• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2013

PhantomR

Banned
Nintendo doesn't get a pass because they were crummy at infrastructure last gen and so this gen starts as a do-over for them. I do suspect it's the case that their sales infrastructure will get better over the course of the gen, both because there'll be more content and because Nintendo will be under increasing pressure to compete with others by taking an active role in promoting sales. That being said, Trine 2 was $3.75 on Steam this Christmas. So there's that.

Erm, ok. If you don't think the price is competitive, why don't you ask the Frozenbyte guys? All devs control the price of their games on the eShop and also set sales (like they already did for Trine 2) at their own discretion. That would be foolish for Nintendo to step in and force developers to de-value their own software "just because". Nintendo is doing well to be hands off here and let devs handle their content the way they see fit.

beje

Banned
Do you have access to a secret shop that no one else does or something? Nintendo doesn't have anything that bears the vaguest resemblance to 'regular sales' on mine.

They do sales from time to time in the european 3DS eShop (not retail games though), and they usually include first party stuff when it happens.

Refyref

I wonder, if developers set the price and and sales on the Wii U, maybe they aren't doing Steam level sales because they know the audience isn't expecting them And therefore get an increase of sales even at low discounts?

I will likely be buying an NA 3DS XL soon, and I have a few questions.

Is there anyway to buy eShop prepaid cards on the internet and have the code emailed to you, without too much of a mark-up? Play-Asia does that for 9$, which is a bit too high.
Is there any service that lets you get an address that you can use for Club Nintendo despite not living in NA? I'd like to get the free VC games they have there, and am not interested in getting the physical stuff they offer.

Anyone, please?

vdlow

I wonder, if developers set the price and and sales on the Wii U, maybe they aren't doing Steam level sales because they know the audience isn't expecting them And therefore get an increase of sales even at low discounts?

Anyone, please?

Maximus Cards sells eShop credit, but they still charge you some extra dollars.

http://www.maximuscards.com/index.php/itempage/index?cat=4

Regarding Club Nintendo, I'm from Brazil and used a random US address. (My friends used the Sony US address lol) I can redeem the downloadable games without any problem. =)

Refyref

Ask in the Club Nintendo thread. There are services for the CN address, but the guys there would be better equipped to answer your questions.

OK, I'll ask there tomorrow.

Maximus Cards sells eShop credit, but they still charge you some extra dollars.

http://www.maximuscards.com/index.php/itempage/index?cat=4

Regarding Club Nintendo, I'm from Brazil and used a random US address. (My friends used the Sony US address lol) I can redeem the downloadable games without any problem. =)

The markup for the 50$ card isn't really different from Play-Asia's. It does seems useful if I want a 20$ card, though.

Roto13

Apparently you can get download codes for Fire Emblem at EB Games in CAnada. And probably at GameStop in the US.

This is unrelated to the above post. I'm just saying. :p There aren't a lot of download codes at retail.

donny2112

Apparently you can get download codes for Fire Emblem at EB Games in CAnada. And probably at GameStop in the US.

This is unrelated to the above post. I'm just saying. :p There aren't a lot of download codes at retail.

When download codes were first announced, I really liked the idea. I hoped to be able to get games in DL form but still on sale. However they are so rare in retail that that dream went out the window. :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
When download codes were first announced, I really liked the idea. I hoped to be able to get games in DL form but still on sale. However they are so rare in retail that that dream went out the window. :(

This is mostly my feelings as well. Thankfully I've managed to turn most of my Futureshop trade-in deals into gift cards and thus, points for my 3DS and Wii U. Which will soon become digital copies of Monster Hunter.

GulAtiCa

NOA prob makes a few different ones each year it seems. Last year I saw Pushmo and Zelda: LA last year.

JavyOO7

Nintendo should do more sales. There should be sales every week. And they actually have some pretty good software to boot for their eShops but are almost embarrassed to admit they are there.

I feel tough that first before they put any more sales that they should fix their account system. It can't be that hard to mimic Steam's account system.

Then Nintendo should migrate all of their Wii VC and WiiWare stuff to the Wii U eShop.

After that just have sales every week. Who wouldn't buy SM3DL for 20 bucks in a special weekend offer? Who wouldn't buy Pushmo/Crashmo bundle for 10 bucks in a daily sale? Or an indie special of Cave Story / Nightsky / VVVVVV or etc for 10 bucks? Blah.

Anyway, Runner2 is almost here so everyone should buy that. Hell, why not just remodel the front page of the Wii U eShop for that week so that when Runner2 is out, everyone knows it because its on one giant freaking banner in the front page of that shop........

So I have 900 coins on my Club Nintendo account, I only ever use them to claim on downloadable games mainly due to being in Australia and I imagine it is a pain to organise with someone to ship the prizes out my way. So I'm looking at Birds N Beans and I'm not sure, its only 100 coins so I'm somewhat tempted by it. Anyone yay or nay it?

BooJoh

So I have 900 coins on my Club Nintendo account, I only ever use them to claim on downloadable games mainly due to being in Australia and I imagine it is a pain to organise with someone to ship the prizes out my way. So I'm looking at Birds N Beans and I'm not sure, its only 100 coins so I'm somewhat tempted by it. Anyone yay or nay it?

If you've played the first WarioWare, it's the same game that's unlockable in that as Pyoro and Pyoro 2. It's decent fun but just a high score game, and I think most would agree that $2 isn't exactly worth 100 coins.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
That never happened. Most sales are open to everyone. There are some special Gold member sales, though. One thing Microsoft is good at is making money. They encourage as many people as possible to buy games. On sale or otherwise. Silver or Gold.

Never happened? LOL!
I had to make a "fake" (meaning I won't use it to play) new gamertag on my console to get 1 month of gold for free (you can do 3 afaik and then it stops) and be able to get Forza 3 DLC for a reduced price and later had to create another one to get Hard Corps Uprising for 600 points and some other stuff... I still have 100 points left (ugh) on each account. As a Silver member I was locked out, same for GeoWars2 at 400points and Guwange at 600 points.

Haven't had a problem getting sales as a Silver member. Just have to wait more, usually. Maybe it was different earlier in the generation, though.

Uprising wasn't really that long ago. Maybe last year, probably less?

And almost everyone has a gold sub, and hardly anyone pays full price for gold anyway. I thought this particular battle was over. I like PS+ better, but I've just never been able to get annoyed about Gold.

I would gladly pay Nintendo $35 a year if it meant hundreds of dollars in savings over the life of my consoles.

I see no value in Gold really, I had a sub for a couple of years only thanks to a GAF's member generousity (remember the "1 month codes for free" exploit?), good for you if you do, but where are this hundreds of dollars I can save if I sub to Gold you speak of?
I also don't see how the fact you hardly pay full price for a Gold sub is relevant to this discussion, at all.

donny2112

Uprising wasn't really that long ago. Maybe last year, probably less?

http://xbldb.com/offers/003-0f4

Dropped to 600 points in mid-2011 and early-2012 for Silver members for a week each. Guess I should've said that it takes longer, and you have to check every week for the new sales to catch them. For me, AC:Revelations DLC was on sale as a Gold, and then went on sale again closer to November for Silver. You can catch the sales as a Silver member, but you just have to be on top of it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Does anyone know if Kirby Super Star is worth 150 coins?

If you've ever liked a Kirby game, you'll definitely love this one. The whole package is very robust, and pretty experimental. Great Cave Offensive in and of itself is an excellent game. It was very ahead of its time. I think most people would feel it's a great value for 150 coins.

Leflus

Never happened? LOL!
but where are this hundreds of dollars I can save if I sub to Gold you speak of?
Heh. You said it yourself. 99% of the sales on Live are apparently locked behind XBL Gold. :p

You obviously haven't been paying attention to the sales on XBL. Deal of Week requires Gold, but there's a lot of other sales that don't.
MS' christmas sale last year, which was open to everyone, shits on pretty much every eShop sale Nintendo has ever done.

Nintendo has a long way to go before they can be compared with Microsoft or Sony in this area.

Gravijah

If you've ever liked a Kirby game, you'll definitely love this one. The whole package is very robust, and pretty experimental. Great Cave Offensive in and of itself is an excellent game. It was very ahead of its time. I think most people would feel it's a great value for 150 coins.

The slowdown might get to some people, though I don't really mind it.

Heh. You said it yourself. 99% of the sales on Live are apparently locked behind XBL Gold. :p

You obviously haven't been paying attention to the sales on XBL. Deal of Week requires Gold, but there's a lot of other sales that don't.
MS' christmas sale last year, which was open to everyone, shits on pretty much every eShop sale Nintendo has ever done.

Nintendo has a long way to go before they can be compared with Microsoft or Sony in this area.

Abd i bought nothing from that MS sale ...

jgkspsx

If you already own everything worth buying on XBLA, it's a little unfair to complain about not buying things during sales.

Everybody should get Pyoro 1/2 (Bird and Beans). Nobody should use CN coins on it. It's $2.

PhantomR

Banned
Why can't I download DS games off the eShop? I swear Nintendo is just fucking retarded.

garycoleman-wtf.gif

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, I bought last week Bloody Vampire. Is a cute little Metroidvania. A surprising amount of content too. Combat isn't very good, but I have been enjoying it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why can't I download DS games off the eShop? I swear Nintendo is just fucking retarded.
I think "really fucking slow" is the appropriate term you're looking for, but I agree with the sentiment.

Let's start with GBA games and work our way from there.

I want to use CN points to get VC games that I think will be put up on the Wii U eShop so that I only have to pay $1-$1.50 and a couple hundred CN points to get them playable on the gamepad.

If they put them up in groups, I'd think Kirby Super Star would be a given, but who knows..

hongcha

I think "really fucking slow" is the appropriate term you're looking for, but I agree with the sentiment.

Let's start with GBA games and work our way from there.

Doesn't look like GBA games on the eshop are going to happen any time soon. DS games are super easy money, no emulation involved. Just pop the roms up on the shop and charge money for them. It's both hilarious and sad that Nintendo refuses the free money, and consequently gamers don't get what they want. Such is the recurrent story of Nintendo in 2013.

Wow, the US 3DS eShop listing for All Stars Racing Transformed apparently shows the game as being pushed back to March 29th instead of releasing today.

Wonder if it's to iron out the atrocious framerate I hear the EU 3DS release has.

zigg

Doesn't look like GBA games on the eshop are going to happen any time soon. DS games are super easy money, no emulation involved. Just pop the roms up on the shop and charge money for them.
I think you'd run up into an implementation detail here—the 3DS can indeed run DS games from DS Game Cards, but can only run downloaded DSi games from a reserved area of internal Flash (not the SD!), which is actually sized exactly as big as a DSi's internal Flash was.

So you can port some games to DSiWare, then do it that way—in fact, some third parties have done exactly this—but no, it's not a straight ROM dump, and also imposes size limitations that would likely cut out many of the games you probably want to play.

Refyref

As I thought, so just use the Canada eShop instead. Put in a random Canadian postal code and you can use your card just fine.

EDIT: Same goes for the Wii U.

Doesn't the Canadian eShop take tax? How much is it, then? I wonder if it will less or more than the markup for buying a prepaid card.

zroid

Banned
Doesn't the Canadian eShop take tax? How much is it, then? I wonder if it will less or more than the markup for buying a prepaid card.

It depends on which province you select, and 5% is the lowest. I live in Ontario (13%) and use Alberta (5%) to save monies. :p

Joonytoon

I'm in Singapore but I use the Brazil eShop (no taxes). The non-retail games seem to be slightly cheaper compared to the US eShop prices.

apotema

I live in Mexico and I use a Canadian (Alberta) account. They have a 5% tax over there and the exchange rate is slighty higher (just 1%). But it is still way better to pay $40.00 (+5% tax) than MXN$800 (which is like $60). The postal code I use is T1X 0L3

On PSN I use an american zip code from Oregon (no tax!!), since it accepts my AMEX

Small DL games are slightly cheaper in the Mexican eshop, but NO CLUB NINTENDO POINTS, so it's the same

Hope this helps

Sapiens

what? That doesn't make it retarded..

It's not retarded, but it IS hard to defend Nintendo's e-commerce policies.

Especially, NoA's brand of it. I know they dont want to flood the market, but as a customer, when I go to the eShop and see NOTHING that I want to buy, Nintendo is doing something wrong.

I mean, their back catalogue from GBA and DS begs to be exploited.

Some of the virtual console choices are mind boggling (as well as the prices).

Here's hoping Nintendo gets their shit together considering all the recent bad financial news.

The 3DS is such a marvelous little piece of tech...such a shame.

BriBri

It's not retarded, but it IS hard to defend Nintendo's e-commerce policies.

Especially, NoA's brand of it. I know they dont want to flood the market, but as a customer, when I go to the eShop and see NOTHING that I want to buy, Nintendo is doing something wrong.

I mean, their back catalogue from GBA and DS begs to be exploited.

Some of the virtual console choices are mind boggling (as well as the prices).

Here's hoping Nintendo gets their shit together considering all the recent bad financial news.
I'm half expecting we have to wait until the 3DS's successor until we see GBA and DS games on a portable Virtual Console.

Sapiens

I'm half expecting we have to wait until the 3DS's successor until we see GBA and DS games on a portable Virtual Console.

I know why Nintendo is hesitant about GBA (they want to fully emulate it, as opposed to using hardware, which is fine, but will just suck up more battery power - I can live without sleep mode for every game), but considering that there already DSiWare games available, Nintendo should really be thinking about getting their greatest hits out there.

3/4 of the content on the eShop is just shovel ware (or that's how it feels after browsing through it for a while).

As a consumer, I feel NoA has contempt for me.

They need to reevaluate their policies.

Less shitty videos, more games PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANT for better prices. 3.99 for balloon kid on Gameboy...

Stop drip feeding us the garbage, Nintendo.

I'm in Singapore but I use the Brazil eShop (no taxes). The non-retail games seem to be slightly cheaper compared to the US eShop prices.

Yeh, but full retail games are FAR more expensive. That's why I switched. I might as well just import them at the price they were going for on the Brazil shop.

Top Bottom