• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little nervous about the recent leaks, they all mention Nintendo first party stuff, zero stuff from third parties, well outside Ubisoft-Nintendo collaborations and Just Dance, not even from japanese developers :/

I think third party games are just harder to get multiple sources to collaborate on. I'd say to calm those nerves a bit until we see the January 12th event.

TunaLover

Well the chief leaker is Laura, who has said she only has a source for basically Nintendo and Ubisoft. Eurogamer and Emily are also eurocentric in their sourcing, for obvious reasons, so we won't know what Japanese developers are up to.
You're right, better wait until january before going all pessimistic ;p

Duck Hunt as a 3D platformer. You could play as all 3 characters at once (Dog+Duck like a Banjo Kazooie duo and...GUN). Use the pointer or the touchscreen for the gun to shoot switches or weaken bad guys for the Dog to finish. Kind of like the pointer in Mario Galaxy which felt pretty great to use but the game wasn't built around you using it for anything more than a few extras.

Sheik Action game would be cool too. A retelling of OoT through Zelda's perspective as she trains to become Sheik. Could explain the "fallen hero" timeline as well since that doesn't really have an acceptable reason for existing.

Both really great suggestions.

maxcriden

I'm a little nervous about the recent leaks, they all mention Nintendo first party stuff, zero stuff from third parties, well outside Ubisoft-Nintendo collaborations and Just Dance, not even from japanese developers :/

Well, we know from EA they have a title coming at some point. NBA 2K16 is all but guaranteed. Oh, and Skyrim was on the list as well. Lego is probably happening. The new Monster Hunter game. All the announced partners' games. So there should be quite a bit more third party games this year than are on the list.

Interfectum

Todd Howard on the Switch

What do you think of the Switch, Nintendo's newly announced console that is portable but also hooks up to your TV?
I love it. I got to play it. I will tell you – well, maybe that's an N.D.A. thing. One of the best demos I've ever seen. Probably the best demo I've ever seen. At E3.

Was it a Nintendo game?
I mean the device itself. I think it's really smart what they're doing. We're definitely going to be supporting it. It's the first time we've done something on Nintendo. If you don't count the old NES stuff. Home Alone. Or Where's Waldo?

Can you really bring Skyrim with you on the go?

It's the same game on the TV and on the other screen.

http://www.glixel.com/interviews/sk...alks-switch-vr-and-elder-scrolls-wait-w451761

Samemind

NeoGAF, I have a fan that want me to ask you this question. Thanks, Jonno394.

Een0szx.png

What Nintendo franchise would you like to see get a new spin off and what genre would it be?

Star Fox Hunting Action

What Nintendo franchise would you like to see get a new spin off and what genre would it be?

Fire Emblem Warriors

Splatoon side-scrolling action game

I'm honestly pretty tapped out on Nintendo spin-offs otherwise. They need to focus on revitalizing their core single-player franchises.

MoonFrog

Een0szx.png

Fire Emblem, JRPG :p. I would like another attempt at that, learning from and building on TMS#FE but doing more with the crossover and having a more interesting setting and story.

A Zelda JRPG or SRPG might be cool. Could do the Sealing War as an SRPG.

What we really need though is for the next Metroid game to be a game like Mr. Mosquito, where you're a Metroid looking for sustenance, dodging ice beams and missiles!

I'm honestly pretty tapped out on Nintendo spin-offs otherwise. They need to focus on revitalizing their core single-player franchises.

Really though, mostly this. Less spin-offs, more core series service. Give me a solid Mario/Zelda/Metroid/FE experience and keep those coming then branch out.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I love it. I got to play it. I will tell you – well, maybe that's an N.D.A. thing. One of the best demos I've ever seen. Probably the best demo I've ever seen. At E3.

Wait so they had a closed doors presentation for devs at last E3? The NDA bit screams "There's something unique about the system we don't know about yet". I wonder what it could be?

maxcriden

I made a separate thread about Skyrim given the previous controversy over whether or not it was coming. I credited you in the OP, Interfectum. Thank you!

Josh5890

Een0szx.png

I know that the 2D Mario games have received a lot of flack for being overdone I would love to see more experimentation like what they did with giving Luigi his own levels. If they gave more characters (Peach, Toad, ect) their own levels based on their skill sets I would buy that for $30 once a year.

Wife asked me what I wanted for Christmass. I thought a while and came down on Nintendo fun bux. My hype for the switch is so real that I'm already hoarding the money. I might even write "Mario Maker Switch" on the gift card.

Malakai

I'm wondering if the Switch will be backwards compatible with old Wii Remote Plus and Wii U Pro controllers? It looks like the triggers are analog on the Switch and Joy Cons controllers.

Wait so they had a closed doors presentation for devs at last E3? The NDA bit screams "There's something unique about the system we don't know about yet". I wonder what it could be?

He probably just can't say anything at all to describe what they were shown in the demo, whether it's something we saw in the trailer or not.

He probably just can't say anything at all to describe what they were shown in the demo, whether it's something we saw in the trailer or not.

That's what I'm thinking. Either that or he's referring to the fact that he had a demo at E3 as being under NDA. That quote isn't very easy to interpret.

I was more taken aback by the extent of the praise tbh.

That part is definitely exciting! It's awesome to see a third party that isn't Ubisoft praising Nintendo hardware. I just wanted to chime in with a different stance on the interpretation of the quote. I don't think we know everything about the Switch yet, but I'm not sure I would jump to that conclusion based on this quote.

javadoze

Een0szx.png

F-Zero - Character Action game starring Captain Falcon
I mean, he's a bounty hunter in this cyberpunk world. So this'd actually make sense in the context of F-Zero and Captain Falcon's character.

Kirby RPG
This'd seem like a good fit. Partly because I think the Kirby universe and characters would be well suited for this kinda thing, also because I want something to fill the gap Paper Mario games have left for awhile.

Waluigi Homewrecking Crew
It's a real-estate or City simulator game. I don't know why, but roll with it.

Mysterious Murasame Castle Souls
Seen this idea being thrown around and it sounds interesting and fairly close in spirit to the original.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Een0szx.png

Mario Kart X Smash Bros aka Nintendo Kart by MK team

I'm pretty sure the team would do their best with those tracks' visual arts and those interesting locations. Playing as Kid Icarus' Pit and driving through several locations like Murasame Castle, Pikmin Garden, Ice Climbers' Mountains with Polar Bears, Duck Hunt Pond, along with Animal Crossing, Hyrule Kingdom and Mute City.

Pokemon Snap 2

What a missing opportunity for them to not making any for Wii U. GamePad would be a great Controller for that.

Smash Bros X JRPG

They could come up with anything with the plot. Cliche or not, like some kind of bad guy found a method to traveling around through dimensions and recruit those villains to set up a council of villains trying to screw over the heroes.

You would able to recruits good numbers of Nintendo characters.

Duck Hunt X ?

I would take anything to see a brand new Duck Hunt but I had a doubt about it.

The Mysterous Murasame Castle X 3D beat'em up or action RPG

Anything would works for me.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Metroid Puzzle League

Five Nights of F-Zero

Call of Duty: Advance Modern Warsfare

Super Mario Bros: Don't Move Edition

Roo

The original report regarding it said something like the feedback can change somehow depending on the situation such that it would feel very different hitting a tennis ball versus clashing swords.

Found it: http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/08/report-detatchable-nx-controllers-support-motion-control-and-force-feedback/

Apparently it's similar to the HTC Vive controller, which I personally have never used.

Edit:

Ah thanks, but it looks like several people have responded, so that's not necessary!

Grid-based Pokémon SRPG. The variety of monsters and moves are way too interesting to be stuck in 1v1 or 2v2 stand-and-take-turns-punching-each-other battles.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/08/report-detatchable-nx-controllers-support-motion-control-and-force-feedback/

I see, thanks guys. For some reason I never read that article.
Or maybe I did but completely forgot about. Either way, it sounds really cool

I don't know, for example the rumble that Vive motion controls use to simulate hitting or catching or grabing things. Or shooting. Or the tension of the bow string. And so on. I have a Vive and I can tell you that it adds a lot to the immersion.

Also that Rabbids tidbit makes it sound like it can simulate something getting into or out of the joycon. So some type of positional rumble?

I took that as the Rabbids messing with the controls but your idea makes more sense and it's less intrusive.

That Todd Howard quote has me super excited. Like, everything up until now has been good, nice praise- especially the stuff coming from Nvidia.

But calling it the best demo he's ever seen? That's very intriguing. Hopefully it's not some PR BS and he was actually very surprised and impressed by the Switch and whatever demo he's talking about.

Plum

I was more taken aback by the extent of the praise tbh.

I know Todd sits on a magnificent throne of lies but he definitely seemed genuine in his appreciation of the device. He doesn't seem to be someone who just blindly praises new consoles, else he'd have said something like about the Playstation Pro, so this is definitely exciting. Makes me think it's more powerful than my cynical mind expects; slightly below X1 levels is what I'm thinking.

Retrobox

That Todd Howard quote has me super excited. Like, everything up until now has been good, nice praise- especially the stuff coming from Nvidia.

But calling it the best demo he's ever seen? That's very intriguing. Hopefully it's not some PR BS and he was actually very surprised and impressed by the Switch and whatever demo he's talking about.

Here's the thing: I like getting excited when Nintendo does cool things. But this comment....it just seems too good to be true, you know?
Or perhaps I'm assigning too much value to what he said. It could still be PR talk, even though he actually seems sincere.
I dunno man. I guess January just can't come fast enough.

Clessidor

Een0szx.png

Honestly I just want to see some kind of non-violent exploration or adventure type of game starring Rosalina and her Luma's. I think she really has potential for a game protagonist.

Besides that I would love to see a Legend of Zelda-Spin-Off calles The Ruler of Hyrule starring Zelda/Shiek from OoT and take place after she send Link back in time. In my mind it would be a game about rebuilding Hyrule by using Shiek's sneaking skills and Zelda's wisdom in some form of adventure game with additional diplomacy mechanics. Something like that which would fit to the character.

Pachimari

I'm actually fine with Switch releasing on March 17. I got plenty of games to play until then. Overwatch, Rainbow Six: Siege and I just bought Titanfall 2. And with the usual games of FIFA 17 and Final Fantasy XIV, and Final Fantasy XV releasing next week, I think I'm covered until the Switch release. I'm not even looking for too many releases at launch. I think Splatoon and 3D Mario will do just fine until Breath of the Wild and Smash Bros. comes out in the Fall.

I'm actually fine with Switch releasing on March 17. I got plenty of games to play until then. Overwatch, Rainbow Six: Siege and I just bought Titanfall 2. And with the usual games of FIFA 17 and Final Fantasy XIV, and Final Fantasy XV releasing next week, I think I'm covered until the Switch release. I'm not even looking for too many releases at launch. I think Splatoon and 3D Mario will do just fine until Breath of the Wild and Smash Bros. comes out in the Fall.

I actually came here to post this. What if... maybe... just maybe... Nintendo actually dodged a bullet by not releasing it this Holiday? With that thread about NPD numbers going around I've been thinking about this a lot. Back then it looked like a horrible decision, but maybe it kinda wasn't...

Pachimari

I actually came here to post this. What if... maybe... just maybe... Nintendo actually dodged a bullet by not releasing it this Holiday? With that thread about NPD numbers going around I've been thinking about this a lot. Back then it looked like a horrible decision, but maybe it kinda wasn't...
Well, January-April is very booked too..

Zubz

Banned
Hell no.

Go play Smash if you want that, F-Zero doesn't need to go down the path of Metroid and get its own Federation Force.

Face it: at this point, people care more about Captain Falcon as a character than F-Zero proper. And this is from a guy that desperately wants F-Zero GX HD.

Federation Force also received backlash for a number of justified reasons beyond "the first Metroid game in 6 years (First good one in 8) is a spin-off." If Nintendo can pull off a good Falcon Brawler, by all means they should go for it.

Face it: at this point, people care more about Captain Falcon as a character than F-Zero proper. And this is from a guy that desperately wants F-Zero GX HD.

Federation Force also received backlash for a number of justified reasons beyond "the first Metroid game in 6 years (First good one in 8) is a spin-off." If Nintendo can pull off a good Falcon Brawler, by all means they should go for it.

Nah, Federation Force ain't that bad at all. It was really all just poor timing. If Metroid was a living franchise I'd think it would have had a chance to live.

MoonFrog

Tbh, they could pull an MGS2 on Metroid and I'd be down so long as the game was good Metroid just as MGS2 was good MGS.

I love Samus to pieces but...I care a lot more about Metroid gameplay than playing as her specifically.

Heck, I care about it more than Metroid having the feel/story I'd like to have. I'd have played Other M despite its character assassination, if it hadn't sounded like everything wrong with Fusion done worse.

This doesn't mean I don't have certain desires for the franchise beyond SM/MP gameplay, but it does mean that that takes precedence for me.

Hence my disagreement some pages ago with Skittzo about FROM Metroid. The sorts of virtues FROM could bring are not the sort of virtue I'm looking for first in Metroid, but rather ancillary virtues.

Edit: Top of page so for reference I was inspired to say this because of the Captain Falcon conversation on last page.

jmizzal

Een0szx.png

Most people might not like this, but I wish Nintendo would have made Metroid Prime FF for WiiU, a 4 player co-op online shooter in the metroid universe with HD graphics, would have been a good spin off, and I doubt it would have gotten a much hate then a ugly game with DS graphics.

But now Nintendo just needs to make a new HD Metroid on the Switch

MacTag

Banned
Impa Gaiden (Team Ninja)
Hyrule Tactics (Square Enix)
Murasame Mystery Dungeon (Spike Chunsoft)
Chozo Souls (From Software)
Duck Hunter (Capcom)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom