• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo shares sink with sluggish switch sales

Holammer

Why do I always hear COVID helped the Switch? Didn't it help all 3? What am I missing?
Yes, but I'm pretty sure it helped Switch & Animal Crossing a lot. It even helped Steam tons, with concurrent records me and many others thought would remain undefeated for years to come (they did not).

25G5TEA.gif

It's time, Nintendo.

forsakkenSoul

Neo Member
Yeah Elios pointed that out. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this line:

"Nintendo reported net profit of $551 million, below expectations of $482 million"

But I'm sure there's something I'm missing/misunderstanding there too.

whoever wrote the article made the mistake of saying that the profit was lower than expected, but the data is correct:

Here's how Nintendo did in its first fiscal quarter, ended June 30, compared to LSEG's estimates:

Revenue: 246.6 billion Japanese yen (US$ 1.65 billion) against 289.61 billion yen expected.

Net profit: 80.9 billion Japanese yen against 70.73 billion yen expected.

they gained in Net profit but lost in Revenue. and the 55% loss is compared to the previous year.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I need a new Switch so I need Nintendo to drop the price or announce the new one. This is the worst time to need/want a new one. :messenger_grimmacing_

Robb

Gold Member
Don't think it's going to beat PS2's 155m units sold
They maintained their 13.5M forecast though, indicating that these numbers were within expectation for the quarter.

If things keep going their way they’ll be at 154.82M by March 2025. So 155M+ is pretty much a guarantee.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Drop the price and go all out on clearing house for the rest of the year, then drop new hardware early next year. Do it Nintendo.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
A temporary dip. Nothing Nintendo needs to worry about.

I'm scared shitless for Nintendo. I just have doubts they can follow up the Switch with something good enough. The pressure is on..

What would be good enough? For me, a more powerful console with backwards compatibility with Switch software would do the trick.

However, this hasn't always been a winning formal in the past. For example, the DS was a monster, but the 3DS couldn't match the same success.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
A temporary dip. Nothing Nintendo needs to worry about.

What would be good enough? For me, a more powerful console with backwards compatibility with Switch software would do the trick.

However, this hasn't always been a winning formal in the past. For example, the DS was a monster, but the 3DS couldn't match the same success.
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. The 3DS was a pretty good product, with good tecnology and awesome games. But it sold almost half of what the DS sold. That's a HUGE drop.

Nintendo is gonna be OK, but it's better for the medium if they continue their success. I'm a little uncertain because of what has happened in the past. That's all..

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Despite being a successful company with tons of profit, some reason this company has always had a shitty stock.

Play with the time metrics and you'll see it's never took off like other profitable tech companies.

There's something weird about that because the company has consistently very good profit margins % too.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Nintendo is gonna be OK, but it's better for the medium if they continue their success. I'm a little uncertain because of what has happened in the past. That's all..
Hopefully they’re prepping lots of software as we speak. They’ll likely be facing lower hardware and software sales alongside more expensive development budgets with the next system.

I’m sure they’ll still be very successful, but I personally can’t see them being able to replicate the Switch’s success. It has been an absolute monster.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
All they need to do is drop the Switch OLED to $250 and the Switch Lite to $150 before the holidays and they’ll easily overtake the PS2.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
That would be worse for profits.
That is not how markets work. If there is enough demand at 250 then they could sell more systems and more games. Its a big If, but there is more to it than just the profit per HW unit sold.

LQX

Nintendo stock tends to go nowhere. Stagnant 24/7 until big news of a movie or new console. I pretty much treat it like a savings account or some ETF. It will be close to $15-$17 once the Switch 2 is announced and released, then stagnate again at a new high.

Maybe Nintendo's sales would improve if the had a usable eshop.

Compared to ps5 and Steam, Eshop is a sluggish mess on the console.

Also no way to filter out hentai games. Nintendo doesn't care about the kids.

Last edited:

Caffeine

ye well you cant keep riding on the same device this long. switch 2 is long over due by a couple months tbh.

Last edited:

Three

That is not how markets work. If there is enough demand at 250 then they could sell more systems and more games. Its a big If, but there is more to it than just the profit per HW unit sold.
That's true but I imagine they have attach rates and the profit margins on the games to be able to calculate whether they would benefit or not. They would have done so already if they would. Maybe as the cost of games development reduces with output they will.

K' Dash

Haha take that Nintendo. Now release the fucking Switch 2.

Take what? All those years of profit while never discounting a single dollar from their console and selling games at $60 that are never discounted and selling like hot cakes?

Oh please, they’re devastated, lol.

They will release the new switch and dominate for another 8 years.

Killer8

Investors are fucking stupid. Nintendo have already publicly said that the Switch successor is coming sometime before the end of Q1 2025. Everyone with a brain knows that the Switch will therefore be in its swansong year, with sales of hardware and software naturally in decline.

It's like yelling SELL SELL SELL for Sony stock in the year 1999 when you know the PS2 is right around the corner. Just retarded.

While i believe Nintendo has benefited this generation in numerous ways…1.) Re-releasing Wii U games, 2.) COVID boom w/ Animal Crossing, 3.) luck that their competitors have stumbled with 1st party software…

w/ this said, i worry Nintendo has waited too long and the Switch capitalization for Switch 2 will be diminished.

Despite what anyone says, i believe Nintendo is nervous as hell about releasing Switch 2. (Despite the fact, i personally believe it will sell the best out of Xbox Series, and PS5.)

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
While i believe Nintendo has benefited this generation in numerous ways…1.) Re-releasing Wii U games, 2.) COVID boom w/ Animal Crossing, 3.) luck that their competitors have stumbled with 1st party software…

w/ this said, i worry Nintendo has waited too long and the Switch capitalization for Switch 2 will be diminished.

Despite what anyone says, i believe Nintendo is nervous as hell about releasing Switch 2. (Despite the fact, i personally believe it will sell the best out of Xbox Series, and PS5.)

Every company is nervous about releasing new hardware after a hit, that’s why they need to milk it as long as possible. A price drop would boost sales.

We know very little about Nintendo’s next console, but with a global recession looming, they should hold off as long as possible.

Every company is nervous about releasing new hardware after a hit, that’s why they need to milk it as long as possible. A price drop would boost sales.

We know very little about Nintendo’s next console, but with a global recession looming, they should hold off as long as possible.

Disagree, they should move ahead as soon as they can and capitalize on people with jobs spending money on a console now. Get them to buy the system, that is the hard part. Gaming software is relatively inelastic - you would think it's a luxury good, but people continue spending money on gaming even when they're unemployed. The industry is here to stay and those people need something to do all day, gaming is one of the most popular forms of entertainment.

Seems that a lot of people keep forgetting that the entry level Switch is $199.

They are more interested in profits than getting sales records, for them it’s better to sell systems at $199/299/349 than $149/249/299.

Sony never dropped the price of the PS4 slim at $299 even if the system itself was making money for them.

As for COVID, it helped the system that had better stock, the other 2 had awful stock until mid-end of 2022.

And as every year, I keep seeing people saying that the Switch will sell better in the Holidays than the prior year because now they have better lineup than the year before.

Nintendo has never been stronger. They've got the wealth of experience, years and years to prep for the Switch 2 and underwhelming competition. I'd buy their shares while there is a dip as Switch 2 will sell mega amounts. Nintendo seems to be the only ones who knows how to plan and release first party games consistently.

Last edited:

Nintendo’s nervousness is different.

They dont want to go mobile/pc route and insist on expensive (to design and market) proprietary hardware.

This will take a hit if they stumble. Why market and sell hardware when there is a huge install base waiting to be tapped on pc/mobile ??

WiiU software would have done gangbusters if it was on pc as well, even though their console failed.

The global recession looming, Nintendo should have sheet had it released to start building momentum.

Schmick

Take what? All those years of profit while never discounting a single dollar from their console and selling games at $60 that are never discounted and selling like hot cakes?

Oh please, they’re devastated, lol.

They will release the new switch and dominate for another 8 years.
Haha wow.... its a light hearted joke. Wow. Fanboyism at its finest right there.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Despite being a successful company with tons of profit, some reason this company has always had a shitty stock.

Play with the time metrics and you'll see it's never took off like other profitable tech companies.

There's something weird about that because the company has consistently very good profit margins % too.

It's probably because they have an unusual tendency to be truthful and transparent with their shareholders, while also not believing in chasing every latest trend.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Why do I always hear COVID helped the Switch? Didn't it help all 3? What am I missing?
Definitely hurt PS5. If they could've made more without those shortages from covid? Whoooo boy people wanted that thing the first year especially. Could have easily sold several million more

Top Bottom