• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo says 'touching is good' in sexed-up DS ads

SantaC

shuri said:
Nintendo trying to act cool, sexy and hip with their marketing is like seeing Grandpa in baggy pants, wearing a trucker hat. They should just stick to the classic image

It seems that whatever Nintendo try to do, people complain.

Culex

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
It seems that whatever Nintendo try to do, people complain.

Yes, that sums it up there. People complain that they are "kiddy" yet when Nintendo tries to do something more mature, they get bagged by ignorant fools.

There are too many people who just love to hate the big N, no matter what they do.

AniHawk

Have only read a bit from Page 2, so here's my two cents:

I don't think the ads are necessarily a bad idea. I just think, like all ads, that they can backfire. The GBA has always been able to get away with "cool" commercials, while the GC hasn't (weren't really cool, but I'm talking the launch ads). Nintendo's also advertised using sex before, but in Europe. So this isn't anything new to them. However, I think it's good that they're trying to reach out for a different audience this time. Maybe Feel the Magic and Sprung will have boosted sales on top of the fact that they're launch titles.

I find interesting that NCL's big thing about the DS is the fact that it has two screens, and later in NCL, and now in NoA, it's the touch screen. Heh.

ge-man

I frankly don't see what the whinning is about. If Nintendo wants to reach different groups, tailoring their advertising to those groups is a no brainer. I find it funny how some people want to argue that Nintendo should just be themselves and then they will turn around in another thread and say something about Nintendo needing to change their image.

I think cybamerc has the right idea--Nintendo prefers or even encourages 3rd parties to fill in the gaps. However they don't want to step up to the plate because they think Nintendo's image will affect sales, thus the cycle begins. Nintendo really wants to have an "everybody" system but their legacy has become their biggest enemy. However, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't make an attempt to fix the problem and having a broad consumer base is their goal.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Culex said:
Yes, that sums it up there. People complain that they are "kiddy" yet when Nintendo tries to do something more mature, they get bagged by ignorant fools.

There are too many people who just love to hate the big N, no matter what they do.
You have to acknowledge though that in between "kiddy" marketing and sultry and titillating marketing, there's a wide gulf of alternative advertising options, many of which would be considered mature without having to be either kiddy or sultry and titillating.

SantaC

kaching said:
You have to acknowledge though that in between "kiddy" marketing and sultry and titillating marketing, there's a wide gulf of alternative advertising options, many of which would be considered mature without having to be either kiddy or sultry and titillating.

So why should they go with alternative advertising options? Are you offended?

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
Which actually, Nintendo advertising usually is. I believe "kiddy" referred more generally to Nintendo rather than their commercials specifically.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
SantaCruzer - No, not offended at all. Just pointing out that there are other options.

Jarrod - I agree, in general. Just discussing their approach to NA marketing of DS, from what's described in the article cja posted.

Insertia

This is pretty stupid.

You don't appeal to older audiences by making blatant sexed-up ads.
And considering DS only has like 3 games to back up its 'mature' advertising makes it look all the more impractical.

This is Nintendo's desperate attempt at appealing to older gamers before PSP arrives, and it's not a very good attempt.

jarrod

Banned
Insertia said:
This is pretty stupid.

You don't appeal to older audiences by making blatant sexed-up ads.
And considering DS only has like 3 games to back up its 'mature' advertising makes it look all the more impractical.

This is Nintendo's desperate attempt at appealing to older gamers before PSP arrives, and it's not a very good attempt.
Eh, the DS launch lineup seems pretty diverse in terms of target audience actually (Madden to Sprung to Ridge Racer to Mario) and I still don't see the inherent problem most have with Nintendo using sex in advertising? It's not like they're blazing new ground here, everyone uses sex to sell products in America. Impractical or not.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
jarrod said:
Actually Nintendo sold well over twice that many hardware units... they've sold about 170 million Game Boys though.
uhh... you realise you're correcting Nintendo themselves right?

I don't necesarily want Nintendo to advertise so blatently to adults but to become more "neutral" in their advertising and ultimately their image. Take the GBA SP as the best example. It's very stylish, practical and appeals equally to both adults and kids whereas the original Indigo GameCube was and is clearly catered strictly for kids under 10. The NDS continues what the GBASP started by truely appealing to both kids and adults. The commercials seem to be "trying" too hard to capture the adult audience but I guess it's still much much better then "clean is better then dirty" which was truely appauling and appealed to no one.

Che

Banned
OMG Nintendo is teh blatant! They're all going to hell cause they didn't meet out ultra conservative standards!!!

jedimike

So DS is indeed the 3rd pillar... they want to market it to an older demographic. Fine, whatever they think they need to do. It looks like they are trying to fight PSP with DS like MS wants to fight PS3 with Xenon.

Launch earlier and hope and pray that you gain enough momentum and marketshare to carry you through. Nintendo has more bullets in the chamber than MS... if they choose to fire them.

That's been the problem with their 2nd pillar (GameCube). The dumb bastards had all the tools they needed to throttle MS before they even got started... but they never used them because of their ultra conservative business practices.

Also, I believe Nintendo has had the best marketing campaign of any current gen consoles. Their ads have always been witty and brilliant.

Here's the bullets I'm talking about:

Online gaming - I've heard all the arguments a million times justifiying Nintendo's decision. When you're talking about image, lack of online gaming means Nintendo is a 3rd rate console. They aren't doing anything on the cutting edge of gaming. - image wise

price - Their biggest advantage and they fubared it. They blew their load on the $99 price point way too early. I understand they had to do it to come close to FY expectations, but they should have exausted other means first... like agressive bundling and advertising. Imagine what a boost a price drop would give them now.

franchises - Everyone still loves Mario and Link, they just don't want the same game they played 10 years ago repackaged with prettier graphics. Exploit those characters. Let Mario carry a 2x4. Let Link man handle Zelda. If Nintendo wants the money then they have to get with the times. What worked for them in the 80's won't work today.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Scalemail Ted said:
It can change...but you MUST have games that will attract older audiences...and you should have them frequently (not sparsly).

hi. GBA SP attracts the older audience. why is that? oh.. thats right. its all about image.

jarrod

Banned
jedimike said:
So DS is indeed the 3rd pillar... they want to market it to an older demographic. Fine, whatever they think they need to do. It looks like they are trying to fight PSP with DS like MS wants to fight PS3 with Xenon.
Heh, I think both DS and Xenon will do better than anyone's generally predicting funny enough. ;)

Being market leader already though, Nintendo in a much better position than Microsoft. Your comparison is pretty superficial.

jedimike said:
Here's the bullets I'm talking about:

Online gaming - I've heard all the arguments a million times justifiying Nintendo's decision. When you're talking about image, lack of online gaming means Nintendo is a 3rd rate console. They aren't doing anything on the cutting edge of gaming. - image wise

price - Their biggest advantage and they fubared it. They blew their load on the $99 price point way too early. I understand they had to do it to come close to FY expectations, but they should have exausted other means first... like agressive bundling and advertising. Imagine what a boost a price drop would give them now.

franchises - Everyone still loves Mario and Link, they just don't want the same game they played 10 years ago repackaged with prettier graphics. Exploit those characters. Let Mario carry a 2x4. Let Link man handle Zelda. If Nintendo wants the money then they have to get with the times. What worked for them in the 80's won't work today.
Well, it seems DS is already a shoe -in for market leader if that's the criteria. It's online, it's cheap and it's loaded with mainstream franchises. :)

xsarien

daedsiluap
Mike, right now, the mainstream gamer really doesn't care about online gaming. Next generation? Maybe, sure. But right now we're dealing with an Average Person who can barely understand the difference between their cable modem and their ethernet card; not exactly a population that's ready to take the dive and figure out how to get their XBox or PS2 online. If anything's hitting Nintendo's image, it's the fact that the GCN's launch - first impressions are always important - showed the world a diminutive purple box.

I'm honestly anxious to see just how "easy" Nintendo's made DS online gaming, considering that's been one of the two major sticking points with them.

NEW?

TouchingIsGood_t.jpg

I Like!!!

LINK

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Nintendo trying to get rid of their kiddy image is not new, as a matter of fact, they've been changing their image slowly in Europe (atleast in the handheld gaming scene) ever since the GBASP released.

here are some examples:

http://www.nintendo-europe.com/gameboyadvancesp/style/download/800x600/gbasp_wallpaper3.jpg

http://www.nintendo-europe.com/gameboyadvancesp/style/download/800x600/gbasp_wallpaper4.jpg

http://www.nintendo-europe.com/gameboyadvancesp/style/download/800x600/gbasp_wallpaper11.jpg

GDGF

Soothsayer
From the sound of it, this ad campaign seems similar to the old ENOS lives Playstation launch ads. It's an attempt to target (and perpetuate) culture. A new culture of gamers who want new, more intimate gaming experiences. Just as the flashing X's O's triangles and squares of old drew in new consumers with its (at the time) cryptic imagery, Nintendo's disembodied voice yearning for consumers to 'touch' should do the same. It seems (in writing) to be a great campaign. It seems timely. It seems right.

jedimike

xsarien said:
Mike, right now, the mainstream gamer really doesn't care about online gaming. Next generation? Maybe, sure. But right now we're dealing with an Average Person who can barely understand the difference between their cable modem and their ethernet card; not exactly a population that's ready to take the dive and figure out how to get their XBox or PS2 online. If anything's hitting Nintendo's image, it's the fact that the GCN's launch - first impressions are always important - showed the world a diminutive purple box.

I'm honestly anxious to see just how "easy" Nintendo's made DS online gaming, considering that's been one of the two major sticking points with them.

Like I said, purely from an image perspective. Even though less than 10% of Xbox owners subscribe to XBL, I guarantee that 100% of all Xbox owners know about it. They know what it is for and what it is about. They know that MS is on the cutting edge of gaming, that they are a leader in the industry. It feeds into MS's image and detracts from the GC's image.

The image of GC right now is one of failure... rehashed franchises and an inferior product.

xsarien

daedsiluap
jedimike said:
The image of GC right now is one of failure... rehashed franchises and an inferior product.

Ah, the ever-nebulous "rehash" argument, coupled with "The Gamecube is failure because Nintendo didn't take it online." I do believe this is what the kids call "a [t]roll."

In your world, sure. Reality has the two systems duking it out for the PS2's sloppy seconds.

Its been the negative publicity thats been hurting Nintendo recently.

For example, I don't think having no online service is necessarily a negative, but when its constantly mentioned and then connoted to imply and mean that Nintendo is behind the competiton; it results in a type of negative publicity which tarnishes the overall image on the Nintendo brand.

Critical Questions:
When was the last time you saw a media outlet report positive news concerning Nintendo? When was the last time you saw a media outlet report negative news concerning Nintendo? Are the two about equal?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Scalemail Ted said:
Critical Questions:
When was the last time you saw a media outlet report positive news concerning Nintendo? When was the last time you saw a media outlet report negative news concerning Nintendo? Are the two about equal?

I honestly don't keep score, but the fact that Nintendo called the press to up their earning estimates for the year caused some good news.

Also, this blurb today:
http://www.business2.com/b2/web/articles/0,17863,714619,00.html?cnn=yes

jarrod

Banned
Scalemail Ted said:
Critical Questions:
When was the last time you saw a media outlet report positive news concerning Nintendo?
Whenever Game Boy Advance or Nintendo DS are mentioned.

Scalemail Ted said:
When was the last time you saw a media outlet report negative news concerning Nintendo?
Whenever GameCube's mentioned.

Scalemail Ted said:
Are the two about equal?
Nope, I'm seeing way more attention given to DS/GBA at this point. ;)

LOL...

I don't mean to be negative. I'm just proding around to understand how the market operates and how it affects Nintendos brand.

The questions I asked were geared more for a reflection basis. I wanted to see if my statement had any validity.

Edit: You do make good points. When a system appears to be succesful then it gets good press, if its deemed as not successful it gets negative press.

But if I remember correctly, the Gamecube got some good reception at E3 2004. :p

ge-man

Scalemail Ted said:
LOL...

I don't mean to be negative. I'm just proding around to understand how the market operates and how it affects Nintendos brand.

The questions I asked were geared more for a reflection basis. I wanted to see if my statement had any validity.

It's a good question. I think Jarrod hit it on the nail with his answer. The GC is almost always seen in a negative light. I think another element to all this is people expecting Nintendo to bow out. I get the sense that some believe that Nintendo should go if they aren't going to be playing the exact same game as Sony and MS. Someone posted something Trip Hawkins said about Nintendo not going the multimedia route the other day and that comment fits what I'm talking about. That kind of thinking in terms of the competition has also beat the system into the ground.

olimario

Banned
We need some cooperation.
One capture card owning GAF member watching football
One watching wrestling.

I have webspace.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just for those who can't remember back ten years, here is a short history lesson in Nintendo marketing. Nintendo's subsidiaries in US and Europe have been trying to do 'edgy' stuff since 1994.

Play it Loud campaign, NOA, 1994 - 1995
In 1994, Nintendo started to feel the heat of Sega's coolness. Leo Burnett was commissioned to refresh the Nintendo brand to a more edgy direction. Starting with Super Metroid in March/April 1994, Nintendo had cool print ads with a cutting edge, davidcarsonish look to promote the new, mature Nintendo. However, the Nintendo titles that followed didn't quite stay in the mature domain.

However, the advertising and product got out of synch soon enough again. The kiddy but great Stunt Race FX was promoted with a shocking school lunch tray, "this is the most you can loose playing Stunt Race FX". Then came the awesome, but yet again younger-skewed Donkey Kong Country, with TV commercials featuring an insane sheriff. This was followed with a smashed kidsroom for Yoshi's Island. Nintendo was back in it's roots again.

Change the System campaign, NOA, 1996
To launch the cutting edge, Silicon Graphics system, Nintendo and Leo Burnett created a politically inspired campaign shouting about change the system. In the pre-launch commercials, cool looking young guys and girls had gathered to the desert for what appered to be a party. However, it appeared that they were waiting for a train of future entertainment, with giant screens showing 3D N64 content. The coolest looking guy of them all lifted his Diesel shades and said "wow".

However, already for the launch phase, Nintendo met the disparity between it's launch portfolio and mature marketing approach. So, due to the brilliance that was Super Mario 64, we ended up seeing commercials with Mario spinning Bowser from the tail and then a close-up of N64 and then the shout "Change the System". Huh?

Feel Everything campaign, NOE, 1998
In 1998, Nintendo of Europe realized that they had an image problem of being too kiddy. After an agency pitch, a cool British agency Leagas-Delaney, known for their Adidas relaunch, was commissioned to do the job.

They ended up creating probably the most expensive advertising films Nintendo has ever done, shot to film and spotting the different emotions the gamer feels when playing - quick cuts of space rockets, convertibles, spas and more. It was just so confusing that I can't recall it very well anymore. Well, the campaign was apparently a failure, and with Pokémon coming in 1999 to Europe, in an attempt to quickly forget this rebranding failure and sacked the agency, going back to inhouse Photoshop work for Pokémon.

Life´s a game campaign, NOA 2001, NOE 2002
To introduce GameCube in a cool way, Nintendo went back to Leo Burnett again. Now, they wanted some really spectacular films that would encapsulate the unique form factor of GameCube and look good on MTV. So, Leo Burnett produced the extremelly high-budget, effect-heavy, beautiful cube films for the US launch.

Because of what I suspect was the "not invented here" problem, Nintendo of Europe tweaked the campaign a bit to "fit the European tastes better". So, an European Leo Burnett office changed the techno track of the commercial, came up with the new "Life's a game" tagline, a horrible technoish font and colored the grey background of the print ads purple. Now it was certainly more fitting for European market! Well, at least we can assume that the European Leo Burnett office got to send a fat bill for a no-brainer "localization" work.

However cool this campaign was, it didn't change the fact that the best games available included Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Super Smash Brothers, Super Mario Sunshine and Zelda: Wind Waker. And that the device was purple. So, the coolness was over pretty soon.

Best thing you can do in the dark campaign, NOE, 2003
In early 2003, Nintendo launched the cool GBA sp and had an agency, probably Leo Burnett, to create a more mature campaign. Having absolutely beautiful black and white fashion shots and minimalist typography, it played with the sexiness of the device design. However, outside the hardcore gamer group, GBA still attracted mainly the young gamers. Hence, with the new Pokémon games, this was yet another mature campaign to fade into history.

Touching is good campaign, NOA, 2004
Now, Nintendo is going the sexy route again. Whether Nintendo remains to be trapped by its own success to the younger demographic remains to be seen. However, looking at the first-party titles from Japan, they are the Nintendo we have come to love. Super Mario 64 DS, Pokémon Dash, Band Brothers, Wario Ware DS, Hito-whatever, Yoshi's Touch and Go, Puppy Times. Great games many hardcore gamers will enjoy, but more importantly, games that a young demographic will apperciate. Will Metroid Prime Hunters and Ridge Racer be enough to counter these? Time will tell.

Nintendo's realized marketing strategy 1994 - 2004
Henry Mintzberg, a strategy professor, proposes that there are two flows that form a strategy, intended and emergent strategies. These combined form the realized strategy. Looking back the ten years, Nintendo's strategy seems to be to introduce the platform with a heavily mature campaign, whatever the games. Then, with the launch done, they return back to their roots with concepts appealing to younger demographics (and us odd Nintendophiles). Is this strategy intended to ensure a good market entry? Or emergent due to NCLs product portfolio? Will it be repeated in the future? My bet is yes.

LowTecky

Sorry if this has been said already....

You have to remember that the NDS is Nintendo's third pillar. While many of you may not believe this, they seem to. So in order to not infringe on the SP userbase, which is overwhelmingly younger than the GameCube even, they're marketing towards the teens.

fugimax

I can record Monday Night Football...just got a new tuner card for my powermac.

Any idea when the commercials are airing? Someone at a TV station should have access to the list of commercials and cue times.. (these are sometimes even made public).

GDGF

Soothsayer
Nice history lesson, Chittagong. The Play It Loud campaign is still my favorite of the Nintendo ad campaigns (well, since Now You're Playing With Power, that is :))

Anyone remember the Killer Instinct "Play It Loud" spots?

Also you left off the infamous Perfect Dark and Conker's Bad Fur Day campaigns.

It seemed like after the success of GoldenEye, Nintendo started to heavily focus on the older market, but then backed off again after PD/Conker underperformed, Pokemon became huge in the US, etc.

That one E3, Eternal Darkness, Riqa, Starcraft 64, Command & Conquer 64, Sin & Punishment, etc. all came outta no where and they had the Conker open bar that was serving beer. It seemed like for the first time in a while they had a respectable lineup of titles for older players on tap.

Top Bottom