• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrawnton

It's an ok package but even at the time I just couldn't understand that it was a simple retail disc and not a platform for downloadable content. Could've been a great side dish to the bigger games to have this expandable park with Nintendo franchise-themed small games.

Oh I agree. For Switch, I'd accept a free to download version of Nintendo land where you get the hub and the first round of each of the mini games and you can choose to pay $5 to unlock the rest of one of the worlds. I loved the idea of Nintrndoland but I think they could've done much much more.

Oh I agree. For Switch, I'd accept a free to download version of Nintendo land where you get the hub and the first round of each of the mini games and you can choose to pay $5 to unlock the rest of one of the worlds. I loved the idea of Nintrndoland but I think they could've done much much more.

You just made me imagine Nintendoland mashed with Streetpass Plaza and holy fuck I want that game now.

Scrawnton

You just made me imagine Nintendoland mashed with Streetpass Plaza and holy fuck I want that game now.
Maybe they will rebrand Nintendoland and bring it back once the Universal attractions are done? Would be awesome to replicate the real theme park in Nintendolands aesthetic.

250€ (up to 299€ if they feel lucky) would be reasonable for a new system from a marketing p.o.v. and also what I'm guessing it will turn out to be. I also would think that this time around, there will be pack-in games again (either Splatoon or Mario - or Zelda if ready) and with a focus on local multiplayer, maybe even a second set of the new control units. Though technically, you already got enough for 2player games with one set of the standard control unit anyway. That might be a high selling point for young people or families btw., not having to invest in a second 40-60 bucks gamepad.

What I've learned in discussion is that for many people, Nintendo prices for both hard- and software are always too high and they always say they wait for them to drop - and then still find other reasons why they would not getting the system (see Gamecube at 99,- price point with pack-in games in the last 1-2 years or so of its lifecycle). Been like that since forever, even during SNES/N64 times.
I won't deny that some of their hardware is sold at a higher price than the competition... e.g. WiiU, while most likely the reason for the costs are the gamepads with screen. But still, paying up the price you'd pay for a PS4 or Xbone in lower priced editions for an aging and not as well supported system is a lot to ask. And I say this even though WiiU has been my favorite console the last 3 years for the good to great exclusives, Wii BC and VC alone.

Also, one should not forget that huge chunks of the market don't care or know about specs of consoles (and the 'worth' of those specs) and more about what they see in a product. It's all down to marketing and opinions by media outlets and general talk, maybe even 'prestige'. I mean, go look at Apple. Or look at the PS2-era, even today there are people who still believe the PS2 was the most powerful console on the market thanks to early marketing showings (it did help that PS2 had one of the strongest lineups ever over the years). Market demand dictates the price, and if Nintendos marketing and their value offer (games, QOL, hitting the right notes with several groups of potential buyers) is right, they can pull a higher price without problem. Their marketing during WiiU reveal and launch was a sad display and confused even their fans to the point where it started out dead, not helped by low value suggestion since HD game development ate too much time while the system was struggling more and more. I don't think they repeat those mistakes this time around - while I think it will stay behind PS4 in popularity, I can still see them being more profitable with the Switch again and regaining public interest and trust. And if they're also going the route of hardware revisions every 2-3 years, they could go further head on head again in the long game.

Still, a lot - really, a lot - hinges on next weeks presentation. Their message, the games and the value proposal needs to be near perfect. They got something right already with not only having the 1 hour press conference/presentation for media outlets and gaming enthusiasts, but also offering another round of treehouse for the more regular public/people who are already fans of 3DS (or even WiiU) who like treehouse presenations. And the games being playable over the weekend on events and later on on PAX etc. I think they're going all-out for a 3 month long marketing rush, and a lot of announcements regarding games will be withheld for the following weeks to keep talk and interest going.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm okay with the 3DS era ending after I treck my way through Dragon Quest VIII. In my heart, though, 3DS will never die.

With the review code of DQ8 I run out of space with my big SD card so me too I hope the end of the 3ds era lol

I need more rumors ASAP.

Going with Nate&Liam recent tweets and Laura Dark soul tip, mixed with the list with logo for official Switch partners, I would say a Dark Metroid is almost set in stone

The_Lump

Banned
Tegra X1 is also 2 years old tech at launch.

Yep. And if Switch turns out to be nothing more than a stock Tegra X1 wired to an LCD screen then I'll concur that that is a relevant comparison.

And the X1 also customized to be lower specced, according to Eurogamer. I would guess that would make it cheaper?

No, it wouldn't. As many have explained, lowering clock speeds, in itself, does not make a processor cheaper.

SuperSah

Banned
My final predictions:

EU - £349 basic SKU / £400 with Splatoon and 2 NES game downloads of choice
USA - $349 with $400 SKU above.

Releases with Zelda only in Japan and USA and EU gets Skyward Shite HD to compensate for the delay. Further worldwide release games include Rabbids, Mario 3D and Mario Kart.

half serious

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nothing can.

I believe the ending to E3 2015, with that video of people playing Mario music was close. It was for a good cause, I know, but, as it was happening, I started recalling the fireworks.

Still, the fireworks have a special place in my heart. And by special I mean as a nightmare I will never forget :lol

Hieberrr

All this talk of Tegra X1 is really making me feel iffy. Unless I'm mistaken, there are PC ports running on it now (via the Shield), such as RE5, and they run horribly.

250€ (up to 299€ if they feel lucky) would be reasonable for a new system from a marketing p.o.v. and also what I'm guessing it will turn out to be. I also would think that this time around, there will be pack-in games again (either Splatoon or Mario - or Zelda if ready) and with a focus on local multiplayer, maybe even a second set of the new control units. Though technically, you already got enough for 2player games with one set of the standard control unit anyway. That might be a high selling point for young people or families btw., not having to invest in a second 40-60 bucks gamepad.

What I've learned in discussion is that for many people, Nintendo prices for both hard- and software are always too high and they always say they wait for them to drop - and then still find other reasons why they would not getting the system (see Gamecube at 99,- price point with pack-in games in the last 1-2 years or so of its lifecycle). Been like that since forever, even during SNES/N64 times.
I won't deny that some of their hardware is sold at a higher price than the competition... e.g. WiiU, while most likely the reason for the costs are the gamepads with screen. But still, paying up the price you'd pay for a PS4 or Xbone in lower priced editions for an aging and not as well supported system is a lot to ask. And I say this even though WiiU has been my favorite console the last 3 years for the good to great exclusives, Wii BC and VC alone.

Also, one should not forget that huge chunks of the market don't care or know about specs of consoles (and the 'worth' of those specs) and more about what they see in a product. It's all down to marketing and opinions by media outlets and general talk, maybe even 'prestige'. I mean, go look at Apple. Or look at the PS2-era, even today there are people who still believe the PS2 was the most powerful console on the market thanks to early marketing showings (it did help that PS2 had one of the strongest lineups ever over the years). Market demand dictates the price, and if Nintendos marketing and their value offer (games, QOL, hitting the right notes with several groups of potential buyers) is right, they can pull a higher price without problem. Their marketing during WiiU reveal and launch was a sad display and confused even their fans to the point where it started out dead, not helped by low value suggestion since HD game development ate too much time while the system was struggling more and more. I don't think they repeat those mistakes this time around - while I think it will stay behind PS4 in popularity, I can still see them being more profitable with the Switch again and regaining public interest and trust. And if they're also going the route of hardware revisions every 2-3 years, they could go further head on head again in the long game.

Still, a lot - really, a lot - hinges on next weeks presentation. Their message, the games and the value proposal needs to be near perfect. They got something right already with not only having the 1 hour press conference/presentation for media outlets and gaming enthusiasts, but also offering another round of treehouse for the more regular public/people who are already fans of 3DS (or even WiiU) who like treehouse presenations. And the games being playable over the weekend on events and later on on PAX etc. I think they're going all-out for a 3 month long marketing rush, and a lot of announcements regarding games will be withheld for the following weeks to keep talk and interest going.

A lot of people were casting doom and gloom because of the small time frale between this reveal and the release. If done right, as you said, by a 3 months all out rush, it could be a very good strategy. They need to spend all the advertising money they withhold during WiiU lifetime to remain present for these 3 months, and deliver new announcements during this period. A blitzkrieg.

My final predictions:

EU - £349 basic SKU / £400 with Splatoon and 2 NES game downloads of choice
USA - $349 with $400 SKU above.

Releases with Zelda only in Japan and USA and EU gets Skyward Shite HD to compensate for the delay. Further worldwide release games include Rabbids, Mario 3D and Mario Kart.

half serious

Damn... I think you've found how to kill the Switch on day one.

I can't imagine they are going over the $249 basic/$299 deluxe price. That would be suicide.

I don't think they go $199 yet either. Ideally, if they could go $229 basic, $299 with more storage, bundled game, and a carrying case. That would be a great deal.

Matbtz

All this talk of Tegra X1 is really making me feel iffy. Unless I'm mistaken, there are PC ports running on it now (via the Shield), such as RE5, and they run horribly.

I guess we can't compare directly because the shield in on android and is not a full and only game console system. Games will run much better on switch
(If i understood correctly)

As far as I understand, allegedly tegra X1 is far more capable than 360 and ps3 were. But it is how it is optimized that is most important.

Allegedly, the Shield ports were quick and dirty ports like a lot of Wii U ports ended up being. Doesn't mean it isn't capable of more.

J@hranimo

Banned
250/299 max guys

Cmon now

ANd since Xb1/PS4 slims have been obtainable at 250.... they would almost be wise to shoot for 199/250 max

There is no way this will be more than 200.00 at basic, possibly 250.00 at the most premium model.

Remember, they said they want this to be profitable day 1 yet still be a competitive price.

$250 USD for the base model pretty much covers those bases.

Guys... by this time next Friday, I should have a pre-order locked in for my Switch. Holy shit.

Same here! I refuse to not have a pre-order by this time next week. I don't work Friday, so I'll probably head to Gamestop bright and early.

KooopaKid

Banned
With the review code of DQ8 I run out of space with my big SD card so me too I hope the end of the 3ds era lol

Going with Nate&Liam recent tweets and Laura Dark soul tip, mixed with the list with logo for official Switch partners, I would say a Dark Metroid is almost set in stone

What tweets?

The_Lump

Banned
You're just moving goalpost at this point.

How so? I said PS4 is 3+ year old tech in response to someone saying Switch should launch cheaper than current PS4 price. You said X1 is 2+ years old (presumabley in an effort to argue that Switch should still be cheaper than PS4). I'm saying that yes, this would be a worthy rebuttal, if Switch turns out to be nothing more than a stock X1.

Where have I moved goal posts?

It does if they can use more of a wafer.

You mean on the stockpiled X1s that nVidia sold them on the cheap? :p

Seriously though, that's not what we are talking about here. The argument was: downclocking an X1 makes it automatically cheaper.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

It's difficult to get a proper idea from those ports because of Android. It just hurts everything gaming related.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
How so? I said PS4 is 3+ year old tech in response to someone saying Switch should launch cheaper than current PS4 price. You said X1 is 2+ years old (presumabley in an effort to argue that Switch should still be cheaper than PS4). I'm saying that yes, this would be a worthy rebuttal, if Switch turns out to be nothing more than a stock X1.

Where have I moved goal posts?

Sorry, I thought you're being sarcastic about the rest within Switch (like batteries, gyro etc).

And depends on the customisation. Not everything custom costs more.

You mean on the stockpiled X1s that nVidia sold them on the cheap? :p

Seriously though, that's not what we are talking about here. The argument was: downclocking an X1 makes it automatically cheaper.

Automatically no, but indirectly it might.

saskuatch

I fully expect the Switch to be no less than $399 CDN. With a bundle being $449. Something like that. I'd love to be optimistic about the price, but I'm not. Not trying to be a downer, but I am never pleasantly surprised by things like these.

449 is a tough pill to swallow

Mandelbo

It's still killing me that the presentation's gonna be going down at 4am here... it's gonna be watching an archive of the presentation, as well as not being spoiled on anything. I bet the preorders'll eat through their stock before I even wake up too ;-;

SuperSah

Banned
It's still killing me that the presentation's gonna be going down at 4am here... it's gonna be watching an archive of the presentation, as well as not being spoiled on anything. I bet the preorders'll eat through their stock before I even wake up too ;-;

Are we sure preorders are going live then?

Yeah... online pre-orders are sure to go quickly on sites like Amazon. In-store is your best bet honestly. That's what I plan on doing.

ultrazilla

250/299 max guys

Cmon now

ANd since Xb1/PS4 slims have been obtainable at 250.... they would almost be wise to shoot for 199/250 max

Agreed. Pretty wishful thinking this would hit at $199. Unless Nintendo got a hella deal from Nvidia on the chips I concur with $250-$300 max estimates.

But who knows...maybe they'll announce a permanent price reduction for the New 3DS and price them between $130-150?

But.....just imagine a Nintendo Switch $199 base unit and $250 deluxe unit! That'd be killer!
I can dream

By this time next week, gonna be crazy in here!

J@hranimo

Banned
I think a Fire Emblem Warriors would be pretty cool, since that franchise is alive and well plus there's a lot of characters to choose from. Metroid Warriors......yikes, that wouldn't go well at all! lol

shtolky

Yeah... online pre-orders are sure to go quickly on sites like Amazon. In-store is your best bet honestly. That's what I plan on doing.

I really don't think it'll be an issue pre-ordering the system online. I think people are concerned because of the NES Classic, but I can't imagine Nintendo won't deliver enough units to fulfill early pre-orders.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
this machine is gonna provide nintendo games with super high graphical fidelity finally.

Hopefully we get graphics on par with the zelda demo from the Wii U's launch for the zelda game after breath of the wild, which was a wii u lead title definitely and doesn't represent the technology that is in the switch at all

i wanna see xenoblade in switch graphical fidelity and such by Monolith. NIntendo has a broad and open canvas for now to paint their work. Its exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom