• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKano

I hope that if the Wave Race thing is real, it's the dawn of the revival of Nintendo sports licence (1080°, Mario Strikers...).

Hydrus

News of a port on a better system breaking on release day? Of course it would move the needle of public perception somewhat. Not for all those 3DS game presents under the Christmas trees, but Pokémon has a huge older fanbase who'll most likely see this on imgur or on Social Media.

The older fanbase, such as myself self, is already getting the game and sure as hell ain't gonna wait 4 plus months to play the same game.

I hope that there won't be any huge superleaks anymore.

Everything would've been a lot more hype if Nintendo had it their way.

Of course the upside is that Negative Nancy's will get the shit out of their systems by the real reveal and hopefully won't post crap anymore when the real thing hits the waves. (Yeah, false hopes and such, I know...)

Liam is a good sport, though. I'm hopeful that ER and others will save something for the reveal too. I think that ER said that there won't be a lot of new stuff coming, but I am doubtful that the mouth can be kept shut.

Eurogamer is, well, Eurogamer, and will post everything they can with their cubby little fingers bounding the keyboard so hard that in the end it is hard to separate Space from Enter.

I think that some people started leaking hard because people were admiring Nintendo for keeping the lid so tight. How dare Nintendo do something better than the console twins!

EDIT.
That Nico guy, the French writer, said that there'll be 10-12 first party games in the first year. If I remember right, and if I understood that thing right, been 10 years since I studied French after all... I will try to find the Twitter message.

EDIT2. Oh, he got it in English too!
https://twitter.com/NicoWav/status/799202851054612480

Edit.13,5
Rumour, of course, but the dude has had something spot on anyway, maybe.

Oh, and Emily said (again) that no more nuggets for the hungry before January!

I hope Pokémon comes to Switch. I'm not gonna want to carry around my 3DS after Switch comes out. A Switch version isn't gonna stop me from playing Sun on 3DS now, and again later.

ASIS

Man when you put all of the recent leaks together, you get some pretty sizable info no?

I'm already hyped again. I thought I could keep my carelessness until Jan but I already failed >_>

Emily says she's done

That's nice of her.

I'll be pretty sad if this is true! Hopefully Laura Buzz and Eurogamer can pick up the slack then. I personally enjoy knowing all of this stuff ahead of time, it just scratches a weird itch for me. I also enjoy being able to see the final reveal and pick out more details the first time around because I know things ahead of time.

Malyse

project_x_zone_2_review.jpg

VERSUS

super_smash_bros__wii_u_3ds_wallpaper_by_erron__black-d9karll.jpg

Two games: One that plays like SSB; one that plays like PXZ.

(and Lucina is the star)

Lutherian

Sure, some things don't work in the story. But it's silly to complain about the writing when the main story isn't even the main focus of the game. It's all about the exploration and the world of Mira. That's what makes Xenoblade Chronicles X truly shine. And besides, the writing in a good chunk of normal missions is pretty great. IIRC in the Iwata Asks, the team said they focused specifically on the side missions. They put their heart and soul in the missions.

I 100% agree with your statement. But it's the first time I played a JRPG with a absolutly terrible main quest writing and characters (especially when I wanted to go further in the story to obtain the Skulls and later for the Flight module). It was painfull, and much more painfull because I wanted to love this game for its story and exploration, like I loved Xenoblade Chronicles Wii.

I really hope XenoX 2 won't suffer the same thing, because a RPG needs a main quest that is not written to make people hate every character of the cast (espcially Tatsu and Lao).

Okay okay, barring Genital Jousting, I'm still trying to work out what that Gamexplain teased "unbelievable" game could be.

If Pikmin Souls didn't make the cut, something else pretty unbelievable would be a Rockstar collaboration F-Zero open-world bounty hunting/racing game.

Actually, since we're in the question of the day thread:

What absolutely unbelievable, crazy, weird third party collaboration game do you want or expect to see for Switch?

So, Nico says there going to be 10-12 first party titles within the first year. Let's look at what we know so far.

-3D Mario
-BotW
-Pikmin 4
-Smash
-Mario Kart
-Splatoon
-New IP
-Retros game
-Pokémon

That's 9 games so far from Nintendo. Anybody want to guess another 1 or 2 may be? The Wave Race game? I wonder if he's counting that Mario Racing sports game on 3DS too...

LordKano

So, Nico says there going to be 10-12 first party titles within the first year. Let's look at what we know so far.

-3D Mario
-BotW
-Pikmin 4
-Smash
-Mario Kart
-Splatoon
-New IP
-Retros game
-Pokémon

That's 9 games so far from Nintendo. Anybody want to guess another 1 or 2 may be? The Wave Race game? I wonder if he's counting that Mario Racing sports game on 3DS too...

If you're talking about NicoWav, he's not really a reliable source. But 10-12 first party games seems realistic.

-3D Mario
-BotW
-Pikmin 4
-Smash
-Mario Kart
-Splatoon
-New IP
-Retros game
-Pokémon

Luigi's Mansion 3 and Mario Sunshine HD...

Please Nintendo

Is there any reason to believe that Pikmin 4 isn't the 3DS game?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-20-pikmin-4-in-development-and-very-close-to-completion

I'd honestly say it could go either way, but... In this article, they claim Miyamoto considers Pikmin 4 a "major" Pikmin game. That and the idea of it being "almost done" in 2014 doesn't jive with waiting until next Spring for the 2D game. That being said, we haven't heard anything else about Pikmin 4, so it "could" be the 3DS game. My bets are on Pikmin 4 coming to Switch though.

That's awesome. So I assume that Laura is going to follow them with no leaks until Jan?

Not too sure about Laura. I don't think she's commented. Emily said Eurogamer has more Switch news tomorrow!

Is there any reason to believe that Pikmin 4 isn't the 3DS game?

Well, yesterday Emily listed off games on her Twitter coming to Switch in the first year and she listed Pikmin 4 as one of the games.

Luigi's Mansion 3 and Mario Sunshine HD...

Please Nintendo
Please I need Luigis Mansion 3 and a remake of Sunshine fixing the problems it had!

If you're talking about NicoWav, he's not really a reliable source. But 10-12 first party games seems realistic.
Yeah, it sounds realistic.

maxcriden

Yeah I saw that but several really only means more than 1, in the strictest definition of the term. And I'm still a bit confused about the report that QA testing can only begin until after the game is finished localization.

I think if Nintendo truly wants/needs it to be there at launch or in the launch window then they'll make it happen.

Ordinarily you know I am delighted to soak up your effervescent optimism. :) I wrote up a post about the semiotic excess surrounding the word 'several' -- I'm no etymologist but funnily enough have had this discussion before on another subject, but on this very word -- but what I was writing sounded pretty silly so I will just suffice to say I agree with your confusion about the report as you mentioned, I completely understand where you're coming from about the word meaning, and whatever quibbles I have about the word several itself and its linguistic multitude of interpretations in casual speech, I will partake in as much of your optimism as I can, and I hope the game comes out as soon as possible.

Awesome thread!

Love to see some break down on the specs based on the latest rumors as well. Unless that is too vague for this context.

Answering the OP question of the day regarding our thoughts on the rumors.... I feel good about the rumors. I like where NS is going and at this point I'm solid day 1 purchase. I think we gotten past the biggest hurdle of crazy rumors and have a good set of realistic expectations.

NS is a solid console with the capability to allow 3rd parties to port while, more importantly, allow Nintendo to focus on a single platform all at a reasonable price.

Phoenixus

Here's a thought for fellow Switchonites, would we be able to put the dock flat? All we've seen of it is standing up, and it'd likely be difficult to slot the screen in sideways. :/

Here's a thought for fellow Switchonites, would we be able to put the dock flat? All we've seen of it is standing up, and it'd likely be difficult to slot the screen in sideways. :/

No real confirmation either way, but it isn't looking like that will be an "approved" position. Rumors from Laura K. also suggest that there are IR sensors in the top of the screen, which explains why the Switch doesn't sit all the way down in the dock. I just bought a new TV stand based primarily around this idea. I wanted room to side the dock right next to the TV.

Ordinarily you know I am delighted to soak up your effervescent optimism. :) I wrote up a post about the semiotic excess surrounding the word 'several' -- I'm no etymologist but funnily enough have had this discussion before on another subject, but on this very word -- but what I was writing sounded pretty silly so I will just suffice to say I agree with your confusion about the report as you mentioned, I completely understand where you're coming from about the word meaning, and whatever quibbles I have about the word several itself and its linguistic multitude of interpretations in casual speech, I will partake in as much of your optimism as I can, and I hope the game comes out as soon as possible.

Oh it's absolutely just my optimism speaking! I am well aware that "several" implies a larger number than, say, "a few", but I'm firmly entrenched in the denial stage for Zelda missing the Switch launch. I'm also in denial about political things too but that's another story. Either way, I've got plenty of denial to go around!

Awesome thread!

Love to see some break down on the specs based on the latest rumors as well. Unless that is too vague for this context.

There are a few threads floating around which discuss the rumored specs-

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1297191

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1297136

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1315716

I've been floating around the idea of starting a Switch tech speculation thread but I think there are too many Switch threads around here (and I'm not exactly a tech expert so I don't feel comfortable making that thread).

But anyway, the "leaked" specs in the first thread are wrong as they describe a stock TX1, and Nvidia has officially confirmed a custom Tegra SoC, not a stock Tegra X1. We have rumors that it will be based on Pascal architecture, and possibly closer in performance/power usage to Parker than TX1, which would put it at around 768Gflops at full clocks (possibly when docked, if there are two power modes- which is still just a rumor too). The CPU is rumored to be noticeably stronger than those of PS4/XB1, and possibly the PS4 Pro too. RAM is rumored to be 4GB, with 3.2GB usable for games and 800MB reserved for OS. Base SKU storage is rumored to be 32GB but apparently the (rumored) more expensive SKU is rumored to have more storage, so if it follows the same ratio as the Wii U it will have 128GB. MicroSD cards "up to 128GB" are rumored to be supported, but judging by the 3DS larger MicroSD cards will still work perfectly fine. Game cards are rumored to be 16GB standard, though that can assuredly increase fairly high, likely higher than Blu-ray discs.

That's all I can think of right now! Hope that helps!

I can't imagine why it wouldn't be possible to use laying down, though the rumored sensor bar functionality of the Switch tablet wouldn't work in that configuration.

oti

Banned
Tbh the leak I'd be most interested about is whether owning a Wii U will grant benefits for Switch buyers and if one needs to own both system at the same time to do this.

I have a Wii U and a lot of games. They sell for a lot on eBay still. I could probably finance Switch launch with that if I sell it before Christmas. My fear is one has to perform some kind of sync with both machines connected to the same online connection or something like that.

This tennis match of Switch reports between Laura, Emily and Eurogamer is pretty entertaining in itself. Hopefully we get a nice story tomorrow that doesn't spoil the entirety of what's not yet spoiled for the January event.

Once we're in December I feel, let's just chill out on stories and have Christmas lead us to January 12.

I hope after this Eurogamer leak they all stop leaking games and let things be a surprise for us. Emily already said she's done.

The hype is real.

But again, hope it isn't a massive brand new game. I can get hyped for things other than that.
Seriously I can't keep up with all these new tweets and leaks lol. I have a feeling this might be about the crossover game Liam was talking about. This could be big.

Tbh the leak I'd be most interested about is whether owning a Wii U will grant benefits for Switch buyers and if one needs to own both system at the same time to do this.

I have a Wii U and a lot of games. They sell for a lot on eBay still. I could probably finance Switch launch with that if I sell it before Christmas. My fear is one has to perform some kind of sync with both machines connected to the same online connection or something like that.

I'm waiting for this too! I've thought about selling my Wii-U quite a few times but I can't bring myself to let go of games like Wind Waker HD. I really hope we don't need to somehow "pair" our Wii-U with the Switch. We have a full purchase history through our Nintendo Account now, so that should be enough? I hope?

This tennis match of Switch reports between Laura, Emily and Eurogamer is pretty entertaining in itself. Hopefully we get a nice story tomorrow that doesn't spoil the entirety of what's not yet spoiled for the January event.

Once we're in December I feel, let's just chill out on stories and have Christmas lead us to January 12.

Man, it's a product reveal. Not the latest MGS game or Star Wars movie. I'm a big Nintendo fan too, but not so much as to think of the January 12th event as a piece of media that I ought to go on a blackout for. It's just information. Whether I hear it now through Laura, or on January 12th through Nintendo doesn't matter.

Spoilers for marketing events, what'll they think of next?

oti

Banned
I'm waiting for this too! I've thought about selling my Wii-U quite a few times but I can't bring myself to let go of games like Wind Waker HD. I really hope we don't need to somehow "pair" our Wii-U with the Switch. We have a full purchase history through our Nintendo Account now, so that should be enough? I hope?

I have no trust in Nintendo when it comes to this lol.

Oersted

To be honest, no matter how much gets spoiled, it still will be awesome to actually see the games in action.

I know there will be Pokemon. I don't know how it will look and well, what it precisely is.

Man, it's a product reveal. Not the latest MGS game or Star Wars movie. I'm a big Nintendo fan too, but not so much as to think of the January 12th event as a piece of media that I ought to go on a blackout for. It's just information. Whether I hear it now through Laura, or on January 12th through Nintendo doesn't matter.

Nintendo games, a MGS game and Star Wars movies are products....

And Nintendo games and a MGS game are games....

Plum

It's going to have games there as well, and games that aren't announced there will surely be announced at E3.

The hype and the shared excitement is why some people don't like being spoiled. I've said it before, imagine if all three of Sony's big games at E3 2015 were leaked from trustworthy sources, the excitement just wouldn't have been the same. Ryu in Smash was spoiled and many people were not as happy with it as they otherwise would have been just because of that.

And can you argue why you're fine with other people's experiences being hampered because you're fine with spoilers yourself? You don't get to decide what's a "spoiler" and what's not.

I have no trust in Nintendo when it comes to this lol.

Yeah... I'm not sure I do either. What kind of "benefits" would you hope to see from owning a Wii-U? The only thing I can think of is getting a discount on ports like Mario Kart for owning it on Wii-U.

To be honest, no matter how much gets spoiled, it still will be awesome to actually see the games in action.

My thoughts exactly! It's not like we're talking about episodes of a TV show where people are spoiling the plot. These are products that we'll buy and I want to know as much as possible about those products as soon as possible.

Pachimari

I'm actually curious about the Switch. And what really intrigues me, are the different joy-con controllers they'll have available at launch. If I can get something more traditional with a better hand grip I'll definitely go for those when taking it with me as a portable.

So far I'm totally in for Splatoon, as I never got around the singleplayer content and I sold it before the DLC content hit. So there should be plenty of hours in there for me, especially at night as I love sitting with a device in my bed which is is much more comfortable than gaming on my HDTV.

I don't know if I'm in for the 3D Mario as neither of Mario Galaxy, 3D Land, 3D World or NSMBU grabbed me. But I might consider it as a coop game to play with my nieces while using the Switch as a kickstand. I'm also not sure I would be interested in Mario Kart or Pikmin. I bought Pikmin 3 for Wii U but never opened it, and I only spent very little time with Mario Kart 8 before selling it.

I'm in for Super Smash Bros even though again, I didn't get many hours into the Wii U version as it was a bit hard for me to get into and boring to play locally. It might be fun having it with me to play locally against others I meet though. I'm also yet not sure about Breath of the Wild really.

But Splatoon is the big game for me. And what I really want are the handheld games I guess. Animal Crossing is a sure get, and so is Pokémon Gen VIII or Sun and Moon. I'm really hoping that the joy-cons can give me motion control games like Wii Sports, because that's one game my entire family knows how to play. I really need Wii Bowling to hit this platform, even as a digital game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom