• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - March 2013

Roto13

Whenever the next WiiU Nintendo Direct with Virtual Console info comes... if there if no mention of Earthbound for the west, then I will officially give up any hope for a rerelease outside Japan.

I wish I still had my fucking cartridge.

If you still have hope that Earthbound is going to get a western release at this point, you'll never lose it.

Drago

If you still have hope that Earthbound is going to get a western release at this point, you'll never lose it.
The fact that it never released on the Wii VC in Japan either, before today's WiiU release, gives me some hope that we could see it show up westward on the WiiU as well.

But my hope is speedily decreasing...

Earthbound's never gonna make it over. I made peace with that years ago.

Castlevania II and Donkey Kong III for JP 3DS VC next week.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Found this on Best Buy's site. New?

defGSyC.png

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/New+Sup...]/1000003167.p?id=1000003166&skuId=1000003167

You can't buy it yet ("Coming Soon"). Good news if retailers start carrying download codes. Better chances for deals.

L Thammy

Maybe I'm confused, but I thought Iwata discussed a plan like that before. The eShop is MSRP, the retailers can sell digital copies and still compete over prices. Retailers and customers are both happy.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Maybe I'm confused, but I thought Iwata discussed a plan like that before. The eShop is MSRP, the retailers can sell digital copies and still compete over prices. Retailers and customers are both happy.

He did, but the problem is they only do it for select games, and even then most retailers don't even bother to offer download versions, and those that do rarely discount them or even price-match them with the physical version.

Erethian

He did, but the problem is they only do it for select games, and even then most retailers don't even bother to offer download versions, and those that do rarely discount them or even price-match them with the physical version.

He was also talking about the Japanese market. POSA cards for retail titles in the US and Europe hasn't really started yet, until now, and Ubisoft said a while back they're looking into doing it.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate

He did, but that was over a year ago and I haven't seen it actually happen in the US until now.

Looks like Best Buy is also selling a few 3DS download codes. Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and Brain Age.

It's an early boss fight in Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Subsapce Emissary. Think it's the Mother 3 protagonist inside the boss robot.

If you're referring to the character in the frame, that's Porky/Pokey from EB/Mother 3, who is probably closer to the antagonist. ;) The protagonist is Lucas.

I wonder if these will qualify for digital deluxe promotion...

I think so, going by the Digital Deluxe site: https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe/

Earn approximately 10% back in Points on the price of digital games purchased and content downloaded from the Wii U Nintendo eShop. Points can be earned on both:
・Games purchased directly with a balance at the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.
・Wii U Games downloaded with a code purchased at a retailer, where available.

It's an early boss fight in Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Subsapce Emissary. Think it's the Mother 3 protagonist inside the boss robot.

I believe his point was that since he can't play Earthbound, he doesn't get the reference that Brawl is making. Is that robot with Porky inside actually in a Mother game, for example?

I wonder how this would work. For example, if I buy a download code from Best Buy on sale for $30, but the game is still listed as $60 on eShop, would I get full points or half points? I guess we'll find out eventually.

If it's listed as $59.99 on the shop, you should get 599 points. Same as if you use DDP codes on a $59.99 game. You always get the full amount of points.

donny2112

Looks like Best Buy is also selling a few 3DS download codes. Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and Brain Age.

Best Buy also had NSMB 2 download cards before. If they don't go below retail, though, it's pointless. :(

If you're referring to the character in the frame, that's Porky/Pokey from EB/Mother 3, who is probably closer to the antagonist. ;) The protagonist is Lucas.

Oh, thought it was Lucas. See what happens when Nintendo doesn't put out Mother 3 in the U.S.?!? We get the names wrong! Isn't that reason enough to officially bring Mother 3 to the U.S., NOA!?!
Earthbound was fun, but don't get the insane raving over it.

I believe his point was that since he can't play Earthbound, he doesn't get the reference that Brawl is making. Is that robot with Porky inside actually in a Mother game, for example?

Have no idea. Thought it was made just for Subspace Emissary. Doesn't seem to fit the theme of Earthbound, at least.

serplux

Oh, thought it was Lucas. See what happens when Nintendo doesn't put out Mother 3 in the U.S.?!? We get the names wrong! Isn't that reason enough to officially bring Mother 3 to the U.S., NOA!?!
Earthbound was fun, but don't get the insane raving over it.

Trilogy remake time? It's a bit odd that Nintendo doesn't even consider making a sequel to Mother 3, considering how well it sold (350k+, IIRC). It's not like they have that much bigger fish to fry, and if Itoi doesn't want to work on it, you could always just get another writer.

backlot

Trilogy remake time? It's a bit odd that Nintendo doesn't even consider making a sequel to Mother 3, considering how well it sold (350k+, IIRC). It's not like they have that much bigger fish to fry, and if Itoi doesn't want to work on it, you could always just get another writer.

The fans would know the difference.

serplux

The fans would know the difference.

It's not like a new writer wouldn't have Itoi's blessings, and Nintendo's had turnover for every other franchise they've ever created. What makes the Mother series so different? Nintendo has other very competent writers.

backlot

It's not like a new writer wouldn't have Itoi's blessings, and Nintendo's had turnover for every other franchise they've ever created. What makes the Mother series so different? Nintendo has other very competent writers.

I'm just saying that Itoi isn't as disposable as you make it sound.

serplux

I'm just saying that Itoi isn't as disposable as you make it sound.

It's never easy to replace the creator of a series. But he's come out and said, "Hey, I wish someone else would make another Mother game." And Nintendo's not even going to give it a shot? When the sales for the last entry were fairly good?

serplux

He did? Remember him saying that he wouldn't be making another Mother game, but don't recall him wishing to pass the reins to someone else.

Taken from an Iwata Asks:

ITOI: The feeling of, “I want a MOTHER 4 to be released!” is inside me, too. Even if it’s not something I need to do, I still feel that way. Still, there isn’t someone for me to watch over from afar anymore. If there were a fourth game, I’d want to be the player.

NAGATA: In other words, you wouldn’t mind if someone other than yourself made it?

ITOI: Right.

donny2112

Taken from an Iwata Asks:

ITOI: The feeling of, “I want a MOTHER 4 to be released!” is inside me, too. Even if it’s not something I need to do, I still feel that way. Still, there isn’t someone for me to watch over from afar anymore. If there were a fourth game, I’d want to be the player.

NAGATA: In other words, you wouldn’t mind if someone other than yourself made it?

ITOI: Right.

Oh, cool! Last I heard, he wasn't making it, and Nintendo wasn't really considering it without him. Now, at least, they have his okay to make one. Nice. :)

apotema

I'm having trouble with the eshop, I can't enter, it says "try again later", does anybody have the same problem?

Both Wii U and 3DS

TEJ

It might be my memory playing tricks on me, but I don't remember mega man 3 on the nes having as many technical issues as the 3DS port. There's constant slowdown, im being hit by enemies that are far away from the normal mega man hit box, and there are a lot of scrolling pixelation glitches.

it's a shame, because mega man 2 3DS vc works like a charm.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Okay.

I had a DSi. My girlfriend had a DSi. We bought a 3DS. We transferred her DSiWare to the 3DS. She bought a 3DS XL. We want to transfer her DSiWare from the 3DS to the XL without transferring the rest of the stuff on the 3DS? Is a selective transfer possible? (I doubt it, right?)

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay.

I had a DSi. My girlfriend had a DSi. We bought a 3DS. We transferred her DSiWare to the 3DS. She bought a 3DS XL. We want to transfer her DSiWare from the 3DS to the XL without transferring the rest of the stuff on the 3DS? Is a selective transfer possible? (I doubt it, right?)

Yes, you can do custom transfers, it's not an all-or-nothing situation.

My nostalgia prevents me from playing NES punch out without Mike Tyson.

This will never be a problem for me since there is no way in hell I will ever come close to reaching that fight. It might as well be called "Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Iwata" I'll never know the difference.

Jofamo

I'm dying to get in on some HarmoKnight demo action. When does the UK eShop update usually? It's running on 12:51pm here and still nothing.

Top Bottom