• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - March 2015

daydream

Banned
I was really, really looking forward to CQ2. Reading the reports (on the WiiU ver. especially) was one gigantic bummer, let me tell you. And there weren't even any particularly positive impressions of the game itself to balance out the half-baked state it was released in.

Chopper

Interesting. I'm in NA but I didn't get anything for Shuffle. I don't know if NOE is doing things any differently, but for us anything released after Jan 20th aren't eligible.
This is what it states on the discontinuation information page on our (UK) Club Nintendo site:

April 20th 2015: Termination of the registration of digital products downloaded from Nintendo eShop. Digital products obtained from Nintendo eShop after this date will no longer appear in the My Registered Games & Systems page in Club Nintendo. In addition, surveys for download software titles will no longer be available.

So, I guess all the games I bought this week should turn up eventually. I'm unreasonably annoyed that it's taking so long.

maxcriden

My god, Costume Quest 2 on Wii U is such a mess.

That is frustrating and very maddening. Sorry to hear it, man. You know, this is the kind of instance for which digital refunds should be a thing. (Also, just in general, I think it's weird that CQ1 wasn't made available before CQ2--see also: Mass Effect (?! the trilogy would have made much more sense to release!) and Trine until just recently.)

Goody

Anyway, what Nintendo games are you guys playing this weekend?
Majora's Mask 3D while laying in bed hopefully. Same way I played most of the N64 game. I've got some stuff to accomplish this weekend, but it's been great replaying this. When this came out I was in 8th grade and now I'm an 8th grade teacher. I've never experienced this kind of nostalgia. I might squeeze in some VC Breath of Fire too, which I also played when I was in middle school.

terrisus

Majora's Mask 3D while laying in bed hopefully. Same way I played most of the N64 game. I've got some stuff to accomplish this weekend, but it's been great replaying this. When this came out I was in 8th grade and now I'm an 8th grade teacher. I've never experienced this kind of nostalgia. I might squeeze in some VC Breath of Fire too, which I also played when I was in middle school.

Well, darn...

When Majora's Mask came out, I was in my last year of high school.
When Majora's Mask 3D came out, I have a nice-looking Master's in Education degree sitting on my wall, that I got 6 years ago, and have never used, since no one wanted to hire me >.>

terrisus

Actually, the year after Majora's Mask came out, I made this, at a summer workshop at DigiPen:

gunguy.jpg

Geeze, was that really 14 years ago?...
Time flies =(

TheMoon

I was really, really looking forward to CQ2. Reading the reports (on the WiiU ver. especially) was one gigantic bummer, let me tell you. And there weren't even any particularly positive impressions of the game itself to balance out the half-baked state it was released in.

I could deal with it fine if the framerate didn't just get worse after I wrote that post. And not even in the freeroam section but the battles. You might say that's not too bad in a turn-based game but since it uses those Mario RPG-style action prompts, sub-15fps during the animation that has time sensitive button prompt is just unacceptable. I've managed to account for it by now and just blindly press "by feel."

The game itself is fine, though. Got nothing bad to say about it really. It's an improved version of what the first game was given that you now have the rollerskates all the time with all characters. It's funny, people have thrown the words "atrocious port" at perfectly playable and hardly impacted versions of the Batman and AssCreed games among others but CQ2 really is something I would consider an atrocious port. Especially since it makes absolutely zero use of any Wii U-specific features. Nothing. That's just insane. Even just an easy costume swap touch UI would've been a fantastic addition. Or the menus on the GamePad at all times. Such obvious things. But I guess their budget was tiny and they had to rush it all out in time for Halloween that made this all impossible. Such a bummer.

That is frustrating and very maddening. Sorry to hear it, man. You know, this is the kind of instance for which digital refunds should be a thing. (Also, just in general, I think it's weird that CQ1 wasn't made available before CQ2--see also: Mass Effect (?! the trilogy would have made much more sense to release!) and Trine until just recently.)

