• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2014

BooJoh

Anyone know if you can purchase (or redeem a code for) a game on the eShop and get Club Nintendo and DDP credit for it without actually downloading it yet?

I'm wondering since I won't have space to download my bonus game when I buy Mario Kart 8 (don't have an HDD just yet,) but I'd love to get a DDP code out of it if those count toward DDP.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This week's downloads:

Virtual Console on Nintendo 3DS
Mega Man II™ – It's Mega May! Every Thursday in May, a different Mega Man game (actually, two this week!) will launch in the Virtual Console section of the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS. In Mega Man II, jump and blast your way through a barrage of maniacal robotic monsters while collecting a variety of weapons and items to help fight more Robot Masters. Who is this stranger from the future called Quint? Can Mega Man reach Dr. Wily before time's up? Suit up, power up and let's go!

Mega Man III™ – The sinister Dr. Wily has taken control of an offshore oil rig to drill to the center of the Earth. By reaching the molten core, he will be able to collect energy in order to power his latest invention. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, and Mega Man must put a stop to this! Join robotic dog Rush and walking suitcase Flip-Top as you progress through Dr. Wily's fiendish fortress, battling various Robot Masters and collecting their weapons before facing the mad scientist and his final robotic creation.

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS
Grinsia – Grinsia, Kemco's classic 16-bit style JRPG, follows a family of three treasure hunters who go out in search of some ancient ruins said to be full of untold riches. Their adventure begins with little incident, but little do they know that they'll be caught up in a more sinister plot as the fate of the world hangs in the balance.

THE "DENPA" MEN 3 The Rise of Digitoll - Full and Demo Versions – THE "DENPA" MEN 3 is the third game in the expansive, augmented-reality RPG series that lets players catch and form parties of Denpa Men to conquer perilous dungeons and explore a new world. The exclusive demo is also available today.

Virtual Console on Wii U
Wario Land 4 – Bask in the greedy glory of treasure hoarding as you hop, roll and zombify Wario through 20 huge, puzzle-packed levels. This critically praised platformer sees our stubby anti-hero in search of gold, jewels and riches beyond imagining. But when his insatiable need for loot lands him in a twisted pyramid of traps, he'll need your wits to help him get out.

Nintendo eShop Sales
Joindots – For a limited time, Joindots is discounting select games in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS, including 3D Games Collection, Jewel Match 3 and Murder on the Titanic. This offer ends at 9 a.m. PT on May 22.

Trine 2™: Director's Cut – Now through 9 a.m. PT on May 26, experience the fantasy action and physics-based puzzles of Trine 2: Director's Cut for 50 percent off in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

Aqua Moto Racing 3D – For a limited time, Aqua Moto Racing 3D is 25 percent off in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS. This offer ends at 9 a.m. PT on May 29.

ATLUS – ATLUS wants you to pack your map and go exploring! Starting 9 a.m. PT on May 12 through 9 a.m. PT on May 19, Etrian Odyssey™ Untold: The Millennium Girl and Etrian Odyssey™ IV: Legends of the Titan are on sale in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

Also new this week:
Parking Star 3D (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Gardening Mama 2: Forest Friends - Demo Version (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Jewel Match (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS / Nintendo DSi Shop on Nintendo DSi)
Jewel Quest 4 Heritage (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS/ Nintendo DSi Shop on Nintendo DSi)
Sokomania 2: Cool Job (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS / Nintendo DSi Shop on Nintendo DSi)
I feel like we can start making a drinking game out of how many times Atlus puts their eShop titles on sale.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Their tradition of PSN sales have leaked over to the eShop now. Seriously, seems like once a month or every other month, they do a sale. Not that I don't mind, but still.

& Mega Man II & III for me as well, even if II is considered the weakest out of the GB MM titles. Just want to be able to finally play the rest of the GB/C titles after Mega Man Mania never came out and feel more "complete" knowing I've played Mega Man titles I never got to play.

bjork

I feel like that Titanic game is on sale more often than not. Is that just to get the visibility or something? I would imagine by now they'd just permanently make it $2 or something.

batbeg

Which Etrian Odyssey would be a better title for a newcomer? I understand that Untold is remake of the first one with more story emphasis, and while that appeals to me, I don't need a story, especially if the gameplay of IV is substantially improved over Untold.

Ridley327

Wario Land 4 is pretty damn awesome. It's also the launch pad for the aesthetic choices that became so well known in the Wario Ware series, so you also get your absolutely hilarious sound bites and cracked-out music along with it.

Which Etrian Odyssey would be a better title for a newcomer? I understand that Untold is remake of the first one with more story emphasis, and while that appeals to me, I don't need a story, especially if the gameplay of IV is substantially improved over Untold.
never played the series before and I started with IV instead of Untold. I'm 30 hours in at the moment. I recommend 4.

Jucksalbe

Banned

Both have demos, if you want to try them first.

sörine

Banned
IV is the better game but I think Untold might be the better introduction to the series due to it's more manageable scope. Story mode is optional in Untold too.

L~A

New communities for the 3DS on Miiverse :

BnHcZ2XCIAAQW4N.png:large

Must resist Wario Land for now...

Got a lot of nostalgia for that one. It came out originally while I was in Japan...it was the first new game I bought while I was going to school there. I've got the English version via the Ambassador program on 3DS but I still might pick this up anyway.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I remember getting the game + its preorder bonus (a paper chest & some coins with Wario's face & the game logo on them) for Xmas one year. I still have the Nintendo Power Advance issue that has a guide for the game.

I also remeber the code to unlock Karaoke Mode was really hard to do because of the buttons you had to hold down all at once.

Got a lot of nostalgia for that one. It came out originally while I was in Japan...it was the first new game I bought while I was going to school there. I've got the English version via the Ambassador program on 3DS but I still might pick this up anyway.

No enabling
ok fine I will probably buy it today

Was there a time where Etriggan ODissey was NOT on sale ?
Europe. I'd like to update the fact that NISA Euopre did finally remember they published EOIV here (they got it mixed up with SMTIV *welp*) after their initial "it is not one of our games" response to the eShop sale question posed on their Facebook page (they've since deleted that post)

Well Millenium Girl only just came out here so a sale on that would be unrealistic (and its demo was the proper 30 uses, progress). IV would be nice to have a sale especially as the retail release has practically gone extinct.

tolkir

Week finished

7f5TM.png

Wii U | Virtual Console

Wii U | Sales

• Trine 2: Director's Cut (Frozenbyte | $9.99 until 05/29, then $19.99)

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl (Atlus | $19.99 until 05/19, then $39.99) Upcoming 05/12
  • Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan (Atlus | $19.99 until 05/19, then $29.99) Upcoming 05/12
  • 3D Games Collection (Joindots | $4.99 until 05/22, then $5.99)
  • Jewel Match 3 (Joindots | $5.99 until 05/22, then $6.99)
  • Murder on the Titanic (Joindots | $5.99 until 05/22, then $7.99)
  • Aqua Moto Racing 3D (Zordix | $4.50 until 05/22, then $5.99)

Nintendo DSi | DsiWare

vYU92.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• Abyss (EnjoyUp Games | €1.99 | £1.79)

Wii U | Virtual Console

• Volleyball (Nintendo | NES *US Version* | €4.99 | £3.49)

Wii U | Sales

• Trine 2: Director's Cut (Frozenbyte | €8.49 | £6.99 until 05/29, then €16.99 | £13.99)

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• 3D Game Collection (Joindots | €5.99 | £5.99 until 05/22, then €13.99 | £11.99)
  • Jewel Match 3 (Joindots | €5.99 | £4.99 until 05/22, then €6.99 | £5.99)
  • Murder on the Titanic (Joindots | €5.99 | £4.99 until 05/22, then €14.99 | £14.99)
  • Aqua Moto Racing 3D (Zordix | €5.99 | £5.39 until 05/29, then €7.99 | £7.19)
  • Brunch Panic (CIRCLE Ent. | €2.99 | £2.69 until 05/29, then €3.99 | £3.35)
  • Swords & Soldiers 3D (CIRCLE Ent. | €4.99 | £4.49 until 05/29, then €7.00 | £5.90)
  • Sweet Memories Blackjack (CIRCLE Ent. | €2.99 | £2.69 until 05/29, then €3.99 | £3.59)

uxwGK.png

Wii U | Virtual Console

terrisus

$10 for Grinsia, blah, was hoping for a bit less.

Ah well, I bought it anyway. I'll check back either later today or tomorrow with some thoughts.

decaf

Fellow Brits - if I buy the download code for Mario Golf: World Tour from GAME will I still unlock Mario Golf GBC? Have any of you done this yourselves to confirm?

RiggyRob

Fellow Brits - if I buy the download code for Mario Golf: World Tour from GAME will I still unlock Mario Golf GBC? Have any of you done this yourselves to confirm?

Haven't done it myself but buying a download code to be used on the eShop is effectively the same as buying it from the eShop, so it should still work.

No Wario Land 4 for EU? Bummer.

I don't think getting Mario Golf that way would work. There's a disclaimer on the Kirby offer which reads:

"The purchase of Kirby: Triple Deluxe must be made directly in the Nintendo eShop. If you use a download code bought at retail, the offer does not apply."

decaf

I don't think getting Mario Golf that way would work. There's a disclaimer on the Kirby offer which reads:

"The purchase of Kirby: Triple Deluxe must be made directly in the Nintendo eShop. If you use a download code bought at retail, the offer does not apply."

This is what concerns me... fiver difference though. Hmm.

terrisus

Some quick (30 minutes or so) thoughts on Grinsia:

Pretty much your pretty standard SNES-era-style turn-based RPG (which, for me, is a very good thing, as that's exactly what I wanted)

Has an "Automatic KO" system (like in Earthbound), where if you're significantly stronger than an enemy, you automatically win the battle. Further, this is actually an option that can be toggled Off or On, so if you don't want to do it that way, you don't have to (although I don't know why you would - every RPG since Earthbound should've had this feature)

World map is pretty darn big. No idea how it will actually end up playing out, but from an initial impression, there appears to be a whole bunch of stuff there.

Intro to the story was pretty corny, but, meh, whatever. As I said, only just started, so can't really comment beyond that.

Basically, if you like SNES-style turn-based RPGs, this appears to be a pretty good choice, as it seems to fit into that mold pretty well.
If that type of game isn't your thing though, you'll want to pass, as there isn't anything here that would win you over otherwise.

I still need to finish up Bravely Default, so it's probably going to be a bit before I put too much time into this game. But, very glad to have it on the 3DS now, since, despite buying it for Android ages ago, I was unlikely to ever put any time into it with touchscreen controls.

Pretty much your pretty standard SNES-era-style turn-based RPG (which, for me, is a very good thing, as that's exactly what I wanted)

Has an "Automatic KO" system (like in Earthbound), where if you're significantly stronger than an enemy, you automatically win the battle. Further, this is actually an option that can be toggled Off or On, so if you don't want to do it that way, you don't have to (although I don't know why you would - every RPG since Earthbound should've had this feature)

World map is pretty darn big. No idea how it will actually end up playing out, but from an initial impression, there appears to be a whole bunch of stuff there.

Intro to the story was pretty corny, but, meh, whatever. As I said, only just started, so can't really comment beyond that.

Basically, if you like SNES-style turn-based RPGs, this appears to be a pretty good choice, as it seems to fit into that mold pretty well.
If that type of game isn't your thing though, you'll want to pass, as there isn't anything here that would win you over otherwise.

Thanks for your impressions. I love SNES RPGs, but I once bought an old Kemco RPG on Android and thought the game lacked soul. Characters weren't interesting, dialogue was bland and the dungeons felt uninspired. That's why I'm playing safe this time and checking what people think about the game before buying it.

terrisus

Thanks for your impressions, terrisus! Sounds like this game is right up my alley. :)

No problem.

I'm sure some people will be put off by the price (and I'm curious why they went with "$10.00" as opposed to "$9.99." Even though it's not really any meaningful difference, for some people there's a mental barrier associated with seeing two figures for dollars), but for me this is the type of game that I love, the type of game I want more of (even though it wasn't originally for 3DS, but just a very late port from mobile), and I'm happy to have it here and to be able to get it. So, it's definitely worth the price for me.

terrisus

Thanks for your impressions. I love SNES RPGs, but I once bought an old Kemco RPG on Android and thought the game lacked soul. Characters weren't interesting, dialogue was bland and the dungeons felt uninspired. That's why I'm playing safe this time and checking what people think about the game before buying it.

Yeah, while I only have a few lines of dialog that I'm going off of (the intro conversation plus two NPCs), I wasn't really impressed by it. It seems pretty cliché and corny. I don't know if it will get better, I would hope it does, but certainly not inspired from how things started.

To me, story and dialog aren't that big of a deal, I'm fine with something cliché and (to an extent) corny (although too much is definitely bad). But, if that's one of your concerns, probably best to get some more thoughts on it.

I haven't hit any dungeons yet, just did a bit of grinding outside of town to get everyone up a level so far. So, I can't comment on that yet. I'm hoping they're good though, since that is important to me.

I still need to finish up Bravely Default, so it's probably going to be a bit before I put too much time into this game. But, very glad to have it on the 3DS now, since, despite buying it for Android ages ago, I was unlikely to ever put any time into it with touchscreen controls.

Thanks for the impressions. I guess I know what I am doing when I get home.

Top Bottom