• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

ziran

I've watched the conference twice now and I think it was pretty poor to be honest. I find myself asking 'why do i have more questions about Wii now, than I did before the show'?

Everything about it was too vague. I still don't know what Wii is about and have the feeling there's a lot more to learn.

Where was the big Mario demo? What about a Metroid Prime 3 expose? Where was Smash Bros? Where was Crystal Chronicles gameplay? What about Monkey Ball? What about online? Where was the Virtual Console library? Why were some graphics impressive and others no so, especially MP3, one of the GC's best looking titles? Why wasn't more made of the DS's amazing line-up? Etc, etc.

The major disappointment for me was there was no killer game(s) that said to me this is why Wii is so important, why you have to have one and why Wii will appeal to a whole new market. I just saw a load of party games, which people outside the main gamers would play, but not buy (except maybe the Conductor game), and traditional games being definitely improved, but with more complicated controls, which was odd because I thought Wii was supposed to simplify games.

The best thing I saw was the Conductor game, that was amazing!

Maybe my opinion will change as more impressions start rolling in, but for now, I don't get it.

I can see how the sales potential of PS3 and 360 will be significantly less than this gen, but at the moment I'm struggling to see how Wii will expand it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
ziran said:
I've watched the conference twice now and I think it was pretty poor to be honest. I find myself asking 'why do i have more questions about Wii now, than I did before the show'?

Everything about it was too vague. I still don't know what Wii is about and have the feeling there's a lot more to learn.

Where was the big Mario demo? What about a Metroid Prime 3 expose? Where was Smash Bros? Where was Crystal Chronicles gameplay? What about Monkey Ball? What about online? Where was the Virtual Console library? Why were some graphics impressive and others no so, especially MP3, one of the GC's best looking titles? Why wasn't more made of the DS's amazing line-up? Etc, etc.

The major disappointment for me was there was no killer game(s) that said to me this is why Wii is so important, why you have to have one and why Wii will appeal to a whole new market. I just saw a load of party games, which people outside the main gamers would play, but not buy (except maybe the Conductor game), and traditional games being definitely improved, but with more complicated controls, which was odd because I thought Wii was supposed to simplify games.

The best thing I saw was the Conductor game, that was amazing!

Maybe my opinion will change as more impressions start rolling in, but for now, I don't get it.

I can see how the sales potential of PS3 and 360 will be significantly less than this gen, but at the moment I'm struggling to see how Wii will expand it.

They want people to experience the games for the first time by playing them, not by watching them.

Is it that hard to understand?

ziran

GaimeGuy said:
They want people to experience the games for the first time by playing them, not by watching them.

Why did they show any game demos on stage then? Because the ones the did show looked clumsy and weren't convincing at all.

jarosh

ziran said:
Why did they show any game demos on stage then? Because the ones the did show looked clumsy and weren't convincing at all.
read the gameplay impressions from gamespot and 1up. they sound excited and convinced.

ziran

jarosh said:
read the gameplay impressions from gamespot and 1up. they sound excited and convinced.
i have, they make wii sound great.

i'm not doubting wii's potential, i'm saying the press conference was underwhelming.

lancubap

GaimeGuy said:

That's the point, but these is more: it seems that Nintendo has had BIG technical problems in the Conference and the trailes shown are really a lot worse then the reality. That's what some people at IGN and ADM said.
They said also that the problem was that a Standard Resolution's Trailers, has been projected on a MEGA-Image at the conference: the result has been horrible.
That's expalin why at the Conference, so many games look a N64+. And that's explain why even Zelda and Metroid looks not very well AT THE CONFERENCE.

At the show there will be demos and videos and we will see how the games look.

Koshiro

Taker666 said:
Nintendo's major problem in the UK is shelf space and instore promotion, they just won't pay for it like the others.

PSP gets 3 racks in my local HMV, DS shares 1 with the GBA and GC.
Yup, this is 100% Nintendo's biggest problem in UK. Even though DS is selling fine (somehow) stores will not give it shelf space. It's really fucking annoying.

Aurora

ziran said:

i'm not doubting wii's potential, i'm saying the press conference was underwhelming.

Fair enough, but what you need to understand is that the conference wasn't underwhelming because Nintendo didn't have enough to show - it was purposely done this way because they want people to actually "feel" and play the games.

Remember how much Reggie was emphasising "Playing is Believing"? This is exactly it.

It's not like Nintendo were thinking "Okay damn... we've got nothing to show... let's just show what we do have and pad it out for the whole conference." It was more like "Okay damn... we would rather get people playing the games instead of merely watching them... but we have a conference to do... okay let's just briefly show some stuff and then let the real deal start on the showfloor."

Matt's write-up on IGN illustrates this. He mentioned getting angry during the conference because the videos didn't do any justice to the games that he had actually played in person.

Have faith. :p

Romaji

Anyone notice how Bill phrased his words when talking about the Wii remote's speaker during the Zelda demo?

"Now with the bow, the Wii remote also adds 'depth of sound,' and this is where we can finally start to unveil some of the secrets that still remain about the controller."

He didn't just accidentally say it because there was a deliberate pause and stress on the word "some."

master15

^Yeah I picked up on that rewatching the conf again.

On that note watching IGN editors roundtable, the tennis game is on rails and you only control the racket swing. I didn't know that.

Aurora

Romaji said:
Anyone notice how Bill phrased his words when talking about the Wii remote's speaker during the Zelda demo?

He didn't just accidentally say it because there was a deliberate pause and stress on the word "some."

Yes, I realised that too.
Well, Nintendo still haven't told us what the Home button is on the wiimote even though it might seem obvious what it is.

jarosh

ziran said:

dude, i can understand your feelings about the conference. i too expected more. still though, after suffering through the horrible mess that was the sony conference, i felt like nintendo delivered. and the post-conference ds/wii/gcn media orgasm made me really happy - that was truly spectacular. so i'm not complaining. but yeah - i can understand if you consider the conference underwhelming.

GaimeGuy said:

That doesn't address his questions. Why didn't Nintendo demo Mario Galaxy? They spent a lot of time going over Zelda and Tennis, but nothing on Mario. Huh?

Everyone expected Miyamoto to come out and show us how Mario used the controller. Instead, we got a minute of gameplay footage, edited into a bunch of other footage as if it was any other regular game.

Same wtith MP3. Why not have Retro demo the game?

lancubap

PhoenixDark said:
That doesn't address his questions. Why didn't Nintendo demo Mario Galaxy? They spent a lot of time going over Zelda and Tennis, but nothing on Mario. Huh?

Everyone expected Miyamoto to come out and show us how Mario used the controller. Instead, we got a minute of gameplay footage, edited into a bunch of other footage as if it was any other regular game.

Same wtith MP3. Why not have Retro demo the game?

I don't know.

But in this conference, too many things were strange. The lack of Demos, technical problems, no Virtual Console, no OnLine's Plans, no Smash Bros.....

What are Nintendo's plans ?

medrew

Nintendo seemed content on getting across their message and showcasing a core of games and displaying how the wiimote will work.
It's never been their style to show-off everything at once, they just love to string us along for months at a time and I doubt that is going to change anytime soon.

Maybe they're really freaking paranoid over their online service? Keeping the interface and functions underwraps until before the Wii launches, and also hope that by revealing it closer to the date that there is some new hype to go along with it.

For the last year and a half Nintendo acted like their conference was going to be the greatest unveiling ever. They rented out the building where the freaking Oscars are held for cripe's sake. Then they get marred by tech problems which no other presenter had at their conference, they didn't reveal any new information on extremely important things, they brushed off the DS like that retarded cousin who comes over every Thanksgiving, and to top it all off: no SSB.

?!?!?!what

We've learned about all these cool DS games, yet none of them were shown in the conference. That's strange. Same with the DS stuff. Paper Mario looks like sex, yet they didn't show it.

medrew

Just wait. They're saving it all up, they're tied down at the moment and are waiting for the press to go away so...

Matt can get exclusive on the news.

ioi

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
For the last year and a half Nintendo acted like their conference was going to be the greatest unveiling ever. They rented out the building where the freaking Oscars are held for cripe's sake. Then they get marred by tech problems which no other presenter had at their conference, they didn't reveal any new information on extremely important things, they brushed off the DS like that retarded cousin who comes over every Thanksgiving, and to top it all off: no SSB.

?!?!?!what

We've learned about all these cool DS games, yet none of them were shown in the conference. That's strange. Same with the DS stuff. Paper Mario looks like sex, yet they didn't show it.

Yeah, it was a very strange conference. They could have shown so much more.

lancubap

It is really strange. It was not the Nintendo that we know.
They have had sure BIG problems and the first thing that Journalists must ask is:"what was going on ?

Rocked

lancubap said:
I don't know.

But in this conference, too many things were strange. The lack of Demos, technical problems, no Virtual Console, no OnLine's Plans, no Smash Bros.....

What are Nintendo's plans ?

I think Nintendo's gonna spread stuff out through the year so they're in the limelight constantly.

Indeed.
They could have made the show even better if they just had made several, seperate trailers for all the new games. Instead, they pack all the games into a 4 minute video and simply don't mention a lot of upcomming games.

It should have made trailers for Super Mario Galaxy, Legend of Zelda TP, Yoshi's Island II, Paper Mario, Final Fantasy, ...

carlos

Well after sony so blatantly copied the revmote, I now comprehend why they are so secretive and wouldn't spill their guts at the conference; yet they couldve at least shown video of some of these titles that are on their press release....

And there was no way that they were ever gonna live up to the hype surrounding the conference; it was just impossible

mintosen

Wii Sports seems a bit odd to me.

Dont you move the player yourself?. It seemed like the guys were running towards the ball themselfs?
And you only had to wave the controller high, middle or low and tilt the controller.

Or am i missing something?

Krowley

I think it's all about the showfloor this year for nintendo. Usually everybody expects to get their news from the conferences and they think it's all over once the conferences end. But this year, with nintendo, the conference is only the beginning...

With the revolution, it's all about the new remote. Reading gameplay impressions will be more interesting this year and seeing videos from the showfloor is going to be key. A lot of these games that didn't look that impressive may prove very addictive once people are out there playing them. Reading impressions on lengthier play throughs of metroid and zelda, finally hearing about mario and getting tons of different perspectives on all the games.

reading interviews with devs about their rev games will also be interesting. Now that they aren't sworn to secrecy anymore, they can talk about their online plans, and what kind of ideas they have for their final projects.

Nintendo will also probably have some special conferences where they demo certain games and take questions from the press. If i'm remembering right, they did that with twilight princess last year and they did it with metroid the year before. I wouldn't be surprised to see some stuff like that with mario this year and metroid.

So anyway, i expect tons more nintendo news from this e3.

Rocked said:
Yeah, how do you control the players?

You don't control them, which is why I'm not interested. I'll wait for Sega to step to the plate with a real tennis game like Top Spin.

From what I saw, it didn't look that accurate. Or maybe Reggie and the gang just suck at the game:lol

Krowley

Rocked said:
Yeah, how do you control the players?

You don't. It's all about subtle manipulation of the racket for slicing, backhanding and lobs and it's all about timing your strokes. The players run automaticly. Pick up a remote and play. Perfect for non gamers, but only a small touch of depth that comes from the control mechanic with the racket. Basicly it's a very shallow game.

I actually think golf may end up being the funnest one sicne you can get all the depth you want from a golf game without using the nunchuck.

Rocked

Thanks! Sounds interesting. I'm starting to wonder if the sports titles will be packed in with the machine.

I just realised Spiderman is missing.

They can probably solved that easily if they added the nunchuck to allow for movement of the characters. This is where I believe making the nunchuck completely wireless makes sense.

Xrenity

I saw Miyamoto running around the stage yesterday, so I guess the players will run 'after' their rackets.

By knowing where the controller is, they know where you're moving to? :+

I don't know if this has been discussed before, and I didn't want to start another goddamned thread for it, but what the hell is this shit about Wii costing us $250 come November?!? Supposedly this is the revelation in the new issue of EGM. Anyone have it already?

I'M NOT SPENDING A DIME OVER $149.99 PLUS TAX FOR GAMECUBE 1.5 AND A WAGGLE STICK NINTENDO!!!!!

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Shogmaster said:
I don't know if this has been discussed before, and I didn't want to start another goddamned thread for it, but what the hell is this shit about Wii costing us $250 come November?!? Supposedly this is the revelation in the new issue of EGM. Anyone have it already?

I'M NOT SPENDING A DIME OVER $149.99 PLUS TAX FOR GAMECUBE 1.5 AND A WAGGLE STICK NINTENDO!!!!!
Then you wont be getting one for a while.

Shit happens.

Aurora

Shogmaster said:

Old news and hasn't been confirmed by Nintendo so...

Krowley

Shogmaster said:

If i'm not mistaken, that was EGM specualtion, not hard fact from nintendo... and i think it will probably cost 200 not 250. there is no way they will charge 150 for it IMO.. that's what the DS launched at and you know they will charge more than they did for DS. New consoles always cost more than new handhelds... That's just how it is.

It may or may not be overpriced at 200, i haven't heard enough gameplay impressions yet, and many games are unfinished.... I'm certainly not as insulted by the idea of paying 200/250 for it as i am at paying 600 for PS3 when most of the games look no better than 360 which costs 400 dollars and they only showed 1 potential AAA game (heavenly sword) That was playable. With the revolution, they showed multiple games that are potentially AAA and two of them were played on stage. I'll pay 250 for mario, zelda and metroid, but i expect 200. When i first heard the specs, i was also thinking 150.. seeing red steel convinced me that it could be worth more.

Shmmeee

Shogmaster said:

I thought this was just speculation form EGM, like the VC pricing. I actually doubt Nintendo knows what they're charging yet, or even what exactly they're charging for.

So much is up in the air about the Wii SKU, will it be one Wiimote, 2, or 4? Will you get one nunchaku per Wiimote, one per system, or none? Is the classic pad included or not?

I wouldn't take the $250 tag seriously yet.

edit: beaten

OK, I might be willing to go along with $200 if the waggle wand allows for gameplay beyond palor trick shit. I guess I will find that out for myself in few hours.

carlos

I think it was more like a "punch to the gut" that che said, but nevermind that M$ tool ;p

I wouldnt mind 250 if they pack in mario and 2 controllers, or maybe the wii sports and 2 controllers and shells...

maxmars

Aurora said:
It really is. I was hyped for Wii Sports until I read Matt's impressions and the mention of no player control.

Guys, this is going to be a game disk for non gamers.. I can definitely picture my mother and my little kids playing it and having fun. Be prepared to see some of this stuff, by the way.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i dunno, doesn't seem so bad to me. seems like they probably want the player to focus on the wiimote action, by playing the ball just right by twisting it just enough, angling the ball's trajectory, hitting it hard enough and getting the timing just right; rather than having to worry about making sure your character is positioned right.

if the wiimote is sufficiently accurate and sensitive enough that you can play the ball with that sort of detail and wouldn't want to divide my attention by having to actually move the character.

maxmars said:
Guys, this is going to be a game disk for non gamers.. I can definitely picture my mother and my little kids playing it and having fun. Be prepared to see some of this stuff, by the way.
yeah, people need to really listen to what it was Nintendo was saying at their press conf. Not every game is going to appeal to the hardcore. You don't have to like everything Nintendo does.

Aurora

Scrow said:
i dunno, doesn't seem so bad to me. seems like they probably want the player to focus on the wiimote action, by playing the ball just right by twisting it just enough, angling the ball's trajectory, hitting it hard enough and getting the timing just right; rather than having to worry about making sure your character is positioned right.

if the wiimote is sufficiently accurate and sensitive enough that you can play the ball with that sort of detail and wouldn't want to divide my attention by having to actually move the character.

Except that moving the characters would only add to the depth of the game; it wouldn't take anything away. If anything Nintendo should have just included a Beginner Mode and an Advanced Mode, the latter allowing players to manually control the characters.

Top Bottom