With CQ1 it doesn't surprise or bother me. Can't expect every predecessor to a new game to be brought to a new platform with a sequel. Trine 1 I find weird that they're doing it at all since I consider Trine to be one of those games that gets easily replaced by its sequel (hence also my negative reaction to the price they're charging for it). Obviously agree about ME though, especially since the trilogy came out at the exact same time for all other platforms. That was just a slap in the face.

The text is itsy-bitsy, teeny-tiny on my TV, so have been waiting on an Off-TV patch. Now maybe it'll never be coming. This is very bad. :(

Yea that text is terrible to read if you don't sit right in front of your TV. I don't remember if it was that bad with the first game. I was waiting for the Off-TV patch, too ...given that we had one of the programmers even tweet a photo of it running. But those damn money problems put a bullet into that.

donny2112

When Majora's Mask came out, I was in my last year of high school.
When Majora's Mask 3D came out, I have a nice-looking Master's in Education degree sitting on my wall, that I got 6 years ago, and have never used, since no one wanted to hire me >.>

October 2000. Man, that was a long time ago. A lifetime ...

Plans and what you can live with to live can certainly change a lot in 15 years. :(

zroid

Banned
The Par Time for stage 7 in MSF2 was giving me fits. Not because it was especially difficult but since it's so long I kept accidentally mistiming a switch and crushing myself at some point. Then I had to restart... like 10 times...

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The Par Time for stage 7 in MSF2 was giving me fits. Not because it was especially difficult but since it's so long I kept accidentally mistiming a switch and crushing myself at some point. Then I had to restart... like 10 times...

Do you go through all the levels first, or do you try getting par times as you go?

zroid

Banned
Do you go through all the levels first, or do you try getting par times as you go?

I usually play through once to get the baby, and again to get the par time, before moving on to the next level

easier that way since the stage is still fresh in memory

Does anybody know if Fossil Fighters Frontier is supposed to be good? I wasn't going to get it at launch, but it seems it is a budget title and I can pre order for 10% off if I order in the next few hours.

terrisus

October 2000. Man, that was a long time ago. A lifetime ...

Plans and what you can live with to live can certainly change a lot in 15 years. :(

No kidding...

It really was an entirely different world then...
And everything seemed like it would actually work out =(

TheMoon

Does anybody know if Fossil Fighters Frontier is supposed to be good? I wasn't going to get it at launch, but it seems it is a budget title and I can pre order for 10% off if I order in the next few hours.

It got a 33/40 in Famitsu. That's all I got. Afaik these games are good but don't get much attention because they're geared at kids. At least the localization should be top notch since 8-4 is probably handling it again (they did the last one).

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, the year after Majora's Mask came out, I made this, at a summer workshop at DigiPen:

gunguy.jpg

Time flies =(
Hey I recognize those tiles. I loved Happyland Adventures back in the days.

Bought Zero Mission, it makes me so sad that it has been over 11 years since the last of its kind. Such a flawless game.

terrisus

Hey I recognize those tiles. I loved Happyland Adventures back in the days.

Hah. It was a group project with like 5 other people, I just did coding, and wasn't involved with the artwork, so I had no idea where it came from. Interesting.

For what it's worth, as the name of the image would indicate, the name of our game was GunGuy (super-creative, I know). And the entire game was contained on that single screen. It wasn't that great, but then, we were a bunch of high school students at a 2-week summer workshop :þ

It was fun though. I really, really, really, really wish I had continued on with computer programming. Blah.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Hah. It was a group project with like 5 other people, I just did coding, and wasn't involved with the artwork, so I had no idea where it came from. Interesting.

