• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Net

I would put it into the same category as Monster Hunter 4 and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

Or Street Fighter IV and Ultra Street Fighter IV.

Or Hyrule Warriors and Hyrule Warriors Legends.

Whatever you want to call those.

Another 4 days away. I just don't hope that they don't fuck up the reveal like they did with the Wii U twice by just showing people the Wii U Gamepad & letting them think that it's a Wii add-on.

To this day, a lot of people don't know what Wii U is. Nintendo has to be clear-cut, & precise on their delivery.

Nintendo already nailed the perception issue with the Switch video in October. People know what it is.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
By that logic Kirby Planet Robobot is a port of Triple Deluxe since it has the same engine and shares assets. It just has new levels so its an "enchanced port".

Splatoon from the trailer is a sequel. Same with Mario Kart since it has new stuff and is rumored to have 16 new tracks and likely same with Smash.

This "its all ports" posts are equally dumb simce the only actual port so far is Zelda and the rumored Xenoblade X.
Well that escalated quickly. Fine, it's whatever you want it to be.

If the single player is the exact same (or the exact same with an extra world or two added) then it's an enhanced port. A few new multiplayer maps doesn't change that.
lol what? Its a multiplayer game. Single player being the same has nothing to do with it plus it'll probably have new single player anywayz.

This is ridiculous.

Kinsei

Banned
I would put it into the same category as Monster Hunter 4 and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

I'd call USFIV and MH4U expansion packs (that include their base games) since they released on the same console as their previous iterations.

HW:L is what I would call an enhanced port.

Net

I'd call USFIV and MH4U expansion packs (that include their base games) since they released on the same console as their previous iterations.

HW:L is what I would call an enhanced port.

MH3 and MH3U would've been better examples I guess.

But really isn't it all the same idea? Take the same game and build on it without starting from scratch.

No. If it has new maps is a sequel. And guess what? We saw a new map already. Stop talking nonsense.
giphy.gif

new MP maps does not a sequel make.

If it was called 'Splatoon 2' and was only a few new MP maps but otherwise the same game people would riot.

Stop expecting so little out of Nintendo.

Neoxon

This

These enhanced ports are kind of like what Super Street Fighter IV was to Street Fighter IV.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
He's/she's thoroughly convinced that the Wii U enhanced ports are actual sequels, despite MK8 in particular being quite clearly an enhanced port. At this point, I'd just leave him/her be until the official reveal.
no, no let's give them the benefit of the doubt before we peg them as crazy generic Nintendo fan

lol what? Its a multiplayer game. Single player being the same has nothing to do with it plus it'll probably have new single player anywayz.

This is ridiculous.
Well...

It's not the same game. Not the same content.
reggie...?

Kinsei

Banned
MH3 and MH3U would've been better examples I guess.

But really isn't it all the same idea? Take the same game and build on it without starting from scratch.

Yep. There's nothing wrong with enhanced ports/expansions. They give fans more of what they love without having to rush out a full sequel before it's ready.

Neoxon

no, no let's give them the benefit of the doubt before we peg them as crazy generic Nintendo fan
I mean, pretty much everyone in the know referred to them as enhanced ports. Though one could argue that Splatoon may blur the line between enhanced port & sequel, but we'll need to see more footage to be certain.

Either way, Splatoon & Mario Kart on the Switch look to be the Super Street Fighter IV for those respective games more than anything else.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I mean, pretty much everyone in the know referred to them as enhanced ports. Though one could argue that Splatoon may blur the line between enhanced port & sequel, but we'll need to see more footage to be certain.

Either way, Splatoon & Mario Kart on the Switch look to be the Super Street Fighter IV for those respective games more than anything else.
If splatoon has an entire games worth of new content then I'll call it a sequel. Sounds arbitrary but I'm sure most will agree there's a distinct difference between new game using the same assets and engine with an entire games worth of new content and new game using same assets and engine but with just a few extras added in.

It's all semantics.
Sounds like they'll be great follow ups that you don't have to wait years for.
stop trying to be a mediator poo. Drama builds character.

Zalman

I don't mind the enhanced ports at all. Instead of wasting years starting from scratch, just add more stuff to what we already have. The new Mario Kart especially will be a huge game.

m4st4

If Doom re-released this year, with more maps and different skins, maybe couple of extra levels, would you call it a sequel? You wouldn't.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Unless they feature the equivalent of a full breadth of "new game" content (which is subjective, but you know) you'd be hard pressed to find anybody reasonable who considers them a full "sequel".

We don't even know the specifics but at this point it seems abundantly clear and realistic that Splatoon, Mario Kart, Smash, and Xenoblade X (assuming the rumours are true) are primarily based on the Wii U release, ported over to the Switch architecture and, in some cases, enhanced with new content and tweaks that varying in scope.

If I were to hazard a guess at how much content is added to each, in descending order of improvementes:
1) Splatoon - Wii U base, all DLC, improved models/textures/rendering, new costumes, new maps, effectively a "restart" for the game on a new system even if the core content is based on the existing game, moving forward with new updates and content via patches and DLC.
2) Mario Kart - Wii U base, all DLC, new characters and maps. Improved rendering (eg: shadow quality), mainly same assets.
3) Smash Bros - Wii U base, all DLC, same assets, improved rendering. Maybe one or two newcomers. Maybe some 3DS stages.
4) Xenoblade Chronicles X - Wii U base, DLC, same assets, improvements rendering, QOL improvements to UI and whatnot to accommodate the new system.

I don't mind the enhanced ports at all. Instead of wasting years starting from scratch, just add more stuff to what we already have. The new Mario Kart especially will be a huge game.

Yeah, newer games take a long time to make.

We could have the existing Wii U port of Smash Bros. along with the new one on one platform and on Gamecards plus with portability. :)

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Unless they feature the equivalent of a full breadth of "new game" content (which is subjective, but you know) you'd be hard pressed to find anybody reasonable who considers them a full "sequel".

We don't even know the specifics but at this point it seems abundantly clear and realistic that Splatoon, Mario Kart, Smash, and Xenoblade X (assuming the rumours are true) are primarily based on the Wii U release, ported over to the Switch architecture and, in some cases, enhanced with new content and tweaks that varying in scope.

If I were to hazard a guess at how much content is added to each, in descending order of improvementes:
1) Splatoon - Wii U base, all DLC, improved models/textures/rendering, new costumes, new maps, effectively a "restart" for the game on a new system even if the core content is based on the existing game, moving forward with new updates and content via patches and DLC.
2) Mario Kart - Wii U base, all DLC, new characters and maps. Improved rendering (eg: shadow quality), mainly same assets.
3) Smash Bros - Wii U base, all DLC, same assets, improved rendering. Maybe one or two newcomers. Maybe some 3DS stages.
4) Xenoblade Chronicles X - Wii U base, DLC, same assets, improvements rendering, QOL improvements to UI and whatnot to accommodate the new system.
stop making sense

giphy.gif

new MP maps does not a sequel make.

If it was called 'Splatoon 2' and was only a few new MP maps but otherwise the same game people would riot.

Stop expecting so little out of Nintendo.
Except I expect it to mostly be new content. A mere port really doesn't make any sense for a multiplayer game. It'll probably be 100% new content at launch with 4-8 new maps with new and old maps coming in as what happened with the first game. But thats just a guess.

We'll just have to wait till the 12th to see but I fully believe in it being a full fledged sequel that will start small amd get bigger like the first Splatoon. I'm not going to blindly believe every leak saying its an enhanced port when I fully think it through it makes more sense to do a sequel and the footage suggest seque so #TeamSequel

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Super Mario Frost Land

Sadist

Mmm... predictions...

- € 249,99 base model (retailers here will screw us over, just you watch), € 299,99 with game. 17th of March release.
- OS not all that different from 3DS/Wii U, but an improvement overall.
- Mii's are still in, but have a smaller role.
- online will be free... for now.
- Virtual Console will launch with a select amount of games; new games will be added more quickly.
- Gamecube VC at launch; Super Mario Sunshine, Wave Race Blue Storm and original Pikmin.

- Breath of the Wild at launch, even in Europe.
- Super Mario Switch reveal, november release.
- Warioware Switch it up!
- Pikmin 4
- Nintendo talks about the Wii U ports and show off Splatoon ReSplattered, Mario Kart Powered up and Smash Bros. for Switch. Other games will follow down the line, but at another time. Nintendo feels these games need another chance to shine.
- a glimpse of the new Monolith project
- Teaser for Retro Studios new game

- Third party sizzle reel;
- Games mentioned are FIFA, NBA 2K17, Skyrim Remastered, Resident EVII, Injustice 2, Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ghost Recon Wildlands and others.
- Beyond Good & Evil Prequel, BG&E HD available on eShop soon
- Rabbids x Mario
- One unexpected third party game no one could have guessed

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The paper doesn't have Top Secret! stamped on it, so obviously fake

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Mmm... predictions...

- € 249,99 base model (retailers here will screw us over, just you watch), € 299,99 with game. 17th of March release.
- OS not all that different from 3DS/Wii U, but an improvement overall.
- Mii's are still in, but have a smaller role.
- online will be free... for now.
- Virtual Console will launch with a select amount of games; new games will be added more quickly.
- Gamecube VC at launch; Super Mario Sunshine, Wave Race Blue Storm and original Pikmin.

- Breath of the Wild at launch, even in Europe.
- Super Mario Switch reveal, november release.
- Warioware Switch it up!
- Pikmin 4
- Nintendo talks about the Wii U ports and show off Splatoon ReSplattered, Mario Kart Powered up and Smash Bros. for Switch. Other games will follow down the line, but at another time. Nintendo feels these games need another chance to shine.
- a glimpse of the new Monolith project
- Teaser for Retro Studios new game

- Third party sizzle reel;
- Games mentioned are FIFA, NBA 2K17, Skyrim Remastered, Resident EVII, Injustice 2, Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ghost Recon Wildlands and others.
- Beyond Good & Evil Prequel, BG&E HD available on eShop soon
- Rabbids x Mario
- One unexpected third party game no one could have guessed

Seems accurate

Unfortunately
I stile cant accept a simple very good and solid direct for the switch reveal

That list would be a good wiiu /home console direct list

Obviously all horseshit but what would your reaction be if "Breath of the Wild" was leaked as the new Zelda title???
I like the title but there'd be a lot of "FAKE LOL".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom