• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Aurora said:
Except that moving the characters would only add to the depth of the game; it wouldn't take anything away.
it takes away concentration from the task at hand, so to speak.

Aurora said:
If anything Nintendo should have just included a Beginner Mode and an Advanced Mode, the latter allowing players to manually control the characters.
maybe they will, but then remember my second point in the previous post about not every game for the Wii (or DS) being for us hardcore types.

maxmars

Aurora said:
Except that moving the characters would only add to the depth of the game; it wouldn't take anything away. If anything Nintendo should have just included a Beginner Mode and an Advanced Mode, the latter allowing players to manually control the characters.

Well, then you would have lamented the lack of graphics on par with those of other Wii sport titles, you'd want to have Advanced Mode as default and so on and so forth.. :)

Get over it -- this is a small, simple, humble, fun videogame.. A 2006 rendition of Pong in a way.

Aurora

maxmars said:
Well, then you would have lamented the lack of graphics on par with those of other Wii sport titles, you'd want to have Advanced Mode as default and so on and so forth.. :)

Get over it -- this is a small, simple, humble, fun videogame.. A 2006 rendition of Pong in a way.

Fair point fair point, I mean I haven't even played the game so the controls could turn out to be adequate. Hopefully they throw this in with the Wii bundle.

ziran

the more i think about it the more i realise this conference wasn't for us. it was a company speaking out to everybody who doesn't play (or no longer plays) videogames saying, look at what we're doing.

that's why the kodak theatre was hired and why there was no mention of gba or gc and a heavy focus on ideas and not game footage.

nintendo was saying we're making something for everyone. like the ds we're giving you new ways to play existing games and new types of games to play.

i've changed my mind, i think nintendo's conference was brilliant! look at all the press already generated. every article i'm reading in the mainstream and gaming media is raving about the games they've played. four guys on stage mimicking playing tennis with controllers was nintendo saying the game begins.

damn you nintendo! just like the name wii, you suckered me again!!!

Wii is going to be HUGE!!! :D

jarosh

yeah well, this wii sports stuff is clearly meant for the "brain age crowd".

it's not for the people who are used to top spin and the likes. but i'm sure there will be a "real" tennis at some point, with nunchuck control and acceptable graphics.

ziran said:
the more i think about it the more i realise this conference wasn't for us. it was a company speaking out to everybody who doesn't play (or no longer plays) videogames saying, look at what we're doing.

that's why the kodak theatre was hired and why there was no mention of gba or gc and a heavy focus on ideas and not game footage.

nintendo was saying we're making something for everyone. like the ds we're giving you new ways to play existing games and new types of games to play.

i've changed my mind, i think nintendo's conference was brilliant! look at all the press already generated. every article i'm reading in the mainstream and gaming media is raving about the games they've played. four guys on stage mimicking playing tennis with controllers was nintendo saying the game begins.

So Nintendo just blew off their bread and butter eh?

There was nothing brilliant about the conference. The lack of DS attention was beyond strange, and they only demo'd one Revolution game aimed at the casuals. One. Unless you count the Miyamoto thing at the beginning of the conference, which wasn't even explained or addressed.

It was not well executed. Nintendo hyped the conference for two years. And when the conference was done, everyone had the exact same questions they had...two years ago.

Flipmo23

If other companies were blatantly stealing your ideas just months after you revealed them, just imagine what they would do if you showed the intricacies of the games.

Jak and Dexter Galaxies :lol

IMO let people play some games now, and save all that other rumored shit for Spaceworld.

lancubap

ziran said:

I have seen the Conference for the THIRD time, and now I'm sure:

1) This Conference has had the best Introduction, EVER.

2) The first 30 minutes were AMAZING !!!

3) Good shown of Red Steel, but technical problems with Graphics and presentation have a little bit ruined this part.

4) Annoying George Harrison & annoying Satoru Iwata.

5) Good Final, with the CONCRETE Presentation of the Tennis Game, that seems pretty fun.

Conclusion: a good/very good conference. Yes, there were the lack of some things, and some mistake of course. Nodoby here say that it was perfect: no. But it was really good in his complex.

That's my final judgement, after to have seen the Conference 3 times.

ziran

PhoenixDark said:
So Nintendo just blew off their bread and butter eh?

There was nothing brilliant about the conference. The lack of DS attention was beyond strange, and they only demo'd one Revolution game aimed at the casuals. One. Unless you count the Miyamoto thing at the beginning of the conference, which wasn't even explained or addressed.

It was not well executed. Nintendo hyped the conference for two years. And when the conference was done, everyone had the exact same questions they had...two years ago.
yes.

because nintendo knew we'd find out about everything within minutes of the media being available. which happened. let's face it, there would have been as much knowledge about the stuff the hardcore is talking about had there been no press conference at all.

this was just nintendo saying 'everybody, look at what we're doing'. it was huge, because before today only the gaming media knew about revolution/wii and what it would do. with the name wii, the press conference and the impressions from journalists, the awareness of wii is far more than it would've ever been. delivering something structured like the sony conference would have been pointless.

i'm not saying it's now my personal favourite press conference ever or that it answers my questions about wii, but i am saying it was perfect for what nintendo is attempting to do.

no doubt we're going to have our questions answered over the coming months. nintendo knows no wii info the hardcore are concerned with will go unnoticed, because the fans are checking the internet for news on a daily basis and discussing it in detail.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
lancubap said:
miyamoto conducting was actually kinda dumb and went too long. it seems like they were going for a Fantasia theme, where Mickey Mouse starts conducting in his wizard outfit (have i got my reference right?), but what Nintendo did simply fell flat... kinda like that lame DJ bit last year, where he used electroplankton to "mix up a storm"... *yawn*

lancubap said:
george harrison is ALWAYS boring, every single time. Why do they keep putting him on? Iwata is really boring to listen to also, though it's not WHAT he's saying that bores me it's HOW he says it... toooooo sloooooow, and broken. And his gestures are really annoying.

lancubap said:
Conclusion: a good/very good conference. Yes, there were the lack of some things, and some mistake of course. Nodoby here say that it was perfect: no. But it was really good in his complex.

thanks lancubap! it's always a pleasure reading your constructive and insightful posts! :)

ziran

lancubap said:
I have seen the Conference for the THIRD time, and now I'm sure:

2) The first 30 minutes were AMAZING !!!

3) Good shown of Red Steel, but technical problems with Graphics and presentation have a little bit ruined this part.

5) Good Final, with the CONCRETE Presentation of the Tennis Game, that seems pretty fun.

i agree. the miyamoto intro was brilliant.

the conductor game is going to be the new nintendogs! :D

lancubap

Scrow said:
thanks lancubap! it's always a pleasure reading your constructive and insightful posts! :)

Don't mention it. :lol

By the way, when start the Show ? It will be interesting to see HOW are Wii's games in reality and HOW is the Gameplay of them.

Shogmaster said:
I don't know if this has been discussed before, and I didn't want to start another goddamned thread for it, but what the hell is this shit about Wii costing us $250 come November?!? Supposedly this is the revelation in the new issue of EGM. Anyone have it already?

I'M NOT SPENDING A DIME OVER $149.99 PLUS TAX FOR GAMECUBE 1.5 AND A WAGGLE STICK NINTENDO!!!!!
Even if it launches at $250, given Nintendo's price dropping I imagine it would tbe $150 by E3 2008.

As long as it launches for less than $278 in the US versus $500 PS3, though, it will by percentage be cheaper than GCN ever was compared to PS2.

Shmmeee said:
I thought this was just speculation form EGM, like the VC pricing. I actually doubt Nintendo knows what they're charging yet, or even what exactly they're charging for.
And if they did, they're probably going to at least reconsider their options after Sony's announcement.

I was just watching the Nintendo conference, and this dude stated that zelda has been toned down difficulty wise, so that everyone can enjoy a zelda game. Seriously, wtf is that, I didnt even die once (not once!) in WW and theyre gonna make it even easier? Damn.

ziran

Fallout-NL said:
I was just watching the Nintendo conference, and this dude stated that zelda has been toned down difficulty wise, so that everyone can enjoy a zelda game. Seriously, wtf is that, I didnt even die once (not once!) in WW and theyre gonna make it even easier? Damn.
the difficulty is only toned down for the e3 version on the showfloor.

i think it's because there were complaints last e3 that the dungeon was too hard.

Yamauchi

Banned
Fallout-NL said:
Clean out your ears please. He said the demo for E3 had been toned down in difficult and that the real game is more difficult.

Fallout-NL said:

No. He said the demo at E3 was toned down so people at the show could enjoy it and use the controller.

AniHawk

Scrow said:
miyamoto conducting was actually kinda dumb and went too long. it seems like they were going for a Fantasia theme, where Mickey Mouse starts conducting in his wizard outfit (have i got my reference right?), but what Nintendo did simply fell flat... kinda like that lame DJ bit last year, where he used electroplankton to "mix up a storm"... *yawn*

That's actually what came to mind when I saw it. I was at Disneyland just a few weeks ago and we saw Fantasmic. Shiggy was very Mickey Mouse-ish.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Someone answer me these please:

1. I read there was a pink DS Lite shown in the video, but don't remember seeing it, is it true?

2. I've seen talk about every Wii game shown except madden, I know its a big game for you americans (well maybe not nintendo fans), so did it look decent? More so than current gen?

I think E3 just startet!?
Can we open a "Wii E3 Impressions Thread" or something like this? (where we can collect all the links to the hands-on articles etc)

scaffa

Roders5 said:
Someone answer me these please:

1. I read there was a pink DS Lite shown in the video, but don't remember seeing it, is it true?

2. I've seen talk about every Wii game shown except madden, I know its a big game for you americans (well maybe not nintendo fans), so did it look decent? More so than current gen?

Yeah the pink DS lite is true. You could see it in the scene with two girls playing indoors at a table or something like that. Around 44 minutes into the conference.

Roders5

Zotty said:
Yeah the pink DS lite is true. You could see it in the scene with two girls playing indoors at a table or something like that. Around 44 minutes into the conference.
Awesome, I can now go and tell my girlfriend and prepare for the best sex of my life.

Roders5 said:
At the resolutions of current media, and with the short clip shown never getting very close to the players, it's hard to tell much.

I have to hand it to Nintendo. They are putting a major effort in trying to give us what we want. A lot of the franchises getting new releases for the Wii (except SSB), the DS is becomming the ultimate handheld (Yoshi's Island II, Kirby, Star Fox, ...), now the announcement of a new Duck Hunt with a light gun to give it the original feel.

Damn!

Jiggy

Flipmo23 said:
If other companies were blatantly stealing your ideas just months after you revealed them, just imagine what they would do if you showed the intricacies of the games.

Jak and Dexter Galaxies :lol

IMO let people play some games now, and save all that other rumored shit for Spaceworld.
Wait, was Spaceworld confirmed to be making a return?

Souldriver said:
I have to hand it to Nintendo. They are putting a major effort in trying to give us what we want. A lot of the franchises getting new releases for the Wii (except SSB), the DS is becomming even more the ultimate handheld (Yoshi's Island II, Kirby, Star Fox, ...), now the announcement of a new Duck Hunt with a light gun to give it the original feel.

Damn!
Added two important words, but otherwise I agree. :eek: It's almost like this is the first time they've really started listening to their customers, and the results are just staggering.

DieNgamers said:
I think E3 just startet!?
Can we open a "Wii E3 Impressions Thread" or something like this? (where we can collect all the links to the hands-on articles etc)
I hope someone who is at E3 will make note of the 27 games they are showing because obviously 27 games were not shown during the conference. I am very curious to know what they are.

Also I am really anticipating Pilotwings and we've heard next to nothing about it except for the brief clip during the conference.

jacomar

Neo Member
Is the fact that the wiimote runs on AA batteries old news???

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6149724

Though Nintendo still considered the units we were using to be prototypes, we reckon they gave a pretty good sense of the unit's heft. The controllers we had in our hands at the Tokyo Game Show were wired and weighed almost nothing. The wireless prototypes have a decent heft to them now, though. They use AA batteries, which will further add to the weight. At the moment, the main controller feels about as heavy as a Nintendo DS. The nunchaku weighs about as much as a cell phone. Holding both units in either hand feels fine, and the buttons are easy to reach

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
The wireless prototypes have a decent heft to them now, though. They use AA batteries, which will further add to the weight.
i hope the word "prototype" there actually means that it will change, and that the final retail version with have inbuilt rechargeable batteries which can be charged up with a cable connecting the wiimote to the console. use your brains here nintendo... don't continue using AA batteries...

Roders5

Scrow said:
i hope the word "prototype" there actually means that it will change, and that the final retail version with have inbuilt rechargeable batteries which can be charged up with a cable connecting the wiimote to the console. use your brains here nintendo... don't continue using AA batteries...
I have a feeling the wiimote is too expensive already, so they won't bother.

Scrow said:

That seriously better be the case. I don't want to deal with AA batteries.

Edit: Wait, are AA batteries the most common ones that were used in old cassette tape walkmans? Or are they the thinner smaller ones?

jacomar

Neo Member
Naked Snake said:
That seriously better be the case. I don't want to deal with AA batteries.

Edit: Wait, are AA batteries the most common ones that were used in old cassette tape walkmans? Or are they the thinner smaller ones?

I think AA are the regular ones and AAA the tiny ones

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Naked Snake said:
AA are the normal ones. AAA are the thinner ones.

carlos

First mario galaxy impressions are coming in....everything sounds great so far :)

as for spaceworld, maybe an event of that magnitude won't happen, but its safe to assume that there will be some big showing in japan where nintendo blows the other half of their load (including, but not limited to brain training games for wii, animal crossing wii first look, and more japanese partnerships and support)

Does anyone really think that the only sega games on the way are sonic and monkey ball? there has to be more being worked on, and I'll still hold my breath for nights and samba de amigo made by yuji naka's new studio....

Top Bottom