For what it's worth, as the name of the image would indicate, the name of our game was GunGuy (super-creative, I know). And the entire game was contained on that single screen. It wasn't that great, but then, we were a bunch of high school students at a 2-week summer workshop :þ

It was fun though. I really, really, really, really wish I had continued on with computer programming. Blah.
Seems like they're from a free sprite sheet collection called spritelib, so nevermind. :/
childhood ruined

wilflare

so I see Outrun 3D and Afterburner 3D on the NA eShop
- do they go on sale (or any of the SEGA 3D Classics) often?
- in other words, should I get them now?

just got my new3DS XL - so lol don't mind more 3D titles to try out dat stable 3D

It got a 33/40 in Famitsu. That's all I got. Afaik these games are good but don't get much attention because they're geared at kids. At least the localization should be top notch since 8-4 is probably handling it again (they did the last one).

Yeah, Famitsu doesn't really help. Thanks for trying, though. I remember playing and liking the second Fossil Fighters. It reminded me a bit of Spectrobes, but with different battle systems. I pre-ordered it, but thinking now, I already have Bloodborne and Story of Seasons for the end of this month, so I will probably cancel.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Aside from a few Sonic Game Gear games, I don't think any of Sega's stuff on the eShop has gone on sale. 3D Classics Wave 1 is on sale in EU, but isn't in the US for some reason (though it's possible they might eventually after Wave 2 is fully released).

zroid

Banned
Keep forgetting Story of Seasons is only a couple weeks away. It's going to be my first "Harvest Moon" game in ages. Really stoked.

wilflare

Aside from a few Sonic Game Gear games, I don't think any of Sega's stuff on the eShop has gone on sale. 3D Classics Wave 1 is on sale in EU, but isn't in the US for some reason (though it's possible they might eventually after Wave 2 is fully released).

so it's safe to say... I can just get Outrun and Afterburner without worrying they go on sale like in the next month or so?

Keep forgetting Story of Seasons is only a couple weeks away. It's going to be my first "Harvest Moon" game in ages. Really stoked.

I have never played a Harvest Moon game on the 3DS (or even the DSLite)
- was thinking of getting this but hmmm

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
so it's safe to say... I can just get Outrun and Afterburner without worrying they go on sale like in the next month or so?
Yeah, go ahead. For some reason, Sega doesn't do sales on the eShop compared to the tons they've done on PSN & XBLA.

Again, we MIGHT get a sale on the Wave 1 stuff like EU, but that won't include Outrun or After Burner II. Heck, not even 3D Sonic 1 is on sale.

terrisus

Seems like they're from a free sprite sheet collection called spritelib, so nevermind. :/
childhood ruined

Heh, sorry >.>

Although now I know that some of my other group members were a bit lazier than I thought they were >.>

Was it any good?

Not really. As I said, the entire game was contained on that one screen. The "highlight" is the fact that if you're climbing up the beanstalk, the guy will dance around at the top a la Super Mario Bros. 1
(although really it's more a matter of not changing the code when you hit the top of the beanstalk >.>)
. It's pretty much impossible to jump under the spikes, so you have to kind of jump under the platform to the left of the beanstalk instead. Definitely less than ideal. But then, as I said, it was just a 2-week "get something working while learning a bit" sort of thing.

I should see if I still have the executable around somewhere.

Oh yeah, this is the game that I made in the 2nd year, in 2002, where I was responsible for all parts of the game - but using a GUI creator called "Project FUN" as opposed to coding in C:

shbelt.jpg

As you can tell, not only am I a great artist, I'm also brilliant at coming up with creative names >.>

Ah, memories... =(

steveovig

Is Donkey Kong Land worth my time at all? I think I remember hearing how 2 and 3 are just copies of the SNES titles but how is the original? Is it worth $3.99 for a DKC fan or should I just skip it?

rjc571

Banned

gunguy.jpg

Time flies =(

Oh yeah, this is the game that I made in the 2nd year, in 2002, where I was responsible for all parts of the game - but using a GUI creator called "Project FUN" as opposed to coding in C:

shbelt.jpg

As you can tell, not only am I a great artist, I'm also brilliant at coming up with creative names >.>

Ah, memories... =(

You should port these games to the Wii U eShop. They can't be any worse than half the crap that gets published on there!

terrisus

You should port these games to the Wii U eShop. They can't be any worse than half the crap that gets published on there!

>.>

You're probably right.

(Both games are using provided files/libraries which restrict distribution for profit, unfortunately :þ)

terrisus

shbelt-2.jpg

Think that's all the pictures I have handy.

Super Happy Bouncing Eye-Like Thing did have like half a dozen or so side-scrolling levels though.

GulAtiCa

Mem Rn sold at $5 for over 10k downloads easily before guy was caught stealing assets. So put it up for $9.99 and all the Miiverse kids will by it in droves! ;)

terrisus

Mem Rn sold at $5 for over 10k downloads easily before guy was caught stealing assets. So put it up for $9.99 and all the Miiverse kids will by it in droves! ;)

$9.99 x 10,000 downloads...

Hey, I could pay
almost
all of my
credit and medical
debt with that >.>

(Nah, I'm kidding)
(I could pay off my student loans too)
(Although probably still not enough to cover my wife's as well >.>)

wilflare

Probably but Sega just had a big 3D sale in Europe so who knows.

Yeah, go ahead. For some reason, Sega doesn't do sales on the eShop compared to the tons they've done on PSN & XBLA.

Again, we MIGHT get a sale on the Wave 1 stuff like EU, but that won't include Outrun or After Burner II. Heck, not even 3D Sonic 1 is on sale.

thanks bros!
sigh I'm still deliberating on the AA Trilogy. lol
may just get the two SEGA 3D games

any other 3D Classics to recommend? - I got Kirby and Kid Icarus

I'm liking the new3DS XL - the screen looks so much better - and the speed really helps improve my overall experience.

there hasn't been much DLC sales I suppose? was looking through the eShop

and darn - it's annoying we can't just purchase the DLC through the eShop T_T
this is when having a physical collection hurts...

terrisus

medical debt sounds like the worst :|

To be fair, at least I had insurance during all of it. Thanks RomneyCare, since otherwise my cancer in 2011 wouldn't have been treated/I would've had to go to some lower-quality place to get it treated, and who knows what happens. And otherwise my cancer stuff alone would've cost like $500,000, or whatever it was.

Still, even with insurance (through my work for my stroke, and my wife's work now), deductables and out-of-pockets add up >.> Plus, while disability pay is something, it sucks compared to actually working >.>

Going to be filing for bankruptcy this year.

Or maybe I could release "Meeeeme Run" or something :þ

EDIT: I doubleposted within my own post. Impressive!
Oh sorry for not catching this much sooner. I played JPN version, my clock's at... 138 hours I think. I don't think most people who aren't completionists will put that much time in, though, especially since a lot of my playtime was just grinding things to max rank in Auto mode to collect stats for a spreadsheet.

I thought it was pretty good. I felt that pretty much everything, from graphics to gameplay to music to balancing to the amount of content, was much better than Champions. Playing through to the credits is a nice casual romp, but some of the side stuff can be tricky, especially post-game. The main post-game series of quests is actually long enough that it has its own ending, too, which is nice. And the "main story", while not deep or anything, was amusing to me. In particular I liked the characters, as cliched as some of them may be.

It has its flaws, though. The main one is that exploring and digging up fossils is fun but only in bursts of half an hour to an hour or so. Well, for me at least. At that point I typically just took a break or did some tournaments or Challenge Routes instead.

Speaking of Challenge Routes... In this game each body part gives you a move, so you have four move slots, and you can choose between the normal and rare fossil for each move slot. To get those rare fossils you do those Challenge Routes, and they are basically just obstacle courses. They range from easy 1-star ones to 5-star monsters. You have to race the corresponding vivosaur to the fossil, though, so you're timed; if you're a bit slow they'll start damaging the fossil and if you're too slow they'll destroy it. It's probably my favorite new gameplay mechanic.

If you played one of the DS games and liked it then I would definitely get this one, but otherwise I would try to try it out before you buy it because this series isn't for everybody (unless you're a young boy, then it's a no brainer because DINOSAURS).
Afaik these games are good but don't get much attention because they're geared at kids.
Well, it doesn't help that the DS games were almost insulting to the player's intelligence in terms of difficulty.

Frontier fixes this. It's still "easy" but not downright insulting, and even has some side content that I find pretty challenging to the point where I decided to just not bother doing it until I got my English copy of the game, but they haven't advertised that, like, at all, probably because that's a really weird thing to advertise. "Look kids, we made the game harder! GET HYPED!"

EDIT: I doubleposted within my own post. Impressive!

Oh sorry for not catching this much sooner. I played JPN version, my clock's at... 138 hours I think. I don't think most people who aren't completionists will put that much time in, though, especially since a lot of my playtime was just grinding things to max rank in Auto mode to collect stats for a spreadsheet.

I thought it was pretty good. I felt that pretty much everything, from graphics to gameplay to music to balancing to the amount of content, was much better than Champions. Playing through to the credits is a nice casual romp, but some of the side stuff can be tricky, especially post-game. The main post-game series of quests is actually long enough that it has its own ending, too, which is nice. And the "main story", while not deep or anything, was amusing to me. In particular I liked the characters, as cliched as some of them may be.

It has its flaws, though. The main one is that exploring and digging up fossils is fun but only in bursts of half an hour to an hour or so. Well, for me at least. At that point I typically just took a break or did some tournaments or Challenge Routes instead.

Speaking of Challenge Routes... In this game each body part gives you a move, so you have four move slots, and you can choose between the normal and rare fossil for each move slot. To get those rare fossils you do those Challenge Routes, and they are basically just obstacle courses. They range from easy 1-star ones to 5-star monsters. You have to race the corresponding vivosaur to the fossil, though, so you're timed; if you're a bit slow they'll start damaging the fossil and if you're too slow they'll destroy it. It's probably my favorite new gameplay mechanic.

If you played one of the DS games and liked it then I would definitely get this one, but otherwise I would try to try it out before you buy it because this series isn't for everybody (unless you're a young boy, then it's a no brainer because DINOSAURS).

Well, it doesn't help that the DS games were almost insulting to the player's intelligence in terms of difficulty.

Frontier fixes this. It's still "easy" but not downright insulting, and even has some side content that I find pretty challenging to the point where I decided to just not bother doing it until I got my English copy of the game, but they haven't advertised that, like, at all, probably because that's a really weird thing to advertise. "Look kids, we made the game harder! GET HYPED!"

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the game. I liked Champions, but I don't remember much about it besides the digging being like Spectrobes. I think I will just get it on sale, as Bloodborne and Story of Seasons should be 100+ hours by themselves.

zroid

Banned
To be fair, at least I had insurance during all of it. Thanks RomneyCare, since otherwise my cancer in 2011 wouldn't have been treated/I would've had to go to some lower-quality place to get it treated, and who knows what happens. And otherwise my cancer stuff alone would've cost like $500,000, or whatever it was.

Still, even with insurance (through my work for my stroke, and my wife's work now), deductables and out-of-pockets add up >.> Plus, while disability pay is something, it sucks compared to actually working >.>

Going to be filing for bankruptcy this year.

Or maybe I could release "Meeeeme Run" or something :þ

gosh that is a lot of crappy stuff, I'm glad you were able to get treated. hope you're healthy now!

my mom is actually being treated for cancer right now, and we have no idea what it costs, can't even imagine what it would be like to have to deal with the financial side of it.

Orgen

Come on S-E, give me some Terranigma love!!!! (We lost to Zero Mission team but we won't lose to Ghost Babel team or Turbografx team bwahahaha)

L~A

Only 39.99€ for Mario Party 10? I'm surprised. Then again, I believe 49.99€ is the price for the amiibo bundle, so...

Top Bottom