• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS - October 7th 2004 announcement predictions

Jonnyram

Sho Nuff said:
I can't believe there will only be three games at launch. Are more to be announced?
If that means three first party launch titles, that's a lot by Nintendo's standards ;)
There are a few third party games at launch too. Sega's scorpion game and Spike's hospital game are both due out at launch for starters. Hope Mr.Driller DS will be too.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Sho Nuff said:
I can't believe there will only be three games at launch. Are more to be announced?

Keep in mind that the "press release" is only my prediction. However, it's a prediction based on my past experiences with Nintendo platform launches and the state the code appeared to be in E3.

The pattern seems to be three games for launch day, couple to follow within next few months. However, because DS launches so close to Christmas, bringing games anymore after the launch date doesn't make sense.

For reference, based on my memory:

Super NES launch first-party games (PAL, 1992)
- Super Mario World
- F-Zero
- Super Tennis
- Super R-Type
- Super Soccer

N64 launch first-party games (PAL, 1997)
- Super Mario 64
- Pilotwings 64
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

GBA launch first-party games (PAL, 2001)
- Super Mario Advance
- F-Zero
- Kuru Kuru Kururin

GameCube launch first-party games (PAL, 2002)
- Luigi's Mansion
- Wave Race
- Star Wars: Rogue Leader

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
In what way was Rogue Leader a first party game? I'm not sure Kuru Kuru Kururin was either, though I'm less certain.

I hope they don't just show off launch games, I want an update on the new Mario Bros. amongst others.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Mama Smurf said:
In what way was Rogue Leader a first party game? I'm not sure Kuru Kuru Kururin was either, though I'm less certain.

I hope they don't just show off launch games, I want an update on the new Mario Bros. amongst others.

Kururin definately was a Nintendo published title in PAL area, and I recall Rogue Leader was too, unlike in US. Not sure though. The definition of first-party is a bit confusing that case, I admit.

jarrod

Banned
Tritroid said:
Isn't The Urbz releasing along-side DS too? (Not that I care)
The Urbz and Madden were both revealed by EA to be launch games already. So that's 4 confirmed...

-Feel the Magic: XY-XX (Sega/Sonic Team)
-Madden NFL 2005 (EA)
-Spider-Man 2 (Activision/Vicarious Visions)
-The Urbz: Sims in the City (EA/Griptonite)

Insertia

Mama Smurf said:
Mario's a definite, they wouldn't launch a system without...Mario...

gamecube

Four launch titles isn't enough if they're all going to be unoriginal titles. Bad way to start.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Insertia:

> Four launch titles isn't enough if they're all going to be unoriginal titles.

How is Project Rub unoriginal? Besides, there will be more titles.

Cathcart

What's going on with the handheld Castlevania games? Has anything for the GBA been announced? Is Konami going to wait for PSP and go 3D with the handhelds? Both? Maybe something on the DS?

Aria of Sorry is my favorite CV, I hope it's not the last 2D game in the series.

Cathcart said:
What's going on with the handheld Castlevania games? Has anything for the GBA been announced? Is Konami going to wait for PSP and go 3D with the handhelds? Both? Maybe something on the DS?

Aria of Sorry is my favorite CV, I hope it's not the last 2D game in the series.

Castlevania DS has already been confirmed to be in the works. Little is known about it though.

jarrod

Banned
Insertia said:
Four launch titles isn't enough if they're all going to be unoriginal titles. Bad way to start.
Four games is all that's confirmed so far... compared to three for PSP....

Nintendo DS
-Madden NFL 2005 (EA)

PSP
-Need For Speed Underground Rivals (EA)
-Puyo Pop Fever (Sega/Sonic Team)
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 (EA)

...I'd say Nintendo actually has the better lineup so far. :p

Just curious, but when can we expect the first news on this stuff to appear on the net? In terms of PST, GMT or whatever is local (but specify so others can convert)

Good question, I'd assume we get info from the Japanese one tonight sometime. Maybe 2am GMT, just a guess. Anyone know the exact time?

my predictions....

- Mizuguchi DS game. consider Lumines a side / pet project.
- Boktai DS and Castlevania DS in January.
- 5-7 suprise games.

that's all you guys get.

neptunes

jarrod said:
The Urbz and Madden were both revealed by EA to be launch games already. So that's 4 confirmed...

-Madden NFL 2005 (EA)

Jarrod, though I wonder how close a release has to be near launch for it to be considered a launch title?

becuase Feel The Magic: XY-XX wont be available the first day the system launches, but rather 3 days later.

Meier

Society said:
I thought this was an NOA announcement...

I figured it would be October 7th in the US and Japan. Would seem odd for them to not be showing titles off in Japan until the Touch! tour starts.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
it's 7:50 am
i'm awake
on my way to work soon, perhaps there will be some news there?

Chittagong

Gold Member
explodet said:
Wasn't the last announcement in Japan at 4pm their time?
Usually the announcements that affect share price - profit warnings, mergers, etc. - are done after the stock exchange closes for stocks traded in a single time zone.

Whatever Nintendo can come up with in terms of software is already reflected in the NCL share price, so I expect it to be earlier during the day.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
nintendo announced at 2:30pm last time
Sony delayed thier last announcement due to an "emergency management meeting"(and altered the contents depending on who you believe), from 3:00pm until around 4:00pm.

Johnny Nighttrain said:
alright fine, everyone ignore me.

Johnny Nighttrain said:
my predictions....

- Mizuguchi DS game. consider Lumines a side / pet project.
- Boktai DS and Castlevania DS in January.
- 5-7 suprise games.

that's all you guys get.

So was that a guess or a "guess" ;}

I figured it was just a guess.

Soul4ger said:
::pisses himself::

depends.gif

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Fuck, dont say that, I'm so tired. Can I stay up another couple of hours?

Sigh...I'll put a pillow on the keyboard, just in case.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=jpconews&tkr=7974:JP

The conference starts 2pm Japan time...?

babelfished said:
< Attention stocks > Nintendo Co. (7974): In the afternoon new model carrying game machine exhibition opening
October 6, 2004 18:00 EDT -- attention may focus on the Nintendo Co. stock price trend. The same company 7th from 2 o'clock in the afternoon inside capital exhibition of portable type game machine "&#12491;&#12531;&#12486;&#12531;&#12489;&#12540; of end of year sale D S" inside capital opening to the object such as reporting circulation financial authorized personnel. Besides the fact that you can play concerning DS really, for DS which the other game software manufacturer develops it is the prospect that you can verify the stock of the software.

fugimax

Any details on what media streams will be utilized to dissiminate information come 2pm japan time? Is it an event where journalists are just attending, or is it going to be accompanied by press releases, new screenshots, boxart, etc? I'm not asking what content will be released, just *how* it's going to be released. Anyone know?

aparisi2274

well this conf is just for NCL DS announcements.

There will be a conf tomorrow where NOA will announce all their launch lineups and pricing.

Top Bottom