• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

watershed

Banned
Strange that the thread I just made for LKD's latest BOTW tweet and the other thread on the Mario/Rabbids composer tweet got locked. Is it against policy to make threads on rumors now? I feel like gaf is swimming in threads on rumors and tweets.

HylianTom

Banned
If this is true, the 13th could be interesting..
Image_1.jpg

Strange that the thread I just made for LKD's latest BOTW tweet and the other thread on the Mario/Rabbids composer tweet got locked. Is it against policy to make threads on rumors now? I feel like gaf is swimming in threads on rumors and tweets.
tweet threads being locked has been a rule for a while

LordKano

We should just keep everything here for the last ten days tbh.

Lol all of a sudden a mod goes closing Laura's topics. I remember they said no topics on tweets, but they left the Grant topic opened for a long time then decided to close it? Laura has been getting topics and only Emily's tweet topics were getting closed.

Also, doesn't Laura work for a company and used to be with Destructoid.

Zedark

Yeah, it's strange. I have seen threads being closed because they only source a tweet (as yours did), but the tweet contains as much important information as a write up of hers has.

Philippo

If LKD is right (and by the sudden change in her expectations i have no reason to doubt her), not counting VC titles and 3rd party non-exclusive titles, this is what i tjink the 1st party line-up for the year is going to be:

(my random speculation/wishlist)

Launch
-Zelda BotW (JP, US)
-Mario&Rabbids RPG
-Splatoon Remaster (pack-in title)
-Nintendoland Switch (downloadable)
-Mario Kart 8+ or Smash Bros Remastered
-Monster Hunter Generation Ultimate (JP)
-Xenoblade Chronicles X Remastered (JP)

Spring
-Pikmin 4 (April)
-Zelda BotW (May, EU) *but i reaaaaally hope it's launch in EU too
-Mario Kart 8+ or Smash Bros Remastered (May)
-Mario Switch (June)
-Monster Hunter Stories Ultimate (June, JP)

Summer
-Xenoblade Chronicles X Remastered (July)
-Monster Hunter Generation Ultimate (August)
-Animal Crossing (September)

Fall
-Pokémon Star (October)
-Retro New IP (November)
-Mario Sports? (December)
-Monster Hunter Stories Ultimate (December)

STGHMAAV

Banned
If the Switch is region-free is there any real reason to release a big game like Zelda that apart in time on different regions? Yeah, I know, 5 languages in PAL, but it's Zelda, most of us in Europe could play the english anyways, and I can see a lot of people importing the game just to play it sooner.

Oersted

Why not both? Nintendo is working on one platform now, I don't see the issue having two big titles at one time now.

Now you know Gearbox =/= Nintendo lol

Nintendo marketing material for the game. Not saying they are the same, I'm not that silly, I'm saying these things get finalized in advance. Especially when its supposed to be part of the bigger marketing campaign.

If the Switch is region-free is there any real reason to release a big game like Zelda that apart in time on different regions? Yeah, I know, 5 languages in PAL, but it's Zelda, most of us in Europe could play the english anyways, and I can see a lot of people importing the game just to play it sooner.

The import scene is not such a big market.

Yep. I agree with this thoughbobviously Nintendo wouldn't want to compete with Uncharted ;) and the gameplay systems are incredibly mundane.

About ED. i still haven't seen a good reason why Nintendo would want to resurrect that ip, the fills the gap point falls apart when you realize they are more interested in having the platforming genre on lock than in diversifying more their lineup.

Then i just dont see what makes ED a good fit for Retro. Wich specializes in minimalistic storytelling,fps action,platforming etc. And MPC was not exactly a good argument they are good at making typical stories.
Is that only because they are western studios?

Finally. ED was an experiment (no different from W101),it sold poorly,the original team is a mess and most importantly. It isn,t even known for having good gameplay!

Yeah I think ED gets thrown around here because it was originally done by a western studio. It's also a game that's very different from Nintendo's typical games, which again, is one of the things people often ask for (and with MP, got) from Retro.

Or they could come up with new ip instead of trying to revive the ones the market has rejected.

Well my original question was asking if people thought there was a new IP too, but it's just a lot harder to speculate about new IPs than it is to speculate on revivals.

His point is some people took her rumors as facts which is a problem here for him. I understand his concern but it's probably a coincidence how she suddenly updated her rumors from June to March after the media came out with Switch and Zelda.

I'm totally whatever with rumors because I don't take them completely serious since it usually sparks some interesting discussions in fighting games.

Laura has been incredibly transparent with her leaks though, which is quite refreshing and makes it a lot easier to forgive when she gets things wrong. She'll tell us which source is saying what, and that those sources could always be getting things wrong. It's a much easier way to understand what the information is, where it's coming from and how reliable it is.

No EU Zelda launch?? Guess we'll find out soon

The Switch is almost definitely region free so even if somehow Zelda doesn't make the EU launch you can easily import the NA version.

Zedark

Lol all of a sudden a mod goes closing Laura's topics. I remember they said no topics on tweets, but they left the Grant topic opened for a long time then decided to close it? Laura has been getting topics and only Emily's tweet topics were getting closed.

Also, doesn't Laura work for a company and used to be with Destructoid.

They just closed the Grant thread as well, seems like some late enforcement during the holidays.

watershed

Banned
If LKD is right (and by the sudden change in her expectations i have no reason to doubt her), not counting VC titles and 3rd party non-exclusive titles, this is what i tjink the 1st party line-up for the year is going to be:

Launch
-Zelda BotW
-Mario&Rabbids RPG
The bolded are also rumored for launch? I didn't know that and it just seems unlikely that they would all be there at launch. Seems too packed with ports, even without knowing what original games there will be. A solid launch is what, 15 titles or less. 1/3 being ports seems a bit much.

oti

Banned
We don't need multiple threads of insiders who flip-flop on their information. We talk about it in this ginormous thread anyway. And the even is just 10 days away or something.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Launch
-Zelda BotW (JP, US)
-Mario&Rabbids RPG

Spring
-Pikmin 4 (April)
-Mario Switch (June)

Summer

Fall
-Pokémon Star (October)
-Retro New IP (November)

Where the hell did Nintendoland Switch come from?

Oersted

Weird too that the Zelda getting delayed thread is based on a tweet:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1319055

But the new news that it is making launch (also a tweet) is not allowed. That's how misinformation spreads.

Nintendo will spread the news in 10 days. The amount of people who will get their information exclusiely trough that one existing thread is ignorable.

From the same hell where Monster Hunter is a first party exclusive lol

KingBroly

Banned
I could see it launching Day 1 in NA and later on in Europe, while Europe gets Mario Day 1 and NA gets it later.

But...Switch is supposed to be region-free, right? So...we could get both on Day 1, anyway.

NOE needs to stop localizing games into English when NOA does it and vice-versa. It's inefficient.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

It have been a policy for a month or two. I do agreed with their policy because we got so many fake rumors from Twitter and people would make threads just heck out of it.

Weird too that the Zelda getting delayed thread is based on a tweet:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1319055

But the new news that it is making launch (also a tweet) is not allowed. That's how misinformation spreads.

I would like a mod to explain to me why they say "no topics on tweets", then they pick and choose which to keep open and which to close even though they're primarily from Laura.

Why wouldn't the new Zelda info tweet be allowed to stay open considering she's the one reporting it.

jmizzal

I get the feeling Mario is not gonna be launch and may be May game, Nintendo will prob sit on it and polish it up for a few months

Zelda needs to be launch they have been showing the game for 3 years, Mario we only seen 8 sec video of it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Launch
-Zelda BotW (JP, US)
-Mario&Rabbids RPG

Spring
-Pikmin 4 (April)
-Mario Switch (June)

Summer

Fall
-Pokémon Star (October)
-Retro New IP (November)

Mario Kart and Smash Bros supposedly aren't launch titles. Just 2-6 months later according to the rumors

Philippo

The bolded are also rumored for launch? I didn't know that and it just seems unlikely that they would all be there at launch. Seems too packed with ports, even without knowing what original games there will be. A solid launch is what, 15 titles or less. 1/3 being ports seems a bit much.

Oh yeah of course it's all my speculation (and wishes), but if they really want to push the NS in Japan they need something to appease them other than Zelda, and MonHun is clearly the easiest choice. Plus iirc they recently announced the 3DS version for Generations Ultimate in March, it really wouldn't surprise me if its a cross-gen title.

100% my ass, but i guess Nintendo needs a party-like title to showcase the immediate, social friendly coop aspect of the console, and an enhanced version of NLand (or even a new one, or hell a completely new game in the same vein) it's perfect for that.

Hakai

I don't see why they can't launch both Mario and Zelda as launch titles.

It all depend's on the whole lineup, and if theres something beyond those twp games.

I think Mario and Zelda are going to both be Day 1, tbh. See, if their intent was only ever to have one of them present for launch, then the easy answer would be to wait on Zelda since from everything we've heard about both it sounds like that's the one that needs more time in the oven. I don't see them rushing Zelda out only to subsequently delay the already finished Mario game.

Plus, between Laura, Emily, and Eurogamer, it has been made pretty clear that Mario is ready to go and that there is going to be a big emphasis on it at the preview events.

Finally, even though all signs point to Nintendo being more conscious of third party needs this time around, I don't think that goes so far as to hold Zelda back in order to ensure the 5 year old Skyrim sells well.

KingBroly

Banned
I think Mario and Zelda are going to both be Day 1, tbh. See, if their intent was only ever to have one of them present for launch, then the easy answer would be to wait on Zelda since from everything we've heard about both it sounds like that's the one that needs more time in the oven. I don't see them rushing Zelda out only to subsequently delay the already finished Mario game.

Plus, between Laura, Emily, and Eurogamer, it has been made pretty clear that Mario is ready to go and that there is going to be a big emphasis on it at the preview events.

Finally, even though all signs point to Nintendo being more conscious of third party needs this time around, I don't think that goes so far as to hold Zelda back in order to ensure the 5 year old Skyrim sells well.

That'd be a disaster for third parties to have both on Day 1.

watershed

Banned
Oh yeah of course it's all my speculation (and wishes), but if they really want to push the NS in Japan they need something to appease them other than Zelda, and MonHun is clearly the easiest choice. Plus iirc they recently announced the 3DS version for Generations Ultimate in March, it really wouldn't surprise me if its a cross-gen title.

100% my ass, but i guess Nintendo needs a party-like title to showcase the immediate, social friendly coop aspect of the console, and an enhanced version of NLand (or even a new one, or hell a completely new game in the same vein) it's perfect for that.

So then those aren't rumors, they're just your wishes. Let's not confuse the two. Discussing credible rumors is different than saying my desires are rumors.

Zedark

I don't see why they can't launch both Mario and Zelda as launch titles.

It all depend's on the whole lineup, and if theres something beyond those twp games.

Basically this. If they have nothing else, then they shouldn't put those two huge games together and then have a drought until fall. Also, I wonder how detrimental to the uptake of third party games on the system this killer duo of Zelda and Mario would be.

That'd be a disaster for third parties to have both on Day 1.

I think Nintendo is more concerned with their console not stalling out of the gate. A huge reason for the 3DS's initial stumble was that it lacked content. Better to overkill it, is what I assume their thought process would be.

EDIT:

The first couple months of the Switch's sales will probably make or break future third party support, I reckon.

Zalman

Having both Mario and Zelda day one would make it the best launch lineup ever. It would be kind of cool. However, on the other hand, I would prefer to have another release to look forward to after launch. I think it's more important to have a steady stream of games rather than blowing the load at once.

The launch will already be a big event with only one of those games. If the other comes out a month or so after, I think that would be better.

TDLink

It depends what third party games are there at launch. With no other fighters, I can see Tekken 7 being pretty successful. There's not really anything like Monster Hunter either.

Plus some people like Mario but not Zelda and vice versa. So they may avoid one and pick up a third party instead as a second game...personally I like to grab 3 games at a launch.

KingBroly

Banned
I think Nintendo is more concerned with their console not stalling out of the gate. A huge reason for the 3DS's initial stumble was that it lacked content. Better to overkill it, is what I assume their thought process would be.

From a Nintendo POV, it'd be better to have them separated by a few months.

If MK8.5 is Day 1, then it'd be bad to have another Mario there on Day 1 as well.

Plus, if you release it at the end of May, it leads right into E3.

bachikarn

Launch
-Zelda BotW (JP, US)
-Mario&Rabbids RPG

Spring
-Pikmin 4 (April)
-Mario Switch (June)

Summer

Fall
-Pokémon Star (October)
-Retro New IP (November)

Are you saying that is the entire lineup? Is t that pretty shitty? It is basically a bunch of Wii U games and a new Mario?

TDLink

From a Nintendo POV, it'd be better to have them separated by a few months.

If MK8.5 is Day 1, then it'd be bad to have another Mario there on Day 1 as well.

Plus, if you release it at the end of May, it leads right into E3.

I don't think anyone is going to treat the Wii U ports as major releases. They're schedule filler but not something that will get most excited. Smash might be the one exception depending on what they add.

Zedark

Wow OK, we're shifting gears it seems. Was Metroid ever actually name dropped before? Emily Rogers definitely only said Retro's new game.
I'm see posts taking rumors as facts regarding Region free.

Don't get your hopes up. It could still very be Region lock.
Caution should be exercised for every leak, even if the person has a great track record. Sometimes sources hear things wrong or stuff changes on a relatively short notice.

TDLink

Are you saying that is the entire lineup? Is t that pretty shitty? It is basically a bunch of Wii U games and a new Mario?

He's just speculating. We already know it's not the whole lineup with confirmed stuff like Dragon Quest XI. Plus extremely likely the system is getting games like Tekken and Marvel.

Oersted

Are you saying that is the entire lineup?

It isn't and noone says that. Its speculation.

And you missed

-Mario&Rabbids RPG

Spring
-Pikmin 4 (April)

Summer

Fall
-Pokémon Star (October)
-Retro New IP (November)

KingBroly

Banned
I don't think anyone is going to treat the Wii U ports as major releases. They're schedule filler but not something that will get most excited. Smash might be the one exception depending on what they add.

MK8.5 could be significant if the changes are big enough. Especially if they MAKE BATTLE MODE GREAT AGAIN!

Given what we know, my current first party launch day guess is:

Zelda
3D Mario
Mario x Rabbids (third party?)
Splatoon Remix (my clever name)

Scrawnton

Given what we know, my current first party launch day guess is:

Zelda
3D Mario
Mario x Rabbids (third party?)
Splatoon Remix (my clever name)

I'd imagine Mario will get a slight bump. No ones going to buy a Mario cross over RPG if Mario and Zelda Re at launch. Push Mario to May or June and try to get people to buy Mario x Rabbids as the Mario fix for launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom