• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delio

With Atlus opening up a 25th anniversary website for Shin Megami Tensei, the possibility of getting that SMTV goodness this year on the Switch jumps up. Please Atlus!

Would they just drop a teaser for SMTV in the conference? Would be interesting if they did.

oti

Banned
Wouldn't it be awesome if Mario Maker was just pre-installed and if you bought the next 2D Mario your account would get access to all the new assets for Mario Maker? Of course they won't do that since Mario Maker sells on itself but that would be a nice surprise.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Considering it's already fully localised and was already briefly shown, chances are high that we will see it on Friday.

For the record, I agree with that statement. I also believe Mario Switch will release no later than June 2017.

But the closer we get to the 12th/13th, the more cynical side of me starts to consider the possibility of Switchmas only covering launch window titles, with E3 2017 being the big reveal for holiday 2017 titles and beyond. In this scenario, the cynical side of me also sees Mario only being mentioned briefly in regards to it being the big E3 title for Switch and launching Holiday 2017.

Such a scenario just seems like such a WiiU-era Nintendo thing to do, and that is what worries me.

Oregano

Would they just drop a teaser for SMTV in the conference? Would be interesting if they did.

I think they would. They just finished a first party project with Atlus and were willing to do cross promotion for SMTIV.

If it's exclusive it's big enough to give a minute or two of air time.

AniHawk

i'm going to go out there and say persona 5, us/eu release on april 4/7 for the switch version, coming out same day as the 7th and 8th gen versions.

yes, i know what john hardin said.

Oregano

i'm going to go out there and say persona 5, us/eu release on april 4/7 for the switch version, coming out same day as the 7th and 8th gen versions.

Nah I could Persona 5 happening but it would/will be the expanded version.

A certain section of GAF would riot if Persona 5 went multiplat

marmoka

Banned
John Hardin also said this: Persona 5 Confirmed for 2015 Release Date in North America

So, he could be wrong again, and a P5 version for Switch could be on the way. Or he could be right this time.

I still have hopes for Persona 5 Switch. It would be great for Japan, being the portable version of the game.

If it gets real, which version should I get? PS4 version or Switch version? This will be a really hard decision.

Phoenixus

Hope so. I'm content with getting the PS4 edition but would not say no to a portable option.

tsab

With Scalebound cancelled now and with the rumour that Platinum games develop a new game for Switch. Wouldn't make sense that Nintendo might picked it up?

Or is it Scalebound Microsoft owned IP?

Edit: oh sorry it's been discussed already

AniHawk

John Hardin also said this: Persona 5 Confirmed for 2015 Release Date in North America

So, he could be wrong again, and a P5 version for Switch could be on the way. Or he could be right this time.

hardin wasn't wrong. he didn't inform people of the correct information. if you're in august and you're looking to release a game 3-4 months away, and you don't have basic things down like... voice actors, then the game isn't coming out in 3-4 months. atlus is a small company. it's not like word didn't get to him.

it's stuff like that that gives me reason to believe the truth isn't being conveyed here either. i think you can contrast that with yakuza kiwami and yakuza 6, which had trailers at psx, while persona 5 had nothing, even though it had a big presence on the show floor. in addition, a delay of less that two months might be necessary for programming, maybe on the european side, for instance... if there were lots of bugs found or something. but the timing is pretty good if you wanted to ride a launch wave in conjunction with japan doing the same thing.

this is more of a 'what if' scenario - but i think that it makes persona 5 certainly possible.

Yep of all the possible games to get a Switch version, this was always at the next to top section with only even more obvious stuff like Shovel Knight or Yooka-Laylee at the top due to literally everything else Atlus being on Nintendo, the close partnership, and Atlus would want more sales from people who only play on portables.

If it doesn't happen I would be shocked. (And sad since I'd have to play so many hours in pain since playing on tv hurts. But I will get it on PS4 if it somehow doesn't come to Switch. Its one of the few games that I will suffer for.)

oti

Banned

I still have hopes for Persona 5 Switch. It would be great for Japan, being the portable version of the game.

If it gets real, which version should I get? PS4 version or Switch version? This will be a really hard decision.
I'd be Switch all the way. I can't imagine this game being too demanding on the hardware, this game is style to the max. Why wouldn't I want the option to play on a handheld and on the TV? All I need is a hint of a Switch release and I'll wait for that version to drop.

MoonFrog

Yeah betting P5 comes at some point if Switch does anything as a portable, particularly in Japan. Nintendo has a proven audience for Atlus. Persona has proven portable appeal. There is, presumably, no Vita successor. Switch is more than strong enough to handle a P5 port.

I doubt it'll be base version or near P5 western launch.

I'll get it whenever/if it comes. Even if, as I'm assuming, I already have it elsewhere. I'd prefer to play it on Nintendo in the future.

Dremorak

Banned
Yeah, don't know why anyone would prefer to play p5 on ps4 if they own a switch. It's not going to look much different, and you can grind on the go!

Branduil

I'd be Switch all the way. I can't imagine this game being too demanding on the hardware, this game is style to the max. Why wouldn't I want the option to play on a handheld and on the TV? All I need is a hint of a Switch release and I'll wait for that version to drop.

I mean, it has a PS3 version, so it would obviously be more than possible to port it to the Switch.

Speely

Banned
I'd like to think I have no "gimme" lines here. Also I made one of these up from nothing:

M54MhI1.jpg

EVH

So there was a rumour that looked legit with screens of the Gamestop POS app having Monster Hunter Switch listed. Was this posted here? I think i saw it on reddit.

Years ago there was a brief Amazon entry for Kid Icarus Wii U. It was probably a mistake, or it could of been a port of the 3DS version. Or got cancelled quickly before being announced. Whatever.

Now.. I want that game or a sequel on Switch. It was so awesome.

random25

I won't expect it to happen, but if it does, I'd get the Switch version rather than the PS3 version (I don't have a PS4). Playing RPGs on a portable is the best way to go for me. And having it on a cart means faster boot up and loading times, which is a great bonus.

Agreed. I'm not playing a Persona game in front of the TV for this many hours.

Zalman

hardin wasn't wrong. he didn't inform people of the correct information. if you're in august and you're looking to release a game 3-4 months away, and you don't have basic things down like... voice actors, then the game isn't coming out in 3-4 months. atlus is a small company. it's not like word didn't get to him.

it's stuff like that that gives me reason to believe the truth isn't being conveyed here either. i think you can contrast that with yakuza kiwami and yakuza 6, which had trailers at psx, while persona 5 had nothing, even though it had a big presence on the show floor. in addition, a delay of less that two months might be necessary for programming, maybe on the european side, for instance... if there were lots of bugs found or something. but the timing is pretty good if you wanted to ride a launch wave in conjunction with japan doing the same thing.

this is more of a 'what if' scenario - but i think that it makes persona 5 certainly possible.
I think at this point, if it were to happen, Hardin would have known. We're only two months from release. That's cutting it close.

I will say I would find it weird if it didn't happen. Atlus games generally do well on 3DS. Persona Q was on it too and it sounded like it was a success. I think P5 would do well on Switch. I could at least see it getting the enhanced version in a few years.

AniHawk

I think at this point, if it were to happen, Hardin would have known. We're only two months from release. That's cutting it close.

I will say I would find it weird if it didn't happen. Atlus games generally do well on 3DS. Persona Q was on it too and it sounded like it was a success. I think P5 would do well on Switch. I could at least see it getting the enhanced version in a few years.

well my point is with hardin that whether or not he knows doesn't matter - he would have to have known that persona 5 wasn't coming out in 2015 and said it was anyway.

i slot it into the maybe category. there's enough there that i think it could happen. the timing is weird in that it supports both ideas that it can and cannot launch on that day.

AniHawk

Yeah. Apparently GameStop often has listings for games that don't come out or aren't even confirmed.

gamestop's pos updates at midnight, i think? this allows for the potential of some games to get leaked ahead of announcements. amazon is all robots though, so you can time it to a specific hour and the listing will go up with your announcement.

that said, it would have basically been a fuckup on gamestop's side if the game was shown this far in advance if the distributor was adamant about the reveal timing.

Mista Koo

Is anyone making a spoiler free watching thread for the presentation?

I still haven't decided if I should watch it ~5 hours late or just laugh at the face of my sleeping schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom