• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2013

Effect

Hmm. You know I still don't understand why these eShop press releases aren't blasted out via SpotPass to Wii U's and 3DS systems. Nintendo is fully capable of doing so. It was actually something they were capable of doing on the Wii with the Wii Connect 24 for the Wii Shop channel but they never did it. A completely wasted opportunity. That type of direct information certainly could have help sales I would think. It could help even now. It wouldn't even cost them anything save a few minutes for a person to prepare the message each week. I wonder who a request for this could be directed at?

zroid

Banned
Hmm. You know I still don't understand why these eShop press releases aren't blasted out via SpotPass to Wii U's and 3DS systems. Nintendo is fully capable of doing so. It was actually something they were capable of doing on the Wii with the Wii Connect 24 for the Wii Shop channel but they never did it. A completely wasted opportunity. That type of direct information certainly could have help sales I would think. It could help even now. It wouldn't even cost them anything save a few minutes for a person to prepare the message each week. I wonder who a request for this could be directed at?

I imagine they believe it would feel intrusive for everyone but those who would be keeping abreast of that information regardless. They're probably right.

Effect

I imagine they believe it would feel intrusive for everyone but those who would be keeping abreast of that information regardless. They're probably right.

They already allow you to opt-in and out of receiving commercial messages and advertisements when you are setting up your systems. They even had this option on the Wii when you entered the Nintendo channel I believe. So you don't have to receive something like this if you don't want to and the option can be changed anytime you wish in the settings.

zroid

Banned
They already allow you to opt-in and out of receiving commercial messages and advertisements when you are setting up your systems. They even had this option on the Wii when you entered the Nintendo channel I believe. So you don't have to receive something like this if you don't want to and the option can be changed anytime you wish in the settings.

I know, but those commercial messages are relatively mundane and infrequent. Getting blasted with a gigantic PR once a week would be understandably annoying for people who don't keep up-to-date with this stuff.

Effect

I know, but those commercial messages are relatively mundane and infrequent. Getting blasted with a gigantic PR once a week would be understandably annoying for people who don't keep up-to-date with this stuff.

I guess. They could always make it a separate option for those that do want the information delivered directly to them though. Maybe allow you to get informaton weekly or monthly. Still I just think it's wasted opportunity to drive more traffic to the eShop and to inform people in general about upcoming and recently released games on the eShop and at retail. Even advertising Nintendo Show 3D this way would be good.

zroid

Banned
I guess. They could always make it a separate option for those that do want the information delivered directly to them though. Maybe allow you to get informaton weekly or monthly. Still I just think it's wasted opportunity to drive more traffic to the eShop and to inform people in general about upcoming and recently released games on the eShop and at retail. Even advertising Nintendo Show 3D this way would be good.

Yeah, I was about to edit my last post suggesting something like an optional thing you can check, which just lists all the latest digital releases with links taking you to their info pages on the eShop. It wouldn't have to be an intrusive push notification, necessarily.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So MH3 demo this week yeah?

TWO DAYS!

tIAslyU.gif

When can we expect retail games to get pricecuts on the eShop? I wouldn't mind Batman on Wii U for 29.99 or something.

It's already happened on the 3DS in Europe with Ocarina being 50% off. I think a thread was just made about all Ubisoft titles being 30% off on the WiiU shop too.

From what I can tell, yeah. There's been no announcement for either as to what we're getting on Thursday. Looks like we'll also be getting a Castlevania: Mirror of Fate demo in both regions next week too.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Downloaded Wii Street U today. Is it supposed to take this long when you start it the first time? It's now been loading for almost an hour.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Downloaded Wii Street U today. Is it supposed to take this long when you start it the first time? It's now been loading for almost an hour.

Nope, should be 'instant'. I had problems with my install (at one point it was saying over 4 hours to install) and eventually I had to pull the power on the Wii U, since it crashed. Redownloaded and it installed fine.

Qurupeke

I think the games go up on the 20th of each month, and are taken down on the 21st of the following month

20, eh. And the amount of F-Zero downloads will be so massive that the internet will go down and the Sony presentation will not be livestreamed. It's all part of the plan.

backlot

Punchout is a great game and I'm glad it's part of this promotion but it is disappointing that we didn't get Earthbound.

zroid

Banned
So what are the chances that DK will be the "fixed" version? Not good, I suppose. :(

What a dick move it would be to literally withhold a fully functional, arcade perfect, already virtual consolified version of the game in favour of the inferior NES original. It's criminal.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I think the games go up on the 20th of each month, and the prices change on the 21st of the following month
edit: oops, that's wrong

the facts:

4KU79cY.png

I have nothing against Yoshi (which I own on the Game Boy and 3DS), but I would have loved Tetris Attack to take its place.
Or even Yoshi's Cookie

Davey Cakes

Punchout is a great game and I'm glad it's part of this promotion but it is disappointing that we didn't get Earthbound.
I wouldn't have thought we'd get Earthbound anyway. Nintendo is aware of the fans. If the game is ever to release in the US, it'll be the full VC price because Nintendo knows the fans will buy it.

I just wish they picked some other game besides Punch Out. I'd be happy with literally any other game.

zroid

Banned
I have nothing against Yoshi (which I own on the Game Boy and 3DS), but I would have loved Tetris Attack to take its place.
Or even Yoshi's Cookie

A VC release of Tetris Attack would make me so happy. :')

I always vastly preferred the Yoshi's Island theme to the Pokemon and generic themes since then.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Nope, should be 'instant'. I had problems with my install (at one point it was saying over 4 hours to install) and eventually I had to pull the power on the Wii U, since it crashed. Redownloaded and it installed fine.

Thanks. I restarted it, didn't help anything. I deleted all files and redownloaded it, didn't help either. Maybe it's some external problem (server issues or whatever). I will try it again tomorrow, if it doesn't work then, then I guess I just have to delete it.

Madao

I would take Fire Emblem over F-Zero...but it's not translated. Would've preferred a different game for sure though. Pilotwings!

wow man, that's harsh. i'd take F-Zero over any of the other games except SM and Kirby. Fire Emblem could replace any of those others before F-Zero since the series needs all the help it can get to stay a bit relevant.

*this post is brought to you by a distressed F-Zero fan who has been waiting for a new game for 9 years*

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I would take translated FE over any game on there including Earthbound and even Super Metroid.

I'd take untranslated FE over every game except Earthbound and Super Metroid.

I wouldn't have thought we'd get Earthbound anyway. Nintendo is aware of the fans. If the game is ever to release in the US, it'll be the full VC price because Nintendo knows the fans will buy it.

I just wish they picked some other game besides Punch Out. I'd be happy with literally any other game.

Agreed. If anything they'll release it as a 3DS compilation and charge full retail price. I love Nintendo, but they're as greedy as any other big company.

We should at least get an equivalent SNES game. Why not Super Mario RPG?

Thanks to both, I was really paranoid now. It seems somebody in other forums missed the "download again the bundled game" step and FUD about the game being lost started to spread.

Edit: have any of you actually done it? Just to have the definitive proof.

I've done this with Mario 3D Land and it worked fine.

serplux

Agreed. If anything they'll release it as a 3DS compilation and charge full retail price. I love Nintendo, but they're as greedy as any other big company.

We should at least get an equivalent SNES game. Why not Super Mario RPG?

We could dream that they were actually planning on releasing a full 3D remake...and they could have done A Link to the Past instead.

We could dream that they were actually planning on releasing a full 3D remake...and they could have done A Link to the Past instead.

A straight port like GBA? I think that would be pretty cheap to push on the 3DS. A full 3D remake would be nice, but I really doubt it's what's going on. I don't suppose the Earthbound JP VC release has to do with what the creator was talking about on Twitter?

serplux

A straight port like GBA? I think that would be pretty cheap to push on the 3DS. A full 3D remake would be nice, but I really doubt it's what's going on. I don't suppose the Earthbound JP VC release has to do with what the creator was talking about on Twitter?

Itoi said that he was working on some sort of rerelease, and I this might be it. I hope they give the franchise to Camelot, since Itoi is too burnt out on it (still).

I think the games go up on the 20th of each month, and the prices change on the 21st of the following month
edit: oops, that's wrong

the facts:

4KU79cY.png

Here I come into this thread looking for 3DS announcements and see this. Needless to say, my heart skipped a beat when I saw Super Metroid :lol
;_;

GRW810

This. So much this. They have this wonderful SpotPass service and they don't even use it to its full potential. The weekly release listing in eShop news should also automatically be sent to every online 3DS every week (with an option to opt out).

I have friends with a 3DS who never, ever go into the eShop. I literally had to plead with my best friend to download Pullblox because she just had no intention of bothering with the eShop. She loves the game, but why I'm promoting Nintendo downloads more than Nintendo is beyond me.

The eShop is a huge leap from post Nintendo digital offerings, there is a lot of fantastic content on there and the services are attracting mute and more developers. They seem to be getting it, at last, and making a push this gen by embracing F2P, sales, patches, demoes, etc. But the thought that a fantastic little game like Gunman Clive or Mutant Mudds is missing out on a few more sales is depressing.

M3d10n

The worst is that they actually did it a couple times. I think the Mario Kart 7 update was pushed via an eShop notification.

Top Bottom