• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS: the new design !

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Hmm cool, but they should place it at the D-pad's position, I dont know, its kinda awkward where its placed, so close to the edge and there's no sprongs like console pads, you need to grip on that thing somewhere. Why even bother with a HUGE d-pad if you have an analog stick?

Buggy Loop said:
psp_screen009.jpg

You're telling me this is an analog trackball or whatever? Either they changed the design after E3, but right now you can see on the other side of the metallic grid, and what does it look like? A ring shaped form that pretty much ressemble a speaker suspension.

So they changed it after E3? Did anyone at E3 actually touch it to see what it was like?

LOL. CAMEL TOE!

Espio

played Mario 64 x 4 at E3 loads, and it is indeed ARSE without an analogue stick, i fell off of platforms and bridges all the bloody time.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Buggy Loop said:
Hmm cool, but they should place it at the D-pad's position, I dont know, its kinda awkward where its placed, so close to the edge and there's no sprongs like console pads, you need to grip on that thing somewhere. Why even bother with a HUGE d-pad if you have an analog stick?

Because a small D-PAD would have been a problem for the games that do need it especially given the design Sony uses for its D-PAD.

Deg

Banned
I have to admit Nintendo's handheld division knows their stuff. Even if the DS isnt the next GBA. They have made a significant contribution and their designers are top. Did they come from Motorola and Samsung?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Panajev2001a said:
Because a small D-PAD would have been a problem for the games that do need it especially given the design Sony uses for its D-PAD.

I was thinking more along the lines of getting rid of the Dpad entirely. Both of them on such a tiny surface will be too problematic imo.

scarybore

Buggy Loop said:

I can see what you mean here, it looks like it will be very painful to use but I guess I will never know till I hold the thing in my hands. Are there any videos of someone moving the stick?

Espio said:
played Mario 64 x 4 at E3 loads, and it is indeed ARSE without an analogue stick, i fell off of platforms and bridges all the bloody time.

I just cant imagine Mario 64 without a analog stick, some parts were frustrating enough with one. Its the only area I see the PSP has a big + over the DS barring graphics.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Buggy Loop said:
I was thinking more along the lines of getting rid of the Dpad entirely. Both of them on such a tiny surface will be too problematic imo.

Not a good idea IMHO.

First you can use the D-PAD as 4 additional face buttons, also you will need it for 2D fighters and other games which rely on it.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Lost Weekend said:
And you're allowed to make a PSP thread if you can't take the NDS gushing:)

Yeah, you dudes should make a thread in the OT forum about how you're going to watch Lawrence of Arabia on your PSPs.

Looks underwhelming. Also, none of the games interest me. They should rename the machine "Paint by Numbers for Nintendo Sheep," because of the stylus. I'll take a PSP anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

I felt Mario 64 x 4 worked alright with the digital pad. Better than expected really.

I'm really curious to see what Nintendo's actual line-up is going to be for launch, as most of their titles looked to be early.

Wario Ware DS is probably the only real guaranteed launch title (which is awesome as-is.) Metroid Hunters is right near Wario Ware DS as an "almost guaranteed" launch title. Animal Crossing DS is probably the next closest, but will be hell to localize for North America again, perhaps leading to a long wait here. Either way, I cannot wait to see what concrete titles they have lined up for this.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
JasoNsider said:
Either way, I cannot wait to see what concrete titles they have lined up for this.
Same here. Right now I am very much on the fence for the DS. Seeing their launch line-up will be the make-or-break factor for me.

ge-man

Guileless said:
Yeah, you dudes should make a thread in the OT forum about how you're going to watch Lawrence of Arabia on your PSPs.

Good luck if the battery life actually does end up in the 2-2.5 hour range.

I liked the last design, but this one is even better. I looks a little smaller, or thinner I guess, and more sleek. And it definitely has the right look to compete with the PSP. I think now Nintendo can start pushing this thing now that it is finalized.

TheGreenGiant said:
SOLD.

I am buying one. Haha... Good work Nintendo. Looks wicked. Very smart with that groove/indent on the front cover. Looks somewhat futuristic/hightech metrodish. If that makes sense. The silver rocks.

the redesign of the hardware sold you on the purchase?!?!!?

HalfPastNoon said:
You people are going to pay $179 for a 2-d machine?

Seriously, people like you miss the entire point of the system. I could write here until I'm blue in the face about how the DS games have made a paradigm shift to being "simple yet complex" and I would hear:

"Wait.....but PSP games look better!"
"Why would I want something different!? I like PS2 games!"
"You play a game with just a stylus? Why no analog stick!?"

There is seriously no point in even trying if people are so closed minded that they cannot understand that there are people out there who don't play games because the interface is too complex.

So yeah, I'm going to pay the price tag. I'll pay it because it's a machine that has the capability to play games unlike those seen before, not because it's a powerful handheld.

SantaC

Reggie in destroy mode again:

"The innovative functions make Nintendo DS a superior game device, while the chat feature and ability to detect other DS units make it a social device as well," says Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales and marketing. "We've figured out the magic of what makes portable game play so attractive to consumers. We've defeated nine challengers and once again we're prepared to win."

Gotta love that guy. Exactly what big N needs :D

human5892

Queen of Denmark
HalfPastNoon said:
It's 2004. Not 1994.
Right. 2D games, while fun in 1994, are no longer fun at all in this 3D future. That is why when I attempt to play Super Mario World, I want to beat myself in the face with a hammer.

DS = BOMB-BOMB, 2D IS STUPID.

EDIT - For those of you who say, "But Metroid Prime: Hunters and Mario Kart DS are 3D," shut up. That isn't true. They're 2D because the DS is a 2D machine. IT'S 2004 NOT 1892!!!!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
JasoNsider said:
Seriously, people like you miss the entire point of the system. I could write here until I'm blue in the face about how the DS games have made a paradigm shift to being "simple yet complex" and I would hear:

"Wait.....but PSP games look better!"
"Why would I want something different!? I like PS2 games!"
"You play a game with just a stylus? Why no analog stick!?"

There is seriously no point in even trying if people are so closed minded that they cannot understand that there are people out there who don't play games because the interface is too complex.

So yeah, I'm going to pay the price tag. I'll pay it because it's a machine that has the capability to play games unlike those seen before, not because it's a powerful handheld.

Most of the games we have seen do not seem to be so revolutionary: yeah, nice we have maps and stats in one screen, but the other is just used in a very standard way.

An analog stick would have still been a nice addition: for games like MArio 64x4 which you do not play with the Stylus.

For some games the touch screen idea is great: RTS games, games which use a very complex UI which would normally require a mouse... the stylus will be a great help.

I think we will see unique games on the DS: if you haver that complex of an UI as I was talking about you would fill, in any portablem, an entire screen so naturally you need another screen to have a view on the game world.

Kifimbo

Well, we were able to have a 5 pages Nintendo thread with no haterz. New record! But they came in full force in page 6. Time to move on, I guess.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Panajev2001a said:
Most of the games we have seen do not seem to be so revolutionary

Wait until the DS's next showing. The E3 demos were just that - designed to be short and simple to keep the queues moving, and to showcase basic functionality - Nintendo said so much themselves, and explicitly said that the lineup should not be judged based on E3. I'm hopeful we'll see unique and clever uses of the two screens once Nintendo unveil the lineup proper.

impirius

:) : Looks great! Hopefully platinum will be Nintendo's new signature color as was suggested earlier.

:( : CLICKY STICK. IT'S STILL NOT THERE. Make a Nintendo DS LH for lefties, do whatever you have to do, but pleeeease put an analog clicky stick in place of the D-pad.

Also, they really should reverse Y/X and B/A. Right now, B is in the primary spot, which doesn't make much sense.

Panajev2001a said:
Most of the games we have seen do not seem to be so revolutionary: yeah, nice we have maps and stats in one screen, but the other is just used in a very standard way.

An analog stick would have still been a nice addition: for games like MArio 64x4 which you do not play with the Stylus.

For some games the touch screen idea is great: RTS games, games which use a very complex UI which would normally require a mouse... the stylus will be a great help.

I think we will see unique games on the DS: if you haver that complex of an UI as I was talking about you would fill, in any portablem, an entire screen so naturally you need another screen to have a view on the game world.

We're not talking revolutionary here. All we're talking about is a new approach to game interface (yes, I recognize PDAs.) The fact that you can play Wario Ware DS with nothing but a stylus is what I'm talking about. It means you could safely give the DS unit to someone of any age or gaming background and they would be around the "learning curve" in just seconds of play time. Try teaching your mother or grandmother to play Command and Conquer. That is what I speak of. The actual interface for the machine allows games to reach more people because it removes potential barriers that may have been there.

Even games that are designed for the hardcore can take advantage of the same innovations to take the game up a notch. I had an absolute blast with both Wario Ware DS, Balloon Trip Demo, and Metroid Hunters. They were all really fun games and ranged from "insanely easy to learn." to "easy to learn." Stylus control makes a more natural interface, even for more complex titles. Want to fire? tap the screen where you want to fire. Want to look? Just move your finger to where you want to look.

Point is: people who cannot understand the idea behind the DS because they are too fixated on "hardcore" console gaming will probably never be able to understand the philosophy behind it. It sounds silly, but the DS is actually not really intended for this crowd as much. It's more aimed to be "games for non-gamers."

Buggy Loop said:
psp_screen009.jpg

You're telling me this is an analog trackball or whatever? Either they changed the design after E3, but right now you can see on the other side of the metallic grid, and what does it look like? A ring shaped form that pretty much ressemble a speaker suspension.

So they changed it after E3? Did anyone at E3 actually touch it to see what it was like?

It is an analog pad and it feels great and terrible at the same time. The pad itself feels great in every aspect, yet it feels terrible cuz of the position they placed it on the console.

Memles

Love it...it works.

And, I have a feeling that Backwards Compatability might be the reason a sole Analog Stick and no D-Pad setup wouldn't work. Playing some GBA Titles with Analog might not be the easiest thing in the world. Both would have been nice, but I can honestly say it doesn't bother me much.

If it launches with Mario, Metroid, Wario, I'll pick up Mario and Wario, Metroid later. Interested to see all that they launch with.

Deg

Banned
impirius said:
:) : Looks great! Hopefully platinum will be Nintendo's new signature color as was suggested earlier.

Its not Nintendo's colour. Its the colour for almost everything in electronics right now. Its the cool colour right now and rightfully so.

psppicse32004_21.jpg

Sony need to go the same modern route. Everyone else has moved on.

nitendo_ds_closed.jpg

nintendo_ds_open.jpg

Bear in mind these are photshopped and will look a little different in person. The screens are not black or grey when they sre switched off ;)

I look forward to the design of the new GB. Probably wont be that different but advances in some tech i think may give some tiny surprises in some aspects.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
The main problem with the lack of D-pad seems to be lying with the game developers to my mind. Don't put Mario 64 on a system which doesn't have an analogue stick! It's fine as a tech demo to show that the system can prduce such graphics, just don't put the game out there.

I mean, Zelda could be a 3D one if they felt like it, but no, it's going to be a 4 Swords style game. It fits the systems controls perfectly, a 3D Zelda wouldn't (I'm sure they could make one just fine, but it wouldn't work as well).

Having said that, I've managed to play Mario 64 on a PC keyboard before now with little trouble. Not that I played it all the way through, just messed around in the first world, but I didn't find myself falling off bridges or anything.

cvxfreak

Memles said:
Love it...it works.

And, I have a feeling that Backwards Compatability might be the reason a sole Analog Stick and no D-Pad setup wouldn't work. Playing some GBA Titles with Analog might not be the easiest thing in the world. Both would have been nice, but I can honestly say it doesn't bother me much.

If it launches with Mario, Metroid, Wario, I'll pick up Mario and Wario, Metroid later. Interested to see all that they launch with.

Well they made it work with the GBA Player. ;)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The screens are not black or grey when they sre switched off
The screen on my ipaq is pretty blackish (not pitch black, but still) when turned off, and so is the screen on my cellphone.

You do have the point though. The new DS design is 3D render/photoshop. PSP picture is an actual photo (studio photo).

Why couldn't they implement an analog crosspad? Does it have to be a stick? And I feel Mario 64 would work just fine on a digital pad.

JasoNsider said:
We're not talking revolutionary here. All we're talking about is a new approach to game interface (yes, I recognize PDAs.) The fact that you can play Wario Ware DS with nothing but a stylus is what I'm talking about. It means you could safely give the DS unit to someone of any age or gaming background and they would be around the "learning curve" in just seconds of play time. Try teaching your mother or grandmother to play Command and Conquer. That is what I speak of. The actual interface for the machine allows games to reach more people because it removes potential barriers that may have been there.

Even games that are designed for the hardcore can take advantage of the same innovations to take the game up a notch. I had an absolute blast with both Wario Ware DS, Balloon Trip Demo, and Metroid Hunters. They were all really fun games and ranged from "insanely easy to learn." to "easy to learn." Stylus control makes a more natural interface, even for more complex titles. Want to fire? tap the screen where you want to fire. Want to look? Just move your finger to where you want to look.

Point is: people who cannot understand the idea behind the DS because they are too fixated on "hardcore" console gaming will probably never be able to understand the philosophy behind it. It sounds silly, but the DS is actually not really intended for this crowd as much. It's more aimed to be "games for non-gamers."

I agree with your post. just wanna say though that the DS's capabilities won't be realised near launch. As with any new idea to the developers, they need time to marinate with the device and mull over it to produce some intuitive and fresh games.

