• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo sues Mig Switch companies and wants individual buyers names in the lawsuit

VGEsoterica

Another week, another Nintendo story...although this time It's kind of hard to find much fault in what Nintendo is upset about as some of the things these sellers were doing was downright stupid...up to selling flash carts pre-loaded with games and NOT walking away when Nintendo quietly told them to stop...just TELLING Nintendo they would cease and desist...then continuing to sell pre-loaded flash carts anyway? I mean of all the pro idiot moves you could pull that is hall of fame levels of "things you should not do for $1000 Alex"

but in the court filings its come to light that Nintendo wants individual sales records of everyone who purchased one of these devices. For what? Possibly to calculate damages in what I would highly presume would be a settlement and not a court case...but they could 100% take the Direct TV or Napster situation route and try to recover damages from individuals who obtained these pre-loaded flash carts from the two vendors named in the lawsuits.

Things seem to continue to get spicier in the eventual run up to Switch 2 thats for sure

Damien Grief

Neo Member
So these are resellers of the MIG Switch who preload it with games (not the official MIG Switch creators/sellers) before selling it and Nintendo still gave them a chance to stop before suing them and they refused? Hard to feel bad for them. Glad the MIG itself isn't being stopped.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Nintendo:

2c2c287f-f76c-4fc5-898d-0e739d8bbd08_text.gif

VGEsoterica

There is only one problem in Nintendo's approach... what would happen if an eventual buyer HAS all the physical games inside the MiG that he bought?
I mean if you could still provide proof you owned the games and had receipts pre-dating the purchase I think you’d be fine. The flash cart in an of itself, being reverse engineered, isn’t something Nintendo would generally want to pursue a court case on IMO

It’s no surprise this case is wrapped up in pre-loaded cards. That’s a slam dunk

Neff

Don't fuck with Nintendo. Like, just don't do it.

They won't just shut you down, they'll make an example of you to deter others. Fuck around and you will find out.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I still haven’t opened my MIG switch package. I don’t even know why I bought this thing.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Авторские права «Миг-Свитч» 2024 – Являются продуктом «Миг-Свитч», разработанного и произведенного в Российской Федерации. Все права защищены.

I mean, original MiG manufacturer is basically a Russian-based company. Good luck suing Putin, I guess.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I am going to be that guy. I have not purchased one of these but if Nintendo goes after the individuals I will be done buying their products. I have no problem when companies go after those profiting but if they start trying to ruin families over this there are plenty of other options out there.

Codes 208

Gold Member
Don't fuck with Nintendo. Like, just don't do it.

They won't just shut you down, they'll make an example of you to deter others. Fuck around and you will find out.
Just like the ten million dollar lawsuit THAT THEY WON against bowser

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Clearly they want it in order to calculate some quantity of losses, and it helps if they even know the region of each buyer. They aren't going after the consumers, in any case.

But trying to circumvent copyright on current systems, and for profit, is when you deserve to get absolutely destroyed by the legal process. The Yuzu devs were similarly idiotic, raking in tons of cash while openly acknowledging the masses playing the latest Zelda before official release.

AngelMuffin

There is only one problem in Nintendo's approach... what would happen if an eventual buyer HAS all the physical games inside the MiG that he bought?
Seriously doubt someone is buying one of these with just the games they own loaded on them. Of you want alll your games in one place, download them digitally.

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
Just buy this shit on AliExpress, at most Nintendo might be able to get the listing pulled only for it to reappear almost instantly.

HerjansEagleFeeder

Gold Member
What came of this lawsuit against Nintendo for their shitty joy cons designed to fail after a while because they cheaped out on the components? Or did I dream that it happened?

StereoVsn

Selling flash carts is one thing, selling them preloaded with games is just waiting for a lawsuit to happen.

Really idiotic.
Yep, if they are going after preloaded MiG carts that’s understandable.

Edit: Personally I was planning to buy the actual hardware so I don’t have to bring carts with me for kids games when I go on vacation. Less chance to lose them.

Last edited:

Filben

Of you want alll your games in one place, download them digitally.
Not a good option if you already have a big physical collection, especially with those prices Nintendo asks for for their first party titles.

There's a legitimate use for it because it combines the advantages of physical copies with those of digital ones.

Of course this opens up a lot of options for acquiring digital licences without a genuine physical copy, but that's as old as the discussion around emulators and ROMs which goes back decades.

thief183

This might be the nail on the coffin for my Nintendo relation, I can't stand this type of attitude. Ok the seller but going to the buyers? That is too much for my taste. I guess no switch 2 for me. I even regret the 136 games I got on the switch.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I am going to be that guy. I have not purchased one of these but if Nintendo goes after the individuals I will be done buying their products. I have no problem when companies go after those profiting but if they start trying to ruin families over this there are plenty of other options out there.
That is what our justice system does. Punish someone so much more than they could possibly really deserve to make an example of them so as to deter others from committing a petty crime. It is sick.

Pejo

I love Nintendo's games but really hate their legal department. It would seem impossible to legally punish buyers for this type of thing, but I never would have thought that Nintendo could get Yuzu shut down either, and here we are.

Top Bottom