• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time is moving pretty nice. We're making our way through November. I've been counting down each week. This Friday is Black Friday, which is my next milestone leading us closer to the event.

Time is moving pretty nice. We're making our way through November. I've been counting down each week. This Friday is Black Friday, which is my next milestone leading us closer to the event.

I wonder if they plan on releasing any teasers/official tidbits after black Friday, now that Pokemon is out. Or maybe after Mario Maker and Mario Run come out?

I mean, they'll have to announce the January 12th stream time at some point, maybe they'll do it in another teaser video. Or maybe I'm just being too hopeful...

I wonder if they plan on releasing any teasers/official tidbits after black Friday, now that Pokemon is out. Or maybe after Mario Maker and Mario Run come out?

I mean, they'll have to announce the January 12th stream time at some point, maybe they'll do it in another teaser video. Or maybe I'm just being too hopeful...

I don't think they'll announce the streams and exact dates until the first week of January.

18-Volt

I agree with all of this, god I miss Timesplitters.

Were Crytek one of the people mentioned on the Switch developer list?

They don't have to be a "partner". Nintendo could just buy the IP from them and give it to an able developer. It's not like they're gonna use it anyway. They should find David Doak and have him in charge of the project. Also, an HD trilogy remaster.

Wasn't Crytek working with NVIDIA to bring Crysis 3 to NVIDIA shield before the port got scrapped? Also, after having nothing but Sonic Boom on Wii U using it, I can't imagine Crytek found the investment to be worth it.

jacksrb

@ 3rd Party Lineup

There are two categories that Nintendo traditionally leans on 3rd parties for launch:
  • FPS (although Splatoon is a shooter)
  • Sports Games

FPS
- Ubisoft supplied Red Steel at the Wii launch (Wii also had CoD 3?) and Wii U has CoD: BLOPS2
- Likely candidates would include older versions of anything released this year, but I would love to see CoD4 remastered.

Sports
- NBA 2K was featured in the trailer, but I expect Madded and FIFA to be on the Switch at some point
- The timing will be interesting to see if there are games there at launch or if they wait to the more natural release cycles

Lgndryhr

It seems for those that skipped Wii U that they will get access to those hit titles on the Switch minus a few titles. I keep looking at Wii U's but feel the urge or want to get one as time goes on. Hoping for a clearance price soon to play a few titles like Twilight Princess HD and Bayonetta 1&2.

MomoQca

Ahh yes. Man I hope they're working on the XCX port. I want Monolith to be working on a new game. Alberto hinted we would see Monoliths game at the January event. I'm hoping that meant it's Monoliths new game.

By the time January comes they would've had over a year and half of work put in. They could have a little trailer ready.

Shocking Alberto never hinted anything regarding a reveal in January. All he said was that he heard Monolith Soft's new game is as ambitious as XCX. As a result, he speculated (not hinted) that the game could show up as XCX was revealed in the 2013 January Direct.

Unofficial question of the day:

Besides motion controls, what do you think are the "unannounced features" of the Switch?

Motion controls have been all but confirmed by Laura Dale and the announcement of Just Dance, but Nintendo has implied that there are more unannounced hardware/OS features for the Switch. So what other features do you think or hope we'll see when it's fully revealed in January?

Penguin

Kind of answering your question, but not... was thinking about some of the ports that Switch is getting... and I'm hoping with the needs of those games Nintendo builds some functions into the system on the OS level.

Talking about something like Mario Kart 8 MKTV suite being system-wide.
Or the ability to stream via Twitch/Youtube.
I'm thinking of making stickers universal.. and not just usable in specific games.

Besides motion controls, what do you think are the "unannounced features" of the Switch?

Motion controls have been all but confirmed by Laura Dale and the announcement of Just Dance, but Nintendo has implied that there are more unannounced hardware/OS features for the Switch. So what other features do you think or hope we'll see when it's fully revealed in January?

I sure hope that the share button is real, and that it can stream or at the very least record videos. That would make me very happy

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
NeoGAF, I have a fan that want me to ask you this question. Thanks, Jonno394.

Een0szx.png

What Nintendo franchise would you like to see get a new spin off and what genre would it be?

Clessidor

Nothing big actually. Mostly the stuff which is rumoured like motion controls, rumble feature, touchscreen, share feature, IR-pointer etc.
Honestly I don't expect big surprises anymore besides games and/or services.

HylianTom

Banned

What Nintendo franchise would you like to see get a new spin off and what genre would it be?

I want a stealth game featuring Ocarina of Time's Sheik. I want to see what Sheik did in the 7 years while Link was frozen.

Penguin

Een0szx.png

Oh there's a few... I actually think would be nice if Federation Force got cleaned up for console release...

But off the top of my head, I think a Kirby RPG would be really swell. Already history of various powers in the franchise and a bunch of different characters.

Kind of answering your question, but not... was thinking about some of the ports that Switch is getting... and I'm hoping with the needs of those games Nintendo builds some functions into the system on the OS level.

Talking about something like Mario Kart 8 MKTV suite being system-wide.
Or the ability to stream via Twitch/Youtube.
I'm thinking of making stickers universal.. and not just usable in specific games.

I sure hope that the share button is real, and that it can stream or at the very least record videos. That would make me very happy

The share button certainly appears real, as we see it in the official teaser and all of the marketing materials. We have no information yet on what it does, but I sure hope it works pretty much like the PS4 share button does. Continuously recording gameplay is such a nice feature to have.

Sorry for stepping on your toes Heath!!

To answer your question, I'd love to see a new Pokemon Snap. If the Switch has a camera in some capacity (optional add-on?) then it could be interesting as an AR game.

Dual view angle display so you don't need splitscreen when playing portable multiplayer. (Highly unlikely seeing as they showed splitscreen in the trailer)

Kurt

I'm sure that nintenso will have something unique to show. With all those patents lately, i think they did choose the switch to be a console where you can add new controll types. I mean, they still could add scrolling wheels on the top. Or controller with some heat/cold thing implemented. They can go everywhere with it. Yet again, nintendo will have something new unique. Brand new experience yet to reveal (switching from tv to handle isnt a new experience btw.)

jonno394

Een0szx.png

Didn't think this would be asked but when people were talking about pikmin a few days back and its reboot it made me start thinking about the gritty Advance Wars title and then I thought "could pikmin as a strategy rpg work" and my mind said yes! I want a pikmin title in the mould of fire emblem or Advance Wars with different units being different squads of pikmin, instead of holding forts etc you capture batteries and parts on the map.

Oh and as somebody else already said, a Kirby rpg needs to happen asap, a typical job system could be replaved by kirbys ability system.

maxcriden

Oh there's a few... I actually think would be nice if Federation Force got cleaned up for console release...

But off the top of my head, I think a Kirby RPG would be really swell. Already history of various powers in the franchise and a bunch of different characters.

With UbiSoft prepping a a Mario RPG, perhaps this frees up AlphaDream for just such a project.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

The next gen rumble. Which was mentioned by Laura and Emily some months ago and hinted again the Rabbids Mario RPG article.

AdanVC

This is going to be a device that will be used as a portable/handheld device as well so the less gimmicks it has, the better. This thing needs to be simple and efficient af in order to maximize console gaming on the go. I just want a simple and efficient system with a clean UI, a fully proper online method and a netflix-esque Virtual Console library.

Een0szx.png

WAAAAAARIOOOOOO WAREEEEE and a new Capitan Todd as well wich is secretely the best puzzle/spin-off of the Wii U.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The next gen rumble. Which was mentioned by Laura and Emily some months ago and hinted again the Rabbids Mario RPG article.

That rabbids rumble feature to advise about rabbids invasion remind me about rabbids from outer space

Hopefulky that aesthetic will be used in the crossover

I mean, what could rumble provide to be called next gen?

The original report regarding it said something like the feedback can change somehow depending on the situation such that it would feel very different hitting a tennis ball versus clashing swords.

Found it: http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/08/report-detatchable-nx-controllers-support-motion-control-and-force-feedback/

Apparently it's similar to the HTC Vive controller, which I personally have never used.

Edit:

No sweat! If your question didn't get a lot of attention then I would definitely reuse your question and give you a credit as well.

Ah thanks, but it looks like several people have responded, so that's not necessary!

Clessidor

Didn't even Nintendo had some rumble related patent filled a few months ago or so? I think it was some kind of stereo rumble feature or something like that.

AntMurda

With UbiSoft prepping a a Mario RPG, perhaps this frees up AlphaDream for just such a project.

You really think that "Rabbids Adventure in the Mario Kingdom" is the end of the Mario & Luigi series? We really don't know how close to the Mario RPG brand it will even come to.

Grid-based Pokémon SRPG. The variety of monsters and moves are way too interesting to be stuck in 1v1 or 2v2 stand-and-take-turns-punching-each-other battles.
http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/08/report-detatchable-nx-controllers-support-motion-control-and-force-feedback/
The force feedback functionality of the controller has been described by one source as “very similar to the Vive controller, in that it alters intensity, pulsing patterns and duration of vibration to mimic the sensation of a range of different movement types. It’s not just one vibration for all situations, there’s a notable difference between the hard abrupt feedback of a sword clash or the softer, longer thud of something like hitting a tennis ball.”

maxcriden

You really think that "Rabbids Adventure in the Mario Kingdom" is the end of the Mario & Luigi series? We really don't know how close to the Mario RPG brand it will even come to.

Not at all the end, I certainly hope not since I love the series, but potentially a break. I think how immediately we see Mario & Luigi after will depend in part on what you said, as well as whether the next Paper Mario sheds even more RPG conventions. I could be way off, no doubt. I just want that Kirby RPG!

Pokemaniac

On the other hand, this is the same Nintendo which took the (insane) stance that Paper Mario shouldn't be an RPG anymore because Mario and Luigi RPG was also an RPG series starring Mario.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I don't know, for example the rumble that Vive motion controls use to simulate hitting or catching or grabing things. Or shooting. Or the tension of the bow string. And so on. I have a Vive and I can tell you that it adds a lot to the immersion.

Also that Rabbids tidbit makes it sound like it can simulate something getting into or out of the joycon. So some type of positional rumble?

BDGAME

Een0szx.png

A new star fox RPG. But I can't see it happening after the failure of the star fox on Wii U.

Peltz

I definitely think we'll different Joycon-style attachments with different button layouts. It will make the system truly modular in terms of form factor and capabilities.

Een0szx.png

I could see Kirby getting some sort of sports game (maybe soccer?). Kirby is due for a cool spin-off title and HAL Laboratory can certainly execute.

I want a Zelda game that's done in the style of Punch Out/Infinity Blade. A choose-your-own adventure style game where you pick a path for Link to follow and then battle foes one-on-one. The combat would be fairly similar to Skyward Sword.

I "hope" that the OS can/will have some life to it like we saw on the Wii-U home screen. Being able to see Miiverse posts was a really neat idea that was brought down by how dang long it took to load up the app. I want the Switch to be fast, but I also don't want to see it be devoid of personality.

On a side note: Does anyone else hope that the dock is really as simple as it seems? I want Nintendo to sell extra docks so that I can use my Switch on multiple TV's. The more tech they throw in the dock, the less likely we are to see it sold separately OR the more expensive it will be.

TunaLover

I'm a little nervous about the recent leaks, they all mention Nintendo first party stuff, zero stuff from third parties, well outside Ubisoft-Nintendo collaborations and Just Dance, not even from japanese developers :/

oti

Banned
I'm a little nervous about the recent leaks, they all mention Nintendo first party stuff, zero stuff from third parties, well outside Ubisoft-Nintendo collaborations and Just Dance, not even from japanese developers :/

I think it's a bit much to ask for Laura to leak EVERYTHING.

Peru

The January event is obviously interesting for more than what games and how interesting the games are. New hardware launches are inherently interesting - how do the games look, how well do they run, how are they integrated in the operating system, etc. That stuff is just catnip to read about.

Well the chief leaker is Laura, who has said she only has a source for basically Nintendo and Ubisoft. Eurogamer and Emily are also eurocentric in their sourcing, for obvious reasons, so we won't know what Japanese developers are up to.

Een0szx.png

Duck Hunt as a 3D platformer. You could play as all 3 characters at once (Dog+Duck like a Banjo Kazooie duo and...GUN). Use the pointer or the touchscreen for the gun to shoot switches or weaken bad guys for the Dog to finish. Kind of like the pointer in Mario Galaxy which felt pretty great to use but the game wasn't built around you using it for anything more than a few extras.

Sheik Action game would be cool too. A retelling of OoT through Zelda's perspective as she trains to become Sheik. Could explain the "fallen hero" timeline as well since that doesn't really have an acceptable reason for existing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom