• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLZ

Banned
Thoughts on the Mario game title:

If Nintendo really is going at this launch as a reinvention, it would make sense that they would want to call back to other reinventions. When did that happen?

Super Mario 64. Named after the system it was released on. Signaled a new, different era of Mario.

Super Mario Switch might not be the most endearing name in a vaccum, but it would communicate something to consumers that indicates Nintendo means business. And it's named after the system it's on. AND it ostensibly hearkens back to the SM64 approach, which might be relevant here.

I dunno, I just see it as poetry. YMMV.

64 meant something different, not just the system's name. 64 signified power and new revokutionary gfx. Switch name will signify nothing of the sort. You're still playing on one screen and switching screens. That is all. And every game will do that. You can't have the switch name next to every game's name on that system. We want a name that tells us what to expect in the game.

I can answer for him with regards to what I know, though we likely don't know the same games...

A little from column A and a little from column B.

Edit: and I'm well aware that doesn't say much so don't give me the vague insider bs crap again people... it's just the truth.

I'll never understand the point of late ports if the intent is to test the waters. Late ports don't tend to sell well on any system. That's especially true for core games. Maybe they work as cheap cash-ins?

Ready for the live stream Thursday evening then Friday I requested off work for preorder and treehouse stream. Hopefully treehouse stream is most of the day.

Coda

Probably gonna pre-order immediately on Amazon since I have a $50 gift gard I might as well use on it. Can't wait honestly, it's gonna spice up my gaming life whenever I stop playing PS4 or PC games.

TLZ

Banned
That's a good price no? Unsure what price we'll pay in Australia tax, maybe $350?

Yes should be au$350.

Unless Nintendo don't do conversions and just a simple symbol switch to $199(~au$299)... That'd be heavenly :eek:

Fan names are never a safe bet.

Like, it won't be called Super Mario Utopia because I want it to be.

That's not a name I want though. When I said safe I meant coming from Galaxy it sounds safe. But of course the name will be whatever the game stands for, as usual.

I'll calculate the number of bits to try and find out the actual name. GB was 4, NES was 8, SNES was 16, GBA was 32, N64 was 64, so that makes 128 for the GameCube; the Wii was just a little more powerful so let's add like 50 bits, so 178 bits; that would make the Wii U 356 bits, and now the Switch doesn't seem like it will be crazily more powerful than the Wii U, but it seems to be more powerful by a decent amount in docked mode, let's say 502 bits, but less so in portable mode, let's say 411 bits. Average that out and we get 456.5. Multiply by 20 years since Super Mario 64 came out in March 1997 in Europe and we get over 9000.

I'll say either "Super Mario Over 9000" as it's a simple, catchy name, or "Super Mario 9K" for greater marketing impact.

KingBroly

Banned
Probably feels right because it's already a thing and you just forgot/didn't realize, World Tour is the name of the single player campaign in Super Mario Run.

Not everyone has an Apple device.

When you have a 'Day of the Living Dead' area in the trailer, along with that Japanese Shogun Mario shirt (which I know was just for Super Mario Run) it makes you think the name is easier than you think.

Terrell

I'll never understand the point of late ports if the intent is to test the waters. Late ports don't tend to sell well on any system. That's especially true for core games. Maybe they work as cheap cash-ins?
Publishers typically have lower sales targets in these circumstances. The tricky part is we usually don't know how low, and what we do know is that 3rd parties aren't well known for realistic sales expectations.

Nairume

Banned
The cheap bit helps. Releasing during a point when there aren't much else in the way of options also helps.

Sonic Racing Transformed was a late port for the WiiU's launch, but actually ended up selling well since it filled a niche that people liked for Nintendo consoles but wouldn't be filled for another year and a half.

When you have a 'Day of the Living Dead' area in the trailer, along with that Japanese Shogun Mario shirt (which I know was just for Super Mario Run) it makes you think the name is easier than you think.

You don't need to own an Apple device to know about the game? It's also coming to Android and news about it has been plastered absolutely everywhere leading to and shortly after its release.

Besides which, my statement was "Because it's a thing and you forgot/didn't realize" the slash substitutes an and or an or. So "Because it's a thing and you didn't realize" is a true statement even if you don't own an Apple device or have never even heard of Mario Run before.

It sounds good, it's already a thing, either you didn't know or you did and you forgot. I'm not attacking you or anything (and if I'm reading too into this and you're not being defensive I apologize profusely) if anything I'm zinging the game because it's already fallen off the map heh. But I agree it's a great name. I personally wish they hadn't called the mode in SMR World Tour because I think it could make for an excellent Super Mario title. I mean it sounds super fun and like it could have a wide range of levels and scope without having to try and top "Galaxy" as a subtitle.

Hm? What's the connection between that Mario shirt and Super Mario Run?

Edit:

well shit

Super Mario Ran

NateDrake

The 3rd party games you know about, are they ports of games that are already out but coming later or are they 3rd party games thats coming out later in the year like Injustice 2?

It's a mix of those two. Some titles are slated for 2018 and haven't been announced yet, so things may change.

I hope we'll see gameplay from RISE: Race The Future soon as it had an NX logo in the teaser trailer before it was censored in a reupload. But the death of Fernando Velez must have been a serious blow.

TLZ

Banned
wasnt Emily going to report more information about Switch this week, what happened?
giphy.gif

I mean, unless Nintendo decides to release Mario Kart 8 Switch at launch, what else are they gonna pack in with the Deluxe Bundle?

It'll probably be Splatoon.

But you're acting as if we know about every Switch game. We didn't know about titles like Wii Sports, Excite Truck, and Nintendo Land until those consoles' big unveils.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The cheap bit helps. Releasing during a point when there aren't much else in the way of options also helps.

Sonic Racing Transformed was a late port for the WiiU's launch, but actually ended up selling well since it filled a niche that people liked for Nintendo consoles but wouldn't be filled for another year and a half.

Didnt Racing Transformed come out at the same time for all consoles, including the Wii U? Awesome game btw, I prefer it to Mario Kart 8.

what-ok

But you're acting as if we know about every Switch game. We didn't know about titles like Wii Sports, Excite Truck, and Nintendo Land until those consoles' big unveils.
Maybe more details will be concrete next week, but a bundled game of some type is a no brainer. I imagine it will be a game that like past Nintendo console pack ins, demonstrates the functionality of the switch. Some of which I bet we don't know about. Just saying.

Nairume

Banned
Didnt Racing Transformed come out at the same time for all consoles, including the Wii U? Awesome game btw, I prefer it to Mario Kart 8.
Huh, I guess it was.

I always assumed it was a late port since it was $40 at the WiiU's launch, but I guess that's just what the game was sold at to beginw ith.

Neoxon

It's possible, but I'd be surprised that such a launch game wouldn't have been leaked by now if it was the pack-in game. I do think we'll get two or three surprises on the first party front, but I'm of the impression that most of Nintendo's announcements for their games (again, sans two or three others) were already leaked.

what-ok

It's possible, but I'd be surprised that such a launch game wouldn't have been leaked by now if it was the pack-in game. I do think we'll get two or three surprises on the first party front, but I'm of the impression that most of Nintendo's announcements for their games (again, sans two or three others) were already leaked.
What leaks are you referring to?

random25

Sonic Racing Transformed is a launch title simultaneous with other systems, except in Japan I think where it came up late.

Maybe more details will be concrete next week, but a bundled game of some type is a no brainer. I imagine it will be a game that like past Nintendo console pack ins, demonstrates the functionality of the switch. Some of which I bet we don't know about. Just saying.

Precisely my point. The bundle might be Splatoon, but it could very well be something entirely new instead.

Regardless of what happens, I feel pretty safe in saying this: Zelda and Splatoon aren't the only launch titles from Nintendo. They aren't releasing this system with two Wii U ports only. We're either getting the Zelda/Splatoon + Mario, Zelda/Splatoon + something brand new, or Zelda/Splatoon + Mario + something brand new.

Agree to disagree. There's no way we know everything. Because if we do, it's a slimmer unveil lineup than Wii U's.

Neoxon

What leaks are you referring to?
The various leaks from Laura Kate Dale, Emily Rogers, & Eurogamer. Emily & Laura even spilled the beans on Pikmin 4 (though it's not all that surprising).

Keep in mind, I'm mainly referring to Nintendo's Year 1 games.

Nairume

Banned
Most of our leaks have either been coming from Ubisoft or parts of Nintendo that aren't as much under lock and key due to working on stuff that probably wouldn't be considered surprises anyway (re: the Splatoon and Mario Kart ports that we know about through the reveal and then the obvious Smash port). I don't see any reason to be cynical about the possibility of other surprises when considering how limited the sources for the leaks probably have been to what else would be present.

Neoxon

Precisely my point. The bundle might be Splatoon, but it could very well be something entirely new instead.

Regardless of what happens, I feel pretty safe in saying this: Zelda and Splatoon aren't the only launch titles from Nintendo. They aren't releasing this system with two Wii U ports only. We're either getting the above + Mario, the above + something brand new, or the above + Mario + something brand new.
But at the same time, the Switch version of BotW is likely gonna be out first, so the average joe isn't really gonna see it as a Wii U port like Splatoon is rumored to be. Plus, as mentioned before, while having both Zelda & Mario on Day 1 would be amazing, it'd be overkill and wouldn't leave a whole lot left for the rest of the year (especially for the summer).

But at the same time, the Switch version of BotW is likely gonna be out first, so the average joe isn't really gonna see it as a Wii U port like Splatoon is rumored to be. Plus, as mentioned before, while having both Zelda & Mario on Day 1 would be amazing, it'd be overkill and wouldn't leave a whole lot left for the rest of the year (especially for the summer).

So you think Zelda and Splatoon are the launch games from Nintendo? That's it? Really?

No wonder some of you have low expectations. Mario might not be at launch, but I'll be downright shocked if at least one more Switch-exclusive (meaning: not a Wii U port) is not out on day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom