• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - March 2013

jgkspsx

Is it me, or is the first "real" level in Harmoknight (with the giant enemy crab barrels) pretty tough? The best I scored on it was "Nice."

HYDE

Banned
It's a rhythm platformer game sort of like Bit.Trip Runner. It's developed by GameFreak who make Pokemon, Drill Dozer, Pulseman, Mario&Wario, and Yoshi.

Fixed for the unaware...because more Sonic, Mega Man, and platformer fans need to know that these other games should also be in their collection.

What kind of game is HarmoKnight anyway and why should I be excited? Demo's not out here, damn.
Is it published by Nintendo but who are the devs?

If you like any of the Bit.Trip Runner games you'll like this as it's the same. But it has its own Nintendo charm, which goes a long way. I was blue balled by the intro though. It has this lush 3D Mario 64-esque world displayed right in front of you but of course it's just window dressing. I would love for the game to be a full 3D platform similar to the title screen.

zroid

Banned
If you like any of the Bit.Trip Runner games you'll like this as it's the same. But it has its own Nintendo charm, which goes a long way. I was blue balled by the intro though. It has this lush 3D Mario 64-esque world displayed right in front of you but of course it's just window dressing. I would love for the game to be a full 3D platform similar to the title screen.

I think it's also worth pointing out that HarmoKnight is much more of a "true" rhythm game than BTR. Precise rhythmic timing is absolutely required to achieve the best scores.

I actually wasn't aware of how much this was the case until trying out the demo.

jgkspsx

GET CASTLEVANIA JUDGMENT

I never bought Castlevania Judgment, poor IGA :(

Bit Trip Runner feels like making music. Harmoknight feels like a rhythm game. Both have their virtues, and they're similar, but it's a different feeling.

I'm working myself through the Mario/Wario Land games from VC and they're still awesome.

Started with the first one and liked it for the most part. Koopas exploding is obviously bullshit but the controls are so tight, can't believe I'm playing a GB game. I'm not sure how far I made it when I was a kid, I doubt it was further than World 2 since it wasn't even my copy but I finished it this time around.

6 Golden Coins now this is the shit, feels like Super Mario World on a GB. Love it.

serplux

Slashear, some sort of beat-em-up game, has Wii U development as a stretch goal.

Screens:

06e6b8bfacee951ff4a8d8e0081cd170_large.jpg

e0b804e75a67d56fb5d9169747da4f06_large.jpg

1a093b35a93848108ad22032bf8f4a3b_large.jpg

Crap, I indeed meant Mirror of Fate. No idea where that came from.

Check out the OT to get a feel for if you'd like it. Those that love its combat system and its presentation loved it. Those who expected an igavania didn't. Or download both demos and decide for yourself!

Edit: Yuzo, you're really stretching the definition of shovelware. You may not like it, but it is not remotely shovelware

Check out the OT to get a feel for if you'd like it. Those that love its combat system and its presentation loved it. Those who expected an igavania didn't. Or download both demos and decide for yourself!

I'm really enjoying Dawn of Sorrow at the moment, but I liked the presentation and the combat somewhat when I played the demo. I might wait for it to drop in price a little.

I'm really enjoying Dawn of Sorrow at the moment, but I liked the presentation and the combat somewhat when I played the demo. I might wait for it to drop in price a little.

The demo actually featured the worst boss in the game, some of the bosses are downright amazing. The combat system also possesses a lot more depth than was shown in the demo. So yeah, you should consider it, don't listen to anyone calling it outright crap :)

The demo actually featured the worst boss in the game, some of the bosses are downright amazing. The combat system also possesses a lot more depth than was shown in the demo. So yeah, you should consider it, don't listen to anyone calling it outright crap :)

The floaty jumping is what gets me. Though I've learnt with certain 3DS games to distrust reviews. Kid Icarus in particular. Also, Monster Hunter was okay, but I don't see myself clicking with that sort of gameplay style. It's very clunky, and I won't be able to take advantage of the multiplayer.

Guess I answered my own question here really.

Boney

Banned
The floaty jumping is what gets me. Though I've learnt with certain 3DS games to distrust reviews. Kid Icarus in particular. Also, Monster Hunter was okay, but I don't see myself clicking with that sort of gameplay style. It's very clunky, and I won't be able to take advantage of the multiplayer.

But you actually do want Mon Hun though. Single player is still gonna be the bees knees.

You'll probably get used to the floaty jump. Its really a value proposition between the two. Castlevania is mostly linear with light exploration and backtracking elements, but its a really tight 11ish hour experience. Monster hunter has a bit of a learning curve (one that's even harder to get adjusted to without friends to play with) but after you're initiated it'll provide more hours of fun than most other games you'll play. But it would be better to have multiplayer, so it might be better to get the Wii u version if that's an option :/

BooJoh

As someone whose first impression of the Mirror of Fate demo was that of absolute disdain for the death of 2D Castlevania, here are my impressions of the full game:

It's certainly nothing like any other Castlevania... except Lords of Shadow, because it plays more or less exactly like that but in 2D with some platforming (way more platforming in the full game than the demo suggests.) Since it has GoW-style combat it's really different, but objectively it's actually a pretty cool game. The story is interesting, there's a few neat puzzles in there, I'm finding the game overall engaging, and I'm really enjoying it.

On the other hand, as someone who's spent a lot of time with MH both solo and co-op, I have to say once MH clicks, it'll provide many, many, many more hours of entertainment. As you get used to the game the "clunkiness" starts to feel more like a natural weightiness to your equipment (which is honestly what it is) and taking down a large monster is immensely satisfying.

If you're going to buy one and wait for a bargain on the other, I'd say wait for a bargain on Castlevania.

vdlow

I will probably play Mirror of Fate without playing Lords of Shadow before. Will I be totally lost in the story?

I love Runner. It's not the same. Timing for hits is too precise.

BooJoh

I will probably play Mirror of Fate without playing Lords of Shadow before. Will I be totally lost in the story?

I haven't played all the way through LoS yet and I'm enjoying MoF just fine, but the entire plot revolves around a huge spoiler from the end of LoS, so if you haven't played through LoS or seen the LoS2 trailer, you'll have to decide for yourself if you care about having the LoS ending spoiled if you ever plan to play it.

newfire01

Neo Member
I really suck at Harmo Knight... couldn't beat the boss after 4 tries. Still really enjoy it though!
My backlog is building up but I can't wait to purchase this, plus Ketzal's Corridors and Mutant Mudds while they're on sale. Also need to start Crashmo again (only did the tutorial levels and after failing at the first proper puzzle I started doing the extra training levels).

Really hoping to find time to play all these before my copy of Luigi's Mansion arrives!

zychi

Banned
I just bought myself a new 32 gig sd card. Do I need to transfer anything before I stick the card in? I have a few games I got from club nintendo that I don't want to lose. I haven't purchased anything besides some Fire Emblem DLC and I plan on going mostly digital with my 3ds from here on out.

jgkspsx

Do you want a good game or do you want a mediocre Castlevania entry?
Judgment is a straight up fighting game. It's not a Castlevania entry per se, it's a spinoff. I'd love to hear the story of how that game came to exist. IGA Hail Mary? Or clueless Konami suit ultimatum?

M3d10n

I just bought myself a new 32 gig sd card. Do I need to transfer anything before I stick the card in? I have a few games I got from club nintendo that I don't want to lose. I haven't purchased anything besides some Fire Emblem DLC and I plan on going mostly digital with my 3ds from here on out.
Everything is stored in the card. Unless you want to lose your saves and redownload everything, copy the files from the old card to a PC then copy them to the new card, that's all.

Qurupeke

Question: I've heard that some people receive an email with the Downloads of the week in Europe. How can I receive that?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Would someone check to see if Super Turrican is available again? I got an e-mail alert that someone told "The Site of Moving Towards Nintendo" it was back up, but I haven't had a chance to check for myself.

I really suck at Harmo Knight... couldn't beat the boss after 4 tries. Still really enjoy it though!
My backlog is building up but I can't wait to purchase this, plus Ketzal's Corridors and Mutant Mudds while they're on sale. Also need to start Crashmo again (only did the tutorial levels and after failing at the first proper puzzle I started doing the extra training levels).

Really hoping to find time to play all these before my copy of Luigi's Mansion arrives!

I found that boss was the only one in the full game where the rhythm feels kinda off.

Top Bottom