• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo sues Mig Switch companies and wants individual buyers names in the lawsuit

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Probably looking for resellers more than individuals, but doubt they will have any problems scaring the shit out of single buyers also.

lordrand11

I mean if you could still provide proof you owned the games and had receipts pre-dating the purchase I think you’d be fine. The flash cart in an of itself, being reverse engineered, isn’t something Nintendo would generally want to pursue a court case on IMO

It’s no surprise this case is wrapped up in pre-loaded cards. That’s a slam dunk
Nintendo would argue that each individual game has it's own identifying serial hardcoded into it and ergo they didn't obtain a legal copy of their own game and instead got one that's been shared around.

VGEsoterica

Mod chips, rom dumpers, and flashcarts are all completely legal. As are mod services. If this guy actually did preload his modded Switches with games thats a massive self-own.
A self own of epic proportions. Then Nintendo gave them an out and said “stop or else”…and they just kept going

Reminds me of “When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong”

AJUMP23

Shigeru Miyamoto Hello GIF by Leroy Patterson

This is how the serve the court order.

Red5

A self own of epic proportions. Then Nintendo gave them an out and said “stop or else”…and they just kept going

Reminds me of “When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong”

How are they going to sue him while he's based in Saint-Petersburg from what I read?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I still haven’t opened my MIG switch package. I don’t even know why I bought this thing.
Destroy it. 😎

Reminds me of a place we had in town back in the late 90’s. They were advertising modding game consoles for $50, but the worst of the worst is what they sold inside some glass shelves. You’d walk inside and see burned copies of Dreamcast and PS1 games being sold.
They put a switch on my Dreamcast to play imports. You still had to perform a disc swap with a legit game to use it.

I have seen those bootleg NES clones at the mall. They have ROMs of Super Mario Bros being played on the screen too. Feels like a modern R4 for NDS. Yeah, R4 didn’t sell the games in the chip.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

have no problem when companies go after those profiting but if they start trying to ruin families over this there are plenty of other options out there.

I would think they aren't going for those individuals unless they were lazy enough to request having them preloaded. In that case yeah, crush them because of their stupidity. The "backup" scapegoat weakens when you add preloaded roms there.

Down here in Argentina for example you can get the MIG from a reseller and then they will tell you where to find a torrent with all the roms. I have seen videos in YouTube that are empty but got a magent link for a torrent to download the roms. And Chinese sellers send you a direct download link. Literally unless you get roms with the card it's worthless.

Sorcerer

I understand that these dumpers could cause havok in the second hand market. I wonder if Nintendo wants a list of buyers so they can get an idea of where to look for problems when the affected games start showing up in the second hand market? I mean I don't know if this is Nintendo's problem but it seems it will be when customers buy non-working/flagged games from retail stores like Gamestop, I would think. But I could be offbase here.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The more Nintendo does shite like this the more folks think that pirating Nintendo is legit. Stupid company.

DeVeAn

I'm in the minority, but as a life long Nintendo consumer, Wii U burned me. Switch comes and everyone is praising Nintendo. I'm there thinking they want me to re-buy Wii U games on the Switch? Take away my VC collection from progressing into the Switch and want a sub for terrible online? Everyone loves the Switch because they must not have owned a Wii U. I just play the Switch only games and then is collects dust. I'm a SEGA fan and even the Saturn didn't disappoint me or the Dreamcast cut short.

VGEsoterica

I understand that these dumpers could cause havok in the second hand market. I wonder if Nintendo wants a list of buyers so they can get an idea of where to look for problems when the affected games start showing up in the second hand market? I mean I don't know if this is Nintendo's problem but it seems it will be when customers buy non-working/flagged games from retail stores like Gamestop, I would think. But I could be offbase here.
Nintendo will just outright ban those consoles who buy a second hand game that got dumped and pinged their security measures with the certs. Sadly Nintendo does not care if normal users get caught up in used game sales. If anything I’m sure Nintendo dislikes used sales as they see no revenue

Top Bottom