamator

I downloaded Brain age last night, my first retail game download and it crashes as soon as it gets to the title screen. This isn't the first time I've had trouble with a downloaded game from the eShop. I don't know if it's my SD card or what. I got an 8 Gig SDHC in my system. Anyone else have a problem like this?

BriBri

I downloaded Brain age last night, my first retail game download and it crashes as soon as it gets to the title screen. This isn't the first time I've had trouble with a downloaded game from the eShop. I don't know if it's my SD card or what. I got an 8 Gig SDHC in my system. Anyone else have a problem like this?
I've never had any problem whatsoever so maybe your SD card?

Edit:- here are the Japanese eShop charts week six...

1. (1) Animal Crossing: New Leaf
2. (--) Dragon Quest VII
3. (2) Charisou DX
4. (3) Pokémon AR Searcher
5. (4) Super Mario Bros. 3
6. (5) Puyo Puyo! Mini Version
7. (7) 10 Hyō Sō
8. (6) Super Mario Bros.
9. (14) Nazo No Mini Game
10. (12) Puyo Puyo Game Gear
11. (8) Denpa Ningen no RPG 2
12. (9) Dragon Quest X: Odekake Moshasu de Battle
13. (17) Touch Battle Tank 3D
14. (--) Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask+
15. (20) SIMPLE DL series Vol.7 THE Cheating boyfriend-assault
16. (10) Fantasy Life
17. (11) Riki Densetsu
18. (16) 3D Classics Kirby’s Dreamland
19. (--) peakvox: Mew Mew Train
20. (13) BlazBlue

That's the MSRP issue, yes, but in terms of regular sales, I'd be happy to revisit this a year from now, but I am extremely confident there will be fewer games put on Wii U than on XBLA/PSN (This is an average week of sales in XBLA; Steam has 1 game on sale every day + 1-2 in the middle of the week + 1-3 on weekends + publisher weekends + 3-4 minor site-wide sales a year + 2 major site-wide sales a year where the vast majority of games go on sale; PSN I don't have a link ready to give you but it's generally around a dozen games a month plus publisher events).
That's true, but I'd also say it's a byproduct of the amount if content on each store. It's a bit apples/oranges to be comparing years old long matured storefronts/platforms like Steam, XBLA or PSN to the nearly brand new Wii U eShop. What did XBLA look like in 2006? PSN in 2007? Hell, even Steam in 2003? Wii U eShop isn't even 3 months old with less than 40 games in any region and we've already seen multiple sales, even multiple sales or reductions for some games. This is an issue of maturity more than it is infrastructure imo.

A different question though, do you expect more Durango or Orbis digital content to go on sale than Wii U in the next year or two?

Hale-XF11

I noticed with my 3DS that if there's even the slightest little bit of debris in the SD card slot or on the SD card itself, the system will malfunction. If that's not the problem, then I would maybe try a different SD card.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That's true, but I'd also say it's a byproduct of the amount if content on each store. It's a bit apples/oranges to be comparing years old long matured storefronts/platforms like Steam, XBLA or PSN to the nearly brand new Wii U eShop. What did XBLA look like in 2006? PSN in 2007?

Nintendo doesn't get a pass because they were crummy at infrastructure last gen and so this gen starts as a do-over for them. I do suspect it's the case that their sales infrastructure will get better over the course of the gen, both because there'll be more content and because Nintendo will be under increasing pressure to compete with others by taking an active role in promoting sales. That being said, Trine 2 was $3.75 on Steam this Christmas. So there's that.

But this isn't really anything to do with my point. My point isn't that Nintendo won't be competitive years from now, it's that they're not competitive now.

Hell, even Steam in 2003?

Steam didn't sell games in 2003.

A different question though, do you expect more Durango or Orbis digital content to go on sale than Wii U in the next year or two?

Yes, regardless of whether or not there's any BC. The reason why I know this is that, first of all, Sony offers PS+ which is a huge moneymaker for them, and it only has any value because they're able to have deep game sales and more importantly make games available for free. Second, Microsoft has launched WP7 after XBLA, and it had a weekly featured sale pretty much since the beginning.

Yes, regardless of whether or not there's any BC. The reason why I know this is that, first of all, Sony offers PS+ which is a huge moneymaker for them, and it only has any value because they're able to have deep game sales and more importantly make games available for free. Second, Microsoft has launched WP7 after XBLA, and it had a weekly featured sale pretty much since the beginning.

That and we pretty much already got confirmation (via the Twisted Pixel developer tweet) that at least Microsoft won't be signing retailer pricing agreements again this coming gen. I doubt Sony will either.

Nintendo doesn't get a pass because they were crummy at infrastructure last gen and so this gen starts as a do-over for them. I do suspect it's the case that their sales infrastructure will get better over the course of the gen, both because there'll be more content and because Nintendo will be under increasing pressure to compete with others by taking an active role in promoting sales. That being said, Trine 2 was $3.75 on Steam this Christmas. So there's that.

But this isn't really anything to do with my point. My point isn't that Nintendo won't be competitive years from now, it's that they're not competitive now.
I'm not saying Nintendo deserves "a pass", I just feel like the standard for "competitive" would be basically impossible for the eShop to reach based on amount of content right now. How would that be a realistic expectation?

I agree this wouldn't have been as much of an issue had Nintendo better planned/integrated the Wii Shop (and Wii backwards compatibility) though. I do think digital only publishers like Frozenbyte or Tomorrow Corp have taken pretty good advantage of price control/sales, but I'd really like to see more large retail publishers like EA, WB or others do more with their digital versions. Nintendo's included in that too, though the VC 30¢ promotion is pretty nice.

Steam didn't sell games in 2003.
Sorry, 2006-ish?

Well, PS+ took nearly a year to launch for Vita (and is heavily reliant on PSP/PS1 content), so I'm hesitant to really throw that out as a certainty for Orbis in the early goings. I'd actually say the ability for Orbis or Durango to outdo Wii U really hinges on their ability to offer old content, which means their degree of backwards compatibility.

Nintendo just seems against sales on a fundamental level. They rarely do sales and keep their games at full price (Ocarina of Time 3D is still $40...). You can say the eShop gives publisher price controls but if the platform holder isn't going to promote sales or lead by example what the point. Chasing Aurora is on sale right now, I doubt anyone knows

Steam turned sales into an event. Sony and MS regularly promote sales and bundle them up to give more exposure (13 for 13 for example). Nintendo might give you a small banner on the eshop

I mean if that's Nintendo's philosophy that's cool. Just don't expect me to spend much time or money in your ecosystem

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Both other console dd stores have regular sales on full games. The MSRP issue is still a problem, just as it is with Steam, but let's not pretend everything is equal.

Really? I think XBL Is the worst easily, since it locks you out of 99% of the sales unless you have a Gold sub.
Also I don't think he meant Nintendo should get a free pass for their shitty sales ecosystem, but simply that there's not enough content yet to promote aggressive discounts on a large scale.
Let's compare what the percentage is for discounts versus available library, I think that would paint a way more honest picture.

PSN handles it well.

Nintendo just seems against sales on a fundamental level. They rarely do sales and keep their games at full price (Ocarina of Time 3D is still $40...). You can say the eShop gives publisher price controls but if the platform holder isn't going to promote sales or lead by example what the point. Chasing Aurora is on sale right now, I doubt anyone knows

Steam turned sales into an event. Sony and MS regularly promote sales and bundle them up to give more exposure (13 for 13 for example). Nintendo might give you a small banner on the eshop

I mean if that's Nintendo's philosophy that's cool. Just don't expect me to spend much time or money in your ecosystem

Agreed. It's similar to their ridiculous views on game demos.

jgkspsx

Really? I think XBL Is the worst easily, since it locks you out of 99% of the sales unless you have a Gold sub.
And almost everyone has a gold sub, and hardly anyone pays full price for gold anyway. I thought this particular battle was over. I like PS+ better, but I've just never been able to get annoyed about Gold.

I would gladly pay Nintendo $35 a year if it meant hundreds of dollars in savings over the life of my consoles.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
One of Nintendo's problems with digital sales is they've yet to establish a digital "player's choice" line.

I would be fine with Nintendo not discounting premium but niche games - like Fire Emblem, or putting Xenoblade up for digital download at $50. But they need a digital greatest hits line for the big sellers like Mario Kart and Zelda.

Of course, one would assume that once there is a Wii U's players choice line-up, the digital prices will be lowered to reflect the new retail SKUs. Same with a 3DS Players Choice line. Nintendo needs to stop the old practice of waiting until a platform is in its final year before doing that however. Biggest problem there.

zroid

Banned
Agreed. It's similar to their ridiculous views on game demos.

That seems to be changing, luckily, at least for certain types of games. I doubt we'll be seeing demos for Mario and Zelda any time soon, but examples as recent as Brain Age 3DS and Fire Emblem have shown they aren't opposed to them as they once were.

That never happened. Most sales are open to everyone. There are some special Gold member sales, though. One thing Microsoft is good at is making money. They encourage as many people as possible to buy games. On sale or otherwise. Silver or Gold.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
There are a few games I'm waiting to drop into the $20 retail range before picking them up, but if there were actually digital sales for them around the $30 mark, that would be enough incentive for me to purchase them. At least.. it seems.. like sales are more in the hands of the developers now?

Is anyone else having problems with the e-shop? Been downloading Assassin's Creed 3 since 1am this morning. It's currently 9:03 pm and I'm only 75% complete with 11hours 20min to go.

I've reset my modem, connected with an ethernet cable and wifi both. This is ridiculous.

It's definitely not my connection.

GulAtiCa

But it says it's on sale on front of the eShop. For last few weeks they had a section that mentioned the sales. Not to mention that there has already been a price drop on a game.

They certainly have some catching up to do, but certainly Wii U eShop getting better all the time. (unlike 3DS eShop in NA with no sales!)

dwu8991

Banned

Well they are having Super Metroid and F-Zero for only 30 CENTS and you get to play both on the gamepad itself !!!

That's cheaper than even many of the best selling Steam sales

On top of that, Nintendo has regular sales of over 30% of many of the most popular selling games including VC titles

As a premium Nintendo Wii U, you also get an additional 10% credit back on digital purchases

Add it all up and that's worth over $100 savings in value right there !

New rewards are up!

Bird & Beans - 3DS - 100 pts
Metal Torrent - 3DS - 150 pts
Paper Mario - Wii - 200 pts
Kirby Super Star - Wii - 150 pts

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Paper Mario and Super Star are excellent. I don't know about the DSiWare titles, but I wish they were offering some 3DS titles instead.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
On top of that, Nintendo has regular sales of over 30% of many of the most popular selling games including VC titles
Do you have access to a secret shop that no one else does or something? Nintendo doesn't have anything that bears the vaguest resemblance to 'regular sales' on mine.

Do you have access to a secret shop that no one else does or something? Nintendo doesn't have anything that bears the vaguest resemblance to 'regular sales' on mine.
He might mean 3DS eShop. It's had quite a few sales at this point, even on 1st party/VC stuff.

The Wii U Deluxe Digital Promotion and Club Nintendo circulating rewards are also inclusive of 1st party stuff.

Top Bottom