• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKano

That can't happen. It was originally announced for a 2015 launch. They're not gonna do a three year delay on it. I still think the game could've released in 2016 if it was still Wii U only.

Excuse me sir, do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior Kirby's Return to Dreamland ?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
bit of a silly tweet. So first people are mad that they're delaying the game just to launch with the switch and now we're worried that the delay isn't enough and the game isn't ready. I mean, which is it?

Isn't he one of the reporters saying it was most likely delayed? Could be an element of covering his tracks a bit.

Scrawnton

Excuse me sir, do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior Kirby's Return to Dreamland ?
You can't compare the two. Zelda is an industry event and will make or break the Switch whether or not it's there within 6 months of launch. Nintendo knows that delaying Zelda by another year will pretty much kill Switch.

LordKano

You can't compare the two. Zelda is an industry event and will make or break the Switch whether or not it's there within 6 months of launch. Nintendo knows that delaying Zelda by another year will pretty much kill Switch.

Yeah I know, there's no way Zelda won't release this year, I was just messing around.

I know Breath of the Wild has been in development for awhile but I wouldn't say it's been in quite the development hell the same way Return to Dreamland was. HAL Labs went through multiple development builds with that title (one of them was this weird 3D game) for like 11 years before finally settling on what would become the finished product in 2010.

Scrawnton

I know Breath of the Wild has been in development for awhile but I wouldn't say it's been in quite the development hell the same way Return to Dreamland was. HAL Labs went through multiple development phases with that title (one of them was this weird 3D game) for like 11 years before finally settling on what would become the finished product in 2010.

I'm just curious to see what the minute to minute gameplay looks like in BotW. Will it be more pure like OG Zelda or is it going to be nothing but a list of quests and waymarks like Witcher and Elder Scrolls?

I do not want a generic checklist open world game with kill and fetch quests.

JB2448

It's been a bit since it was last posted, so here's a high resolution image of the Switch third party list:
Nintendo_Switch_JP_partners_list_EN.png
10-and-a-half days. The wait is killing me.

Plum

Here is is for those wondering

Liam Robertson's latest tweet worries me about Zelda.

Isn't he one of the reporters saying it was most likely delayed? Could be an element of covering his tracks a bit.

This. Why would he tweet this after the rumors of it appearing at launch appeared? All we heard before then were possible localization issues.

Frankly I'm getting tired of leakers flip-flopping on the Zelda issue now, lets just wait for the 12th.

It's been a bit since it was last posted, so here's a high resolution image of the Switch third party list:

10-and-a-half days. The wait is killing me.

Really curious to see what Arc System Works has planned for Switch. I'm hoping we see ports of Central Fiction and Revelator (and maybe even Melty Blood and UNIBEL), I'd love to have those games on the go.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So I got a 4 day work week this week, then it's AGDQ and the Switch Presentation.

What an amazing start to 2017.

Oregano

Really curious to see what Arc System Works has planned for Switch. I'm hoping we see ports of Central Fiction and Revelator (and maybe even Melty Blood and UNIBEL), I'd love to have those games on the go.

They're probably just going to continue their cheap eShop games. I wouldn't expect any of their main projects.

So what are the odds of seeing Retro's game? I'm thinking 75%, as it's been over 3 years since Tropical Freeze was completed. Might release next winter, so 4 year dev cycle.

Donkey Kong 3D? StarTropics 3? Eternal Darkness 2? Geist 2? New IP? What are we thinking?

Thraktor

Low change. It's not in the target of N-gamers. Since n64 id-software did their best not to bring their games to N-hardware.

It's really Bethesda's decision as the publisher, and they've gone from completely ignoring Nintendo to being surprisingly pro-Switch, so you never know. And I doubt id would have any opposition to porting the game to Switch, given their lead engine programmer is tweeting things like this:

Astral Dog

The boxes look ugly imo but,if it helps differerentiate them...

Also the Wii U boxes never made sense. Bright blue with yellow? o_O

Speely

Banned
Hell yeah! Doom is my GOTY, I'd love it portable. Hopefully the Switch can hack it.

Isn't the id tech 6 engine based on Vulkan and OpenGL? Seems like since the Switch is listed as conformant with them both, it would probably not be a huge stretch to put a dialed back version on it, yeah?

I am just being hopeful here.

Scrawnton

So what are the odds of seeing Retro's game? I'm thinking 75%, as it's been over 3 years since Tropical Freeze was completed. Might release next winter, so 4 year dev cycle.

Donkey Kong 3D? StarTropics 3? Eternal Darkness 2? Geist 2? New IP? What are we thinking?
I honestly could see Retro tapped for a new eternal darkness. But they really really should be working on a new Metroid Prime. That series carries a lot of weight with the people that will help make or break the system: the hardcore and media.

I honestly could see Retro tapped for a new eternal darkness. But they really really should be working on a new Metroid Prime. That series carries a lot of weight with the people that will help make or break the system: the hardcore and media.

The one thing insiders have apparently heard about Retro is that they aren't working on Metroid.

Which might actually be more of an indication that someone else is working on Metroid than insiders have actually heard something from Retro...

Astral Dog

I honestly could see Retro tapped for a new eternal darkness. But they really really should be working on a new Metroid Prime. That series carries a lot of weight with the people that will help make or break the system:8 the hardcore and media.
jesus the Retro working on ED meme needs to die,they wouldn't work on it even if they wanted to.

There are much higher chances of a new Donkey Kong game

They're probably just going to continue their cheap eShop games. I wouldn't expect any of their main projects.

I'm keeping my expectations in check, but ASW ported almost every iteration of Blazblue to handhelds (even 3DS got Continuum Shift 2). It wouldn't surprise me if they keep that going considering how Switch will be more than capable of handling their games.

jesus the Retro working on ED meme needs to die,they wouldn't work on it even if they wanted to.

There are much higher chances of a new Donkey Kong game

Eternal Darkness fills a niche that Nintendo doesn't really have much of, especially if Resident Evil misses their platform. Geist would be an interesting choice too as it's their best FPS IP. We talk about these types of games in regards to Retro because they are Nintendo's only (first party) western studio, so they should be more suited to making "western" style games.

I still think StarTropics as a Tomb Raider/Uncharted type game would be the most impactful "western" style game they could make. It's a genre Nintendo really doesn't have at all.

Oregano

I'm keeping my expectations in check, but ASW ported almost every iteration of Blazblue to handhelds (even 3DS got Continuum Shift 2). It wouldn't surprise me if they keep that going considering how Switch will be more than capable of handling their games.

Continuum Shift 2 was only because of the PSP port though and it was a terrible version of the game. It didn't even go to sleep when you closed the 3DS.

doop_

Banned
OBE1 says Voice Chat on Switch.You can connect your headset through the Pro Controller or the jack on the device itself.

Steiner

Banned
I7fQRVU.jpg

Did we already know this? Is this guy just seeking attention or were those EB Games Australia listings actually fakes? I know we assumed that the box art was all placeholder, but is the whole thing fake? Like we can't trust the box design and extra info on Mario Kart 8 about the new tracks? =[

NSESN

The Zelda concern makes no sense, Zelda "delay" to june was because of localization issues. I can't see Nintendo considering delaying a game because of localization but not caring about the game itself not being finished.

Gaspard

I7fQRVU.jpg

Did we already know this? Is this guy just seeking attention or were those EB Games Australia listings actually fakes? I know we assumed that the box art was all placeholder, but is the whole thing fake? Like we can't trust the box design and extra info on Mario Kart 8 about the new tracks? =[

It's easier to just say everything is fake for the next ten days.

watershed

Banned
OBE1 says Voice Chat on Switch.You can connect your headset through the Pro Controller or the jack on the device itself.

That's cool but its really more about if Nintendo includes voice chat in their games and how its implemented. The tech is already there with the WiiU but I still can't talk to anyone online in Splatoon, Smash, or Mario Kart.

The best solution is optional online chat with friends only and absolutely no chat with non-friends. That way the online community doesn't become toxic, Nintendo doesn't have to deal with the outrage from parents that people playing Nintendo games are saying awful things to their kids, and people can talk to their friends. At least that's what I'd do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom