• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thraktor

Isn't the id tech 6 engine based on Vulkan and OpenGL? Seems like since the Switch is listed as conformant with them both, it would probably not be a huge stretch to put a dialed back version on it, yeah?

I am just being hopeful here.

Yep, Doom has both OpenGL and Vulkan renderers, so in theory they should be able to get the game up and running on Switch incredibly quickly. Actually getting it optimised and running at 60fps is potentially a different matter, though.

Zedark

She also has no idea why Europe still says June (I take it this means she reconfirmed with her Europe sources). She speculates that it could be an EU specific delay or a WiiU delay (meaning that her NA source refers to Switch version, while EU sources refer to WiiU version).

Astral Dog

Eternal Darkness fills a niche that Nintendo doesn't really have much of, especially if Resident Evil misses their platform. Geist would be an interesting choice too as it's their best FPS IP.

I still think StarTropics as a Tomb Raider/Uncharted type game would be the most impactful "western" style game they could make. It's a genre Nintendo really doesn't have at all.
Yep. I agree with this thoughbobviously Nintendo wouldn't want to compete with Uncharted ;) and the gameplay systems are incredibly mundane.

About ED. i still haven't seen a good reason why Nintendo would want to resurrect that ip, the fills the gap point falls apart when you realize they are more interested in having the platforming genre on lock than in diversifying more their lineup.

Then i just dont see what makes ED a good fit for Retro. Wich specializes in minimalistic storytelling,fps action,platforming etc. And MPC was not exactly a good argument they are good at making typical stories.
Is that only because they are western studios?

Finally. ED was an experiment (no different from W101),it sold poorly,the original team is a mess and most importantly. It isn,t even known for having good gameplay!

Yado

Eternal Darkness fills a niche that Nintendo doesn't really have much of, especially if Resident Evil misses their platform. Geist would be an interesting choice too as it's their best FPS IP. We talk about these types of games in regards to Retro because they are Nintendo's only (first party) western studio, so they should be more suited to making "western" style games.

I still think StarTropics as a Tomb Raider/Uncharted type game would be the most impactful "western" style game they could make. It's a genre Nintendo really doesn't have at all.

Or they could come up with new ip instead of trying to revive the ones the market has rejected.

Platy

I7fQRVU.jpg

Did we already know this? Is this guy just seeking attention or were those EB Games Australia listings actually fakes? I know we assumed that the box art was all placeholder, but is the whole thing fake? Like we can't trust the box design and extra info on Mario Kart 8 about the new tracks? =[

Even if the listing was real the boxarts are totaly fake and whatever are in those are as madeup as they can go.

Does not mean the finished product CAN have those features... just that THAT boxart is not confirmation of anything

Zedark

So, Laura says Zelda will 100% be a launch (and claims she has seen finalised marketing articles for this). What about the Mario RPG? Do you guys think it'll miss launch (and possible take that summer/June spot where we first envisioned Zelda to be) or do we think both will be at launch?

OmegaFax

What if we're wrong about the retail game packaging altogether and it's some sort of thing that snaps, unlocks, and opens from the center similar to how the Switch controllers detach?

LordKano

So, Laura says Zelda will 100% be a launch (and claims she has seen finalised marketing articles for this). What about the Mario RPG? Do you guys think it'll miss launch (and possible take that summer/June spot where we first envisioned Zelda to be) or do we think both will be at launch?

Everything is at launch.

Nothing for the following months. The new Nintendo strategy.

Astral Dog

Amazing Zelda for launch! :D
Or they could come up with new ip instead of trying to revive the ones the market has rejected.
Yep and this. Also if Nintendo wants a good M rated game they still have other studios to choose from and much better choices than ED.

And yet I bet Laura and her reliable sources will get a free pass on here and everyone will continue to take what she says as gospel.

Honestly who cares? If it's fake it's fake. If it's real cool too. You seem to be really bothered by the rumour mill. But it's just rumours, everything should be taken with a grain of salt no matter what.

oti

Banned
- new screenshots on a regular basis
- Nintendo tweets out Zelda art for the holidays
- a three-months calendar with Zelda art
- Fallon
- wonky rumour about sudden problems in QA and translation
- multiple ADS with Zelda saying release in March
- I said so

What else do you need?

☝

Just saying.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So now the biggest unknown is Mario. I see 3 options:

-Launch (unlikely IMO)
-takes the previously rumored Zelda June slot (possible)
-now set for November (most likely)

☝

Just saying.

Pretty much. If you just looked at what Nintend was doing, everything pointed toward it being a launch title. The very fact that they rolled it out to show on Fallon really cemented that. I couldn't really see them live demoing it there unless they had confidence that they were going to be able to launch it alongside the console.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Honestly who cares? If it's fake it's fake. If it's real cool too. You seem to be really bothered by the rumour mill. But it's just rumours, everything should be taken with a grain of salt no matter what.

His point is some people took her rumors as facts which is a problem here for him. I understand his concern but it's probably a coincidence how she suddenly updated her rumors from June to March after the media came out with Switch and Zelda.

I'm totally whatever with rumors because I don't take them completely serious since it usually sparks some interesting discussions in fighting games.

Peru

Get ready for some European rage. Maybe. We'll see. I'll be fine waiting a few months but the NA players gabbing about the game, not so much, so I hope the Switch version at least ocmes out at the same time worldwide.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So now the biggest unknown is Mario. I see 3 options:

-Launch (unlikely IMO)
-takes the previously rumored Zelda June slot (possible)
-now set for November (most likely)

I know plans always changes in the industry but I found it strange that Miyamoto said we would hear something about MARIO 3D at E3 2017 but there are some rumors it going to be a launch title so it's going to be very interesting presentation. I hope we would get some surprises on that day.

Mr Swine

Banned
Get ready for some European rage. Maybe. We'll see. I'll be fine waiting a few months but the NA players gabbing about the game, not so much, so I hope the Switch version at least ocmes out at the same time worldwide.

If Switch is region free then I don't think people will care. But since there is a high probability that Switch will have region locking I think this will be a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom