• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speely

Banned
Hope it's a cart because I want my unboxing to include a button-cute lil Splatoon cart.

Imagine how cute that little fucker will be!

oti

Banned
There is precedent either way, Nintendo Land was a pack in, though the Wind Waker bundle was a download code. I believe the original Splatoon came in under 3 GB, so the download won't be huge.

Personally hoping for a pack in. I still prefer physical releases for the most part, and even more so if they are cart sized

I'm sure it will be a physical copy, just to keep GameStop happy.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I was confused by Laura's list noting MK8 as having only minor additions when Emily's article discussed significant additions.

That's weird. I wonder if they heard something differently about Mario Kart Switch, like different sources.

NateDrake - 16 new tracks (not sure if some tracks are retro or not)
Emily - new tracks, new characters, revised battle mode, etc
Laura - Minor? I wish that she would elaborate more on that.

Also I have a concern about rumors right now because I'm totally used to Nintendo usually running a tight ship with those secrets. Suddenly there are so much leaks from certain sources (Laura, Emily, Eurogamers, NateDrake, etc) So I just had a bad feeling about it right now but I guess I'm accustomed to Nintendo being great with keeping their secrets to their hearts. Or is it plausible that some information might end up being wrong?

LordKano

That's weird. I wonder if they heard something differently about Mario Kart Switch, like different sources.

NateDrake - 16 new tracks (not sure if some tracks are retro or not)
Emily - new tracks, new characters, revised battle mode, etc
Laura - Minor? I wish that she would elaborate more on that.

Also I have a concern about rumors right now because I'm totally used to Nintendo usually running a tight ship with those secrets. Suddenly there are so much leaks from certain sources (Laura, Emily, Eurogamers, NateDrake, etc) So I just had a bad feeling about it right now but I guess I'm accustomed to Nintendo being great with keeping their secrets to their hearts. Or is it plausible that some information might end up being wrong?

That's only natural that when a new console launches, a lot of thing leaks. There are so much people involved in the launch that it's a lot harder to keep everything a secret.

XCX is a pretty good idea, imo. While it may not be a system seller, giving the game a second chance at life isn't a bad thing at all. Especially if they try to build up a base of consumers that like open world games with stuff like Skyrim and Zelda. Even if some of these end up being straight ports, the first six months of this console look to be epic--puts the WiiU and 3DS to shame right out of the gate.

If you would have told me as a kid, that I'd be able to play something like this portably, I'd lose my shit.

Hell, I hope they port over the entire Wii U library. Portable Pokkén, Bayonetta, WindWaker HD, Fatal Frame V...I'd buy every single one.

Debirudog

I mean, the Monster Hunter 3 ultimate for the Wii U was essentially an enhanced port of other ports. Capcom is kinda guilty of doing this but I tend to forgive those kind of games due to the amount of new content and options they tend to include as well. I don't mind double dipping if the game is dramatically improved.

If Nintendo prices the new enhanced ports right, it would be a much more appealing for Wii U owners.

Plum

Right now, concerning third-party we know that :

- Square Enix is working on Dragon Quest X and Dragon Quest XI
- Ubisoft is working on Just Dance 2017, Mario RPG : Invasion of the Raving Rabbids and Beyond Good & Evil 2
- Bethesda is working on Skyrim : Special Edition
- Take-Two is working on NBA2K17
- SEGA is working on Project Sonic 2017
- Telltale Games is working on Guardians of the Galaxy
- Grasshooper Manufacture is working on The Silver Case
- Koei Tecmo is working on Nobunaga's Ambition
- 505 Games is working on Terraria

I excluded Bandai Namco, even though they're likely to work on the Smash Bros port, it's not their game. So, if I remove all the third party of which we know what games they are working on (of course that's assuming they aren't working on something else, even though they certainly could), that leave us with :

These are the studios that owns devkit and have yet to announce their games (or have them leaked through Laura :p)

This must mean that they aren't making games for the Switch and that Nintendo is actually doomed, right?

Nah but seriously I'm not expecting many other third party leaks considering all the leaks so far have regarding third parties have either been about things we already know about (Skyrim, NBA) or things related to Nintendo itself (Rabbids). I'm expecting at least a few of those companies to announce something in January with more coming at E3.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That's only natural that when a new console launches, a lot of thing leaks. There are so much people involved in the launch that it's a lot harder to keep everything a secret.

Really? I don't really remember much from Wii and Wii U Launch Speculations, so are there any games leaks before they got announced for Wii and Wii U?

keakster

Really hope the VC works in a decent way...with some sort of transfer, even if it's a buck or two to get them...we'll see.

After paying for the upgrade to the Wii U for some titles, I really hope I don't have to again.

I'm hoping that there will be a way to transfer save states and a big assortment of games that weren't previously available for VC
- Chrono Trigger

And maybe even some GameCube games?

Snakeyes

kw1uISo.png

What crossover(s) would you like to see from Nintendo with another company?

As always...

jxszuxw6.png

This crossover always seems to fly under most people's radar but seems like a no-brainer to me, potential licensing issues aside.

- The most iconic video game heroes clash against the most iconic manga heroes. This is much, much bigger than something like Nintendo Vs. Capcom, especially when the latter already has two of its most popular characters in Smash and with the possibility of more later down the line. The only other crossover bigger than Jump would be Disney, but Kingdom Hearts already has that on lock.

- Jump Stars and Smash already have several gameplay similarities, so a mashup of the two should feel very natural.

- Crazy potential for an Adventure Mode.

- We all know Sakurai and his team will do Jump characters justice just like they did with third party characters in Smash.

- Goku in Smash. Saitama Vs. Captain Falcon. Tell me that wouldn't be hype.

Oersted

kw1uISo.png

Virtua Tennis × Mario would be a obvious one. Nintendo doesn't bother too much anymore with Mario Tennis and Sega does Mario & Sonic already anyway.

Williams vs Peach and Nadal/Federer vs Mario/Luigi would be nice stuff for commercials.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Am I the only who is hyped as fuck that DQXI is coming to the Switch? I know that it will also be on PS4, but the idea of having it portable makes so much more appealing to me.

If it's as good as DQVIII with modern graphics, that is a killer app for me right there.

As a side note: I think people underestimate how huge the Switch could be in Japan.

Mr Swine

Banned
I'd expect a separate cartridge. Whatever size memory card is bundled with the Switch should have the same amount of available space whether you get the pack-in game or not. I could see them doing a DLC code as well. Just not a pre-loaded card - that would cause some production inefficiencies.

I think it will be pre installed in the unit itself, That way they save a few bucks instead of mass producing a million cards just for Splatoon

LordKano

Am I the only who is hyped as fuck that DQX is coming to the Switch? I know that it will also be on PS4, but the idea of having it portable makes so much more appealing to me.

If it's as good as DQVIII with modern graphics, that is a killer app for me right there.

As a side note: I think people underestimate how huge the Switch could be in Japan.

As a huge DQ fan, I would be hyped if I didn't already know that there's zero chance it's coming overseas.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
As a huge DQ fan, I would be hyped if I didn't already know that there's zero chance it's coming overseas.

Wait how could you know that? They localized the VII remake, and Nintendo brought IX over. Why wouldn't they do the same with XI?

Speely

Banned
Am I the only who is hyped as fuck that DQXI is coming to the Switch? I know that it will also be on PS4, but the idea of having it portable makes so much more appealing to me.

I am very, very hyped about DQXI Switch. I also hope they bring over Builders just because it is an obvious good fit for a portable system.

Mr Swine

Banned
kw1uISo.png

Mario and Sonic platformer Crossover

- Bowser and Eggman team up after their worlds collide after Bowsers Magic and Eggmans Contraptions fail.

- Eggman provides Robotic version of classic Mario Enemies while Bowser empowers Eggmans robots with Magic

- Mario and Sonic play the same levels but take different paths

- Mario fights Eggmand and Sonic fights Bowser and vice versa

- Marios Friends meet up with Sonics Friends

oti

Banned
Wait how could you know that? They localized the VII remake, and Nintendo brought IX over. Why wouldn't they do the same with XI?

Initially you wrote DQX, the MMO. I think the ship for a Western localization has shipped on that one. DQXI however? Sure. Definitely looking forward to that on Switch.

As always...

jxszuxw6.png

This crossover always seems to fly under most people's radar but seems like a no-brainer to me, potential licensing issues aside.

- The most iconic video game heroes clash against the most iconic manga heroes. This is much, much bigger than something like Nintendo Vs. Capcom, especially when the latter already has two of its most popular characters in Smash and with the possibility of more later down the line. The only other crossover bigger than Jump would be Disney, but Kingdom Hearts already has that on lock.

- Jump Stars and Smash already have several gameplay similarities, so a mashup of the two should feel very natural.

- Crazy potential for an Adventure Mode.

- We all know Sakurai and his team will do Jump characters justice just like they did with third party characters in Smash.

- Goku in Smash. Saitama Vs. Captain Falcon. Tell me that wouldn't be hype.

Nintendo vs Jump would be the most glorious crossover ever.

Neiteio

Man, it'd be amazing if From Software brought Dark Souls to Switch. Although it'd be sad, too, since Iwata wouldn't be around to do an Iwata Asks. He would find the Souls games fascinating.

LordKano

Yeah I was talking about DQX, the MMO, which will probably stays in Japan.
DQXI however will most likely be localized, maybe by Square themselves this time. I will probably double dip on 3DS and Switch, because the 3DS old-school style is just too appealing for me to ignore it lol.

Plum

Man, it'd be amazing if From Software brought Dark Souls to Switch. Although it'd be sad, too, since Iwata wouldn't be around to do an Iwata Asks. He would find the Souls games fascinating.

Yeah, it would be sad.

I do agree, Souls on the go would be pretty damn great. If they somehow managed to get 3 on there with both DLCs I'd buy it day one. I wonder if the switch is strong enough to handle the Bloodborne/Souls 3 engine.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Yeah, it would be sad.

I do agree, Souls on the go would be pretty damn great. If they somehow managed to get 3 on there with both DLCs I'd buy it day one. I wonder if the switch is strong enough to handle the Bloodborne/Souls 3 engine.

Almost certainly. The Souls 3 engine is actually fairly low-impact.

AmyS

SEGA and M2 has done fantastic with with the 3D Classics series. I can only hope they were serious when talking about perhaps re-releasing Sega Model 3 arcade games.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...created_3D_versions_of_classic_Sega_games.php

FACILITATING OTHER RE-RELEASES

Okunari says that Sega is open to helping other companies who've had successful releases on Sega's classic consoles to do 3D remakes of their games.

"During the Wii Virtual Console days, we worked with other developers and were able to port games that were on Megadrive and other Sega systems," says Okunari. "Those were all made on our side. However, negotiations with some publishers, like Capcom and Bandai-Namco, didn’t go through. We did consider negotiating again when the 3DS came along, but business-wise, nothing really came together.

For many fans, the true holy grail of reissues would be if M2 moved on from their ports of Sega's Model 2 arcade system boards to Model 3. Okunari says that there's a reason that hasn't happened yet.

abkGD7k.jpg

The Model 3 classic Virtua Fighter 3

"This has more to do with how the teams are divided amongst Sega as a company," he notes. "Up until now, M2 has been focused on 8-bit and 16-bit ports, whereas Dreamcast and Saturn titles were done by staff that were assigned to those games from teams like AM2 or Sega of China. The idea behind that was to make these porting lines run as efficiently as possible, with the teams learning the know-how behind specific systems."

"At the time, if M2 had researched porting Model 2 or 3 on their own and come to Sega for that, we’d have told them we already had teams assigned to it, or the market isn’t right at the time. That said, that sort of corporate direction has ended recently, and M2’s is the only port line that really exists anymore. There’s a possibility that ports for Model 3 could continue on their side."

"Model 3 might actually be easier than Model 2," says Horii. "We’re obviously interested, but Sega would have to make the business call there. We’ve mostly been focusing on getting Game Gear and 3D Classics working, so there hasn’t really been any time to research much outside of that. If the opportunity presented itself, I’d certainly consider it."

"Over the past 11 years of the Sega Archive Project, M2 has slowly crept its way through SEGA hardware history, learning each system one by one," says Okunari. "As the hardware evolves, external chips get brought in, and the boards themselves get powered up - but a lot of the core programming is the same. Their studies are evolving along with the hardware itself. They’ve entered the 1990s, so perhaps we’ll continue along that route."

While the 3DS / New 3DS isn't powerful enough, nor does it have enough screen resolution for those games, Switch is more than adequate for the task.

Daytona USA 2 on Switch?

Just. Do. It.

Ideally a Dark Souls 1-3 pack would be absolutely bonkers.

And also as long as I'm dreaming, I do really hope there is an exclusive From game in the works. Everyone always says Metroid and it does sound like a good pairing but really any exclusive for Nintendo would be very welcome.

Plum

Almost certainly. The Souls 3 engine is actually fairly low-impact.

That's not the problem, the issue is From's consistently poor optimization jobs. If they can't get it working flawlessly on the X1/PS4 how could they make it work flawlessly on the Switch?

Persona7

Banned
Yeah, it would be sad.

It actually uses the engine they created for Dark Souls 2.

Does anyone else hope that they revise the Joy-Cons before launch? Compared with the tablet and the dock, which look sleek and sexy, the Joy-Cons look like prototypes. The Pro Controller doesn't look that great either, but the Joy-Cons are the worst. The color scheme, the sticks, the "+" and "-" buttons... It's like they were designed by a different person from the rest of the system. I really hope they end up redesigning them, the same way they did the DS, the 3DS stick and the Wii U GamePad.

Ideally a Dark Souls 1-3 pack would be absolutely bonkers.

And also as long as I'm dreaming, I do really hope there is an exclusive From game in the works. Everyone always says Metroid and it does sound like a good pairing but really any exclusive for Nintendo would be very welcome.

The desire for them to make a Metroid is a bit strange. The one thing that the games they're known for has in common with Metroid is that they're made up of large interconnected worlds. But the way they're done are different. Metroid is built heavily around platforming, which is basically non-existent in the Souls games. They're also built around shooting, another thing that isn't really present in the Souls games. The shooting in Bloodborne isn't really like Metroid as it's primarily there for parrying rather than actually doing damage. And most of all, their games are notorious for wonky cameras which would be downright disastrous for a game like Metroid. And that's without even getting into the whole framerate issue.

That's not to say that they couldn't make a Metroid game, but there are enough questions about their current games that I don't get why some want it to be such a lock.

Coda

Does anyone else hope that they revise the Joy-Cons before launch? Compared with the tablet and the dock, which look sleek and sexy, the Joy-Cons look like prototypes. The Pro Controller doesn't look that great either, but the Joy-Cons are the worst. The color scheme, the sticks, the "+" and "-" buttons... It's like they were designed by a different person from the rest of the system. I really hope they end up redesigning them, the same way they did the DS, the 3DS stick and the Wii U GamePad.

I can sort of seem where you're coming from with the controllers, they looked a little cheap looking but I realized soon after that those shots too are indeed prototype shots. If you look back at other console reveals with Nintendo, they're hardware always looks slightly different and more refined when the system is actually out. You can notice this with when they first revealed the Wii U, the gamepad looked slightly different.

latest

So what I think is that the console will look more refined as a whole when it launches. Nintendo has always nailed comfortable and unique control schemes and the Switch looks brilliant in regards to comfort. I even think in short spurts the Joy-Cons look to be comfortable controllers for simple games.

Sega M2's continuation of their amazing 3DS releases is what gets me most hyped about the Switch.
Besides bringing us Model 1, 2 and 3 games, I would re-buy the original series as well.

Scud Race on Switch would be insane.

Well, that and Nintendo 64 games on Virtual Console.

Being able to use the Joycons for motion detection in Just Dance is kind of a big deal. I know it was discussed before that they had an IR pointer, but full motion? Was that ever mentioned before?
That actually came up in rumors quite a bit before the upside down pointer.
I don't see how that's possible. All those games apart from Xenoblade sold extremely well already. Mario Kart 8 sold 8 million copies, Smash Wii U 4.99, Splatoon 4.57, Mario Maker 3.73. Maybe Splatoon could if it remains packed-in for a while, but as stand-alone releases, those games won't outsell the Wii U versions.
Mario Kart Wii sold over 36 million copies and SSB Brawl over 13 million, so the ceiling for these games on a successful system is pretty high even if there are zero repeat buyers from Wii U.

That actually came up in rumors quite a bit before the upside down pointer.

Mario Kart Wii sold over 36 million copies and SSB Brawl over 13 million, so the ceiling for these games on a successful system is pretty high even if there are zero repeat buyers from Wii U.

I think the Switch being successful would impact Mario Kart 9 and Smash Bros. 5 more than launch-window enhanced ports of Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4. But if the Switch is successful enough to get those ports' sales that high, you definitely won't hear me complain. I don't think it's realistic, though.

jnWake

Right now, concerning third-party we know that :

- Square Enix is working on Dragon Quest X and Dragon Quest XI
- Ubisoft is working on Just Dance 2017, Mario RPG : Invasion of the Raving Rabbids and Beyond Good & Evil 2
- Bethesda is working on Skyrim : Special Edition
- Take-Two is working on NBA2K17
- SEGA is working on Project Sonic 2017
- Telltale Games is working on Guardians of the Galaxy
- Grasshooper Manufacture is working on The Silver Case
- Koei Tecmo is working on Nobunaga's Ambition
- 505 Games is working on Terraria

I excluded Bandai Namco, even though they're likely to work on the Smash Bros port, it's not their game. So, if I remove all the third party of which we know what games they are working on (of course that's assuming they aren't working on something else, even though they certainly could), that leave us with :

These are the studios that owns devkit and have yet to announce their games (or have them leaked through Laura :p)

For Namco we have this too:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1176639

No listed games but says "several".

Smash 4 has sold more than Brawl thanks to 3DS version. If the Smash rumors are true it isn't because of the Wii U, it's because Smash 4 is just too damn big to start again from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom