• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to reiterate Laura said this list is far from complete and she doesn't have solid sources from third parties.

Laura Kate Dale
Laura Kate Dale‏ @LaurakBuzz
To clarify the list tweeted today of Switch software is far from a complete line up. Most third parties I don't have solid sources at.

Take Ni No Kuni 2 for example. It was said to come to PS4, but wasn't called an exclusive. They haven't announced any other systems. I wouldn't be surprised if NNK2 came to Switch also considering the first game was on the DS.

Speely

Banned
Just to reiterate Laura said this list is far from complete and she doesn't have solid sources from third parties.

Take Ni No Kuni 2 for example. It was said to come to PS4, but wasn't called an exclusive. They haven't announced any other systems. I wouldn't be surprised if NNK2 came to Switch also considering the first game was on the DS.

This. Laura has a Ubisoft and a Nintendo source, so we have a bit clearer idea about games coming from those camps. There are lots of other potential camps.

Also, I think NNK2 a pretty safe bet within the first six months.

Plum

That and it just doesn't make sense that there's such a long list of developers creating games for it yet only Bethesda and Ubisoft are in the leaks. Either they've all ditched Nintendo in the past month or there just aren't any sources within them to leak stuff with.

I think the Switch being successful would impact Mario Kart 9 and Smash Bros. 5 more than launch-window enhanced ports of Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4. But if the Switch is successful enough to get those ports' sales that high, you definitely won't hear me complain. I don't think it's realistic, though.

This is assuming there will be a Mario Kart 9 and Smash Bros. 5 on the Switch. Which isn't a safe assumption in my mind, as the ports are rumored to have a substantial amount of brand new content and we've historically had only one entry of those series per console.

I'm gonna bet that the Smash, Kart and Splatoon we have coming next year will be the only ones seen on the first Switch. Though it certainly depends on how they approach console generations from now on.

kw1uISo.png
I'd love for Nintendo to keep working with Platinum. They were teasing a Sheik game and I think they'd be perfect for it. Give them a good IP and enough time and creative freedom and they'll make something special out of it.
I'd like to see Nintendo do something with Atlus as well. TMS #FE is one of the best JRPGs of the generation thus far despite the Fire Emblem part not being particular special.
Give them some money to make another console/HD JRPG if they can't get Persona 5 Crimson.
I think a Nintendo level in Kingdom Hearts would be cool. Not sure how realistic nor if it would actually fit, but that would be pretty great even if it's just a Mario/Link summon.
I think Skylander Superchargers was a very mediocre title and a waste of crossover potential. The Sonic Lego pack looks very good so maybe that would be a worthy investment.

This is assuming there will be a Mario Kart 9 and Smash Bros. 5 on the Switch. Which isn't a safe assumption in my mind, as the ports are rumored to have a substantial amount of brand new content and we've historically had only one entry of those series per console.

I'm gonna bet that the Smash, Kart and Splatoon we have coming next year will be the only ones seen on the first Switch. Though it certainly depends on how they approach console generations from now on.

I'm wondering if smash kart and splat could be continuously updated throughout the life of switch, negating any possible need for seequels

I'm wondering if smash kart and splat could be continuously updated throughout the life of switch, negating any possible need for seequels

Yeah this is how I'm seeing these "ports". They'll probably just title them "____ Switch" and continuously release free and paid DLC throughout the Switch lifetime. Then whenever a new console comes along with a big new feature, or a big enough jump in technology they can release brand new entries in those series.

120v

bwahaha no...

those are the money makers. will definitely be on switch unless it's killed off early

oti

Banned
bwahaha no...

those are the money makers. will definitely be on switch unless it's killed off early

There was only one Mario Kart Wii despite its crazy sales numbers. Same for 3DS. Unless Nintendo wants to change how they do business there won't be more than one Mario Kart for Switch.

120v

There was only one Mario Kart Wii despite the Wii being the Wii. Same for 3DS. Unless Nintendo wants to change how they do business there won't be more than one Mario Kart for Switch.

they're only porting mario kart, splatoon, ect because just 10 mil people bought a wii u. porting it to a (presumably) more successful console will bring the games to millions more

its like saying Skyward Sword couldn't happen because wii already had a zelda at launch. you're still dealing with the same 3-4 year turnaround on these games because the ports are ultimately just that - ports. only thing i might be iffy on is smash 5, but assuming the console has a healthy life, these games will get their proper switch iteration

Speely

Banned
There was only one Mario Kart Wii despite its crazy sales numbers. Same for 3DS. Unless Nintendo wants to change how they do business there won't be more than one Mario Kart for Switch.

To be fair, the Switch might be have multiple iterations and thus last longer as a platform, as indicated by the scalable Tegra architecture. Given that, and assuming that this really is a "reboot" for a Nintendo that is adjusting its business model to one that takes modern gaming trends into account, I could see MK9 being released in 3-5 years after launch.

All dependent upon the platform being one that is iterative, of course. Within a traditional console's lifetime, I would agree with your logic.

That and it just doesn't make sense that there's such a long list of developers creating games for it yet only Bethesda and Ubisoft are in the leaks. Either they've all ditched Nintendo in the past month or there just aren't any sources within them to leak stuff with.

Exactly. I really wished some people would think things through before they speak and go off. Just look at the facts and context. There's a big list. Like we know Atlus will be there. They could be working on anything. There's just no sources at these companies. No sources for Squares games. No sources at Atlus.

Like when Liam says there are a "few surprises" I'm guessing he only means from the sources they have at certain devs.

This. Laura has a Ubisoft and a Nintendo source, so we have a bit clearer idea about games coming from those camps. There are lots of other potential camps.

Also, I think NNK2 a pretty safe bet within the first six months.
Yeah. It's so exciting because of all the games we still don't know. My excitement is through the roof for this event. Also, even if some games are leaked we don't know what Mario X Rabbids will even look like for example.

they're porting mario kart, splatoon, ect because only about 10 mil people bought a wii u. porting it to a (presumably) more successful console will bring the games to millions more

its like saying Skyward Sword couldn't happen because wii already had a zelda at launch. you're still dealing with the same 3-4 year turnaround on these games because the ports are ultimately just that - ports. only thing i might be iffy on is smash 5, but assuming the console has a healthy life, these games will get their proper switch iteration

They are enhanced ports, and have actually been described as "half old content, half brand new content" so I would guess that whatever ideas they were planning to bring to the sequels of those games will just be added to those ports.

Also, consider how successful (and aggressive) they've been with DLC for those titles. If anything that makes me even more certain that they'll stick to the once per generation "rule", since they can treat those games as a platform/service.

120v

They are enhanced ports, and have actually been described as "half old content, half brand new content" so I would guess that whatever ideas they were planning to bring to the sequels of those games will just be added to those ports.

Also, consider how successful (and aggressive) they've been with DLC for those titles. If anything that makes me even more certain that they'll stick to the once per generation "rule", since they can treat those games as a platform/service.

skeptical how much "new content" is really there, but we'll see i guess

there's always a mario kart at some stage in development, given splatoon's success there'll probably always be a new splatoon in development, smash takes a little longer but it's a always a priority... really don't see these being a generation away. worst case scenario they make it to the tail end of the system's life and get up-ported to switch 2

MoonFrog

Again, never played Splatoon, but I think that is a game that could use a big budget, high production values (for Nintendo) sequel. It is a different situation with Kart and Smash, which already are overflowing with content and production values. I think Splatoon is more in the position where it should take the next step to cement its status, whereas the other two are more in a position to rest on their laurels with enhanced ports, particularly Smash, which is unlikely to see a sequel for quite some time. Kart 9 could be out in 1-2 years if they wanted to, but I could see Kart 8 enhanced port just being the Switch cart game throughout its life.

Maybe if the Splatoon enhanced port is large enough what I'm saying separates them is meaningless, but I think Splatoon has more to do than the other two in either case and whatever Switch is getting needs to be more than just deluxe Splatoon 1 and closer to a sequel than is the case with the other two, ideally speaking.

keakster

Again, never played Splatoon, but I think that is a game that could use a big budget, high production values (for Nintendo) sequel. It is a different situation with Kart and Smash, which already are overflowing with content and production values. I think Splatoon is more in the position where it should take the next step to cement its status, whereas the other two are more in a position to rest on their laurels with enhanced ports, particularly Smash, which is unlikely to see a sequel for quite some time. Kart 9 could be out in 1-2 years if they wanted to, but I could see Kart 8 enhanced port just being the Switch cart game throughout its life.

Maybe if the Splatoon enhanced port is large enough what I'm saying separates them is meaningless, but I think Splatoon has more to do than the other two in either case and whatever Switch is getting needs to be more than just deluxe Splatoon 1 and closer to a sequel than is the case with the other two, ideally speaking.

One of the rumours was that they are adding a more robust single player experience to Splatoon. Which would be awesome for a pack in title, solid SP and fun online MP.

I completely forgot Tantalus said they've been working on multiple Switch games for awhile now! Maybe there's a chance we could see one of their games next year too!

I completely forgot Tantalus said they've been working on multiple Switch games for awhile now! Maybe there's a chance we could see one of their games next year too!

They could be working on the XCX port, or other ports. Since they seemed to imply multiple titles though one could be something new.

Regardless, I think there are still plenty of games that haven't leaked, hopefully many of them brand new games. January can't come soon enough.

They could be working on the XCX port, or other ports. Since they seemed to imply multiple titles though one could be something new.

Regardless, I think there are still plenty of games that haven't leaked, hopefully many of them brand new games. January can't come soon enough.

Ahh yes. Man I hope they're working on the XCX port. I want Monolith to be working on a new game. Alberto hinted we would see Monoliths game at the January event. I'm hoping that meant it's Monoliths new game.

By the time January comes they would've had over a year and half of work put in. They could have a little trailer ready.

Nairume

Banned
Ahh yes. Man I hope they're working on the XCX port. I want Monolith to be working on a new game. Alberto hinted we would see Monoliths game at the January event. I'm hoping that meant it's Monoliths new game.

By the time January comes they would've had over a year and half of work put in. They could have a little trailer ready.
They had Monster Games handle Xenoblade 3DS. I imagine they'd similarly contract a port of X out instead of having monolith do it themselves this time around.

Branduil

I think the Mario Kart and Smash ports will be the only versions of those games for Switch.

Splatoon I can see getting a true sequel down the line.

I think Tantalus made Mass Effect and Deus Ex ports so maybe they're doing some 3rd party stuff.
Or XCX would work too if they're not going to add new content.
I don't imagine they're making an original title of note since they're the funky barn guys, but I also don't think they're the ones being MK8 and Splatoon since those have new content.

I'm not hugely sure about this whole "Smash will become a service" thing, and it boils down to one reason: Sakurai.

Smash Bros. has always been developed differently from the likes of Mario Kart in that it has been more of a "auteur's project". Sakurai is the one and only guy who decides what gets into his games or not. I'm just not sure how much longer he wants to stay on Smash. Ever since finishing Kid Icarus Uprising back in early 2012, dude's been working on Smash 4 for like five years, lol. He most likely wants to move on at some point (He left HAL Labs to get away from his other creation, Kirby).

I always just thought he'd probably add some more content to Smash Switch, and then call it quits for a couple of years while he works on something new altogether. Now you might be thinking "well, couldn't they just get a new director if he left?", and while that is a possible option, they may just not feel comfortable continuing the Smash 4 project without the guy who's been the project lead for the massive bulk of development.

So really, Smash becoming a service boils down to two factors: A) How much longer is Sakurai willing to work on Smash and B) If/when he leaves after it releases, will they bring in a new project lead to direct and design any future content.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I excluded Bandai Namco, even though they're likely to work on the Smash Bros port, it's not their game. So, if I remove all the third party of which we know what games they are working on (of course that's assuming they aren't working on something else, even though they certainly could), that leave us with

Well, the source said that there are few Switch titles in development, along with Smash Bros Switch. Edited: Never mind, I misread your comment but I will just leave it here tho.

JbR9wWl.png

Also thank you for answering my questions.

"Smash Bros. is planned to be a launch title"

Oops.

EDIT: Not discrediting Toto here but I think it's kinda funny to read that with what we know now lol

Yeah, you got to be out of your mind if you think ports from the Wii U are going to sell more on Switch.

It depends on what Switch does for sales. Their objective here isn't individual sales for these titles, though. It's to pad out a launch lineup with enough games to catch the interest of people who didn't buy a Wii U before the story of the console becomes "this has no games." A great game every 4-8 months on the Wii U didn't help sales, but every 3 weeks or so on the Switch? That could help.

Oops.

EDIT: Not discrediting Toto here but I think it's kinda funny to read that with what we know now lol

Well, it could easily have been PLANNED for launch. Also worth nothing that "launch" has unfortunately become a word that tends to mean "anytime in the first 6 months" and not "day one"

TDLink

Oops.

It probably could have been. Likely they were debating internally which port to have at launch, with any of them being possibilities. I doubt Smash -needs- to come out later, they're doing it to space releases.

I'm not hugely sure about this whole "Smash will become a service" thing, and it boils down to one reason: Sakurai.

-snip-

So really, Smash becoming a service boils down to two factors: A) How much longer is Sakurai willing to work on Smash and B) If/when he leaves after it releases, will they bring in a new project lead to direct and design any future content.

That's an interesting point. I'd say Sakurai could work on Smash DLC while working on a brand new game at the same time, since DLC is typically much less demanding and time consuming. The other alternative is to finally hand over the Smash reins, and I definitely think it's a good time for that.

Kid Icarus: Uprising has shown me that Sakurai really needs the freedom to create brand new games. That was honestly one of the best games of this generation, and I would love to see him make something else new.
Perhaps my Kirby x Mega Man idea??

LordKano

Don't know if this has been discussed already, but Target has a release date for Breath of the Wild : June 13th 2017.
http://imgur.com/y6P2lCI
Coincidentally, it's one day before E3, and likely the day when Nintendo will hold whatever they have planned for E3.

Don't know if this has been discussed already, but Target has a release date for Breath of the Wild : June 13th 2017.
http://imgur.com/y6P2lCI
Coincidentally, it's one day before E3, and likely the day when Nintendo will hold whatever they have planned for E3.

Probably a placeholder, with Target assuming Nintendo wouldn't be crazy enough to bring Zelda to another E3 before release (which they totally might be).

xandaca

kw1uISo.png

What crossover(s) would you like to see from Nintendo with another company?

I maintain that financing an exclusive new TimeSplitters would be a fantastic move for Nintendo. On a point by point basis:
  • The humour and heightened graphical style would allow Nintendo to move into the biggest game genre in the Western market without alienating their younger audience base.
  • The series' legacy would attract a lot of attention and interest in the console from outside that core Nintendo fanbase.
  • Nintendo's previous ownership of Rare would presumably make collaboration easy with anyone at Crytek remaining from Free Radical.
  • Investing in a high profile exclusive FPS would be a positive suggestion to third parties that Nintendo are interested in building an audience in traditionally non-Nintendo genres.
  • Although the last game was a long time ago, the series' two multiplatform games sold well on Gamecube.
  • Specious in the extreme, but if Mario Maker inspired Nintendo fans' design creativity, how about giving them a whirl with TimeSplitters' always great FPS mapmaker tools?

Frankly, I think it'd be a much better investment than BG&E2, which is far more niche and in a genre Nintendo already has a lock on. My ideal game would be a new, realistic GoldenEye-esque semi-linear stealth FPS with IR aiming and tons of cheats, but TimeSplitters would be a much stronger commercial prospect than something brand new and is easily close enough.

I maintain that financing an exclusive new TimeSplitters would be a fantastic move for Nintendo. On a point by point basis:
  • The humour and heightened graphical style would allow Nintendo to move into the biggest game genre in the Western market without alienating their younger audience base.
  • The series' legacy would attract a lot of attention and interest in the console from outside that core Nintendo fanbase.
  • Nintendo's previous ownership of Rare would presumably make collaboration easy with anyone at Crytek remaining from Free Radical.
  • Investing in a high profile exclusive FPS would be a positive suggestion to third parties that Nintendo are interested in building an audience in traditionally non-Nintendo genres.
  • Although the last game was a long time ago, the series' two multiplatform games sold well on Gamecube.
  • Specious in the extreme, but if Mario Maker inspired Nintendo fans' design creativity, how about giving them a whirl with TimeSplitters' always great FPS mapmaker tools?

Frankly, I think it'd be a much better investment than BG&E2, which is far more niche and in a genre Nintendo already has a lock on. My ideal game would be a new, realistic GoldenEye-esque semi-linear stealth FPS with IR aiming and tons of cheats, but TimeSplitters would be a much stronger commercial prospect than something brand new and is easily close enough.

That would be fantastic but I don't really see it happening. Timesplitters just feels like a dead franchise for whatever reason, though you do make a lot of good points. It would be a very nice surprise title to see, since we don't really have any rumors about an FPS at launch (though I'd imagine CoD will be there, and maybe Battlefront since EA has stated they're working on a "game or two").

Tregard

Soothsayer

I agree with all of this, god I miss Timesplitters.

Were Crytek one of the people mentioned on the Switch developer list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom