• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo says 'touching is good' in sexed-up DS ads

cja

Hitting Sony's kiddie claims head-on.
Nintendo says 'touching is good' in sexed-up DS ads
Sun Oct 24, 2004 01:00 PM ET
By Michele Gershberg

NEW YORK, Oct 24 (Reuters) - Japanese game maker Nintendo Co. Ltd. is sexing up its U.S. advertising to launch the DS handheld device, promising mature players that the gadget is not their little brother's Game Boy.

The No. 1 maker of handheld game devices is spending $40 million in its largest product launch, bracing for all-out war with Sony Corp., which is expected to debut a portable device soon after the Nintendo DS hits U.S. stores on Nov. 21.

But in an unusual move for Nintendo, known for games featuring animated characters Mario and Pokemon, the new ads aim to titillate with the tagline "Touching is Good."

Teaser spots start on Monday, playing up the dual-screen device's touch controls. A woman's sultry voice invites the viewer to come a little closer and get a feel.

"When you're a kid you're always told you can't touch anything," said Perrin Kaplan, vice president of marketing at Nintendo of America. "Touching is good. You're grown-up now, so read it how you want."

Nintendo spent $27 million on U.S. advertising in the first half of 2004, according to TNS Media Intelligence/CMR.

In another departure, Nintendo will launch the model in the United States before Japan to capitalize on the earlier holiday shopping season. The strategy adds a positive marketing edge for U.S. gamers keen on a first stab at new gadgets.

Print ads appear in young men's magazines Maxim and Blender, with a buxom woman holding a DS model and advising, "How to Score! ... Start listening to her needs, playa!"

Longer television commercials will air from Nov. 18 on programs such as animated comedy "South Park." Publicis agency Leo Burnett created the ads.

Industry analysts said Nintendo's ads should draw young adults who are keen on gadgets and the image they project.

"The Game Boy Advance has always been a kids platform," said Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter. "The DS is going to move up the age scale ... and they are going to put some more mature content on there,"

Nintendo's aggressive pricing of $149.99 for the new model is expected to be well below the cost for the Sony PlayStation Portable, which plays music and movies. But both are vying for a more upscale audience.

"Nintendo is differentiating products in a category they already own," said P.J. McNealy of American Technology Research. "Hard-core enthusiasts will buy both (devices). The mainstream won't until the prices come down."

http://www.reuters.com/financeQuote...579&ric=7974.OS&infotype=news&articletype=RTR

Firest0rm

"They have to backup such claims with games"

XX/XO or whatever its called and that Dating Sim game seem to back up the touch me.

neptunes

They have to backup such claims with games

nintendo-ds-box-art-20041019044633725-000.jpg

^^ :lol

why Ubi Soft, why?!?!

Drakken

Print ads appear in young men's magazines Maxim and Blender, with a buxom woman holding a DS model and advising, "How to Score! ... Start listening to her needs, playa!"

Wow....
laugh.gif

Firest0rm said:
"They have to backup such claims with games"

XX/XO or whatever its called and that Dating Sim game seem to back up the touch me.

...and Metroid Prime Hunters, Madden, etc would also appeal to older audiences...

The point is...if they want that market, they have to aggresively support games that sell to them.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
The DS will have the pervert market cornered. "Hard-core Gamer" takes on a whole new meaning.

Deg

Banned
Sounds like a tongue in cheek campaign to show off the touch screen. Its easily the feature that stands out the most and will make people take notice.

Deg

Banned
Scalemail Ted said:
It can change...but you MUST have games that will attract older audiences...and you should have them frequently (not sparsly).

The games that sell are there. Well more than PSP anyway.

Deg said:
The games that sell are there.

On reflection of the launch titles I'll agree, so lets see if Nintendo will properly advertise. The PR posted above seems to be a promising indication; but for nintendo's sake, I hope the PR department and the developers are on the same lines.

Deku Tree

If Nintendo wants to appeal to older audiences they need to get some bloody, sex'd up new franchises to put on it or at least convince some other developers to do it. Do dating sims have a big appeal outside of Japan? Let's get some gory Wi-Fi FPS action going with those touch screen controls!

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Scalemail Ted said:
The PR posted above seems to be a promising indication; but for nintendo's sake, I hope the PR department and the developers are on the same lines.
Nintendo will always be Nintendo. And Nintendo is always going to do games that can be played by everyone. All they can do is advertise and try to convince developers to keep an open mind. Unfortunately, most 3. parties don't really want to see Nintendo become the dominant player as they fear the power of Nintendo's inhouse productions. Even before the GC and Xbox had launched GC was being labelled the kiddy platform while Xbox was for the hardcore. This before any real advertising, before a single unit had been sold of either. How can hardware be kiddy or hardcore?

Ultimately, the games will define the profile of a platform. And the lack of proper support from developers turns into a self-fulfilling profecy. That is the reality of the situation.

cybamerc said:
Nintendo will always be Nintendo. And Nintendo is always going to do games that can be played by everyone. All they can do is advertise and try to convince developers to keep an open mind. Unfortunately, most 3. parties don't really want to see Nintendo become the dominant player as they fear the power of Nintendo's inhouse productions. Even before the GC and Xbox had launched GC was being labelled the kiddy platform while Xbox was for the hardcore. This before any real advertising, before a single unit had been sold of either. How can hardware be kiddy or hardcore?

Ultimately, the games will define the profile of a platform. And the lack of proper support from developers turns into a self-fulfilling profecy. That is the reality of the situation.

Thats exactly what I've been trying to say. Thanks.

It all comes down to the games that are released on the system. Its fine for Nintendo to advertize towards older gamers but you must have broad support if you truely want to appeal to them.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Link316 said:
the DS (a product that hasn't even been released yet) image (or should I say, my opinion of that image) isn't going to change (might as well say CAN'T be changed 'cos my opinion = truth), especially not with Mario 64 (which is going to be the first major 3D *portable* game, oh wait Mario is no longer cool 'cos Mario Sunshine didn't sell well) being the (IMO, only) high profiled launch title (and that my opinion deems otherwise, let's ignore that this is a MAINSTREAM press article taking notice of Nintendo changing/fixing thier image and that the masses will also ignore that a higher-priced, more sophisticated gaming portable isn't going to attract older gamers)

FIXED!

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I hope there's more to the maketing than just this.

If I were in charge of marketing the DS...

I would split the campaign into 3 segments; 14 & under, general audience, and mature audience.

With the 14- ads, I would stress the characters...Pokemon, Mario, Rayman etc... and stress the GBA compatibility. This is the group that you would want to have DS be regarded as the GBA2. Run these ads during Saturday morning cartoons, etc.

With the mature audience, stress the PDA-like features.... the touch screen, the wireless multiplayer, Wi-Fi etc... and use the games like XX/XY and Crush/Sprung, but let games like Metroid, Madden and NFS be the primary examples. Guys might be intrigued by those girly-games, but they'll be sold by the brand name titles. Runs these at places, when there will be no cross over between this and the 14- campaign.

Then run the general campaign as little bit of both. Leave out the GBA BC and Pokemon, and remove XX/XY from this campaign. Don't use some silly slogan that tries to make it seem cool; people can see right through them, if that's all there is. Sell the system for its features, price and games. Run these everywhere.

u_neek

I'm sooo picking up Feel the Magic.... and i'm quite interested in trying out Sprung - I wanna know what the Japanese love so much about that genre.

Deg

Banned
JJConrad said:
I hope there's more to the maketing than just this.

If I were in charge of marketing the DS...

I would split the campaign into 3 segments; 14 & under, general audience, and mature audience.

With the 14- ads, I would stress the characters...Pokemon, Mario, Rayman etc... and stress the GBA compatibility. This is the group that you would want to have DS be regarded as the GBA2. Run these ads during Saturday morning cartoons, etc.

With the mature audience, stress the PDA-like features.... the touch screen, the wireless multiplayer, Wi-Fi etc... and use the games like XX/XY and Crush/Sprung, but let games like Metroid, Madden and NFS be the primary examples. Guys might be intrigued by those girly-games, but they'll be sold by the brand name titles. Runs these at places, when there will be no cross over between this and the 14- campaign.

Then run the general campaign as little bit of both. Leave out the GBA BC and Pokemon, and remove XX/XY from this campaign. Don't use some silly slogan that tries to make it seem cool; people can see right through them, if that's all there is. Sell the system for its features, price and games. Run these everywhere.

you have no clue...

Then again you dont get paid for that stuff anyway :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
GBA:SP had those B&W ads with the guy and the girl in the bed - "2nd best thing you can do in the dark". Don't know how well those ads did for them, but this wouldn't be the first time they wanted to appeal to older demographics with their ads.

Deg

Banned
Marconelly said:
GBA:SP had those B&W ads with the guy and the girl in the bed - "2nd best thing you can do in the dark". Don't know how well those ads did for them, but this wouldn't be the first time they wanted to appeal to older demographics with their ads.

Dont forget TOuch screen is receiving plenty of focus here too. :)

Link316 said:
the DS image isn't going to change, especially not with Mario 64 being the high profiled launch title

There's a hitch, something you've obviously over looked.

Mario 64 came out when I was 14. Now I'm going to be 23 when it comes out for DS. I remember the day I got an N64 and was so excited to play this game. Heck, I even pretended to be sick for a day because I was on the last Bowser fight and I could not wait to beat the game after school.

A lot of guys and gals have a fondness for Mario 64. This interests me, and you bet the first game I'll be playing with my DS is Mario 64.

You also have an age group that was not even born when Mario 64 was out. I happen to work at a school that has this age group, and from what a few of the kids have told me, they're excited to get to play the DS because it's a new "Gameboy" and it has a new Mario game on it.

If anything, having Mario 64 will sell to both audiences and build a nice ground for future releases for many age groups. And the Gameboy audience who plays Pokemon and such won't tell the difference between the DS and a Gameboy. It's from Nintendo, it plays GBA games, it's a Gameboy either way to them.

neptunes

I think that marketing campaign is for all of nintendo's plans this fall.

MKDD + GC: Bundle
new additions to players choice.
Metroid Prime: Echoes
NDS

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
kitchenmotors said:

Mario 64 came out when I was 14. Now I'm going to be 23 when it comes out for DS. I remember the day I got an N64 and was so excited to play this game. Heck, I even pretended to be sick for a day because I was on the last Bowser fight and I could not wait to beat the game after school.

A lot of guys and gals have a fondness for Mario 64. This interests me, and you bet the first game I'll be playing with my DS is Mario 64.

You also have an age group that was not even born when Mario 64 was out. I happen to work at a school that has this age group, and from what a few of the kids have told me, they're excited to get to play the DS because it's a new "Gameboy" and it has a new Mario game on it.

If anything, having Mario 64 will sell to both audiences and build a nice ground for future releases for many age groups.

Perfect summary. Nostalgia for the old gamers with some extras, and for a lot of TEH KIDDIEZ, it's a new game, a new Mario. Besides, I don't think ANYONE in the industry would label Mario 64 as kiddie. And anyone who does, will get ignored by the general gaming population. Mario 64 is just that damn good, and that damn popular and renowned.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
kitchenmotors said:

If anything, having Mario 64 will sell to both audiences and build a nice ground for future releases for many age groups. And the Gameboy audience who plays Pokemon and such won't tell the difference between the DS and a Gameboy. It's from Nintendo, it plays GBA games, it's a Gameboy either way to them.

I thought this was about image though, not sales? Maybe Mario 64 isn't "kiddie", but it's not "mature" either. If they're aiming to change their image, I doubt Mario 64 will make a difference.

Deg

Banned
For the software what matters is that they have the 3rd party titles mainly for now. Metroid demo should be pretty good. There are a good mix of games with broad appeal.

Link316

Banned
kitchenmotors said:

don't know if you realized this, but you just summed up the same 2 groups that Nintendo systems now mostly appeal to, their older loyal following and the younger gamers

Deg

Banned
Link316 said:
don't know if you realized this, but you just summed up the same 2 groups that Nintendo systems now mostly appeal to, their older loyal following and the younger gamers

How much did Mario sell again?

Link316

Banned
what does Mario sales have to do with anything? strong Mario sales would actually hurt their $40M effort in trying to convince older non Nintendo gamers that the DS isn't just about more Mario and Pokemon

Ristamar

:lol

I saw that ad yesterday. Certainly, eh... unexpected.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Link316 said:
what does Mario sales have to do with anything? strong Mario sales would actually hurt their $40M effort in trying to convince older non Nintendo gamers that the DS isn't just about more Mario and Pokemon

Just like the prominant display of Mario, Donkey Kong, and other nintendo old school IPs in Nintendo's Who Are You NES Classics campaign hurt the chances of the NES GBASP of appealing to older gamers!

Oh wait...

snapty00

Banned
I'm just hoping that:

1.) Nintendo doesn't give up on this for-adults idea after six months or so. Usually, if something doesn't work out for Nintendo immediately, they just give up. I'm hoping that won't be the case this time.

2.) Nintendo understands what the majority of adults want. I really don't think the majority of adult want games with overt sex in them. Most adults I know like sports games...and that's almost it. A few like puzzle games and cards games. Most don't like junk like Mario or Pokemon. Most adults I know like games between the two extremes of childishness and pervertedness.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
how embarrassing for nintendo. witless, sexualized ads for games like bloodrayne and sudeki are depressing enough. witless, sexualized ads for mario and pokémon are just that step too depressing. i wonder who they think they're fooling.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
drohne said:
how embarrassing for nintendo. witless, sexualized ads for games like bloodrayne and sudeki are depressing enough. witless, sexualized ads for mario and pokémon are just that step too depressing. i wonder who they think they're fooling.

I've been wondering about this for a while... what is that thing in your avatar?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it's kenji the lawyer. he represents the sf kosmo gang.

oh fine, i won't be a dick: it's a character from bangaioh.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Nintendo's advertising was so bad at the beginning of this generation that people are (and are going to be) **surprized** by thier newer ad's, even if they seem only semi-good to most people. I think Nintendo really shot themselves in the foot alot with GAMECUBE...so much that people are expecting Nintendo to just forever suck. But when they see Nintendo hitting the nostalgia chord more effectivly, starting to fix thier image a bit and definatly turning thier advertising around I think the mainstream masses will be more "open" to accept Nintendo even with thier flaws. I don't think this "lower thier expectations then surprize them" was a part of thier plan in the beginning, but they're definatly going to use that to thier advantage in the coming year I believe. People are expecting the Revolution to continue the "Nintendo downfall", they're going to to expect it to have no online, they're going to expect it to be under powered, brightly colored, toy-like & have an alienating interface, they're gonna expect Nintendo will disappoint. But then when it's finally unveiled I think MANY will be surprized.

You remember how (before E3) Mr. Iwata told the press that he only expected a half a dozen people to be excited for the DS at E3...then BAM...developers, the press & gamers were all cheering for the thing and Mr. Iwata comes out all shits'n'giggles saying how Nintendo was "most proud" of the DS, above all thier other acheivments in gaming. Now the mainstream press and analysts (who've always been anti-Nintendo) are expecting nothing but goodness from the DS. If this even gives us an *inkling* of what's in store for Revolution (feature wise) and thier chances for being taken seriously next generation (reaction wise) then I'm telling you...Nintendo will surprize us when the Revolution is unveiled!

GDGF

Soothsayer
I think bumping up the sexiness of the advertising makes great sense. First, people want sexy hardware. Ever since this industry began (or since the introduction of compitition made it an issue, anyway) people have been talking about the sexiness of their hardware. and Second, the NDS (with it's touchscreen) is a very tactile machine. It's all about touching. It's a perfect opportunity to go for a sensual approach, because there aren't really borders between you and the machine anymore.

DrGAKMAN said:
Nintendo's advertising was so bad at the beginning of this generation that people are (and are going to be) **surprized** by thier newer ad's, even if they seem only semi-good to most people. I think Nintendo really shot themselves in the foot alot with GAMECUBE...so much that people are expecting Nintendo to just forever suck. But when they see Nintendo hitting the nostalgia chord more effectivly, starting to fix thier image a bit and definatly turning thier advertising around I think the mainstream masses will be more "open" to accept Nintendo even with thier flaws. I don't think this "lower thier expectations then surprize them" was a part of thier plan in the beginning, but they're definatly going to use that to thier advantage in the coming year I believe. People are expecting the Revolution to continue the "Nintendo downfall", they're going to to expect it to have no online, they're going to expect it to be under powered, brightly colored, toy-like & have an alienating interface, they're gonna expect Nintendo will disappoint. But then when it's finally unveiled I think MANY will be surprized.

You remember how (before E3) Mr. Iwata told the press that he only expected a half a dozen people to be excited for the DS at E3...then BAM...developers, the press & gamers were all cheering for the thing and Mr. Iwata comes out all shits'n'giggles saying how Nintendo was "most proud" of the DS, above all thier other acheivments in gaming. Now the mainstream press and analysts (who've always been anti-Nintendo) are expecting nothing but goodness from the DS. If this even gives us an *inkling* of what's in store for Revolution (feature wise) and thier chances for being taken seriously next generation (reaction wise) then I'm telling you...Nintendo will surprize us when the Revolution is unveiled!
well said I think, and dear god I hope you're right.. I've always kinda thought that Nintendo's "slump" that started this generation was not really do so much to "lack of hype" or anything like that, but that there were some issues at first with the transfer from Yamauchi to Iwata. It seemed like things got off to a bit of a rocky start, but if anything seems to hold well for the future, it's that they're starting to get things back on again, if only the very beginning. The next few years will literally make or break them, like many people have said before. Yeah, they'll always have a loyal but small base, me included, but for how long can you last like that?

Top Bottom