Nintendo's given them the tool, they just have to put it to use. For this to happen Nintendo has to lead the way though, and in many cases they'll have to damn right hold the developers hand through game making process. It's the only way this whole DS thing will work. Otherwise we'll end up with redundant second screens and a dusty touchscreen.

I think PSP follows on the same idea path of eveolution that the GB, GBC then GBA were going along. The DS takes a slightly different branch of the tree.

Anyway, i hear the devs a loving it, so fair play to tendo.

I hope at launch there are fewer titles, but a greater depth of quality. I want one killer kickass title that asks no question whether or not I should buy it.

evilromero said:
I hope at launch there are fewer titles, but a greater depth of quality. I want one killer kickass title that asks no question whether or not I should buy it.

Wario Ware and/or Animal Crossing fit that bill to a "tee" I would say. If Animal Crossing has online trading or talking then my life = 0wn3d.

jarrod

Banned
120 games? 20 from Nintendo? Over 100 3rd parties? Whoa, we need some more announcements so I can update my list. :)

Nintendo DS
-Animal Crossing (Nintendo)
-Bomberman DS (Hudson)
-Buzz (Nintendo/EAD)
-Castlevania (Konami/KCET)
-Cerulean Dreams (tba/Mezco)
-Dragon Ball Z (Banpresto)
-Dragon Quest Monsters (Square Enix/Tose)
-Dynasty Warriors DS (Koei/Omega Force)
-Egg Monster Hero (Square Enix)
-Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (Square Enix)
-Frogger 2005 (Konami/KCES)
-Gyakuten Saiban (Capcom)
-Legend of Zelda: Four Swords DS (Nintendo)
-Madden NFL 2005 (Electronic Arts)
-Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
-Megaman Battle Network (Capcom)
-Metroid Prime: Hunters (Nintendo)
-Mobile Suit Gundam Seed (Bandai)
-Monster Rancher (Tecmo)
-Mr Driller (Namco/Driller Project)
-Need for Speed (Electronic Arts)
-New Super Mario Bros (Nintendo)
-Nintendogs (Nintendo)
-One Piece (Bandai)
-Pac n' Roll (Namco/Nintendo)
-Pac-Pix (Namco)
-Picto-Chat (Nintendo)
-Project Rub (Sega)
-Rayman (UbiSoft)
-Sonic DS (Sega/Sonic Team)
-Spider-Man 2 (Activision/Vicarious Visions)
-SpongeBob SquarePants (THQ)
-Super Mario 64x4 (Nintendo)
-Super Robot Taisen (Banpresto)
-Trouballs (tba/Paragon 5)
-Ultimate Games (TeleGames/Cosmigo)
-Urbz: Sims in the City (Electronic Arts/Griptonite)
-Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubador (Konami/KCEJ)
-Viewtiful Joe DS (Capcom/Clover Studio)
-Wario Ware, Inc. DS (Nintendo)

-tba project (Argonaut)
-tba project (Box Clever)
-tba project (Engine)
-tba project (Majesco)
-tba project (Nintendo/EAD)
-tba project (Raylight Studios)
-tba project (Shin'en)
-tba project (Tecmo/Team Ninja)
-tba project (Vivendi Universal)
-tba projects (Atari)
-tba projects (Bandai)
-tba projects (Electronic Arts)
-tba projects (From Software)
-tba projects (Hudson)
-tba projects (Rare)
-tba projects (Visual Impact)
-tba RPG (Namco)
-tba RPG (Nintendo/Brownie Brown)
-tba RPG (Square Enix/Matsuno)
-tba soccer (Dino Dini/DC Studios)

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I wouldn't be surprised if Animal Crossing is a simple port of the N64 engine, with the GC updates and some nice DS touchscreen features.

It'd be far too much to expect Nintendo to actually make it online, like everyone wants. I'm not even sure if it'll be a sequel so much as an update.

Hope I'm wrong.

Insertia

JasoNsider said:

firing? moving the camera?
Call me crazy, but I see nothing innovative about that.

JasoNsider said:
Wario Ware and/or Animal Crossing fit that bill to a "tee" I would say. If Animal Crossing has online trading or talking then my life = 0wn3d.

IAWTP, let's just hope Animal Crossing makes launch (I'm pretty sure Wario will).

Sadly, Super Mario 64x4 isn't really a killer app. We've all played Mario 64 before, give us something new.

Now, maybe if they release that "NEW Super Mario Bros" game at launch...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wario64 said:
I'm making love to my Nintendo DS preorder stubs right now. All three of them.

Three of them? Explain.

jett

D-Member
Looks awesome, much better than before. I personally like it better than the brick design of the PSP.

Top Bottom