• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

mrkgoo

Ha, it's like Nintendo has done a major overhauling in terms of actually delivering what the FANS want. From Mario, to Super Paper Mario, New super Mario Bros, Starfox DS, Yoshi's Island 2, Free look in Metroid, Retro controller, duck hunt, NonCelda, etc...

Of course, one thing is missing for me: Super MEtroid ADvance. And I don't mean Virtual Console,. I want it in the palm of my hands!

Other than that, it seems Nintendo is going REAL classic, like a real try attempt at recapturing its lost market share (which, I actually attribute more to a larger industry today rather than actual LOSS of consumers).

RSP

Matlock said:
I asked my boy in the convention specifically about Mario Galaxy, and he said it was nothing special, visually. You ain't buyin' the Wii for graphics, kids.
video's say you are wrong.

Jasoco

Banned
If the Wiitroller is anywhere near as good as the WaveBird, the thing will run for a LONG time.

I have a WaveBird that was made in 2002 (Or whenever Metroid Prime 1 came out) STILL RUNNING on the original batteries. Even with the speaker and rumble, it will last forever.

I just hope some company, or N themselves, makes a 360-style "Play & Recharge" type kit that I can use if the batteries do run out and I don't have any replacements.

I WANT ALL MARIO GAMES!

Man, I can't wait 6 days for NSMB, I don't know how I'll wait for Mario Galaxy or hell, Super Freaking Paper Mario! I mean, that's genius! It's obviously fan service. People loved the pseudo side-scroller levels in Paper Mario 2, they had to make that a game. And I love the rotation factor where it shows you the level from the side. I can't wait to see how that comes into play.

Man, Nintendo Power's gonna be kick ass next month.

Matlock said:
I asked my boy in the convention specifically about Mario Galaxy, and he said it was nothing special, visually. You ain't buyin' the Wii for graphics, kids.

Heh. True. That's because people are going to buy Wii for the gameplay other consoles hope to mimic

Engadget Nintendo Booth tour, must see:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/10/nintendos-e3-booth-tour/
IMG_8040.jpg

IMG_7947.jpg

more in the website i've posted

lancubap

PhoenixDark said:
Zelda looks amazing. Mario looks amazing. Freaking Sonic looks amazing. Red Steel looks great to me.

And all of those could be launch titles. DANG

You said this, you said all ! Thanks PhoenixDark !

Himuro said:
Why are people updating this thread with news when it has 30483 posts? I'm not reading this.

Why not make a new thread if it does not partain to the Nintendo conference?

BECAUSE THE SONY CONFERENCE THREAD IS BIGGER AND WE CANT HAVE THAT CAN WE

Matlock

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
i miss they day i used to like Matlock...

...stop dissing the wiimote yo!

I miss that day too! Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just reporting back what my embedded reporters are telling me. ;-)

Amir0x

Banned
of course the graphics suck, you're not supposed to comment on it if you're a mature gamer.

The real question is: How the fuck is YOSHI'S ISLAND 2? Is that shit being demoed? PLAY IT AND REPORT

Matlock said:
I miss that day too! Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just reporting back what my embedded reporters are telling me. ;-)

From what has been mostly reported today, this friend of yours seems in the minority

Amir0x

Banned
gamergirly said:
From what has been mostly reported today, this friend of yours seems in the minority

What? I hate to burst your bubble, gamergirly, but EVERYONE has reported that the graphics suck (yes, Red Steel is fucking disgusting). But what can you do about it? It's the Wii technology. So you're either gonna say "it's good for what the system is capable of" or "it sucks compared to PS3/360", and which do you think most are gonna choose?

It's something that everyone has to realize sometime: Wii graphics suck. It's cheaper for a reason, and that's part of it.

Wii is about Wiimote, the paradigm shift in gameplay. Chitta said he seen more smiles at the Nintendo booth then he had in many E3s combined

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Anybody have impressions on how well the remote & nunchuck work for lefties vs righties? I'm lefthanded btw so I'm alil unnerved after a couple DS games left me wishing I were righthanded.

Amir0x said:
What? I hate to burst your bubble, gamergirly, but EVERYONE has reported that the graphics suck (yes, Red Steel is fucking disgusting). But what can you do about it? It's the Wii technology. So you're either gonna say "it's good for what the system is capable of" or "it sucks compared to PS3/360", and which do you think most are gonna choose?

It's something that everyone has to realize sometime: Wii graphics suck. It's cheaper for a reason, and that's part of it.

Wii is about Wiimote, the paradigm shift in gameplay. Chitta said he seen more smiles at the Nintendo booth then he had in many E3s combined

There's nowhere in my previous post that indicated I was talking about the graphics. IN fact the post before that "obviously" would support that statement. I was referring to the controls and the gameplay. Overall, it's been pretty positive

Matlock

Banned
Amir0x, you're not really contributing to the discussion by twisting words. As is, and with FULL CONTEXT to avoid any fucking reading inbetween the lines--

"It is not the Xbox Turbo like people said it would be. It was the GameCube, with an assload of bloom."

And

"Red Steel looks bad, like Geist."

That's it.

It's not up to expectations of even the Xbox Turbo standard set up.

On the other hand, I'm pleased with the visuals displayed in Super Mario Galaxy. I think the graphics are good--but not nearing 360/PS3 on a technical level. Not "disgusting" in any way.

also: bonus chatlog

yup
amir0x in #ga during nintendo's conference was hilarious
he was running FULL anti-nintendo damage control during the whole thing
beginning to end
it was sad
Conan36X: LOL
Conan36X: I demand a log
no logs here :(
Conan36X: aw
Conan36X: like what was he saying haha
lets just say that he used the "GAMECUBE TURBO!" line like 50% of the time during the 1 hour

;)

Amir0x said:
Don't do it to yourself man.

Do what? I'm talking about games like Kameo, PDZ, Tony Hawk 360 and the like. I honestly don't see them as any better than the Wii games we've seen. But then again, I'd like to think those games don't exactly push the system to its fullest. At all. And I don't think what we've seen with the Wii pushes the system to its fullest either.

Amir0x

Banned
gamergirly said:
There's nowhere in my previous post that indicated I was talking about the graphics. IN fact the post before that "obviously" would support that statement. I was referring to the controls and the gameplay. Overall, it's been pretty positive

Except that Matlock only reported what his friend said about the graphics, which is counter to your statement that "[his] friend ... seems in the minority"

Also, Matlock, I actually barely harped on the graphics during Wii conference - bad though they were - I mainly commented on how everyone looked so fruity using the thing.

Chris Michael said:
Do what? I'm talking about games like Kameo, PDZ, Tony Hawk 360 and the like. I honestly don't see them as any better than the Wii games we've seen. But then again, I'd like to think those games don't exactly push the system to its fullest. At all. And I don't think what we've seen with the Wii pushes the system to its fullest either.

So then, why try to generalize 360? You can't say "I don't see the difference between Wii and 360" by comparing it to the shittiest shit of 360 games. Similarly, I'm fairly certain you've never played PDZ or Kameo if you think any of Wii games showcased today were on par on any level... and that's before we factor in the Hi-Def. Kameo, regardless of what we feel on the art style, is technically very strong. PDZ is a hodgeposh, but it showcases many next-generational graphic techniques that are hardly on display in any Wii game.

lancubap

Chris Michael said:
People keep dissing the Wii's grafix, but I'm honestly not seeing a difference between Wii graphics and current games out for the 360...

I could agree with you if you are speaking about Mario, Zelda or Sonic, but remember: they COULD look as the average-low 360's games.
I say "COULD", because I don't have done a comparison, for now.

Anyways, the Hand-On for these 3 games are very good.

Virtual console demo stations were on hand at E3. According to the representative on hand, as of now, the controller will not be packaged with the system itself, citing the fact that not all players will use the Virtual Console. He did admit that this is subject to change.

shooting-yourself-in-the-fo.gif

=(

PC Gaijin

I hope Nintendo doesn't keep the cable coming out of the bottom of the pad as it appears in that photo. That shit was annoying on DC pads. Other than that the pad looks very nice and comfortable. MrSardonic is simply blinded by the tears left over from the Sony conference. :lol

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Red Steel looks really really good in motion.

However, it needs a lot of work with the controller tweaking...
The controller itself doesn't really sense crazy movments too well, it spazes out fairly often if you aren't slow and direct.

Which, in the heat of a gun fight, you can't really get frustrated because then you shake your arms or you twitch too much and you'll spaz and end up shooting the ceiling or floor or something.

I notice that with a lot of games - it just doesn't respond too well to quick movement or large exaggerated movements. You have to be pretty damn concentrated in your movements to really get the affect your looking for in the game.

Case in point, Tony Hawk. It looks fantastic in motion, by the way. Really good concept.
However, its nearly impossible to play at this point. While I made it down the mountain, its difficult to do grab tricks holding the controller vertically and then use the trigger button to do holds - the strigger isn't really designed to be pushed like that, its uncomfortable. So if you feel any kind of frustration, you jerk the controller and you fly right off the mountain. I mean, the game is FAST, so any sudden movement and your flying right off the cliff. Its difficult to get used to, and it needs a bit of work. But the concept is sound.

I think the same thing goes for nearly every Wii game I've played - excluded Zelda.
Damn, they sure did a number on that one! :)

MrPing1000 said:
I still find it amusing how they barely told us a thing in the conference :lol

Yeah, I feel Zelda TTP really took a backseat. There were so many games they revealed at the same time, and yet they didnt speak much at all about any of em. Then, they dont say much about the price and stuff. Are they really ready to launch Wii this year?

ahmad

Banned
gamergirly said:
Yeah, I feel Zelda TTP really took a backseat. There were so many games they revealed at the same time, and yet they didnt speak much at all about any of em. Then, they dont say much about the price and stuff. Are they really ready to launch Wii this year?

Why would they show the games??? It is best when you play it and that is what they wanted to do. They wanted us to experience the games and the controller that is why they didn't keep talking about the games.

Saoh

yoopoo said:
A Web Revolution in the Living room: Opera partners with Nintendo to put browser on the Wii™ game console

http://opera.com/pressreleases/en/2006/05/10/

yeah, the said that in the conference, almost with their mouths closed :lol

and they need to pack the shell now, that VC games dont use the wiimote. or gives us the chance to use GCN controllers.

ITS A MUST NINTENDO!! YOU HEAR ME GAYBRUSH THREEPIO?? :D :D

Trurl

Banned
PC Gaijin said:
MrSardonic is simply blinded by the tears left over from the Sony conference. :lol
I recall Mr. Sardonic being quite positive about the Wii in pre E3 threads. N-fans are acting strange when it comes to negative reactions to what Nintendo has shown.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
John Harker said:
The controller itself doesn't really sense crazy movments too well, it spazes out fairly often if you aren't slow and direct.

I mean, I need to play this I guess. The impressions are so mixed, ive been reading it all day at work and shit. To me it sounds like people want to spaz out with it, but perhaps thats just not how you use it. I think the senstivity is a good thing, even if there is a learning curve involved.

This whole thing sounds kind of like when I first got on keyboard an mouse with Quake a long time ago. For the first little while I had to have the sensitivity lower on the mouse so I could actually play. Once I got good at it I was a G. The same thing said with a Joystick when playing street fighter. I got beat down one day while I was palying on pad at my BEST, and realised I needed to play on joystick.

With that being said, I think people who are used to BUGGIN OUT on a pad, will need to readjust the way they think about using a controller altogether. Hell, you may go back to Halo wanting to point your controller at the screen to aim subconsciously. hah

I wonder how this will affect people who have never played video games, but maybe that is just the thing. People with no real previous experince with a pad or something may pick this thing up instantly. or you could read that is grandma may whip your ass in Mario Kart Wii. :lol

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I think it's all in the tweaking of the controls at this point. The sensitivity of the controller is there. They just have to find the middle ground between "waving wildly to register" and "breathing makes it move".

Top Bottom