• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrell

Actually, Splatoon may very well be the pack-in game for the Deluxe Bundle. There's really no use in bundling a game like Mario that's guaranteed to sell on its own. At least in Splatoon's case, it's an enhanced port.

Mario games that could sell in their own right as pack-ins is kind of part of the franchise's DNA.

Also, Wii Sports says hi. Bundled in North America, but it sure sold shit-tons in Japan where the bundle didn't exist.

ZombiU sends its regards together with how much Nintendo cares about anything than 1st party sales.

Yes, because the company has shown no signs whatsoever that it's changed, what with its brand-new president, sharper marketing tactics, entry into new business ventures.... yep, sure looks like the same Nintendo to me. /s

Look, I get that Nintendo has a sordid history, but so much has changed for them that, at this point, we don't know what kind of Nintendo we're dealing with anymore until 11 days from now, at best.

All those Japanses games will likely come to Switch

Also Batman should prob come WiiU got two batman games
And Injustice 2 might come WiiU got the first one
WB will want some games out, and if they are Unreal games it would be an easy port

That's a rather loose definition you have. Injustice was on Wii U the same way that having your legs in the water means you're "in the pool".

I think it's a dumb name. Like some sort of mobile spin-off. And it reminds me Bioshock Infinite, which I hated.

So you prefer games to be numbered? Personally, I'm kind of over that. We're at 15 Final Fantasies, 11 Dragon Quests, 7 Resident Evils, 8 Mario Karts... I don't see how that's a preferable idea.

I will always call them EAD Toyko man.

Then you will always be wrong.

Not surprising after how badly ME3 flopped on Wii U.

At the same time, bad ports on other console still sold relatively well. It was definitely also an audience issue.

This is a supreme over-simplification of the situation.

They've only ever released spin offs though. I wouldn't put it past SE to ignore it for a mainline game, especially when they desperately want to push PS4 in Japan.

Until Switch is released, what's Square Enix's other option but pushing PS4, though?

They won't even give you the easy as piss to port collection of the previous titles.

Even if the console hit Wii levels of success it just won't get it.

Wow, hyperbole to the extreme.

Thing is porting it to Xbone won't be as troublesome as porting it to Switch on which it'll need to run in handheld mode it may be even impossible as the game is built with better hardware in mind. About FFVIIR who will care? It's a PS4 timed exclusive anyway and again how badly it's would run is the question.

A question we don't firmly know the answer to. And it's funny how RoI somehow only factors into the 3rd-party discussion as it relates to Nintendo, yet I don't see a high RoI for an Xbox One release, even if it is US-only.

It wouldn't be possible for Nintendo to get all that support overnight even if they decided to shift their focus to that segment exclusively. Coming off the Wii U there's going to be reluctance.

The fact that they've secured at least some support including from Bethesda shows positive signs.

Yeah, this "all or nothing" bullshit when it comes to talk of 3rd-parties on Nintendo platforms is getting a bit tiresome. You can't change a bad situation overnight, it takes time and some hard work. And Nintendo isn't stupid enough to think one platform will immediately fix all their problems on this front.

That's a lame excuse though.

Lame as it might be, it's also entirely realistic that EA isn't going to have much to show for Switch in its first year. And if it is successful, that will be to EA's detriment more than Nintendo's if other 3rd-party publishers are there first and can capitalize on that.

I've been trolled my entire life.

In all seriousness, this is good news if true, though I was hoping to play the new 3D Mario game at launch, but this will probably throw a wrench into those plans.

NateDrake

Wow. It's over. Nintendo needed this.

Honestly, they need something equally big to go alongside Zelda. Zelda: BotW isn't going to showcase the graphical strengths of Switch, so they need 3D Mario or something to emphasize the power Switch has over that of Wii U.

Jerm411

Honestly, they need something equally big to go alongside Zelda. Zelda: BotW isn't going to showcase the graphical strengths of Switch, so they need 3D Mario or something to emphasize the power Switch has over that of Wii U.

Zelda and a new 3D Mario at launch would be insane....plus Skyrim??? I'm already good to go with just that...

Kevin

I think it would be a real disservice to Bethesda. Most people don't have time for two games of that scale.

And when push comes to shove, we know which one they'll buy.

I mean at this point Skyrim has been on so many consoles and I feel like most people that had any interest in that game, probably already played it. I guess having a portable version of it would be cool.

Nairume

Banned
I think it would be a real disservice to Bethesda. Most people don't have time for two games of that scale.

And when push comes to shove, we know which one they'll buy.
I imagine Bethesda is more than aware of the possibility of releasing Skyrim alongside Zelda and what that means how Skyrim Switch could perform up front.

Given they've already more than made their money back on that game, they could very well just be comfortable with it being a slow burn title that people will pick up throughout the system's life.

what-ok

Anyone think that a SECRET function or GIMMICK has yet to be seen? The hybrid thing is not groundbreaking and neither is detachable controllers. I have a feeling that on the 12th there will be something revealed that we aren't considering.

Anyone think that a SECRET function or GIMMICK has yet to be seen? The hybrid thing is not groundbreaking and neither is detachable controllers. I have a feeling that on the 12th there will be something revealed that we aren't considering.

Anything not featured in the initial trailer is something Nintendo doesn't see as part of the primary USP of the system, so no.

the best thing about this system's gimmick is that it's just pure convenience

DNAbro

uhh no. this is it.

Gaspard

But why. It's just a console that you can take outside.
Games will be the usual stuff.

For me it's the most exciting simply because of the build up (or lack therof).

This system was briefly revealed after months of speculation and "leaks" and now, two months before it releases will be showcased fully. We still don't know which leaks are real.

It's edging to the extreme.

I read the arguments for it, but I still think having a big open world 3D Zelda and a big 3D Mario game at launch is a mistake. If you're gonna buy this system at launch, obviously you must like Nintendo games. With Splatoon as a pack-in and new, big mainline entries in the two most iconic franchises that Nintendo has, how many people have both the time and money to get any third-party game? It would be really odd. Those three aren't games you play for a weekend before moving on to something else. Mario and Zelda can each carry an entire month. Splatoon should be a game Nintendo wants you to play online for a long time to have an active player base. Having it as a pack-in also seemed to indicate that they wanted to shine the spotlight on the franchise now that it isn't restrained by the Wii U and has a shot at growing into something big. There's not enough space to properly advertise the Switch concept, Splatoon, Zelda, Mario and third-party games.

#TeamIdontknowwhichonebutnotbothatlaunch

Shahadan

For me it's the most exciting simply because of the build up (or lack therof).

This system was briefly revealed after months of speculation and "leaks" and now, two months before it releases will be showcased fully. We still don't know which leaks are real.

It's edging to the extreme.

I'm afraid that, like the reveal video, we already know what to expect. Maybe one or two surprises for games.

I'm hyped however for anything they have to show us regarding OS features and design, and what they'll be doing with the eshop. We know next to nothing about that.
I'll be honest I like the eshop as it is (well, mostly the Wii U version) but some things could be fixed. It's still way better to use than the horrid PS store though.

Gaspard

I think Skyrim and Mario at launch and Zelda in June is the best result for Switch.

Skyrim gets some breathing room because the genre audience doesn't clash with Mario and we get a new Mario yay.

Shahadan

I really hope that Splatoon pack in rumor is true for the more expensive model. Curious how they'll handle future updates and stuff.

I still think Smash Bros would have been a great pack in with updates following big nintendo releases, but Splatoon will do.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
dg8knfG.gif

Hopefully Nintendo is going to have a good year this year.

Plum

dg8knfG.gif

Hopefully Nintendo is going to have a good year this year.

Funny that the day with some of the most positive news we've heard (namely the Epic Games comment) is partnered with the day in the countdown showing Nintendo's worst failure.

Bad omen? Coincidence? You decide!

(You're doing a great job on these btw; really help realise the hype now we're so close)

DMONKUMA

I guess? So it's Stealth/Lami vs Emily/Laura. Or did Laura jump to the other side?

Who's stealth? Also was looking at Lami's twitter doesn't seem like they knew much or anything before the Switch was revealed so I dunno why they would have info now.

eaise

Neo Member
Zelda at launch in the US, in June for Europe. I'm not seeing the problem.
They can both be right.

Mario at launch in Europe and in June in the US then! :p

Europe wins again

As someone who lives in the US I'd say if this these are true then the US wins. I'd rather have Zelda and get Mario a few months later than get Mario and have to wait for Zelda

But more realistic Zelda on launch for NA and June for Europe. And then Mario would release worldwide whenever it releases

OryoN

Hey guys, here's something I've been meaning to share for a while, but I've been so lazy busy these days, now I've finally got a bit of time on my hands.

I'm aware that the information compiled from Laura Kate Dale leaks have prepared us not to expect a camera or microphone on the Switch console.

•Camera and microphone are not built into/inside the NX portable device.

Ok, you've seen the title of this post, so it's obvious that I'm not fully convinced just yet, as accurate as LKD has been. According to the image below, feel free to share which way you are leaning on this feature.

switchtrailerimage1aiks6k.jpg

So a camera? Mic perhaps? Still no possibility?

About the image: It comes directly from the official Nintendo Switch reveal trailer(somewhere around the 3:05 seconds mark). It's captured at a moment - literally a fraction of a second - where the scene is lit, right before it goes dark. I kept trying to capture that moment, wondering if there's something we missed, or perhaps something Nintendo was intentionally trying to hide. It turns that we did miss something.
The question is: was this intentional? If so, why?
1)To keep surprises for later? Or...
2) So we don't expect features that didn't - for whatever reason - make the final cut?

Whatever the case, it seems like Nintendo did - at some point - considered the idea of one(or both) of those features.
[Edit: Forgot to mention. You wouldn't see this in the promo images. It may suggest that it didn't make the final cut(in which case the image in the trailer was from one particular prototype version), or there may still be a possibility for them to surprise us.]

Note: I captured this image on a old monitor(not even full 1080p!), so if anyone can capture a sharper image from their monitor, that'll be awesome! That would also prove that this 'defined impression' on the device is definitely there in the trailer, and not something unique to one individual(like a doctored image, or a blemish on my monitor).

Plum

Just went through all my budgeting and after Uni costs, my new computer, phone bills, etc I've got around £350 to spend on the Switch on release. Of course that's not gonna be all, I'm planning on selling quite a few of my old tat to get it to around £500.

I feel so young because this is the first brand new, at-launch console I will be buying with my own money. It feels so exciting, can't wait to arrive at the shop I preorder from and pick it up on launch day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom